• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Interfectum

ibj7cLuefCCmJf.jpg

j3sFMXqA3iVrx.jpg

Developer: IO Interactive

Publisher: Square Enix

Platforms: PC (Steamworks), 360, PS3

Release Date: November 20th, 2012

Genre: Stealth

Engine: Glacier 2

Boxart: View Boxart

See Also: Review Thread, PC Performance Thread

jXvnp5yTRkYFU.jpg

Agent 47 is a genetically-engineered assassin created from the recombinant DNA of five of the world's most dangerous criminals. The fact that the DNA came
from multiple ethnicities allows 47 to blend in to a certain degree in most places in the world, or at least not look immediately suspicious and out-of-place (lol).
His name comes from the last two digits of a bar code on the back of his head – 640509-040147. He is a tall, bald, blue-eyed, no-nonsense individual and
usually wears a suit with black leather gloves and a red tie and is known to disguise himself. Engineered from conception to be the perfect killer, 47's strength,
speed, and intellect are above the human norm. 47 is modeled after David Bateson, the veteran actor who has voiced 47 in every Hitman game to date.

jpEzewWX8qf9Y.jpg

Hiding in Plain Sight: Each level takes place in a semi-open environment which is populated with non-player civilians and armed guards. Although mission criteria
may vary, the goal is generally to find 47's assigned target and kill them by any means possible. Though the path may appear linear, it is possible through various
ways to accomplish the mission and approach a target directly without eliciting a violent reprisal. The game essentially emphasises stealth and silent kills without raising
alerts. As such, disguises plays a large role in gameplay as he will be able to access different areas depending on what he’s wearing.

Instinct: A controversial gameplay mechanic that allows Agent 47 to see enemies and civilians through any layout and predict their movements. It also shows
points of interest such as objects that can be used to stage accidents and propane tanks. With the help of this skill, the player can easily avoid any enemy without being
spotted. You are never forced to use Instinct and if you want to completely turn it off, there will be options for this in the game's menu.

Purist Mode: The ultimate test in Hitman: Absolution. Available from the get-go if you want to challenge your skills to the extreme, Purist Mode will punish
you repeatedly. You will get very little help from the game with regards to the HUD. No mini-map, no weapon information and you'll even need to count the
amount of bullets in your gun to reload at the right times.

Rumored Kinect Support: Your face will be mapped to the back of Agent 47’s bald head so you can see your visceral reactions during Absolution’s amazing action sequences. (screenshot)

jqEmhPHIDrPrs.jpg

Contracts mode allows the player to play through any level of the game and select up to three NPCs in it to mark as targets and also to establish a set of conditions for the
Contract, such as hiding all bodies, not being spotted, not changing the starting suit/disguise, only using specific weapons, etc. The player is allowed to pick any suit and starting
gear to use in the mission. In order to save the challenge, the player has to clear it themselves. For completing Contracts, players earn in-game currency to spend on disguises,
suits, weapons and weapon upgrades.

In order to create a Contract, the player plays through a level (or at least a part of one), selecting up to three different NPCs as targets, eliminates them in any way of their
choosing and leaves the level through one of the possible exits. The Contract, along with the conditions under which the player completed it such as which disguises and weapons
were used, can then be saved.

juUqqer5RkVGv.jpg

Launch Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq5xRd07L4w

Cinema Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N79x5dU-puw

Debut Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h6xYbkXyLg

Disguises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKvyRT1RWNY

Nuns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb_Gpqoc1wQ

17 Minutes of Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcJhijTI1Ps

Contract Mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYDoQiL_fE

Giant Bomb Quick Look: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-hitman-absolution/17-6815/

j8vXXTTSxqQzP.jpg

Official NeoGAF PC Performance Optimization / Discussion

PC Port by: Nixxis - Also known for the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Hitman Absolution system requirements (minimum)
  • CPU: 2.4 GHz dual core Intel or AMD processor
  • RAM: 1GB of system memory
  • Graphics: DirectX 10 compatible card with 512 MB RAM. Nvidia 8-series or AMD Radeon 3000 series graphics cards.
  • Operating system: Windows Vista
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • 10 GB of hard drive space

Hitman Absolution system requirements (recommended)
  • CPU: 2.6 GHz quad core Intel or AMD processor, Core i5 or Phenom X2
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Graphics: DirectX 10 compatible card with 1GB of video memory, Nvidia 400-series or AMD 5000-series.
  • Operating system: Windows 7
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • 10 GB of hard drive space

PC Only Perks:
  • Increased texture resolution
  • Increased gesture resolution
  • Higher shadow Map resolution
  • Full mouse and key support
  • Optimised PC user interface
  • Optimised for low and high end PCs
  • Steamworks integration including Steam cloud saves / achievements

Dx 11 Only Perks:
  • Global illumination
  • Bokeh
  • Tesselation
  • Eyefinity support
  • HD3D support

jUu1hpgQbHd4M.jpg

Hitman: Sniper Challenge is a stand alone sub game of Absolution, which is exclusive to copies pre-ordered from GameStop, Steam and Green Man Gaming (non-NA customers).
The game follows Agent 47 as he embarks on a mission to assassinate Richard Strong, Jr., the CEO of weapons manufacturer Stallion Armaments, and his entourage of bodyguards.

The Hitman Collection - Pre-purchase Absolution on Steam now and get immediate access to The Hitman Collection.

Retailer Pre-Order Stuff:
  • Amazon - High Tech Suit and Bartoli Custom Pistol – The advanced High Tech suit provides Agent 47 with 50% increased armor paired with the Bartoli Custom, an
    engineered precision weapon, complete with sight and silencer.
  • Best Buy - Public Enemy Suit and the Bronson M1928 submachine gun – The Original Assassin can dress in a stylish Public Enemy gangster suit armed with the Bronson
    M1928, a classic submachine gun with high fire rate and deadly stopping power.
  • GameStop - Agency Kazo TRG sniper rifle: The Agency Kazo TRG Sniper Rifle is sleek and modern with an Agency finish. This weapon is fully upgradeable with both
    scope and silencer. Keep a watchful eye on your target from a safe physical distance. Engage the enemy while remaining in a concealed position. Complete your mission
    without being detected.
  • Walmart - High Roller Suit and the Krugermeier 2-2 Pistol – The High Roller suit dresses Agent 47 in a fancy tuxedo discreetly outfitted with the Krugermeier, an accurate,
    reliable stealth weapon with a built-in silencer.

j7zd28IjgY0yf.jpg

Official NeoGAF Review Discussion

G4TV - 5/5
Hitman: Absolution is a triumph, top to bottom. Fans of the series can look forward to the best entry yet, without question.

IGN - 9.0
After several years of increasingly totalitarian games where you're very much following a pre-determined path, it's nice to have a game that doesn't just encourage improvisation; it requires it.

CVG - 9/10
Overall though, Absolution delivers on the anticipation of a series that has been lingering menacingly in the shadows for six long years. It does so with creativity, genuine player choice, the odd smile and an unrivalled panache for turning murder into an art form.

Games Radar - 4.5/5
Absolution continues Hitman’s tradition of open-ended gameplay, accommodating the silent assassins and blatant sociopaths among you.

Gaming Trend - 90/100
Stealth is my genre, and from sneaky signature kills to spectacularly horrifying 'accidents', nobody does it quite like Agent 47.

OPM and OXM - 9/10 (very early review, grain of salt required)
Here [Hitman has] finally been perfected in what is probably a peak for the series so far. It takes the ideas that made the original games so great and presents them in a modern context of checkpoints, hints and forgiveness but without sacrificing any of the challenge, excitement or shivery-skinned thrill of pulling off some impossibly and beautifully planned hit.

Game Informer - 8.75/10
Despite all of Absolution's improvements, Hitman still isn't for everyone. The pace remains slower and more methodical than most action games, and you'll find yourself reloading checkpoints countless times, in part because they are frustratingly tied to physical locations. If you take a different approach than what the developer had in mind, you may miss them completely. Attaining the rank of Silent Assassin still requires patience, skill, and more than a little trial and error. But while Hitman is slower than most games, it's also smarter. Devising a strategy to your advantage, and leaving before anyone knows you're there are the hallmarks of a perfect hit, and Absolution proves Agent 47 is still the gaming's premier hitman.

Polygon - 8.5
It's not as cerebral as Hitman: Blood Money. But that doesn't stop Hitman: Absolution from being a smart, unique action title, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Destructoid - 8.5/10
While some simplifications could irk fans who may complain that the game has been watered down, the range of difficulty options should provide ample satisfaction for players who seek a classic Hitman experience without totally alienating those trying its unique blend of stealth and exploration for the first time.

Xbox 360 Achievements - 83/100
Hitman: Absolution is the sequel to Blood Money that fans have been itching for. In terms of game mechanics it’s the best Hitman that IO Interactive has ever created, although the lack of inherently unique settings is a disappointment.

EGM - 8.0/10
Hitman: Absolution features plenty of smart new features and tweaks that modernize the franchise without abandoning the essence of what made it great-but the new save system is awful enough to undo a lot of that good.

GiantBomb - 4/5
Longtime Hitman fans will undoubtedly be put off by some of the changes Io has made here, but if you're willing to dig a little deeper, you'll find a game that's as rewarding as any Hitman prior.

Joystiq - 4/5
Hitman: Absolution has its flaws, but its healthy dose of stealth and creative assassinations reminded me once again why it can be so good to be a bad guy.

Gamespot - 7.5/10
Hitman: Absolution's vivid world and enjoyable stealth-action gameplay overshadow its few notable inconsistencies.

Eurogamer - 7/10
Hitman: Absolution doesn't make you feel that way often enough for my liking, but amidst the inevitable and deserved grumbling about its awkward checkpoint system, small levels and weird obsession with its daft story, hopefully those who persevere with it will be rewarded by enough of those moments to make the whole thing feel worthwhile.

Edge - 7/10
At its worst, Absolution is never less than a solid action-stealth title.

Gametrailers - 6.9/10
The check bounced.

PC Gamer - 62/100
A passable stealth game, but one that betrays almost everything that, until now, has made Hitman great.

Videogamer - 5/10
The problem with Absolution is that its new custodians from the Kane and Lynch team seem to have fundamentally misunderstood what made Hitman great.

Game Arena - 3/10
I felt like I was taking crazy pills.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Although the reliance on the weak story is in some ways the core of the problem, there’s also the fact that Absolution has become a stealth game rather than a Hitman game. It’s mostly about avoidance rather than blending in or surveying, and the execution of the conceptual shift is lacking.

Shacknews
It's difficult to tell what IO was trying to do with the characters: were they meant to be intentionally funny, or are they simply poorly designed? Given the story features sexy ninja assassin nuns and a villain with a robotic hand, I wonder why the game takes itself so seriously.

Kotaku
a good deal of Absolution's story involves a man named Dexter.

Conan O'Brian Reviews Hitman
Youtube Comment said:
fuck IGN, GTTV, Gamespot.

Rev3 - Adam Sessler
RATING: BUY IT
PRO:
-Cinematic Presentation
-Flexible sandbox gameplay
-Instinct helps discover choices
-Visually stunning
CON:
-Frustrating checkpoint system
-Point style rewards one playstyle

Zero Punctuation
Conclusion: Not as good as Blood Money but not the worst Hitman either.

jrlrWzOr45FL.jpg

** This section was last updated on December 10th, 2012 **

December 10 Console/PC Patch Notes:
Here are the main patch notes for the console patch that is now in submission with the platform holders. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, and point 1 covers all of the crash incidents we have seen reported.

- Increased game stability that will prevent crashes leading to loss of save data.
- Contracts Mode is now accessible without downloading or entering an access code. [PS3 only]
- The disguise parameters on ‘Professional’ difficulties have been tweaked.
- Displayed high scores are now selected from all difficulty levels.
- Players are no longer ‘spotted’ during the end cutscene of the ‘train station’ checkpoint in Run For Your Life.
- Using ‘sleeping pills’ in Contracts mode will now be listed as ‘Accident’ rather than ‘bare hands’ as the weapon used.
- Numerous network and GUI improvements for Contracts Mode.
- Train Station Spotted bug fixed.

We may be able to give you slightly more granular detail next week - and as soon as we have a more concrete ETA for patch release we will let you know. Currently it is still on course to be live some time next week (beginning December 10).

Thanks a lot for your patience, and the feedback you've given on these forums - it's helped us to pinpoint and fix things which have been causing issues, and we really appreciate it.

jitZFlF4fsZyu.jpg

Hitman 6 is a sequel to Hitman: Absolution and will be developed by Square Enix Montreal of Square Enix Europe along with Eidos Montreal. If so, this would
make it the only Hitman game so far not being developed by IO Interactive alone (even though Square Enix is credited on Absolution). Square Enix says this
game will be a "premium quality" game for the next generation consoles.

Hitman: Absolution Director discussing Hitman 6 and beyond:
"It’s like with Treyarch and Infinity Ward," Blystad revealed. "You have an IP that has been developed. They will feed off each other, as well as somethings that stand out. I think with these big franchises it takes a long time to develop just one game. If you can, work a little bit in parallel at least and help each other out."

First concept art of Hitman 6 (notice the Square Enix Montreal logo on the bottom right):

jbJ4anHxIIw9F.jpg

jU26HFvdSFzAB.jpg

Hitman Collection on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/283/
* Hitman: Contracts is not included due to licensing issues.

Death to Spies Collection on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2821/
* Warning: These games aren't near as polished as the Hitman series so beware of jank. If you can get past that though then they are pretty decent Hitman-style experiences.

jbtPp359PaQVwE.jpg

ibmQucyvjtgBlT.gif

dc89

Lovely OT! Can't wait for this game, it looks really good. People were too quick to get on IO's back in the early days of development but it seems they may have made the perfect Hitman game for beginners and advanced players alike!

Nice OP.

I just want to have fun with this game. Hitman has never really tried to be a serious stealth or action game. I just want to do some ridiculous things. Kill someone with a plunger, for example. Complete all the challenges. Explore every level. Find easter eggs, hear some funny dialogues. That is what makes the Hitman games so great.

Really looking forward to Contracts mode as well. Endless replayability.

Saty

Rumored Kinect Support: Your face will be mapped to the back of Agent 47’s bald head so you can see your visceral reactions during Absolution’s amazing action sequences. (screenshot)
Wat.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Only one week left to finish Blood Money, so I can start Absolution on day 1. I'm not sure I'll make it on time, maybe I should go all Rambo.

What's up with that PC Gamer review?

Poorly optimized for PC? I would think not right? Blood Money runs great on PC.

Steam has it for $44.99 on pre-order, thinking off pulling the trigger today on this.

Great OT, thank you. Im getting excited, for sure...

After watching some of the videos I think I'll enjoy this as a game; as a new, ideal Hitman game I'm still reserving that opinion until I experience it.

jimi_dini

When's that coming out?

Was supposed to come out last month. Is currently listed as coming out mid next month.

For PC gamers, original Hitman+Hitman 2+Blood Money are available on steam right now for 20EUR total.

edit: And I just saw that all FOUR games are available on amazon.co.uk for PC currently on DVD for 6pounds total. Which means that's the way to go, especially because it includes Contracts unlike the steam collection.

Derrick01

Banned
Looking forward to my 1st Hitman game.

You owe it to yourself to play Blood Money first and experience Hitman perfected before playing this. Playing this first would be like playing Invisible War before Deus Ex. It's...too horrifying to imagine someone doing that.

Finally the OT is here. Good job!
I have it preordered but am still a little suspicious how it turns out in the end. I've accepted the fact that there are more smaller segments and less big areas than before, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's less fun. I'm expecting a game that still has the classic Hitman feel that has made the franchise into my favorite gaming series. And a great challenge, which is why I'm going with purist mode right from the start. Anybody else doing this?

Hindle

Banned
I can't stress that you play the HD collection before you play this. If you've never played the series that is.

Was supposed to come out last month. Is currently listed as coming out mid next month.

For PC gamers, Hitman 2+Contracts+Blood Money are available on steam right now for 20EUR total.

edit: And I just saw that all FOUR games are available on amazon.co.uk for PC currently on DVD for 6pounds total.

I don't think you mean Contracts, unless my Steam is a filthy liar.

cameron

I really want this to not suck.

The E3 Chinatown demo had me sold, but some of the recent info in the review thread doesn't sound very appealing. Pre-ordered a while ago, so I'm there day one.

Interfectum

Hmm I am intrigued. It definitely looks like one of those older PC games that you can tell just by looking at it it's going to control awful and be janky as hell. A lower price tag could get me to jump in though as I can only replay Blood Money so many times.

The second one is really good. It's pretty hard too. It's probably a little more janky than something like Blood Money but still fully playable. Regardless, it's one of the only series that even comes close to the Hitman formula. Sucks that no one else really cares to push what Blood Money did so well.

Contracts is available on Gamefly's Unlimited PC play thing, if you're a subscriber.

Anyway, looking forward to actually playing this next week, and not bitching and moaning about it on GAF until it's on sale. lol

Andrew.

Banned
Alright! Trial and error! No current gen/last gen stealth game can leave home without it!

Can't wait!

For that price drop!

dreamfall

Steam Pre-ordered! So excited! Some really great discussion in the "first reviews" topic. I do hope for more expansive open levels, not all directed small spaces. I think Hitman really has always captured some very small details that lead to spectacular immersion and wonderful "accidental"/gruesome killing. Blood Money remains one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd like to see some great missions like "A New Life" or even "Flatline."

Count me in- reviews be damned! The Sniper challenge really has some hilarious secrets!

Mœbius

Getting this courtesy of a friend; hopefully it'll be decent. Replayed Blood Money earlier in the year and it's still a great experience with outstanding level design.

Also am I the only one whole clicked on this OT to see if Derrick had taken a huge dump on it and got into an argument with someone yet?

Jawmuncher

Think i'll pick this up on PC (Especially if there's a Steam Deal)
Since Eidos seems to be pushing out Top Notch PC ports.

Dabanton

The fact there are no other games around like this, and I love the Hitman game means I'll be getting this launch day.

Top Bottom