• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 demo on both XBLA/PSN in December very likely!

Dahbomb

This is probably old news to some but it needs to be posted as a thread to inform the general gaming public.

A couple days ago a site claimed a DMC4 demo ONLY for the XBLM is planned for a December release. Here is the article.

However, a confirmed Capcom representative on a Capcom forum had this to say on the matter (the matter being "Why the fuck is it not coming to the PSN?"):

Capcom Rep said:
"Wait a little while longer and the demo strategy will be clear.

I'll say this: The information printed above and in that article as written is incorrect.

The news you're looking for is not far off... a little more patience please."

This is clearly implying a near simultaneous release of DMC4 demo for both PSN/XBLA in December before the end of the year. The official DMC4 site will update on the 5th of December with news of this so keep that site on check for next week.

Here is a picture of the Mission that will be in the Demo:

ruliweb_dmc4_ps3_02.jpg

(It's from the PS3 version by the way)

ruliweb_dmc4_ps3_03.jpg

Some notes about the demo:

*90% chance the demo will be the exact same as the demo we have seen since January. A quick walkthrough of Fortuna with Tutorial for a span of 10 minutes. After you beat that area you get to go straight to the icy level and fight a group of Frosts. The final mission in the demo will be the fight with Berial. This type of pacing/level design is not at all a representative of the final game as the demo seems to be snippets of 3 missions worked into one package as a bare bones demonstration of Nero's capabilities.

*These mini-missions are selectable from the start and you can choose whatever you want. Observe the first image to better understand what I mean to say.

*Do not expect Dante playable and do not expect the new jungle areas with Blades and Echidna or the new Lucifer/Gilgamesh weapon. I am not saying for a fact that they will not be in the demo, I am just saying that chances are likely they will not be.

*No story driven cutscenes will be shown in the demo aside from maybe the first cutscene of the game. Capcom is keeping the story underwraps very heavily. You will have cutscenes but they will mostly precede enemy encounters and do not at all reflect the main storyline of the game.

*Nero will not have any abilities outside of Snatch, Buster, Exceed, his gun and sword combos.

Be sure you know what is expected so you guys don't come in with the bitch fest of what is or what isn't in the demo. I am just stating this for the record in advance. Now peace out and discuss about the upcoming demo! :D

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Was the first DMC demo, this limited? I can't remember, and my ps2 is busted, so, I can't go take it out of the CVX case and try it out. :/

Kyoufu

I'm considering hibernating until this game is released. Disgaea 3 is also out on the same day so im going to be in heaven. Demo or no demo, this shall be mine!

Dahbomb

Oldschoolgamer said:
Was the first DMC demo, this limited? I can't remember, and my ps2 is busted, so, I can't go take it out of the CVX case and try it out. :/
In terms of length and content it's about the same as both the DMC1 and DMC3 demos. I think the DMC1 demo was the longest of the 3 but combat wise DMC3 was the most indepth (offering 3 styles). Combat wise DMC4 demo is limited compared to DMC3 demo but features more variety in the levels and Nero is something new so he will need some experimenting around with. DMC1 demo also I believe had no boss fight (you didn't fight Phantom and the demo ended before you could fight Nelo Angelo).

Mindlog

Awesome :D

Please, PS3 and 360 owners, come together and share in the awesomeness.

but...

I put the over/under at 2 posts that the 'discussion' of the minor differences starts and begins to take center stage :\

Here's hoping it's great.

Dahbomb

Green Shinobi said:
Well if the game is coming Q1 2008, there's no reason why a demo couldn't be ready by December. How far are they into development?
February 5th is confirmed date for US and Capcom rarely misses it's mark once it has set a solid date. The development is practically done, just ironing out some bugs and last minute issues. Game has been over 95% done since before September, it has been optimizing state ever since.

Dahbomb said:
In terms of length and content it's about the same as both the DMC1 and DMC3 demos. I think the DMC1 demo was the longest of the 3 but combat wise DMC3 was the most indepth (offering 3 styles). Combat wise DMC4 demo is limited compared to DMC3 demo but features more variety in the levels and Nero is something new so he will need some experimenting around with. DMC1 demo also I believe had no boss fight (you didn't fight Phantom and the demo ended before you could fight Nelo Angelo).
SHADOWS MOTHERFUCKER.

Not exactly a boss but close enough, plus everything about it was so fucking new and mind blowing playing the DMC 1 demo is one of my favorite moments in gaming. Only to be surpassed by the full game.

Dahbomb

MickeyKnox said:
SHADOWS MOTHERFUCKER.

Not exactly a boss but close enough, plus everything about it was so fucking new and mind blowing playing the DMC 1 demo is one of my favorite moments in gaming. Only to be surpassed by the full game.
Yes I know the Shadow encounter was in the demo but it's a sub boss level. There are going to be Shadows in DMC4 as well. ;)

DMC4 has Berial as it's finale and it's damn impressive boss fight. I just wished there was more combat variety and more enemies to fight with higher difficulty level. The demo seems so easy...

Xirj said:
I am not looking forward as much for the demo as I am for the PS3 vs. 360 video comparisons :lol.
I already know how they compare:

360 version brighter with better contrast, PS3 version slightly more details and shadow work is better. Aliasing is prevalent on both versions. Generally speaking, 99.9% the exact same game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
DMC1 demo was essentially the first mission of the game in its entirety...but the final release had some tweaks. In fact, the original DMC1 demo featured a few different assets from an older build, such as Dante wearing a different trenchcoat than what was settled on in the retail release. The enemy arrangement was also altered, but the design of the mission was mostly identical.

Jonnyram

Kyoufu said:
I'm considering hibernating until this game is released. Disgaea 3 is also out on the same day so im going to be in heaven. Demo or no demo, this shall be mine!
Careful now. You might miss classics... Like... Pixeljunk Monsters.

clav

I thought the demo was already out in Japan?

When I was at Big Camera back in Kyoto, the PS3 kiosk already had it.

Dahbomb

Brandon F said:
DMC1 demo was essentially the first mission of the game in its entirety...but the final release had some tweaks. In fact, the original DMC1 demo featured a few different assets from an older build, such as Dante wearing a different trenchcoat than what was settled on in the retail release. The enemy arrangement was also altered, but the design of the mission was mostly identical.
DMC1 demo was mostly mission#2 and mission#3-4 mashed into one. The parts from Mission#1 were very little compared to the full game.

DMC3 on the other hand was basically the first 3 missions minus the Hell Vanguard fight. This was deception as the missions were short but when you played Mission4 on the full game, it was like an hour long compared to the 15 minute 3 missions before it.

Kyoufu

HaloFans said:
I thought the demo was already out in Japan?

When I was at Big Camera back in Kyoto, the PS3 kiosk already had it.

An old demo build yes. I hear it was pretty lifeless.

The demo -is not- timed.

The only reason the public demo's of DMC4 has a ten minute time was because the lines were so overwhelming at trade shows, (at it's first showing in TGS 2006, with no timer) that for subsequent events they implemented a timer to keep the lines moving. A 5 hour wait for the DMC4 TGS demo was too much.

Because a downloaded demo as no such problems, there is no need to implement a timer.

Which is an important because "exploring combat in Devil May Cry" is like "exploring a city in Grand Theft Auto."

To catch on the delays, the just-frames, the moves, the sequences, and put them all together in your own style requires more than 10 minutes. Much more. It took me about 100 hours of DMC3 to figure everything out. And I still haven't uncovered everything.

Green Shinobi said:
Well if the game is coming Q1 2008, there's no reason why a demo couldn't be ready by December. How far are they into development?

Capcom USA just recently stated (at their forums) that core development has just finished a week ago, and the game is being submitted for testing, optimization, glitches, and approval.

Dahbomb

C- Warrior said:
The demo -is not- timed.
I know the full game isn't timed but the demo might actually be. And it's only one portion of the demo that is timed, the Frost area isn't timed. Although I have to agree, a timer in a demo doesn't make any sense.

And for the guy who asked for the release date, Janurary 31st for Japan and February 5th for US. Europe is around a week after that I believe. The US and Japan dates are set in STONE, it will easily make it.

I will add some pictures to the OP in a second, my PC was messing up before.

Grayman

Whats the over under on Christmas coming early or at Christmas?

Did the old demos have unlockable difficulties?

Dahbomb

Grayman said:
Whats the over under on Christmas coming early or at Christmas?

Did the old demos have unlockable difficulties?
Most likely coming before Christmas. I think the version that Ruliweb got is actually the demo so it's already ready to go. We will know the exact date next week.

The older demos only had one difficulty setting, the standard one. Compared to the full game the demo difficulties were slightly easier than the Normal difficulties. DMC4 demo should also be easier than it's original Normal difficulty.

Grayman

Dahbomb said:
Most likely coming before Christmas. I think the version that Ruliweb got is actually the demo so it's already ready to go. We will know the exact date next week.

The older demos only had one difficulty setting, the standard one. Compared to the full game the demo difficulties were slightly easier than the Normal difficulties. DMC4 demo should also be easier than it's original Normal difficulty.
I read that it was going to be easier in one of the other threads but not if it would be able to be set higher or not.

If the demo did come out right after the website update that would be cool. I am finishing up most of my courses around then.

Dahbomb

Grayman said:
I read that it was going to be easier in one of the other threads but not if it would be able to be set higher or not.
Well it IS easy and I don't think you can change the setting/difficulty.

StephaneC

A couple days ago a site claimed a DMC4 demo ONLY for the XBLM is planned for a December release. Here is the article.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not ONLY for the XBLM, but for the XBLM

Dahbomb

Nemesis556 said:
Has DMC4 even gone gold yet?
Do people still doubt this game will reach it's release date? :lol

Like C-Warrior said the team is done with the game and is only in the testing/optimizing phase. People need not worry about DMC4 slipping any release dates, Feb 5th confirmed.

Nemesis_

Dahbomb said:
Do people still doubt this game will reach it's release date? :lol

Like C-Warrior said the team is done with the game and is only in the testing/optimizing phase. People need not worry about DMC4 slipping any release dates, Feb 5th confirmed.
No I was just wondering whether or not they have time to make a demo.

Linkzg said:
I hope it supports DS3.
Of course it will. Developers have had access to rumble since September although some (only some) who had to release their games this year didn't have time to implement it.

Proof that both RE5 and DMC4 (and most likely Lost Planet as well, as the PS3 port was unannounced at the time of the DS3 announcement) will support rumble:

img_2290.jpg

Find it on the top left under CAPCOM.

duckroll

Nemesis556 said:
No I was just wondering whether or not they have time to make a demo.

As most people have said, the demo is already made. Ruliweb has been posting direct feed 60fps HD videos of the demo from BOTH PS3 and Xbox360 (you can see from the tutorial controller pop ups) the last few days.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I know it's unlikely, overlooked and I'm probably the only one, but I really wanted a PC version demo. :-|

ChrisD84

I'll try it but i doubt my RSI-ridden hands could stand all the button pressing in the game (lots of comboing etc) :lol

Top Bottom