• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait, What? Mario Strikers Charged Review

Kawaii

Dutch Magazine [N]gamer
Rough Translation:

They tested the full game but the online wasn't ready yet.

"Graphics:
The term gamecube+ suffices. The game looks as good as the Gamecube version, some extra graphic effects.
Sound:
Monotonous, predictable, boring. We heared three different songs in the entire game, mediocre quality. Where are the Mario tunes?
Gameplay:
Wiiremote and nunchuck controls are OK, but so much more was possible? Waggling to do a sliding? Come on!
Long term:
Single player is short, with just a few cups and a few challenges, the lone gamer isn't in for a treat.
Conclusion
Strikers charged doesn't add anything to the previous part, nearly doesn't use the capabilities of the Wii and doestn't feel like a quality title. Will the online mode rescue it?

In comparison, they gave the gamecube game a 8.0

More to come...

Stopping the mega strikes with the wiiremote pointer feels gimmicky.
Animations before the megastrikes are to long and non-skippable
Abilities of side kicks are useless because of the importance of making megastrikes

Blablurn

indifferent2cj8.gif

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AniHawk said:
These guys just have it out for Nintendo. I for one will boycott this magazine from here on out.
Yeah!!! :lol

Not surprised though, look how quick the game came out.

[Nintex]

Ngamer :lol

They reviewed MarioKart DS prior to the release just so it would make their magazine in time. Their rumor section is a translated Neogaf, hell even the jokes are from Gaf! The magazine sucks really,(Nintendogs got a 10, Smash bros scored a 8). It should be burned pissed on and then burned again!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Sorry, but where the hell did they obtain review code? I mean they even admit the online wasn't active yet, I vote illicit methods, is the Dutch version of NGamer published by Future or linked in any way to the UK one? if so I'm not buying that mag again, (I only bought it a few times), stop reviewing games that aren't even finished yet, idiots.

[Nintex]

Stop It said:
Sorry, but where the hell did they obtain review code? I mean they even admit the online wasn't active yet, I vote illicit methods, is the Dutch version of NGamer published by Future or linked in any way to the UK one? if so I'm not buying that mag again, (I only bought it a few times), stop reviewing games that aren't even finished yet, idiots.
No they have nothing to do with UK Ngamer... but in my book they are just as bad.

[Nintex] said:

They reviewed MarioKart DS prior to the release just so it would make their magazine in time. Their rumor section is a translated Neogaf, hell even the jokes are from Gaf! The magazine sucks really,(Nintendogs got a 10, Smash bros scored a 8). It should be burned pissed on and then burned again!

Edit: I did not write this post.

[Nintex] said:

Ehrm... I disagree. They're pretty honest. Their rumor section? They only post news and I've never seen a Gaf joke in the magazine. And how on earth does making a review before it comes out in the shops a bad thing? Are you sure you aren't confused with the British N-Gamer magazine?

Lol
My fellow n-haters already take this ridiculous score as a proof of the crappyness of the game. Idiots.

The game will be great fun, even if it was only its precedssor with online. But it has more options, more arenas and online. If this is a 6.5, then 6.5 is the ne 9.0.
Also, from the videos i saw the game looks a lot better than the first game. Moreso compared to other Wii-games, where Mario Strikers is easily the best looking one together with Excite Truck.

maxmars

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
mario footballs gonna be shit don't let the fact its a nintendow game make you stick up for a lost cause

The original was quite a nice game and Next Level Games basically just improved on it; if they don't screw up with the controls I don't see how the game can suck.

The biggest problem with the game is that its so bare bones, according to the review. its pretty much the same as the first version. Of course they didnt make a secret out of it that they didnt test the online mode so if thats good you can probably add a point to that score, but I get the feeling that they're pretty spot on with it.

And nowhere did it state the game sucked. I have this review in front of me, believe.

So, we can say that this is the last Mario Football game developed by Next Level Games. In these cases, I agree with Iwata: if that studio was a Second Party, it would be a problem.

Fredescu

Kawaii said:
Abilities of side kicks are useless because of the importance of making megastrikes
Damn, my main complaint about the Gamecube game. Would like to know the method to make a megastrike though before writing it off completely.

[Nintex]

Moz La Punk said:
Ehrm... I disagree. They're pretty honest. Their rumor section? They only post news and I've never seen a Gaf joke in the magazine. And how on earth does making a review before it comes out in the shops a bad thing? Are you sure you aren't confused with the British N-Gamer magazine?
No I'm not I used to buy their magazines untill a certain farmboy showed up on GAF, saying something like:
Hey I'm dutch and I work for a N only magazine!

Then I checked out their rumor section and every rumor/troll/joke stated on GAF was in their magazine. I'm not sure if its still as bad... but it sucked pretty hard back then. Especially the reviews, reading a "review" equals a university class... using words that don't even make sense. Huge spoilers in some reviews etc.

they didnt make a secret out of it that they didnt test the online mode
They probably played the same preview build as Jeux France. Otherwise the review wouldn't have made it in time.

Haha what? I never read a review that had difficult words or whatever you're claiming. And again, no GAF rumours/jokes either. But seriously, give me some examples so that at least you can try to make a case from this.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
maxmars said:
The original was quite a nice game and Next Level Games basically just improved on it; if they don't screw up with the controls I don't see how the game can suck.

Because of all the sports, football is the one that translates the worst to videogames. I didn't feel that the first was great but it did offer quite a bit of fun in short bursts.

Heres how it works:

Better than real life:
Golf
Hockey
Boxing
Being a Ninja

Decent but not better than real life:
American Football
Basketball
Baseball
Tennis

Bad, but probably because the design sucks and it could translate if given good treatment:
Football (union)

Do not want:
Football (real)

Bossman

It was a singleplayer review, we already knew the singleplayer wasn't going to be anything special. I'm buying it for multiplayer.

maxmars

QVT said:
Because of all the sports, football is the one that translates the worst to videogames.

Hmm keep in mind this is not football, but roughly corresponding to the indoor 5 people variant. Quite a bit faster and without interruption of play (e.g. ball never exits the field), plus this is almost speedball-like in its implementation (no fouls, items etc).

It won't be a sim or a conventional sports game, I will agree on that.

DefectiveReject said:
As someone just up from me states if their review copy didn't have online ready it wasn't the final build as i know one mag that did.

Its worth wondering how much change there is in the final version, APART from the online mode. Anyone know this? If there is much change in that version, I'm sure they'll mention it in a future issue.

Taker666

Fischbrot said:
German N-Zone mag Singleplayer 79% and Multiplayer 86%

I wish more mags/websites reviewed both the single player and multiplayer seperately. It gives a much clearer picture of the title you're buying.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
maxmars said:
Hmm keep in mind this is not football, but roughly corresponding to the indoor 5 people variant. Quite a bit faster and without interruption of play (e.g. ball never exits the field), plus this is almost speedball-like in its implementation (no fouls, items etc).

It won't be a sim or a conventional sports game, I will agree on that.

Yeah, thats exactly why the earlier version worked, and why fifa street is a better pure video game than Fifa or PES/WE. They are more speedball than football which is the greatest sport ever for reasons much other than video game fun.

Moz La Punk said:
Other scores from that issue that were spot-on imo:

SSX Blur: 8
Elebits (Eledees): 7.5
Godfather: 8
Heatseeker: 6

Yea I can't disagree with those scores, though I would give Godfather and SSX Blur both 8.5. Damn fun games.

[Nintex]

Moz La Punk said:
Its worth wondering how much change there is in the final version, APART from the online mode. Anyone know this? If there is much change in that version, I'm sure they'll mention it in a future issue.
Most of the time the bugs are fixed and alle the modes/options stuff is available, its even possible that the preview build didn't have all the music in place. It seems to me that they ****ed up just like the MarioKart DS review.

[Nintex] said:
Most of the time the bugs are fixed and alle the modes/options stuff is available, its even possible that the preview build didn't have all the music in place. It seems to me that they ****ed up just like the MarioKart DS review.

But that's the thing: they don't mention bugs or anything. They claim the game is just too bare bones, not enough gameplay options. It seems to me that, if I look at the original game, it's spot on. Of course I cant judge yet, but if this game is a lot like the first one, and the review claims so so I have no reason to believe otherwise, the score is indeed justified.

Can I also know how they ****ed up the Mario Kart DS review, btw? Was the review wrong in your opinion and why?

Kafel said:
A review of a copy without online modes is pointless.

In some ways, yes, but keep in mind this has to happen in the Netherlands a lot. Its not the only magazine here to do this because its simply not possible to do otherwise, unless you want a game that comes out in May to feature in your August magazine. I do know N-Gamer takes a look at online stuff in a seperate segment in the magazine as well. As long as a review clearly states that the online mode hasnt been checked out, whats wrong? Scores arent even important imo, its the text that counts and which will make you realise if a game is for you or not.

Blue Geezer said:
hmm considering i never played the first should i enjoy this then?

I do think you will, as long as you love Mario and the particular sport. I mean, if you never experienced the first one this is a completely new game, WITH online.

[Nintex]

Moz La Punk said:
But that's the thing: they don't mention bugs or anything. They claim the game is just too bare bones, not enough gameplay options. It seems to me that, if I look at the original game, it's spot on. Of course I cant judge yet, but if this game is a lot like the first one, and the review claims so so I have no reason to believe otherwise, the score is indeed justified.

Can I also know how they ****ed up the Mario Kart DS review, btw? Was the review wrong in your opinion and why?

In some ways, yes, but keep in mind this has to happen in the Netherlands a lot. Its not the only magazine here to do this because its simply not possible to do otherwise, unless you want a game that comes out in May to feature in your August magazine. I do know N-Gamer takes a look at online stuff in a seperate segment in the magazine as well. As long as a review clearly states that the online mode hasnt been checked out, whats wrong? Scores arent even important imo, its the text that counts and which will make you realise if a game is for you or not.
Just like this review with the MarioKart DS reveiw they didn't test the online and stated it. They reviewed the game 5 weeks before it was released.
Then they should preview the game, instead of writing a review based on the preview build.

as a chelsea fan i naturally love football (hush!) so yeah i will enjoy this then since the criticisms seem to be that its too close to the original...

maxmars

Blue Geezer said:
hmm considering i never played the first should i enjoy this then?

If you enjoyed titles like Speedball or any other team-based, quick-paced game featuring a ball to be put into a goalpost you will like it.

Roelatie

Blue Geezer said:
as a chelsea fan i naturally love football (hush!) so yeah i will enjoy this then since the criticisms seem to be that its too close to the original...
I loved the first game in Multiplayer. Just disable the mega strikes and its on!

ITS ON!

maxmars

Roelatie said:
I loved the first game in Multiplayer. Just disable the mega strikes and its on!

ITS ON!

Why disabling mega strikers? Just get on their toes while they build up. :lol

[Nintex] said:
Just like this review with the MarioKart DS reveiw they didn't test the online and stated it. They reviewed the game 5 weeks before it was released.

Then they should preview the game, instead of writing a review based on the preview build.

I'm still not convinced of that :p I read about eight videogame magazines a month and the lion share does not wait for the online modes. It posts a piece of information on it with the review or you see impressions in another issue.

Especially for a magazine like N-Gamer, which comes out once in TWO months, it would be terrible to delay a review of a game thats about to come out for just the online mode.

Oh well, different opinions :)

Thomper

I don't really see the problem with the 'early' review. Let's say the deadline for this issue was two weeks ago - it's still a sports game, so a week of thorough play should be more than enough for a full review, so at most, the review was made about six weeks before the release. If [N]Gamer had an incomplete build, there couldn't be a lot missing, could it? I mean, you'd need a week to distribute it to retailers, a week for all the discs and packaging to be pressed, to at most, it'd be four weeks from the final version. Add in QA, and besides perhaps the tiniest of bugs that probably wouldn't influence the gameplay (or Next Level games would have a lot of crunching to do) the version [N]Gamer played shouldn't really differ from the final version.

I myself can see where the 6,5 is coming from: though I really enjoyed the GameCube-game, it wasn't really a huge game. You mainly played it for the multiplayer, that's it. So if this sequel is the same as the original with online added in and some extra characters/playing fields, then Next Level has just been really lazy and that 6,5 is deserved.

Top Bottom