• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else enjoy the rpg mode in handheld mario sports?

Was talking with people about mario tennis today and was surprised that most prefer the console versions over the handhelds.

I loved mp for n64 and gcn (power shots off naturally) but those games gathered dust if no1 else is around.

But man, those portable story modes were hella addicting and were the only golf games I've ever gave a shit about. I'm a sucker for rookie rising up the ranks story in media, and grinding up gear and stats was fun. And you could even import your gbc guy into n64 game. Crazyness!

Anyone else love the rpg bits of mario golf/tennis portables or am I just crazy?

I didn't even know the portable ones had rpg modes.

I generally prefer the console ones for some of the best couch multiplayer around.

I looove the RPG modes in Mario Golf/Tennis, both the GB and the GBA ones. It really added a lot of variety to the single player experience. It was at least better than having just plain random matches.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Hell. Yes. The rpg mode in the gbc version of mario tennis was amazing. Its a shame the gba version wasn't as fun, but it was still pretty cool.

I quite enjoyed the rpg mode in Mario Golf GBA. Importing my leveled character into Mario Golf GC was cool but it was kind of ridiculous how overpowered he was.

hatchx

Banned
I liked the RPG aspects of Mario Golf GBC too.

But if they include it in the new one, all I ask is they don't allow it for online play or allow a filter.

And power shots weren't even that bad on gba, because the animations were quicker!

prince of tennis gba/ds games were better 'super shot' tennis games imo, but gbc was great with balance imo.

Anyone else always go with the high speed low traction shoes? Love sliding around ;P

Man, I want the gbc games to be on VC now!

olimpia84

I had the one game for the GBC and played the rpg mode for about an hour combined. Personally, I hated it but I guess it won't hurt if they add it in this new 3DS version for those that enjoy it.

Mario Sluggers for Wii also had a story mode that I played and completed but again, I would have much preferred a regular "season" mode that goes straight to the point and allows you to dive right away into the sport and competition.

Camelot IS making it but there's no RPG mode as far as I can tell.

The character models would probably look hideous in 3d like your guy in mario tennis 64 ;P

The only real confirmation is that there will be local and online mp.

Have they explained the new 'item circles' yet?

Wizpig

Yeah, Camelot is making Tennis 3DS (you can tell by the music) but LOL removed features

I'm sure it will be fun and hopefully lag-free online will be the shit, but it's not an excuse: why they go back instead of doing a full-fledged Tennis RPG... i don't understand.

I thought the same thing about Mario Kart 7: they removed missions instead of improving them... but Mario Kart is a game i usually buy for multiplayer, it's not that big of a problem, at least for me.

But... Mario Tennis on a handheld? RPG mode, both on GBC and GBA.

Apparently we are getting the home console version of Mario Tennis... on 3DS.
And since i always criticized home console like games on PSP i can't really accept easily the same thing on 3DS...

Yeah I liked it. Really dissapointed the 3DS one doesn't have it.

However, the actual tennis gameplay had more depth on the consoles versions. In GBC (maybe GBA too, don't remember) for example, you could just go to the net and win every time. Though, the power shots on the GBA version were actually a worthwhile addition; they were pretty pointless in GC.

Hell yeah. That's why I'm disappointed the new 3DS Mario Tennis is styled after the console versions. The RPG mode was a lot of fun and gives real motivation to win. I love watching those guys trash talk me, only to get their ass whooped and I can rub it in their face.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does Hot Shots Tennis for psp have a mode that resembles the old Mario Tennis rpg at all? It definitely looks like a good successor.

Jay Sosa

I enjoy RPG elements in any game (if done right)..so yeah.

Unfortunately I simply hate stuff like "Miracle Shots" and all that stupid bs so as soon as I had to use them in Mario Tennis I quit. Plus playing on the Micro is a pain in the a**. Can't see s**t.

I'll go against the grain, I don't. Granted I've only played Mario Golf on GBA, but at the time (dont play portables much now). I always wanted to just jumo into a round of golf, not 5 minutes of text, going to the club house then the course ect ect.It just didn't suite my style of play for a portable game.

Mario Golf Advance was amazing, I still remember how epic it was when you got to go to the mushroom kingdom to play on those courses at the end.

zroid

Banned
The GBC Mario Tennis is one of my favourite games on the system. Quite possibly my favourite sports game ever. It was especially awesome to hook it up to the N64 Mario Tennis with the Transfer Pak and play with my RPG characters rendered on the 64. Soooo satisfying.

Jay Sosa

I'll go against the grain, I don't. Granted I've only played Mario Golf on GBA, but at the time (dont play portables much now). I always wanted to just jumo into a round of golf, not 5 minutes of text, going to the club house then the course ect ect.It just didn't suite my style of play for a portable game.

You can do that as well..I think?

At least In Mario Tennis..and especially awesome is that the EXP carry over.

Yeah, I played the hell out of GBC Mario Tennis (until I got to the Bowser/Wario team IIRC. One of the few times I've ever ragequit a game). Played N64 Mario Tennis even more though, thanks to 4P support. Even imported my leveled up tennis team from the GBC game into the N64 game with the Transfer Pak. PLEASE BRING BACK RING MODE!!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Loved the RPG mode in Mario Tennis GBC. The N64 version was fun too, but nowhere near as much as the portable one.

Koren

I like them a lot but I find labelling those "RPG" a bit farfetched based on the fact that you can visit a couple of places and get some level-ups.

I'm a bit angry against Mario Tennis GBA, though... I've probably done something wrong, but I'm locked in the story, I've done (countless time) the requirements to advance and it's stuck :( Damn I hate those bugs.

Jay Sosa

Does Hot Shots Tennis for psp have a mode that resembles the old Mario Tennis rpg at all? It definitely looks like a good successor.

Yes it has. And it's absolutely addicting. It also is the superior tennis game, one of the best simulations of the sport I've ever played.

I've probably done something wrong, but I'm locked in the story, I've done (countless time) the requirements to advance and it's stuck :( Damn I hate those bugs.

It's a Nintendo game. I really doubt it's a bug.

ataboada

Was talking with people about mario tennis today and was surprised that most prefer the console versions over the handhelds.

I loved mp for n64 and gcn (power shots off naturally) but those games gathered dust if no1 else is around.

But man, those portable story modes were hella addicting and were the only golf games I've ever gave a shit about. I'm a sucker for rookie rising up the ranks story in media, and grinding up gear and stats was fun. And you could even import your gbc guy into n64 game. Crazyness!

Anyone else love the rpg bits of mario golf/tennis portables or am I just crazy?

Loved those games. Same thoughts here.

It does and the game is incredibly addictive and fun. I love Hot Shots Tennis on PSP. Speaking purely in terms of the RPG modes I still prefer Mario Golf on GBA, though. You know, Camelot and everything.

TreIII

It's a pity the 3DS version doesn't have one, it looks like. That unfortunately lowers my want for the game to "want!" from the "rabid, frothing demand!" that a RPG-mode inclusion would have warranted.

Datschge

The light RPG framework of Camelot handheld sports games are ingenious, I actually wish more sports games would offer such modes.

Top Bottom