• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

Kusagari

I think ultimately the result shows that Spidey, through a combination of so many other super hero movies breaking out and so many franchise disappointments, just isn't that special any more in the grand scheme of things.

Sad Spidey's box office power is now so low.

The Raimi films were mega ticket sellers....

Spider-Man 1 beat Star Wars Episode 2 by quite a bit back in 2002.

This time Star Wars Episode VIII will decimate spidey though...

Box office is so interesting!

How is that really putting someone "on blast?"

Because he's just flat out stating it instead of trying to couch it in careful terms as almost everyone else involved with the picture has done.

"On blast" just means it's out there as plainly as possible. It's not inherently negative, although usually being put on blast means a thing you probably didn't want everyone to know without a doubt is now a thing everyone knows.

(granted, people have heavily assumed it for like 30 years now, but most people don't just go "Oh yeah, it was Spielberg, Tobe was just along for the ride")

I expected Baby Driver to bomb so goddamn hard but reality likes to prove me wrong.
It's all thanks to me, Edgar Wright. It's all thanks to me.

Marvel is doomed. Time to cancel Infinity War.
Give Spider-Man back to Fox!

But seriously, looking at the numbers in my home market, the Raimi films were one hell of a phenomenon.

J_Viper

I think ultimately the result shows that Spidey, through a combination of so many other super hero movies breaking out and so many franchise disappointments, just isn't that special any more in the grand scheme of things.

The Superman Syndrome?

A great spiderman and it's not raking in the cash. Crazy times we live in

I'm not that surprised. Sony did a lot of damage to Spiderman with the ASM series. That second movie is Batman and Robin level bad. Even though it's Marvel at the reins, it's still a Spiderman movie released close to those abominations. Homecoming is great, so it will help re-establish general audience good will toward Spidey movies. It's just going to take its theatrical run plus its various home video releases to really put in the work. It should pay off with the next Marvel Spiderman film.

kswiston

Strong summer weekdays helping with that weekend drop.

Where do you see it ending up?

Around $300M. Probably over.

I'd say $310M seems about right for now. If I had to give a floor and ceiling, I'd go with $290-325M. $290M would require a third weekend drop in the high 50s.

I always took "on blast" as publicly calling someone out negatively.

I guess the negativity more or less comes from someone who was trying to keep something quiet having that thing put through a megaphone.

Which is what the director of Mortal Kombat Annihilation did on that podcast.

I'd say $310M seems about right for now. If I had to give a floor and ceiling, I'd go with $290-325M. $290M would require a third weekend drop in the high 50s.

SO THERE'S STILL A CHANCE...

Yeah but that's like saying 3DS was ahead of the DS in the same time frame. It just opened bigger.

To be clear I'm not insinuating Spidey is going to perform better than WW (it won't, not even close)

Just giving a 10 day gross number compared to other Hero flicks for those that were interested.

Penguin

Perhaps Spider-man just has a ceiling.

Surprised at how high a drop though since has both critical and fan acclaim. But is it just a movie you see once in theaters

I think there are multiple reasons why Spiderman isn't doing as hot but let's remember this was Spideys last solo outing performance...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=amazingspiderman2.htm

Barely over 200 million domestic and critically panned. While I agree Homecoming performance is disappointing we have to wait for the second movie to see the real impact when trying to rebuild a franchise.

Shit. Even ASM2 had a better second weekend hold. Of course, the weekdays were worse because of the month, but still.

ZeroGravity

Just want to add a huge "Fuck You" to Sony for damaging the Spider-Man brand so hard. Homecoming was fantastic and deserves better.

I don't see another superhero film holding as well as Wonder Woman until Black Panther.

I don't even think BP will leg the same as WW. That is probably gonna have a monster opening weekend. Its part of the MCU which is well received and the character already made a big splash in Civil War.

WW was an uncertainty with DC's track record and word had to get out in regards to the quality of the film. I don't think we see something similar with BP

Guzim

tC6u1fx.jpg

Loudninja

Just want to add a huge "Fuck You" to Sony for damaging the Spider-Man brand so hard. Homecoming was fantastic and deserves better.
How is it damage?
The article is a bit sensational.

Spider-Man Homecoming is currently at $208M domestic. Amazing Spider-Man 2 only made $203M total. Amazing Spider-Man 1 made $262M

Homecoming will be around $250M by the end of next weekend, and will pass Amazing Spider-Man 1 shortly after that (potentially before its fourth weekend).

kswiston

If Baby Driver gets another sub-40% drop next weekend, I will go ahead and call that $100M+ finish.

$90M is locked.

kunonabi

My prediction that Black Panther was going to beat Spidey at the box-office not looking so outlandish anymore, huh

Ive been on that train since the casting started coming through. Black panther will probably be the first mcu film i see multiple times in the theatre since the first gotg.

Alrus

Rough drop for Spiderman, wonder why word of mouth isn't really taking with this one. I guess the ASM series really fucked things up.

Black Panther will do 700+. Don't know about topping Spidey or WW though. In the US, I'd say it's possible.

You guys still think a Chris Hemsworth flick is gonna do better than Spider-Man?

How about a Jeff Goldblum flick guest-starring the Incredible Hulk? And Hemsworth is also there.

The lack of at Dennings and Mew Mew probably means negative dollars though.

Wait! So you think Wonder Woman will outperform the first goddamn MCU Spider-Man film?! That's huge!!!!

Chances of WW surpassing $800 million worldwide though?

Perhaps Spider-man just has a ceiling.

Surprised at how high a drop though since has both critical and fan acclaim. But is it just a movie you see once in theaters

Honestly I could see a Raimi Spiderman 4 of equal quality to Homecoming doing much better.

Really after this though I think Marvel needs to start taking potential RDJ/Iron Man fatigue precautions.
Was my favorite Marvel movie character for a while until IM3-Civil War absolutely burned me out.... to the point im tired of even seeing RDJ.

Rough drop for Spiderman, wonder why word of mouth isn't really taking with this one. I guess the ASM series really fucked things up.

He was in Civil War. Honestly, I don't think ASM movies had a big toll on the character. Could be wrong, obviously. Also, it has made more money domestic than ASM2.

Mrbob

I'm glad the Russo Brothers are back handling Spiderman for the next two movies. Spidey was still green but could do cool stuff in Civil War. He did air combos and used his Spidey senses. Somehow Peter devolved into a complete noob for Homecoming. Did Fiege da gawd even explain how Peter regressed in ability.

It's already surpassed ASM2's domestic total and is at $347m worldwide.

It's not "not doing as hot."
I just meant by the second weekend drop which is a bit rough.

kswiston

It's a guarantee that Wonder Woman is going to beat Spider-Man: Homecoming domestically.

Spider-Man might not get to within 75mil of Wonder Woman.

Realistically, we knew that Wonder Woman won last Friday. You didn't even have to wait for the official Friday estimate to come to that conclusion.

Wait what?

No Spider-man film has done as well as The Avengers or The Dark Knight or am I reading this reply wrong.

Spider-Man in 2002 was comparable to the Avengers in 2012.

yuraya

They should have done one more ASM movie. The first 2 weren't as bad as people made them out to be. Ending superhero movies on a duology just isn't right and probably left a bad inconclusive taste in peoples mouth. I mean even Thor got his own trilogy. Sony messed up.

I'm glad the Russo Brothers are back handling Spiderman for the next two movies. Spidey was still green but could do cool stuff in Civil War. He did air combos and used his Spidey senses. Somehow Peter devolved into a complete noob for Homecoming. Did Fiege da gawd even explain how Peter regressed in ability.

I just meant by the second weekend drop which is a bit rough.

Yeah the Russo's are by far the best director's Marvel has in terms of action. That was one thing I did notice, is Peter wasn't near as good at fighting in Homecoming than he was in Civil War. It didn't really bother me but it did stick out a bit.

They should have done one more ASM movie. The first 2 weren't as bad as people made them out to be. Ending superhero movies on a duology just isn't right and probably left a bad inconclusive taste in peoples mouth. I mean even Thor got his own trilogy. Sony messed up.

......this film has already outgrossed AMS2's TOTAL gross domestic. A 3rd ASM film would have been a disaster at the BO coming off 2

Top Bottom