• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

lunchtoast

Awesome pictures.

VRQ5ll.jpg

WnJt4l.jpg

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
simpsons, ninja turtles, south park, smurfs, obelix and asterix (only know them because of their video games), bert and ernie, donald huey dewey and louie but i dont know what the last one is

Log4Girlz

Guys, its a supernova remnant, a blast of light emanated from the remnant and successive layers of the former star's outer shell which were blasted away ages ago were illuminated one by one, giving off the illusion that it was exploding.

noah111

Still Alive
Guys, its a supernova remnant, a blast of light emanated from the remnant and successive layers of the former star's outer shell which were blasted away ages ago were illuminated one by one, giving off the illusion that it was exploding.
It actually isn't a super nova (or supernova remnant). One of the few super novas we have actually observed in history was that of the Crab Nebula (posted a gif of it) in the Taurus constellation.

1302N1Q1H0-35Z5.jpg

It's also known as 1054 which is the year it was seen by various cultures along with documented accounts of chinese and arab astronomers. What we see are just the remnants of that supernova.

Back in 1054AD when it was spotted, it was so bright that it outshone all the nearby stars, and was a huge source of illumination for a 'star'.

I don't believe we have actually witnessed a supernova 'live' within our time, 20th/21st century scale. I think the last one was in the 1800s, and that one they observed wasn't even in our galaxy!!

If a supernova occurs in our galaxy, we will probably be able to see it with our naked eye. It'll be fun times!

What exactly is happening there?
CHEEZMO™;36295928 said:
I want to say it's a supernova remnant.
I'm guessing it's a supernova. Those happen in the blink of an eye.
It isn't exactly 100% known what happened, because the star was previously unknown before 2002 when they saw this outburst occurring. It was originally thought to be a nova eruption (not supernova). Because of this, it was named Nova Monocerotis (that's the constellation it's in) but that has since changed, because they realized it was actually NOT a typical nova outburst.

I remember them saying it was believed to be one of the largest known stars before it erupted, but no one can know for sure. The fluctuation in its light though is what makes it odd, and unlike anything else.

Still sort of a mystery.

How is this one possible? Isnt that meant to take 100s of light years? Amazing though!
Not nesecarilly, especially when it's the explosion of a star. This was taken over the span of months, with the changes happening rapidly indicating a level of incredible acceleration, which you can see in the gas effect.

s0502aw.jpg

This is what it looks like now (more or less), which makes you really appreciate that we were able to glimpse such a site before it all expanded away into a 'regular' gassy nebula type view;

heic0617a.jpg

normal_V838-Monocerotis.jpg

[edit] Damn, hate being at the bottom of the page. :lol

Top Bottom