• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo worked on a Philips Ambilight-similar "illumination" system for the Wii/U?

Title: Image display system, illumination system, information processing device, and storage medium having control program stored therein

Filed: 8/9/2010 (original JP ver: 10/09/2009) Published: 11/2/2014

Abstract
An illumination system includes an information processing device capable of communicating with a server via a network and an illumination device capable of receiving a signal from the information processing device. The information processing device includes a reception portion and a lighting control portion. The reception portion receives instruction data from the server, and the instruction data indicates an instruction to cause the illumination device to emit light in accordance with a television broadcast image and/or audio. The lighting control portion outputs a control signal to the illumination device, and the control signal controls lighting by the illumination device based on the received instruction data. The illumination device sheds visible light in accordance with the control signal.

Patent drawings show a Wii system, but the "star" of the patent is clearly the "illumination device". If it ever materialized, it makes sense their next system would also support it. (seems like a simple device anyways)

As you'd expect, patent talks about various (and generic) potential uses for the illumination system - game-triggered, server-triggered (e.g notifications), etc

Wonder how this is connected to the Wii's disc-slot notification system.Could this be a canned idea in favor of that, or maybe a v2 of the system?

Anyways, here are some of the general(ized) claims from the patent. (categories made-up for easier reading - not from patent)

Connection to console
The “illumination device” is only required to be capable of communicating with the information processing device, and while in the embodiment to be described later, the “illumination device” is connected to the information processing device via wired connection, it may be a device wirelessly communicating with the display control device by radio, infrared, etc.

Positioning
The position and direction in which to install the illumination device are optional. In the present embodiment, however, the illumination device is assumed to illuminate a wall (a house wall or a curtain) behind the television with visible light, so that the user sees the light on the wall. Therefore, the illumination device is preferably installed so as to emit visible light rearward of the television. Also, in FIG. 1, the illumination device is installed on the marker device. In another embodiment, the illumination device may be installed directly on the television or may be installed behind the television on a stand having the television mounted thereon. Alternatively, the illumination device may have provided therewith a member capable of hanging the illumination device at the back of the television.

Integration with Sensor bar
Also, in the present embodiment, the marker device and the illumination device are provided as separate units, while in another embodiment, the marker device and the illumination device may be provided as an integral unit. Specifically, a single package may contain the infrared LED of the marker device and a light module of the illumination device. Note that in the case where it is assumed that as in the present embodiment, the illumination device sheds visible light on the wall behind the television, the marker device and the illumination device are preferably attached in the package such that the illumination device emits visible light in a direction opposite to infrared light emitted from the marker device. As a result, it becomes possible to emit infrared light forward from the television and visible light rearward from the television.

The device
nintendo_light1ens1d.png
nintendo_light2scsk2.png
[

Example effect
nintendo_light3sys0b.png

Disable illumination if old.

Somnid

I have a set of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DKZSVS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's actually pretty cool though these need separate power sources in addition to USB connection per light making a mess of wires. This sounds a little more sensible.

It's actually pretty nice if you're a "mood" gamer. The backlight takes the colors of the scene and projects them, this is both easier on the eyes in a dark room and creates a cool ambiance. It's like the DS4 LEDs but less stupid because you can see them. You can also get it to do things like flash when you get an email and they even have little demos of games that interact directly with them (I played a color matching thing). I'd love a cheap little version of this stuff for consoles.

Anyone else remember an interview where Miyamoto said he wanted games to escape the confines of a TV screen? Is this related to that? Because nothing ever came of that comment.

Wiipad doesn't count because the game's still 'boxed in'.

I have a set of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DKZSVS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's actually pretty cool though these need separate power sources in addition to USB connection per light making a mess of wires. This sounds a little more sensible.

It's actually pretty nice if you're a "mood" gamer. The backlight takes the colors of the scene and projects them, this is both easier on the eyes in a dark room and creates a cool ambiance. It's like the DS4 LEDs but less stupid because you can see them. You can also get it to do things like flash when you get an email and they even have little demos of games that interact directly with them (I played a color matching thing). I'd love a cheap little version of this stuff for consoles.

Wow, didn't know "Gaming Lights" was a thing. Interesting, thanks.

That sounds quite a bit like the IllumiRoom thing Microsoft was working on.

You are right man. Totally forgot about that one.

Anyone else remember an interview where Miyamoto said he wanted games to escape the confines of a TV screen? Is this related to that? Because nothing ever came of that comment.

Can't say I remember but who knows. Maybe this or maybe something more VR-ish.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You mean the Philips CD-i

Philips had nothing to do with the Gamecube. Which was an awesome console.

Didnt they develop the disk system for the gamecube? and theres a picture of that platinum GameCube that has everything but the kitchen sink on it from them aswell.

Taker666

Wiipad doesn't count because the game's still 'boxed in'.

I think he did also speculate about the console having its own screen...so the Wii Gamepad does match with that.

He was probably thinking about stuff like Wii Sports/Wii Fit...where half the experience is your physical actions in the real world.....so that is escaping the confines of the tv screen in a way.

Bad things happen when Nintendo and Phillips get into bed with the other...

Not sure if it came out the wrong way, but this is not a Nintendo/Philips venture.

It's a Nintendo patent.

One of the patents referenced is the PHILIPS patent but that's it.

Found it.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2005/nov/03/miyamotogames

I knew it was a long time ago when I read that.

Wish I had your memory bro :p Awesome, totally missed this.

Dougald

Ha, I saw what the Philips ambilight system could do for games

Let's just say there's a reason we didn't all run out and buy stupid coloured lights and fans for our PCs

MisterHero

Kinda off-topic but the Kickstarter concept looks terrific. Too bad I have big ol SD TVs. :p

The last time philips an nintendo got in bed with eachother the gamecube was made so...
That was Panasonic and they made the Q. It was good but expensive.

Top Bottom