• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

L95

The magic sword you can find early on is so strong lol. Definitely makes taking out cavalry and soldiers much faster with only one other mage. Surprised they give you it so early.

Its damage caps out at 15 (I think it can be forged a bit, but I recall it being pretty expensive), so it becomes less useful when enemies start having res

ryseing

Need some help.

Celica Act 2-
Leon keeps suiciding. I try to rush up with Celica but she isn't fast enough. Any suggestions?

Never mind, figured it out.

Reset

So do I promote as soon as possible or wait until level 10? People on other forums are saying you should wait until 10. :|

Feffe

Why the hell I can't use the gyros to look around in towns???

Otherwise, it's a fine game. I didn't really like the approach the series took with Awakening (thought I realize why it did) but this game was made with lots of love for the old fans.

I like this a lot. The changes (lack of weapon triangle, lack of waifu and lack of character combining) are all totally up my alley- whenever I play a modern FE game I usually get annoyed by those systems after awhile.

I enjoy how it's streamlined a bit, and I like the simplicity of the story so far. Love the Phoenix Wright/Exploration elements, and the presentation is great.

I've only played for two hours so far, but I think it's on a path towards being my fave FE ever

Pau

Is everyone else recruiting everyone as they meet them? I'm guessing if I don't recruit them as Alm that means they'll join Celica?

CSX

On Gamefaqs, I saw some threads where some posters were saying you should wait for the villagers to reach level 10 to promote. While the other classes can be promoted right away.

i seen some people mentioning that villager class have a small exp multiplier bonus from lv1-10 so assuming it's true, the idea is to milk the fact that they can level up faster.

Speaking of level ups, good lord these growth rates! Just getting a +3 level up warrants a goddam celebration!

i seen some people mentioning that villager class have a small exp multiplier bonus from lv1-10 so assuming it's true, the idea is to milk the fact that they can level up faster.

Speaking of level ups, good lord these growth rates! Just getting a +3 level up warrants a goddam celebration!
I think I got a medal for getting an unusual level up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What's with this spine, when did they start making the Nintendo logo red? This is probably my last 3DS game and the only one with a red spine. Why bother changing it so close to the end of the system's life? Printed updated covers for my older PS4 games after Sony changed the style on those. I don't think I'll bother with that for this, I'll just be slightly irritated every time I look at my 3DS games.

Not sure when I will get to it though. Almost done with Trails in the Sky 3rd, but Nier was fixed so I can finally play that now (thanks AMD, no thanks to SE/P*), and I still need to play Cosmic Star Heroine. Hell, I still haven't even bothered playing the two bonus games from the Fates LE, though to be honest I'm not terribly enthused about playing either Birthright or Revelations.

PK Gaming

DAO9-_qW0AAkThe.jpg

source

TWILT

Banned
Made it to Celica's path (beginning of act 2). Game's fun though I can definitely feel how long and empty the maps feel. They're just tedious to move your units through after a while and it's something I really wish they fixed in this remake. I'm also not sure how I feel about the dungeon crawling in the game. I mean, it's not bad persay, but I dunno, it's not something I'm super into and while they're mostly short, I do find myself trying to complete it asap to get back to the world map.

All that being said, the rest of the game is aces. The music is great, the voice acting is top notch (having it full on is pretty nice), the animations are really nice and dynamic and the writing is a lot more sharp and better than Fates (though I guess that's not a high bar lol). This probably won't be my favorite FE, but that's fine and I am still enjoying it.

Smasher89

So what is renown used for? Sorry if thats a spoiler

Havent gotten this game, but in awakening it was a currency you got through streetpass that was shared between the multiple savefiles, and could unlock bonus items as long as you had reached the amount for them for free once per playthrough,

Making weapon themed playthroughs for example a possible option. Can also help in Lunatic modes for examples if that's still in.

I'm at Zofia Castle now. Really enjoying the game despite the weaker map design. All of the characters are likable so far, visuals are great, love the art style with some really good looking character designs, the supports are short and to the point unlike the last two games tedious wordiness, the game play changes like casting from health for magic users and traditionally ranged unit being able to attack close up are very cool.

I'm also enjoying the story as well, it's a very traditional rebellion versus empire story so far but it's also touching on themes like classism within the rebel side which is cool. I like how Gray and Tobin come off like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, always having something to say after a story beat.

On Act 3, the Grieth fight is actually giving me a lot of trouble. Got near the end but had a unit die (I'm playing classic) and was out of turnwheel uses

syncyes

I haven't played an older FE game in a while. Almost forgot how liberating the early games' low growth rates are. In modern FE I get mad when levels up aren't close to perfect, in these ones I just go "lol doesn't matter anyways!!" and move on with my life.

Just wrapped up Act 1. Sending my lance users into mobs of brigands in the early game felt so weird. Not used to not having my precious weapon triangle! :p

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So....does anyone know if you can go back to the old 'fountains' of stats after the act is over?

Just finished Act 1 Alm, and realized I forgot to use them, lol. The map looks like its continuous, but that could just be a design thing.

Jims

This game is so weird and I like it. After going down this progressive path of team-ups and children and stuff lately in Fire Emblem game, it's fun to go back to such a different system. The super-open maps are weird. One map just became a, I-better-just-make-a-line strategy, so everyone doesn't get doubled. Seems like more of a formation-driven game rather than a chokepoint-management game so far. But this is super early still.

It's interesting how they give you those promotion decisions so upfront with these villagers. It's kinda tempting you into making bad decisions, since you don't know what people are actually good at yet. I made Faye into a Pegasus Knight instead of a Cleric (like I see people suggesting here now), but am assuming the game isn't going to punish you for not knowing/guessing in advance.

RRockman

Banned
I really like the approach this game took with the story. I loved how it went from 0-100 FAST, from childhood antics to fighting for your dear life in minutes! I noticed that IS are going HARD on Alm and Celica but since I like both characters it isn't annoying at all, unlike certain other rpgs with "obvious" official parings. I also enjoy how the core cast grew up together as well, they are introduced in a fun way and they make me want to make sure they ALL survive. I'm like 5 hours in and I cant put the game down. It might dethrone FE7 as my favorite!

Tell me though, does Faye ever get over Alm? we all know it isn't happening and I have no idea why they made it such a large part of her character.

ryseing

A Fire Emblem hasn't sucked me in like this since 7. I've had to force myself to take breaks as I've gotten caught up in the story and don't even notice that 2-3 hours have gone by.

Best 3DS FE no doubt. The jump in quality from Fates to this is ASTOUNDING. Writing characters I actually give a damn about will do that. It's not just Alm and Celica- I also really like the starting villagers and Saber.

I made my Faye into a Pegasus Knight and I haven't regretted it. I love sending her into the fray and watching her hold her own.

Cleric Faye gets
Physic
at level 6 though, which is a lifesaver when witches start popping up.

Delio

This game is so weird and I like it. After going down this progressive path of team-ups and children and stuff lately in Fire Emblem game, it's fun to go back to such a different system. The super-open maps are weird. One map just became a, I-better-just-make-a-line strategy, so everyone doesn't get doubled. Seems like more of a formation-driven game rather than a chokepoint-management game so far. But this is super early still.

It's interesting how they give you those promotion decisions so upfront with these villagers. It's kinda tempting you into making bad decisions, since you don't know what people are actually good at yet. I made Faye into a Pegasus Knight instead of a Cleric (like I see people suggesting here now), but am assuming the game isn't going to punish you for not knowing/guessing in advance.

I made my Faye into a Pegasus Knight and I haven't regretted it. I love sending her into the fray and watching her hold her own.

Strings

I really think folks are going overboard with the 'best 3ds FE' thing. At least finish it first!

Especially because I think it peaks in the first 2 hours :p

Also, it's super weird the cutscenes were done by Studio Khara. This is probably the first time they've ever disappointed me - like, the animation and choreography are both super weak, and the scenes overall are only sometimes saved by the god-tier music (like that ballroom scene, unfgh).

The competition really isn't all that stiff though TBF. I love Awakening for reinvigorating the series, but the actual gameplay of it leaves something to be desired, and the less said about Fates the better.

Oh, I know - I'm not the biggest fan of either, but imo Echoes is ultimately just as lopsided as Fates is.

ryseing

I really think folks are going overboard with the 'best 3ds FE' thing. At least finish it first!

The competition really isn't all that stiff though TBF. I love Awakening for reinvigorating the series, but the actual gameplay of it leaves something to be desired, and the less said about Fates the better.

eXistor

I've only played a short while, but I think this is more my type of Fire Emblem. I didn't care much for Fates. I like the story setup a lot more and the gameplay seems more straight-forward and traditional without too much superfluous crap that bog down modern FE's.

vkrili

Tell me though, does Faye ever get over Alm? we all know it isn't happening and I have no idea why they made it such a large part of her character.
She's
a joke about FE grognards. Her Japanese name is "Efi" and she desperately clings to the past and doesn't want things to change.

Moonlight

Banned
The gameplay and map design of Conquest is pretty phenomenal, though.

And while I'm not especially far into Valentia so far, Fates was a lot better paced by way of not putting like three to four encounters in your way before getting to the next real mission.

Macka

Play-Asia still hasn't shipped. I ordered when the game was announced.

Why does this always happen. Pre-orders seem to mean nothing on that site.

Delio

A Fire Emblem hasn't sucked me in like this since 7. I've had to force myself to take breaks as I've gotten caught up in the story and don't even notice that 2-3 hours have gone by.

Best 3DS FE no doubt. The jump in quality from Fates to this is ASTOUNDING. Writing characters I actually give a damn about will do that. It's not just Alm and Celica- I also really like the starting villagers and Saber.

Cleric Faye gets
Physic
at level 6 though, which is a lifesaver when witches start popping up.

I know but i dont mind. If I cant even beat them without that then bleh on me lol.

nubbe

nuhu!
9 hours in and I think it keeps getting better
but the maps should have been reimagined. they are too flat and large

Erheller

Beat
Desaix
at the end of Chapter 1 on Hard mode. Minimal grinding, but I needed two high def units and two clerics.

Top Bottom