• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Turok 2 canned, layoffs?

I'm really don't like this trend of being first to post shitty news, but I've heard from several folks now that Turok 2 has been canned and Propaganda (the dev) has laid off in the neighborhood of 50 people.

Anyway, I don't have direct confirmation or PR - and I'd much rather be proven wrong - but it's enough people telling me for it to get posted here. [edit: confirmed]

Pray for bishoptl, guys. :(

Edit: Crap, sorry guys, the other hammer on the nail hit today too. Just heard that EAC dropped ~50.

Big-E

Why is Vancouver taking all this damage? Our dollar is shit again though we are the least affordable city in North America so that might have something to do with it.

Zoe

Big-E said:
Why is Vancouver taking all this damage? Our dollar is shit again though we are the least affordable city in North America so that might have something to do with it.

Maybe it's a Disney thing?

Can't say I am to fussed on losing the game, as I struggled to want to finish the first, but as always best of luck to all the people involved in this.

Akia

2009 has been brutal thus far. Every other day it seems like some studio is laying off workings or shutting down.

That's a shame, and good luck to those guys and gals who lost their jobs.

I think every day it becomes painfully more obvious that the current business model isn't fucking working.

BiggNife

The problem I had with Turok 360 is that the single player just felt incredibly generic. It sure did look nice graphically though, and I liked the idea of having wild dinosaurs attacking everyone on the multiplayer maps. I'm honestly surprised it sold as well as it did, but I would have rented the sequel. It sucks for Propaganda, that's for sure.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Big-E said:
St. Catharines disease is spreading across all of Canada.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
I didn't know there was a Turok 2 coming out? Is this ture about Propaganda colsing?
I just got Turok for $9.99 at best buy. I having fun with the game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
By god, this is like the eighth round of layoffs in Vancouver. There must be more than 500 unemployed game developers there. o_O

Best wishes to you Bishoptl.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Nooo, hope bish keeps his job! I enjoyed the first Turok as well, it'd suck if the sequel really was canned.

Both him and the game are the reason I got my tag...

Kingpen

Darn if true I was one of the guys that absolutely loved what they did with Turok... Still is a great single player game in my opinion, and long

Only thing I would have changed was having more gore on the knife kills

Hairtux

Shin Johnpv said:
I think every day it becomes painfully more obvious that the current business model isn't fucking working.

What doesn't work is releasing a mediocre game. Sucks for the people who are losing their jobs, but Turok wasn't that special.

While it's not nice seeing people lose their jobs, I'm job hunting myself at the moment, I can't say I'm disappointed to see another Turok game go down the drain.

Turok 1 was really good, Turok 2 was awesome, Turok 3 was good. After that it's just been shit. Turok Evolution is absolutely terrible, the latest Turok was pretty bad as well, so there is no hope left for another great Turok game.

Firestorm

So it looks like I'm moving once I graduate.

Radical, EA Blackbox, Nexon Vancouver, Propaganda... what's next? Relic, Hothead, Blue Castle? :(

FightyF

Banned
Aeris130 said:
Sustaining business during economic downturns is a fairly important aspect of it.

If the decision came from Disney, it may have more to do with them looking at their own bottom line and immediate concerns more than Propaganda failing to sustain their business.

Real sad. Vancouver is getting hit hard.

Xav

Kifimbo said:
Good luck to everyone.

You have to admit Disney with Turok didn't make much sense though.
Neither did Disney and an ATV game but that worked out pretty well.

Top Bottom