• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Meguro

Banned
I also don't have friends who talk to Glenn Beck and who get upset at "liberal snowflakes" and who make garbage jokes about women on INTERNATIONAL WOMENS DAY etc. etc.
I'm concerned that you think that's something you should just tolerate as a friend if I'm honest.

J_Viper

I have yet to see anyone in here hating on Danny...

Hate is me exaggerating, but pulling Patreon support only because he supported a friend is ridiculously petty.

I also don't have friends who talk to Glenn Beck and who get upset at "liberal snowflakes" and who make garbage jokes about women on INTERNATIONAL WOMENS DAY etc. etc.
I'm concerned that you think that's something you should just tolerate as a friend if I'm honest.

To each his own. I personally wouldn't let one dumb joke define someone, especially if it was a friend I've known for a while.

Nerokis

Yeah, Danny seems like a decent bloke and has done some good work, but this isn't the first time he's flirted with some bullshit.

Nobody is obliged to support him (and especially not the type of people who are on the receiving end of his friend's bullshit opinions) and nobody is taking anything of his away - it's just choosing not to give him something.

And obviously that's your choice to make.

But it seems to be a pretty popular choice in this thread, and considering you guys are exactly the kind of people I'd think/hope would support him, something doesn't seem quite right about that.

Megasoum

Banned
Hate is me exaggerating, but pulling Patreon support only because he supported a friend is ridiculously petty.

To each his own. I personally wouldn't let one dumb joke define someone, especially if it was a friend I've known for a while.

He's free to support whoever he wants just as much as I'm free to support whoever I want...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean here's the thing, considering the kind of people who withdrew from kinda funny's own patreon and is most likely supporting colin's patreon, it's not like colin is standing on a morally grey area on the kind of people who supports him.

Curufinwe

You must be trolling if you're pretending this is about one joke.

Meguro

Banned
Colin has done PLENTY to define himself outside of that one "joke".

Edit:
What actually really makes me mad is that he's continuing to support him despite clearly following people who have laid it out in stark terms why maybe one shouldn't.
People he himself hired for projects before!
Danny can do better. Way better.

aVJpqJV.png

Yeah, was probably going to do it soon anyway, but time to call it a day on Danny's Patreon.

Meanwhile he's out there re-tweeting a trans dev who's spent the last hour admonishing the industry's show of support for Colin. Really made a home for himself on that fence.

This made me sad.

Salarians

egg sandwiches are one of the best foods in existence tbh

What I can't believe (or maybe I can!) is that Guerilla, who never made anything other than an FPS (apart from the isometric PSP Killzone), was able in their first try, to make an open-world RPG that runs circles (performance wise) around Bethesda open-world RPGs. Could you imagine TES or Fallout looking and running like Horizon!?
It's such a well crafted game in every respect, even down to the snappiness of the menu or the speed upon reloading after a death. Just... bravo Guerrilla.

J_Viper

You're absolutely right to pull support for whatever reason, but I just think this reason in particular is silly.

I don't know, perhaps I just have a higher tolerance for opposing views, but I've never seen anything Colin has stated that was worth him being demonized by this board and cheering for him losing his job. He's not Milo.

But whatever I don't wanna start this fight up again. I'm sure I'm wrong, and I apologize in advance.

You're absolutely right to pull support for whatever reason, but I just think this reason in particular is silly.

I don't know, perhaps I just have a higher tolerance for opposing views, but I've never seen anything Colin has stated that was worth him being demonized by this board and cheering for him losing his job. He's not Milo.

But whatever I don't wanna start this fight up again. I'm sure I'm wrong, and I apologize in advance.

He didn't lose his job. He left like a baby to start a dipshit conservative youtube channel chasing that Jontron money.

jambo

Not racist, just popular with racists.

Zaph

Lol yeah, that's the problem here, we just can't tolerate opposing views.

Always some mug ready to downplay racist and sexist bullshit.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I honestly don't understand this. I'm guessing most of you have kept up with Danny for a pretty long time. You know he does good work, and you know there's a good chance he's not a bad person by any stretch of the imagination. But because he's released some indecisive tweets, and dares to support the Patreon of a long-term industry persona who's worst crimes are having stupid political opinions and trolling on Twitter, you're demonizing him and trying to punish him financially.

I understand latching onto certain heuristics when you don't know someone particularly well, or aren't invested in them in any way. "Supporting Colin's Patreon? Eh, gonna avoid this person." But in Danny's case, you have a larger context for who he is and what he does, and presumably a connection with him as a consumer of his content that goes back years. What is there to be gained by not supporting him?

Because were I him, and I saw that this was as little as it took to spark a backlash among my progressive fans, I wouldn't be thinking I'd need to reform on a personal level. I'd be struggling with the fact that there's such a strong financial incentive to suppress even my more innocuous slightly contrarian opinions, and in my more bitter moods, I might be looking for support elsewhere.

In other words, Danny's always seemed like a cool guy, but he's also human, and I wouldn't blame him if this kind of unwarranted backlash distorted his opinion of the side (I'm assuming - I could have a massive blindspot here, but I don't think so) he's inclined to support. And seeing as I'm on that side, that seems counterproductive to me.

In addition to all this, I would bet most the GB crew would see all the "at least GB has good people!" sentiment being expressed in this thread, and feel it's unearned. Because they're probably big Danny fans, and don't think they're particularly better people just because they've done a better job maneuvering through heated political waters.

People don't want their money potentially going to someone who spreads a hateful message. Not sure why this is a difficult concept for you.

I honestly don't understand this. I'm guessing most of you have kept up with Danny for a pretty long time. You know he does good work, and you know there's a good chance he's not a bad person by any stretch of the imagination. But because he's released some indecisive tweets, and dares to support the Patreon of a long-term industry persona who's worst crimes are having stupid political opinions and trolling on Twitter, you're demonizing him and trying to punish him financially.

I understand latching onto certain heuristics when you don't know someone particularly well, or aren't invested in them in any way. "Supporting Colin's Patreon? Eh, gonna avoid this person." But in Danny's case, you have a larger context for who he is and what he does, and presumably a connection with him as a consumer of his content that goes back years. What is there to be gained by not supporting him?

Because were I him, and I saw that this was as little as it took to spark a backlash among my progressive fans, I wouldn't be thinking I'd need to reform on a personal level. I'd be struggling with the fact that there's such a strong financial incentive to suppress even my more innocuous slightly contrarian opinions, and in my more bitter moods, I might be looking for support elsewhere.

In other words, Danny's always seemed like a cool guy, but he's also human, and I wouldn't blame him if this kind of unwarranted backlash distorted his opinion of the side (I'm assuming - I could have a massive blindspot here, but I don't think so) he's inclined to support. And seeing as I'm on that side, that seems counterproductive to me.

In addition to all this, I would bet most the GB crew would see all the "at least GB has good people!" sentiment being expressed in this thread, and feel it's unearned. Because they're probably big Danny fans, and don't think they're particularly better people just because they've done a better job maneuvering through heated political waters.

Danny is a random dude on the internet I give a few bucks to, he's not my Dad.

I don't think he's a video producer

But isn't GB West getting two hires? I think they were already said to be getting an editorial person, but when Drew left, that opened up that video producer spot. So overall, I think they are looking for three people: two video producers (one for East, one for West) and one editorial person (for West). I don't know if they said which spot will be filled first.

danm999

I don't think Danny is a bad or hateful person but I do question the judgement of someone who gives money to Colin Moriarty for his opinions on politics and history.

Mupod

Oh my god Beast in the East could not have ended better.

Also either Vinny has secretly played this game before or is goddamn clairvoyant. First the
Michael Jackson
comment now he basically describes
Nishitani
perfectly.

Aaron

I don't think Danny is a bad or hateful person but I do question the judgement of someone who gives money to Colin Moriarty for his opinions on politics and history.
He's also using the money of his own patrons to do it, since they are the sole source of his current income, as far as I can tell. By visibly supporting Colin, he's asking his patrons to at least tolerate the same sort of shit views and history revisioning that won Trump the presidency.

He's also using the money of his own patrons to do it, since they are the sole source of his current income, as far as I can tell. By visibly supporting Colin, he's asking his patrons to at least tolerate the same sort of shit views and history revisioning that won Trump the presidency.

4664b61763abd352808a84580bb2013d.jpg

Eleuin

What I can't believe (or maybe I can!) is that Guerilla, who never made anything other than an FPS (apart from the isometric PSP Killzone), was able in their first try, to make an open-world RPG that runs circles (performance wise) around Bethesda open-world RPGs. Could you imagine TES or Fallout looking and running like Horizon!?

they've always been technical savants

people always bring up the killzone 2 downgrade but what they accomplished on a PS3 is crazy

I'm kinda sad that Mass Effect had to be the one to combo-break this insane pattern of high quality releases

These past 72 hours went from me wanting to get the game to laugh at the jank to instantly not wanting to even touch it because it's even worse than I thought

It's been a real 'through the looking glass' moment for me.

J_Viper

These past 72 hours went from me wanting to get the game to laugh at the jank to instantly not wanting to even touch it because it's even worse than I thought

It's been a real 'through the looking glass' moment for me.

Yeah, the hilarious glitches and animations had me even more curious, but once Jeff said "Direct-to-DVD Mass Effect", it was over.

Yeah, the hilarious glitches and animations had me even more curious, but once Jeff said "Direct-to-DVD Mass Effect", it was over.

for me it was the completely useless dialogue, the pop in, and just the boring 'Go to citadel, fight waves, SUDOKU' moments. That seemed to be the major loop of the game. Oh, and Brad saying that loot was mostly crafted and not found(Except for that one drop.)

Top Bottom