• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There Came An Echo – War Room Mode Gameplay

weeeeezy

Banned
Article

Youtube Link

Independent developer Iridium Studios have uploaded the above new There Came An Echo video which shows off pre-alpha gameplay from the War Room Mode. The War Room Mode appears to be a “horde mode” judging by the video’s description, which you can read below:

Pre-Alpha footage of our new War Room mode! Mess around with weapons, tactics, and custom voice commands and fend off waves of enemies!
Like us at www.facebook.com/IridiumStudios
Follow us at www.twitter.com/IridiumStudios
And will we give you hugs.
Share or retweet the video for a chance to win an Oculus Rift Development Kit (v1)! For official contest rules, see: www.playiridium.com/contest

There Came An Echo is a fully Kinect 2 supported voice-controlled real-time squad tactics game with customisable voice commands which will be available to download on Xbox LIVE for Xbox One via the ID@Xbox programme and is expected later this year.

Looks like a pretty good strategy Kinect game to me...

jem0208

Interesting, a lot of effort has gone into making those commands work well. Hopefully they work as well as advertised.

Zakalwe

Banned
Any specific game play videos you know of that show off the game a little better? Or is his it for now?

Voice commands seem very well done, but that war room trailer looked a little dull. Pre-alpha, so not judging. Will keep an eye on it.

weeeeezy

Banned
Any specific game play videos you know of that show off the game a little better?

Voice commands seem very well done, but that war room trailer looked a little dull.

The only thing I can find that has been released yet. I would like to see this live though just to make sure this can all be done seamlessly.

Nachos

Any specific game play videos you know of that show off the game a little better? Or is his it for now?

Voice commands seem very well done, but that war room trailer looked a little dull. Pre-alpha, so not judging. Will keep an eye on it.

That's it, as far as I know. I know Feep did some quick videos for the rest of GAF in one of the previous trailers, though.

weeeeezy

Banned
I'm wondering how competitive this kind of game can be. It seems to act like an RTS type game like Starcraft but a bit more simple since it's using Kinect.

soultron

Banned
Grimløck;120875695 said:
looks cool. isn't this feep's game?

It is. Pretty sure that was him in the trailer, calling the shots.

Looked interesting. Would love to see a non-arena style gameplay video.

Feep

Banned
That was indeed me, calling the shots. = D

We also released a full trailer a couple months back.

This mode is the War Room mode, basically just meant to mess around with the voice commands and the tactics. I probably should have sent some soldiers around to flank the enemy, in retrospect.

I'll be happy to answer any questions! Oh, and that article is from a Kinect-based site, but it's also coming out for Steam and PS4.

weeeeezy

Banned
That was indeed me, calling the shots. = D

We also released a full trailer a couple months back.

This mode is the War Room mode, basically just meant to mess around with the voice commands and the tactics. I probably should have sent some soldiers around to flank the enemy, in retrospect.

I'll be happy to answer any questions! Oh, and that article is from a Kinect-based site, but it's also coming out for Steam and PS4.

Thanks for the full trailer. Any video's of you actually saying the voice commands in front of the Kinect? How did you manage to get Kinect to work with natural language?

Edit: Didn't realize this title was coming to PS4 and PC as well. Also, not sure if you are actually a developer or part of the team making this game.

Feep

Banned
Thanks for the full trailer. Any video's of you actually saying the voice commands in front of the Kinect? How did you manage to get Kinect to work with natural language?

Edit: Didn't realize this title was coming to PS4 and PC as well. Also, not sure if you are actually a developer or part of the team making this game.
We don't actually have a natural language processing system. We let the player replace existing commands (like "retreat") with their own custom variants (like "get back"). Natural language without cloud-based processing is still extremely difficult at the moment. To my knowledge, Microsoft doesn't have this sort of capability set up, and even then, it might not be quick enough for a game like this.

With regard to the Kinect in use, not at the moment, but I could certainly do so at some point. I do have some VERY old videos (in prototype days) showing off aliasing and accent/foreign language recognition. These are with the old Kinect 1.0, I might add.

I'm the lead developer on the game.

Top Bottom