• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
For anyone looking to take their Tolkien and fantasy appreciation to another level.

The Cardiff Metropolitan University is offering two short courses on J.R.R. Tolkien, both taught by the renowned Dr. Dimitra Fimi:
Fantasy Literature: Tales Before and After Tolkien - In this twelve-week course, students will explore the world of fantasy literature, beginning with its Victorian roots and ending with a look at fantasy in contemporary popular culture. The course will explore the impact of JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings on the genre; debate whether science fantasy exists as a sub-genre; discuss the future of fantasy as both a literary and popular culture genre; and more.

J.R.R. Tolkien: Myth and Middle-earth in Context - This twelve-week course will examine Tolkien’s legendarium, from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings to The Silmarillion, including an exploration of his inspiration, his invented languages and alphabets, his portrayal of the various races and cultures of Middle-earth, and his continuing influence on popular culture.
http://www3.uwic.ac.uk/english/education/enterprise/courses/pages/tolkienfantasy.aspx

Mythgard Institute and Signum University
Science Fiction, Part I - Taught by award-winning scholar Dr. Amy H. Sturgis, this course will focus on the literary genre which the late Ray Bradbury described as "the most important literature in the history of the world."

The Story of The Hobbit - Taught by Dr. Corey Olsen "the Tolkien Professor," and featuring guest lecturers John D. Rateliff and Douglas A. Anderson, this course will focus on the growth and development of JRR Tolkien's classic children's story, and discuss its adaptation to film.

Elementary Latin II - This course, offered through Signum University and taught by Dr. Philip Walsh, will complete the introductory Latin courses, providing students with an understanding of the basic elements of the language, such as grammar, vocabulary, and reading comprehension.
http://www.mythgard.org/embark/enrollment/

Cardiff Metropolitan University
Fantasy Literature: Tales Before and After Tolkien

From Victorian Fairy Tales to Modern Imaginary Worlds

Course Length: 12 weeks (including a reading week & essay writing week)

Entry Requirements: None

Course Content: This course will explore the fascinating world of fantasy literature, from its Victorian roots to its most recent examples. We will start with Victorian and Edwardian fantasists (William Morris, George MacDonald, and the mythology of childhood developed by Charles Kingsley and J.M. Barrie), explore the enormous impact on fantasy of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings; evaluate Tolkien’s legacy (C.S. Lewis Narnia books, and Terry Brooks and Stephen Donaldson’s work); look at the best works of American fantasy (including Frank Baum’s Wizard of Oz and Ursula Le Guin’s Earthsea series) and debate whether science fantasy exists as a sub-genre by looking at Frank Herbert’s Dune, and the Star Wars (extended) mythology. We will end with looking at fantasy in contemporary popular culture, focusing on TV fantasy and its powerful female heroines (including the mythology of Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and some discussion of the future of fantasy as a literary and popular culture genre.

Course Objectives:
• To introduce and differentiate between modes and types of fantasy literature
• To examine the origins and major themes in fantasy literature
• To explore the literary conventions and stylistic devices employed in fantasy literature
• To explore how fantasy literature responds to contemporary cultural changes and intellectual and social developments
• To investigate recent critical and theoretical debates about fantasy literature
• To analyse and re-evaluate the classification of fantasy literature as “genre” or “popular” fiction

Academic Credit: 20 credits at Year 3 Undergraduate Level

Course aimed at: Undergraduate students and adult learners interested in fantasy literature

Programme Leader: Dr Dimitra Fimi

Cost: £390

Additional Information: This is an online course, delivered through Cardiff Met's virtual learning environment.
J.R.R. Tolkien: Myth and Middle-earth in Context

Course Length: 12 weeks (including a reading week & essay writing week)

Entry Requirements: None

Course Content: This course will examine the J.R.R. Tolkien’s legendarium, from his much-loved The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, to his extended mythology most commonly known from the published Silmarillion. We will explore Tolkien’s early project for a “mythology for England” and trace his inspiration and creative re-working of myth and folklore (including Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse, Celtic, Arthurian and Classical material) and the literary tradition (from Shakespeare to Victorian and Edwardian literature). We will look at Tolkien’s invented languages and alphabets as an integral part of his mythology; discuss Tolkien’s portrayal of the “races” and cultures of Middle-earth, and end with a consideration of Tolkien’s continuing influence on popular culture, including Peter Jackson’s film adaptation of The Lord of the Rings.

Course Objectives:
• To examine the work of J.R.R. Tolkien as one of the main authors of the fantasy literature genre
• To examine the creative uses of Tolkien’s sources in medieval and renaissance literature, myth and folklore, and Victorian and Edwardian literature
• To explore how Tolkien’s work responds to contemporary cultural changes and intellectual and social developments
• To explore major themes and continuities in Tolkien’s work
• To investigate recent critical and theoretical approaches to Tolkien’s work
• To re-evaluate Tolkien’s position in the literary canon
• To examine Tolkien’s influence in modern popular culture

Academic Credit: 20 credits at Masters Level

Course aimed at: Postgraduate students and adult learners interested in fantasy literature

Programme Leader: Dr Dimitra Fimi

Cost: £420

Additional Information: This is an online course, delivered through Cardiff Met's virtual learning environment.

Looks very enticing, I graduated many moons ago, so I'd be classified as an adult learner though and it would just be for pleasure, rather than academic credit. Might consider it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Spot the names that Tolkien used from the Dvergatal.

1. All the gods of that time gathered at the place of the Debate-Chair,
The Holy Leaders, and gave their concern there,
who would the skilled dwarves many to create
of Brimir's* blood and of Bláin's bones.

2. They made Mótsognir, a master by reputation
amongst dwarves, but Durinn second;
they made several manlike bodies,
Dwarves of earth, as Durinn is called.

3. Nýi and Niði, Norðri and Suðri,
Austri and Vestri, Alþjófur, Dvalinn,
Bívör, Bávör, Bömbur, Nóri,
Án and Ánar, Ái, Mjöðvitnir.

4. Veigur and Gandálfur, Vindálfur, Þráinn,
Þekkur and Þorinn, Þrár, Vitur and Litur,
Nár and Nýráður, Reginn and Ráðsviður,
the dwarves being correctly named.

5. Fíli, Kíli, Fundinn, Náli,
Hefti, Víli, Hannar, Svíur,
Frár, Hornbori, Frægur and Lóni,
Aurvangur, Jari, Eikinskjaldi.

6. I speak of the dwarves in Dvalins guild,
the group to lead from Lofar onwards,
they from rock and fissure, from stone halls
Aurvanga's seat in Jöruvalla.

7. There Was Draupnir and Dólgþrasir,
Hár, Haugspori, Hlévangur, Glói,
Skirvir, Virvir, Skáfiður, Ái.

8. Álfur and Yngvi, Eikinskjaldi,
Fjalar and Frosti, Finnur and Ginnar;
that I ever remember as age exists,
I speak of Lofars companions.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Hobyahs.
ONCE there was an old man and woman and a little girl, and they all lived in a house made of hempstalks. Now the old man had a little dog named Turpie and one night the Hobyahs came and said, 'Hobyah! Hobyah! Hobyah! Tear down the hempstalks, eat up the old man and woman, and carry off the little girl!' But little dog Turpie barked so that the Hobyahs ran off; and the old man said, 'Little dog Turpie barks so that I cannot sleep nor slumber, and if I live till morning I will cut off his tail.' So in the morning the old man cut off little dog Turpie's tail.

The next night the Hobyahs came again, and said, 'Hobyah! Hobyah! Hobyah! Tear down the hempstalks, eat up the old man and woman, and carry off the little girl!' But little dog Turpie barked so that the Hobyahs ran off; and the old man said, 'Little dog Turpie
barks so that I cannot sleep nor slumber, and if I live till morning I will cut off one of his legs.' So in the morning the old man cut off one of little dog Turpie's legs.

The next night the Hobyahs came again, and said, 'Hobyah! Hobyah! Hobyah! Tear down the hempstalks, eat up the old man and woman, and carry off the little girl!' But little dog Turpie barked so that the Hobyahs ran off; and the old man said, 'Little dog Turpie barks so that I cannot sleep nor slumber, and if I live till morning I will cut off another of his legs.' So in the morning the old man cut off another of little dog Turpie's legs.

The next night the Hobyahs came again, and said 'Hobyah! Hobyah! Hobyah! Tear down the hempstalks, eat up the old man and woman, and carry off the little girl!' But little dog Turpie barked so that the Hobyahs ran off; and the old man said, 'Little dog Turpie barks so that I cannot sleep nor slumber, and if I live till morning I will cut off another of his legs.' So in the morning the old man cut off another of little dog Turpie's legs.

The next night the Hobyahs came again, and said 'Hobyah! Hobyah! Hobyah! Tear down the hempstalks, eat up the old man and woman, and carry off the little girl!' But little dog Turpie barked so that the Hobyahs ran off; and the old man said, 'Little dog Turpie barks so that I cannot sleep nor slumber, and if I live till morning I will cut off another of his legs.' So in the morning the old man cut off another of little dog Turpie's legs.

The next night the Hobyahs came again, and said 'Hobyah! Hobyah! Hobyah! Tear down the hempstalks, eat up the old man and woman, and carry off the little girl!' But little dog Turpie barked so that the Hobyahs ran off; and the old man said, 'Little dog Turpie barks so that I cannot sleep nor slumber, and if I live till morning I will cut off little dog Turpie's head.' So in the morning the old man cut off little dog Turpie' s head.

The next night the Hobyahs came again, and said 'Hobyah! Hobyah! Hobyah! Tear down the hempstalks, eat up the old man and woman, and carry off the little girl!' And when the Hobyahs found that little dog Turpie's head was off they tore down hempstalks, ate up the woman, and carried the a bag.

And when the Hobyahs came to their home they hung up the bag with the little girl in it, and every Hobyah knocked on the top of the bag and said, 'Look me! look me!' And then they went to sleep until the next night, for the Hobyahs slept in the daytime.

The little girl cried a great deal, and a man with a big dog came that way and heard her crying. When he asked her how she came there and she told him, he put the dog in the bag and took the little girl to his home.

The next night the Hobyahs took down the bag and knocked at the top of it, and said 'Look me, look me!' and when they opened the bag the big dog jumped out and ate them all up; so there are no Hobyahs now.
ib2rQ0cVZ6yhcZ.png

This rather gruesome fairy tale has been discredited as an inspiration for the Hobbits of Tolkien's mythos, but still pretty interesting.

Even when taking the Denham Tracts into account, there is no doubt that Tolkien is the inventor of 'Hobbits' as we know them today.

The infamous Denham Tracts' list of spirits and fairies that has sparked much debate.
"What a happiness this must have been seventy or eighty years ago and upwards, to those chosen few who had the good luck to be born on the eve of this festival of all festivals; when the whole earth was so overrun with ghosts, boggles, Bloody Bones, spirits, demons, ignis fatui, brownies, bugbears, black dogs, spectres, shellycoats, scarecrows, witches, wizards, barguests, Robin-Goodfellows, hags, night-bats, scrags, breaknecks, fantasms, hobgoblins, hobhoulards, boggy-boes, dobbies, hob-thrusts, fetches, kelpies, warlocks, mock-beggars, mum-pokers, Jemmy-burties, urchins, satyrs, pans, fauns, sirens, tritons, centaurs, calcars, nymphs, imps, incubuses, spoorns, men-in-the-oak, hell-wains, fire-drakes, kit-a-can-sticks, Tom-tumblers, melch-dicks, larrs, kitty-witches, hobby-lanthorns, Dick-a-Tuesdays, Elf-fires, Gyl-burnt-tales, knockers, elves, rawheads, Meg-with-the-wads, old-shocks, ouphs, pad-foots, pixies, pictrees, giants, dwarfs, Tom-pokers, tutgots, snapdragons, sprets, spunks, conjurers, thurses, spurns, tantarrabobs, swaithes, tints, tod-lowries, Jack-in-the-Wads, mormos, changelings, redcaps, yeth-hounds, colt-pixies, Tom-thumbs, black-bugs, boggarts, scar-bugs, shag-foals, hodge-pochers, hob-thrushes, bugs, bull-beggars, bygorns, bolls, caddies, bomen, brags, wraiths, waffs, flay-boggarts, fiends, gallytrots, imps, gytrashes, patches, hob-and-lanthorns, gringes, boguests, bonelesses, Peg-powlers, pucks, fays, kidnappers, gallybeggars, hudskins, nickers, madcaps, trolls, robinets, friars' lanthorns, silkies, cauld-lads, death-hearses, goblins, hob-headlesses, bugaboos, kows, or cowes, nickies, nacks, waiths, miffies, buckies, ghouls, sylphs, guests, swarths, freiths, freits, gy-carlins, pigmies, chittifaces, nixies, Jinny-burnt-tails, dudmen, hell-hounds, dopple-gangers, boggleboes, bogies, redmen, portunes, grants, hobbits, hobgoblins, brown-men, cowies, dunnies, wirrikows, alholdes, mannikins, follets, korreds, lubberkins, cluricauns, kobolds, leprechauns, kors, mares, korreds, puckles, korigans, sylvans, succubuses, blackmen, shadows, banshees, lian-hanshees, clabbernappers, Gabriel-hounds, mawkins, doubles, corpse lights or candles, scrats, mahounds, trows, gnomes, sprites, fates, fiends, sibyls, nicknevins, whitewomen, fairies, thrummy-caps, cutties, and nisses, and apparitions of every shape, make, form, fashion, kind and description, that there was not a village in England that had not its own peculiar ghost. Nay, every lone tenement, castle, or mansion-house, which could boast of any antiquity had its bogle, its spectre, or its knocker. The churches, churchyards, and crossroads were all haunted. Every green lane had its boulder-stone on which an apparition kept watch at night. Every common had its circle of fairies belonging to it. And there was scarcely a shepherd to be met with who had not seen a spirit!"
London: Folklore Society, 1895

ascii42

Edmond Dantès;41272626 said:
For anyone looking to take their Tolkien and fantasy appreciation to another level.

The Cardiff Metropolitan University is offering two short courses on J.R.R. Tolkien, both taught by the renowned Dr. Dimitra Fimi:

http://www3.uwic.ac.uk/english/education/enterprise/courses/pages/tolkienfantasy.aspx

Mythgard Institute and Signum University

http://www.mythgard.org/embark/enrollment/

Cardiff Metropolitan University

Looks very enticing, I graduated many moons ago, so I'd be classified as an adult learner though and it would just be for pleasure, rather than academic credit. Might consider it.

Those sound cool, but I've got enough on my plate with work and my attempt at getting a masters.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
You guys have completely lost me with all this middle-earth folklore.
This is pretty much the default Tolkien thread on GAF now and I thinks it's nice to share some of my Tolkien knowledge with everyone to give them a better appreciation of The Hobbit and Tolkien in general in the run-up to the films.

Whatever happens, the next two and a half years will be a great time to be a Tolkien fan.

pottuvoi

Banned
Edmond Dantès;41126166 said:
Easy choice though; Merry and Pippin.
Sam was quite whiny little bugger as well..
Actually just kill all hobbits make Boromir the lead hunk who gets to shag elf girl and shieldmaiden.

Edmond Dantès;41274293 said:
Spot the names that Tolkien used from the Dvergatal.

Durinn
Dvalinn
Bívör, Bávör, Bömbur, Nóri,
Gandálfur
Þráinn,
Þorinn, Þrár,
Fíli, Kíli, Fundinn,
Eikinskjaldi.
Glói,

Those I recognize.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Edmond Dantès;41245564 said:
If you're so vehemently against Peter Jackson and co and the production of the Hobbit, why continue following this thread or any news related to the project.
Mainly because I don't see why threads like this need to be an endless praiseathon. Why build hype for something that can't possibly happen?

Seems evident now that whatever happens, you'll find the Hobbit trilogy repugnant.

Here's mud in your eye.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Mainly because I don't see why threads like this need to be an endless praiseathon. Why build hype for something that can't possibly happen?

Here's mud in your eye.
There has been plenty of criticism leveled at Peter and co and doubt expressed over his appropriateness for the project in this thread. But some of us chose to believe that maybe, just maybe Peter can deliver an adaptation that is true to Tolkien and not butcher The Hobbit.

Yes, we should be dubious over the added material and concerns should be expressed at the news of the expansion into a trilogy, but hope remains that with the extra time he has at his disposal, that he can get every aspect of The Hobbit right and not omit anything from the novel as he did with The Lord of the Rings all the while staying true to Bilbo and keeping his adventure and growth as a character at the forefront of the narrative.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Edmond Dantès;41308644 said:
There has been plenty of criticism leveled at Peter and co and doubt expressed over his appropriateness for the project in this thread. But some of us chose to believe that maybe, just maybe Peter can deliver an adaptation that is true to Tolkien and not butcher The Hobbit.
Too late.

while staying true to Bilbo and keeping his adventure and growth as a character at the forefront of the narrative.

Seems unlikely with bridge films and what not.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;41271614 said:
Not in the novel, but they will be included in the film as servants of The Necromancer it seems.

I only hope they're treated with the mystery and gravitas that they had in Fellowship. The Barrowdowns chapters are some of my favorites in the novels - in novels, period. So spooky and amazing. I'd be totally okay with the thirteen dwarves wandering through the Downs and basically doing the wight scene from Fellowship with Gandalf saving them at the end.

I'd rather they not be Skeletor-looking robed villains at the Battle of Five Armies.

Edmond Dantès;41284218 said:
This is pretty much the default Tolkien thread on GAF now and I thinks it's nice to share some of my Tolkien knowledge with everyone to give them a better appreciation of The Hobbit and Tolkien in general in the run-up to the films.

Whatever happens, the next two and a half years will be a great time to be a Tolkien fan.

It's appreciated greatly. I've been a Tolkien fan for almost twenty years and have done some independent study of the books on an amateur scholarly level, so I'm very okay with the bits and bobs you post.

Can't wait to read the story you posted above, but time is not on my side tonight.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;41333963 said:
Higher ticket prices not likely for 48fps

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118058179.html?cmpid=RSS|News|FilmNews

I'll believe it when I see it.

My theory is that they won't raise the prices this year if 48fps catches on. Now that they've got three years to work it out, it's possible that for next year's film they may raise them. However, the concept of paying more for a higher frame-rate still seems ridiculous to me, I never had the suspicion they would up-charge for 48fps. If WB says they're not going to, then I'll take their word for it for now.

Being a fan of The Hobbit book, but not the Lord of the Rings books and movie. I'm still pretty excited but wary about The Hobbit movies. Mainly because it's three movies, when it should be one to two. But even than two is still pushing it. Also, I have never liked any Peter Jackson film. I'll still watch all three Hobbit movies and keep a open mind about it. I'm hoping I love the films.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That's sick, so pumped right now, this is my most anticipated movie of the year by far.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Edmond Dantès;41358525 said:
Confirmed three weeks ago.

I thought they were already stretching it with two movies, but three? Whats the deal, they gonna shoot more footage or do the old "3 movies/ 2 hours instead of 2 movies/ 3 hours" trick. Time to hit google I suppose to read up on this.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I thought they were already stretching it with two movies, but three? Whats the deal, they gonna shoot more footage or do the old "3 movies/ 2 hours instead of 2 movies/ 3 hours" trick. Time to hit google I suppose to read up on this.
They will be shooting extra material related to the LOTR appendices and they also have a plethora of footage from principle photography.

So Peter and co have decided that a third film will be more appropriate. How much of it is down to influence from Warner Bros is anyone's guess.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Edmond Dantès;41358827 said:
They will be shooting extra material related to the LOTR appendices and they also have a plethora of footage from principle photography.

So Peter and co have decided that a third film will be more appropriate. How much of it is down to influence from Warner Bros is anyone's guess.

lol

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
You think WB aren't going milk The Hobbit for all its worth? Don't be naive. It's an easy and effective way to make much more money.

As for the future there is a little known stipulation in the licence agreement that states that WB has to make a LOTR/Hobbit related film(s) every ten years to keep hold of the licence.

Not many people know that and it's not really talked about very often.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Edmond Dantès;41359047 said:
You think WB aren't going milk The Hobbit for all its worth? Don't be naive. It's an easy and effective way to make much more money.

As for the future there is a little known stipulation in the licence agreement that states that WB has to make a LOTR/Hobbit related film(s) every ten years to keep hold of the licence.

Not many people know that and it's not really talked about very often.

I lol'd because it's the most blatant cash grab I've ever seen. No director would want one story and a bunch of tacked on stuff split into three hour films, it's a studio decision all the way.

I wonder if its still possible they film some footage to make über extended editions of the LOTR trilogy. I can't get enough of those movies lol. I guess theres no ''need'' for extended editions of the Hobbit films now that it's a trilogy. I don't know if I can buy the first blu-ray release before confirmation!

Sorry NZ, no country is allowed to be this damn beautiful. Nope. Just can't allow it.

I would say its even better looking in real life. Go there and you will find out for yourself.

I just fucking love that country and unfortunately not one single day goes by without me thinking about.

Hopefully I will be able to go there 2013 again.

Curufinwe

Who else has done that trick?

It does seem likely that now there are three movies, each will be closer to two hours long than to three hours long like the LOTR films were.

Loxley

Jackson himself said at Comic-Con that he's not very good at making short movies, I wouldn't be surprised at all if each individual Hobbit's theatrical cut was still 2.5+ hours long in spite of the addition of a third film. Especially because he said that next year they'll do an extra two months of shooting to accommodate for the third movie.

The Hobbit may be a pretty breezy read, but that doesn't mean that Jackson, Walsh and Boyens couldn't find quite a few ways to extend certain chapters/scenes to be longer than they are in the book. Heck, we know from the LotR trilogy that they're certainly not averse to adding scenes that weren't in the book at all. That's on top of adding in stuff from The Appendices. I guess my point is that I wouldn't worry about getting a shorter film just yet (although I agree it's certainly a possibility).

I just want An Unexpected Journey to come out so we can have all our damn questions answered :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom