• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo UK confirms Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for 2017

Ridley327

xenoblade x sold more in US then in japan, no?

I think it was more than twice the number, too.

Amusingly, Tokyo Mirage Sessions sold considerably better in the US than it did in Japan, and that was on a scale of the total US sales being less than 100k from the last time we got any numbers on the matter.

I would really love to see Xenoblade 2 in the west this year, but I'm not sweating it if it misses. I'm sure most of my time this fall will be spent on Super Mario Odyssey as it is.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2? This year? In Europe? I might hold a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles in my hands before 2018? Maybe even under the Christmas Tree?

Dare you, dare you, double dare you, don't make any promises with that shit...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Xenoblade 2 won't make it this year. We've seen so little of it.

Could be said for most Switch titles....just because they arent showing off everything doesnt mean the games cant be ready for launch later this month...this has more to do with the marketing strategy.

monolith =/= atlus
first off I think you mean Nintendo=/= atlus
Beyond which
The companies are different but the principles behind the PR stance and the reasons for doubting it are exactly the same. I won't rule out a 2017 release, especially in Japan, but there's good reason to doubt it and the PR stance is hardly a credible reason to not doubt it, just as it wasn't credible in the case of Persona 5 or numerous other games

Kyzer

Banned
We do have the benefit of the switch having been delayed from its original launch date, they might really have a solid pipeline of games coming. E3 should be fun

tebunker

Banned
We do have the benefit of the switch having been delayed from its original launch date, they might really have a solid pipeline of games coming. E3 should be fun
All rumors and talk pointed to this. What is infuriating is that Nintendo hates talking about stuff more than 90 days or so out. Which is why i think we can see Splat2 by the end of July.

I even forgot we may be getting a smash port along with new amiibo

We've seen so little of almost every Switch game. Guess we ain't getting anything this year besides BOTW.

It's not impossible, but it's not good to blindly believe PR either. We've seen a lot more of most of the announced games. The only one that comes close to the same amount of info is Mario Odyssey, which unlike XB2 has a confirmed release period, and is clearly being held back for E3. It's not impossible that the same couldn't be true for XB2, but one is clearly going to have a LOT more impact at e3 than the other, since Xenoblade is a very niche franchise. And unlike Mario, we've seen no real gameplay footage of Xenoblade. Everything we've seen is largely conceptual and story based.

Oregano

I'm not sure Xenoblade will make it but we're getting the Fire Emblem Remake pretty much simultaneously which no one would have believed a few months ago.

On seeing so little of it comment.

I can definitely say we won't be seeing SMTV anytime soon.

I see Xeno having a big showing E3 treehouse

All rumors and talk pointed to this. What is infuriating is that Nintendo hates talking about stuff more than 90 days or so out. Which is why i think we can see Splat2 by the end of July.

I even forgot we may be getting a smash port along with new amiibo

splatoon 2 will have a playable demo in a few days

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Monolith developed a open world jrpg with XCX faster than most other devs in that space - yeah that was their first HD game as well. XB2 is likely built on the XCX/BotW engine and know how - so they didnt have to start from zero with this one i think it further along than most assume.

I still think Q1/Q2 2018 might be more likely because of the localisation and the possibility of the game being overshadowed during the Holidays.

We have seen as much from Xenoblade 2 as we did from Super Mario Odyssey

This so much

We saw actual gameplay for Odyssey and not just high concept stuff. We also have a far more definitive release window (Which is huge. A game that is just labeled 2017 is far more likely to be delayed than one with an incredibly specific release window like Mario has)

phanphare

Banned
if Xenoblade 2 does hit in 2017 Nintendo will have knocked it out of the fucking park with its first party line up for the Switch

hopefully this pans out

MTC100

Banned
Nintendo UK

Thought it was news worth of a thread.

amazing.gif

You bet that's worth a thread! -Looks like Nintendo got their sh** straight this time, unlike with the WiiU before...

JCX

Xenoblade 2 doesn't seem so crazy when XCX came out April 2015, which means Monolith has probably been working on this for a while. The reveal trailer also seemed pretty far along, so fall 2017 in the west isn't too crazy.

Xenoblade 2 seems to be much further along than X was.
I'm really not sure how you can tell. And regardless, while 2017 is very possible for Japan, a simultaneous launch seems incredibly unlikely given it's a niche game and the costs of simultaneous launch are pretty high. So even if it releases in Japan in 2017, a western release will likely only come months later

Nairume

Banned
Monolith developed a open world jrpg with XCX faster than most other devs in that space - yeah that was their first HD game as well. XB2 is likely built on the XCX/BotW engine and know how - so they didnt have to start from zero with this one i think it further along than most assume.
It's also worth remembering that XBX also had a bunch of network/multiplayer features that would have jacked up the development and QA time.

Why does everyone keep saying that XC2 won't make 2017? The game has likely been in development for quite some time.
There was a pretty big gap between when XBX was announced and when it was released, including a public delay.

That said, again, XBX had a lot of things going against its development that won't apply here.

Malus

Even if they're farther along with Xenoblade than anticipated I remember them delaying DKCTF supposedly just to pad out the early 2014 release schedule. I have a hard time believing they'll sandwich Xenoblade between Splatoon, Mario, and potentially Pokemon Stars and a Smash port. Maybe if nothing gets announced for 2017 at E3.

I'm really not sure how you can tell. And regardless, while 2017 is very possible for Japan, a simultaneous launch seems incredibly unlikely given it's a niche game and the costs of simultaneous launch are pretty high. So even if it releases in Japan in 2017, a western release will likely only come months later
they showed a lot of story stuff (see gamexplain video for that its a lot of stufff they revealed) which they didnt with the initial reveal of xenoblade x
also as i pointed out, the game sold much much better in the west.

Kindekuma

Banned
Since Monolith Soft has a rather large staff and have been done with XCX since early 2015 it makes sense that development for XC2 could be finished and shipped by the end of this year.

A specific release window would be more comforting instead of just "2017", but I'm OK for the fact it might release later in 2018 should that be the case.

Why does everyone keep saying that XC2 won't make 2017? The game has likely been in development for quite some time.

Because all we've seen is a high concept trailer with literally no gameplay? Because a broad "year" target release date is always worrying. Because even if it makes 2017 in Japan, it likely won't be until late in the year and a simultaneous launch is incredibly unlikely?

disco

I don't believe this. I think regional PR is just recycling old news and info. We'll see a delay at e3, at least for Xenoblade.

LordKano

Xenoblade 2 doesn't seem so crazy when XCX came out April 2015, which means Monolith has probably been working on this for a while. The reveal trailer also seemed pretty far along, so fall 2017 in the west isn't too crazy.

I think the only situation where it would be possible is if they've reduced a lot the scope of the game. Because I doubt they could pull another 400km² open-world game, two years after Xeno X.

It would be disappointing to me if it's the case, as I'm more than okay to wait one more year to have another huge game.

Because all we've seen is a high concept trailer with literally no gameplay? Because a broad "year" target release date is always worrying. Because even if it makes 2017 in Japan, it likely won't be until late in the year and a simultaneous launch is incredibly unlikely?

What ? The whole Xenoblade 2 trailer was pure gameplay.

Nightbird

We saw actual gameplay for Odyssey and not just high concept stuff. We also have a far more definitive release window (Which is huge. A game that is just labeled 2017 is far more likely to be delayed than one with an incredibly specific release window like Mario has)

I'm pretty sure there was also Gameplay in the Xenoblade 2 trailer or at least something that looked like Gameplay. (even though without HUD)

Can't argue against the release window thing tho. But i feel like Nintendo is giving the Xenoblade IP much more attention than before.

MTC100

Banned
Nintendo release games years in advance all the time as well.

They pretty much release their games the year they announce it most of the time(see: Super Mario Odyssey for example) -unless they get delayed like Breath of the Wild. If they delay something then for a good reason, like creating a masterpiece for example.

If Nintendo announces a game, then it's very likely to be released within at most a year to come, unless something goes wrong.

they showed a lot of story stuff (see gamexplain video for that its a lot of stufff they revealed) which they didnt with the initial reveal of xenoblade x
also as i pointed out, the game sold much much better in the west.

High concept story plans don't really tell us much about how much of the actual game is done. X's initial trailers lacking much story stuff is also a bad comparison, because by the admission of Monolith soft story was never the focus with X

RPGamer92

Banned
They pretty much release their games the year they announce it most of the time(see: Super Mario Odyssey for example) -unless they get delayed like Breath of the Wild. If they delay something then for a good reason, like creating a masterpiece for example.
Yoshi's Wolly World, Xenoblade X and SMTxFE were revealed in 2013 and didn't come out until 2015/16. Zelda and Star Fox Zero were both revealed a couple years before they came out as well.

Xenoblade X was repeatedly dated for 2014 until it wasn't. Nobody in the international subsidiaries will contradict the official line until they've been given the signal to do so.

Still, it's interesting to look at the psychology behind how Nintendo can slap "2017" on a trailer and absolutely everybody's reaction outside of Japan is "No it's not." This series is more susceptible to that kind of instinctive disbelief than most. It's notorious for being long, heavy on localization, and late to arrive in the west, and not much time has elapsed since XCX, which was released in the west a little over a year ago.

Personally, 2017 would be too soon. I know it's in the interests of the Switch to have a strong and diverse launch year to build the base, but I doubt I would be ready to make room for XC2.

Zalman

I personally believe the game could be ready this year... But is that actually good for the game? People will be playing the Zelda DLC this holiday. That game will dominate the open world conversation throughout the year. If Nintendo can put out Smash Bros. and Pokémon this year, I wouldn't mind it slipping to Q1 2018 at all.

True Fire

Xenoblade 2 is going to be delayed. Can you imagine it competing with Zelda at GOTY awards?

Nintendo needs this in Q1 2018.

Oregano

The characters have names and faces and voice acting which wasn't the case with Xenoblade X. That first teaser was like a vertical slice tech demo.

Top Bottom