• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you let your dog/cat sleep in your bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
If not, why not?
If so, does it ever bother you or keep you up?

My husband and I have 2 cats and we let them sleep in bed with us. Sometimes it can be a hassle, especially if they get up and come back a lot, if they groom themselves in bed, if they hog the bed (they are huge), or if they get on the pillow or in my face and start purring. Even though they wake us up a lot, we still allow them to do it because they like it so much, and we bend to their adorable will (also because if we locked them out they would meow all night).

Back when I had a dog I also let her sleep with me, as did the rest of my family.

I think it's a pretty common thing but I've also met my share of people who are really against it. How does GAF feel?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I love my dogs dearly but that's golden rule.

I have a dog bed next to my bed but no dogs DO NOT sleep on mine. It's more of a alpha role thing. They know its not theirs to sleep in.

Regardless, they actually have it pretty good.

Amikami

Banned
Yeah. My animals follow my bed schedule, literally. Especially my dog. I get in bed, he gets in bed. If I'm up later than usual, he gets in bed anyway. My dog even has his own pillow (he's a small dog, and doesn't take up much space).

He's not bothersome unless he starts to snore, which he does occasionally. But I can drown it out after awhile.

Sometimes, my cat comes and lay square on top of my head. That's always awkward to wake up to. :\

sonicfan

Venerable Member
We used to crate our little dogs, two chihuahuas and a terrier mix. But over time they softened us up. When my wife was out of town for several weeks, I let them sleep with me on our king size bed. Now they expect it. We have a big dog too, 70 pounds, we don't let her on the bed at all, she doesn't think that is fair...

Even though they are small dogs, this still fits...

sleeping-with-your-dog.jpg

Our youngest cat has got herself a routine. Every night she lets me know it's time for bed by jumping on my lap and then onto my shoulders. She stays there until I go upstairs (her still on my shoulders) where she jumps down and waits on my bedside table. Once I'm in bed she jumps over to me, walks up my shoulder, down onto my chest, dribbles a bit (purring insanely) and then simply collapses on my chest in EXACTLY the right spot to headbutt my face out the way so she can use my throat as a pillow. She lasts about 20mins or so before getting up again and either goes back downstairs to crunch biscuits, goes to the end of the bed to fall asleep again, or climbs onto my pillow and falls asleep on my head like some kind of bedtime cat hat.

she's a year old, and been doing this EVERY NIGHT for the past 7 months.

Love her to bits though and find it adorable every time. I think I'd find it weird and uncomfortable if she stopped.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
I don't have any pets but this thread needs pics.

well this is the scene I am usually faced with in the morning... yoshi (red) cuddles up to me on my left, then janosh (brown) gets between us because he wants lovin' from both sides. i left myself out of the pic because, well... morning hair

it's kind of annoying, but also OMG so cute

suzu

Dogs - no. They always smell like dog, which I cannot stand. haha.

Cats - fine with me. They don't really smell like anything and don't sleep anywhere near my head.

Most of the time they don't even bother sleeping on the bed unless it's cold.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
My cats have always been allowed on the bed. Never owned a dog, but I would probably not allow a dog on the bed, but definitely in the bedroom in their own bed.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Nope, not after he started getting the bad habit of chewing every cable he could find. Leave him in the rest of the house while we're sleeping, since most of those cables are easily concealable and would require serious effort on his part to get to.

I was able to have him chill with me for the first few weeks we had him, we even laid in bed and watched almost the entirety of Twin Peaks together. I fear Bob may have somehow manifested inside of my cat.

Amikami

Banned

Nope. Doesn't apply to me and my dog. My dog has his spot, and I've got mine.

"Hey, you're in my spot. Move over."

That's a common request of mine. The great thing is, it's become like an actual trained command. He knows how to stay on his side of the bed and he know what "get over" means.

I have a kitten and its driving me and especially my girlfriend nuts.

It never seems to get tired at night. It's exploring every inch of my room and making as much noise as possible.

When we're trying to sleep it hops on the bed and keeps us awake.

Sometimes I wake up at night and it is sitting beside my girlfriend and staring into her face while she is sleeping (this is creepy and kinda funny)

I don't know what to do. I play with that plushy monster all the time but it seems to never get tired :(

Miles X

IN bed? no, not that they'd want too. All 3 of my cats sleep on top of my bed though and trap me in my duvet.

Sometimes I wake up at night and it is sitting beside my girlfriend and staring into her face while she is sleeping (this is creepy and kinda funny)

Made me lol, I can just imagin that. Cats are so easily fascinated sometimes.

Zoe

Whenever I close the cover to my iPad or the lid on my laptop at night, my cat jumps down from wherever she's sitting and then she runs ahead to the kitchen, stopping every once in a while to make sure I'm following. I'll stir her food a bit, and she eats while I brush my teeth. She's usually waiting for me at the bathroom door by the time I'm finished. Then we get into bed <3

Usually she'll stay in bed the entire night, so she starts to get restless when it's time to wake up. This means she'll come to curl up against my chest, sometimes speaking a bit.

For the most part she's a good girl though, and if we need to move her she'll just shift into a new position without any complaints.

Takao

Banned
I'm okay with my cat sleeping on my bed. But he usually doesn't like sleeping when I do, so he'll start crying to leave my room at like 3AM ... : /

We have a pug, and originally I didn't want it in the bed. After a few months of putting him in his crate overnight, my wife brought him into bed a few times when I stayed up gaming. I didn't bother to bring him to his crate when I came to bed, and just crashed. Soon after, I discovered that waking up with a pug face right next to you on your pillow is one of the best things ever. And he's slept with us ever since. He's weird too, he likes to sleep under the covers, which I don't think many dogs do.

eosos

Banned
Yeah, for sure. My dog gets incredibly upset if I kick him out of bed or move him. Plus he's just a boston terrier.

Hells yeah. My dogs always slept with me on the bed. Nothing better than falling asleep with a puppy :p Ok, sleeping with a baby is pretty good too X)

Amikami

Banned
I have a kitten and its driving me and especially my girlfriend nuts.

It never seems to get tired at night. It's exploring every inch of my room and making as much noise as possible.

When we're trying to sleep it hops on the bed and keeps us awake.

I don't know what to do. I play with that plushy monster all the time but it seems to never get tired :(

It's still a kitten. It has a lot of energy and loves to play. Cat's are naturally nocturnal too. It's not uncommon for your kitten to be like this, but don't worry. If it grows up to be the typical cat, he/she will mellow down with age.

A recent kitten of my brother's was like this. He'd run all over the house jumping on peoples chest and pawing their faces until he woke them up. Then he' try and make you play with him. He never slept. Sometimes he'd find one of his well-hidden jingle balls and wake the entire house. Now he's pretty lax.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me

ahahaha, our cat Yoshi does this... if we don't wake up he will start purring in our faces. Janosh is more the type to just traipse all over you to wake you up.

Janosh is still a kitten but it's weird, when he was very little he always slept through the night in our bed (i was always terrified i'd crush him, heh). Now he usually gets up a few times, but doesn't make too much noise... until 5 am rolls around that is. For some reason every day at 5 am he decides to go batshit now. Really annoying!

Amikami

Banned
We have a pug, and originally I didn't want it in the bed. After a few months of putting him in his crate overnight, my wife brought him into bed a few times when I stayed up gaming. I didn't bother to bring him to his crate when I came to bed, and just crashed. Soon after, I discovered that waking up with a pug face right next to you on your pillow is one of the best things ever. And he's slept with us ever since. He's weird too, he likes to sleep under the covers, which I don't think many dogs do.

Our dogs have a something in common. :)

injurai

Banned
Yes, and my cat usually sleeps in the corner at the foot of my bead. Nights where he tries to sleep in between my legs or in my armpit are rough. That happens more in the winter.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Most of the time if he hears a sound he needs to get up and go investigate. So rarely all night.
But its not like that picture, he has a spot on the bed. We aren't snuggling together.

I used to let my dog sleep in my bed (85 pound boxer lol).
I only had a twin mattress. He would curl up next to my legs and we would still be squished. When I woke up in the mornings my legs would be entirely asleep.
When he got older and his hips started getting bad he would come up and put his chin on the bed and stare at me and I would have to help him up onto the bed.
He isn't around anymore though. I still miss him.

Blair said:
http://www.abload.de/img/phpzrlwgppm4ouqg.jp

Haha

Ultima_5

My dog never wanted to sleep in my bed. He liked the kitchen where the floor was cold. He'd sometimes pop in for a few minutes in the morning though...

For all you guys who let the pets sleep on your bed.... what happens during sexy time? You put them in the hall and shut the door?

FStop7

Banned
I'll never forget the first time I dog-sat my friend's golden retriever. He went out of town for a couple of weeks and I would visit his dog every day and stay over every other night. The first night I stayed over I jumped into the guest bed and the next thing I knew the dog came bounding into the room, jumped into bed with me, and laid down next to me. As in side by side, his head on the pillow immediately next to mine. It was absolutely hilarious. Such an awesome dog.

my two cats sleep on the bed. loaded the bed with pillows since they like curling up on them a lot. sometimes they'll headbutt me and pur for a belly rub in the middle of the night, but besides that they don't bother me much. I sleep sound enough that i don't even notice them coming and going at night.

Oppo

Yeah our dog usually sleeps on our bed.

He's really fucking good at sleeping. Never wakes me up either.

I do notice that he ranks spots on the bed. If he's the only one up there, he's in my spot. If I come up he moves to my wife's usual side. When we're both in bed he sleeps at the foot. I don't have to ask him to move. It's nice in the winter; he pre-warms my spot for me.

Always worried id roll of them and hurt them when im asleep.

Currently dont have any pets but when i do/did I wont let them sleep with me.

Maybe a basket or bed in the same room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom