• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer turns 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

AoM

url]

On March 10, 1997 Buffy the Vampire Slayer aired on the still fledgling WB network. Following the critical failure of the movie, the show was entirely the vision of creator Joss Whedon. Check out the unaired pilot, shot in 1996.

I first watched the show last year and it's definitely one of my favorites. The perfect blend of comedy and drama.

1. Favorite season?
Probably S3 for me. So many strong episodes, and the last high school season. It and S2 are the show at its peak, imo.

2. Favorite episode?
Without a doubt ”The Body" (in addition to being my favorite episode of television).

3. Favorite character?
Either Xander or Cordelia. Both have significant development and are hilarious, heartfelt characters.

For those with Netflix, catch it while you can. Both Buffy and Angel may be leaving next month (hopefully they can keep them).

Also,

Some ongoing podcasts/media to check out for those who have already seen the show:

- Dusted: couple who unfortunately divorced recently (new co-host around roughly halfway through S6); completed five seasons of Buffy and two seasons of Angel; currently going through S6 of Buffy (and have done some of Angel S3).

- Tiny Fences: two friends, one's seen both shows, the other hasn't; currently in S5 of Buffy; also giving mini Angel reviews at the end of their podcasts (and some episodes dedicated entirely to Angel episodes).

- Buffering the Vampire Slayer: couple who have both seen Buffy; create music that encapsulates each episode; currently in S2.

- Passion of the Nerd: YouTube video reviews of Buffy and Angel episodes; currently in S4 of Buffy (and S1 of Angel).

- Big Bad Buffy Interviews: interviews with the cast and crew of the show; so far they've interviewed Kristine Sutherland (Joyce), Marcia Shulman (casting director), David Fury (writer/director), Kristy Swanson (original Buffy), David Solomon (producer/director), Stephen Tobolowsky (principal in the unaired pilot), Doug Petrie (writer/director), and Clinton McClung (arranged screenings of OMWF around the country).

I'll add these (and others anyone knows of) to the OP.

Season 3 would be my favourite and Season 2 would be a close second.

Love this show and there isn't much like it on TV these days.

The Body freaks me out to think about. Especially since my mom died recently.

My personal favourite character would have to be Giles.

As a side note I still hope that Buffy makes her way into Injustice 2. That tease got me really excited.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This makes me feel old and is probably one of the first series I really really got into when I was younger. Really loved the show and still look back on it fondly. I'd say Season 3 or perhaps even 5 was my favorite. I know some people didn't like the turn of events in Season 5 but I thought it was great and should have been where the series ended.

I should watch it on netflix or something.

Was a fan back in the day but it was just never something I rewatched or saw many repeats of.

Saya

Man, I loved this show. And the spin-off show, Angel, might even in my eyes surpassed Buffy... That character became great. It was such a fun time tuning in each week and watching these shows.

I should watch it on netflix or something.

Was a fan back in the day but it was just never something I rewatched or saw many repeats of.

There were a lot of shows that would be completely off my radar back then if I didn't happen to catch some random rerun while it's in syndication. I then would have to watch each episode Monday through Friday to catch up. Box sets were expensive if they existed for your favourite show at all.

Viewt

I tried to get into Buffy once - I watched most of the first season, but it just didn't click. But I liked the Angel character, so I gave his series a spin, and ended up liking that way more.

Sheroking

I tried to get into Buffy once - I watched most of the first season, but it just didn't click. But I liked the Angel character, so I gave his series a spin, and ended up liking that way more.

Yeah.... that's your problem right there.

It's like watching the first season of Parks and Rec and stopping. All the good stuff doesn't happen til Season 2.

Shadybiz

This one just passed me by when it aired.

It's a WB show, huh?

...And it's on Netflix?

.....guys....am I gonna get sucked in??

kinda weird. i watched Spike trying to kill them one episode. i randomly watch another episode seasons later and he's like a good guy in love. that was so confusing back then.

Bold One

Favorite Seaosn, is season 4which I think is the one with Glory...

So much happens it.

I really miss this type of format in TV, instead of 13 episode Netflix specials, we used to get full 20+ with arcs and proper character development.

So much happens it.

I really miss this type of format in TV, instead of 13 episode Netflix specials, we used to get full 20+ with arcs and proper character development.

There are some shows that give you 20+ with arcs. Agents of SHIELD is good for that and it's a
Jed
Whedon show.

I usually recommend that people start with the finale of Season 1 and go into Season 2.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
GAF is partly responsible for getting me into the show(friends also had been telling me for years of its greatness). Forum went utterly apeshit when "Once more with Feeling" aired and that's when I decided to play catch-up. Instantly became one of my favorite shows.

In many ways I find Season 5 probably the strongest of the run, best ratio of quality with the greatest highs, but Season 3 is understandably close.

So much happens it.

Season 5 was Glory.

S4 was Adam and the Initiative(largely one of the more disappointing seasons...but it had Hush and some other classic one-offs)

Shadybiz

lol.

First season is a bit mixed but it's short. The second and third seasons are fantastic. Give it a shot.

haha cool, I think I'll check it out. I know my wife was into it before we started dating; I'm sure she wouldn't mind going back to it!

Lothar

Banned
Season 3
I don't know about individual episodes.
Spike

Make a Buffy movie with SMG already. She's only 39. They're still young. Why don't they do it?

gun_haver

So much happens it.

the one with glory is season 5

also i dunno what this is about a current lack of character development. tv shows currently have more long term arcs than they did in the 90's and more than buffy did, even. buffy had a lot of standalone episodes, some of them you could say are filler/bad/irrelevant to the arcs going on.

and shows with 20+ episode seasons that mix in character development still exist on networks.

yunbuns

My favorite characters are Buffy and Angel. I'm still in the process of watching the show but I feel like the best seasons are going to end up being all of the high school seasons. I'm not really feeling the college episodes as much.

It's a WB show, huh?

...And it's on Netflix?

old-spice-guy-head-nod.gif

Sheroking

It's a WB show, huh?

...And it's on Netflix?

Well... put it this way.

Buffy is probably the most popular choice for best WB show ever, and makes it's way into a lot of best TV ever lists.

It was one of the first WB shows, so it's a bit dated at times, and the first season is ROUGH - but Seasons 2 and 3 are some of the best ever and the show has like 15 episodes of it's 144 episode run that could be included in a top 100 list.

Also, it has a 100+ episode spin-off people like as much. Some like it more.

Haklong

So much happens it.

Season 4 was Adam and that was a blah season. Season 5 is with Glory.

Eidan

Shit, Buffy and Angel are leaving Netflix? They've been on it forever. I'm going to have to watch some of my favorite episodes. Buffy will always have a special place in my heart.

1. Favorite season? Season 2 or 5. Can't decide.

2. Favorite episode? Restless.

3. Favorite character? Probably Giles.

Krowley

Still my favorite show of all time for a million different reasons. Not necessarily the best show of all time, but it's still my favorite anyway. And it was an important show too, very influential.

The two perfect seasons are S3 and S5. Pure television bliss.

I've watched the whole series about 7 times now. I'll probably watch it 7 more times. At least.

edit:

Favorite characters: Buffy, Giles and Spike

Favorite episode: Can't pick one.

Media

My show <3

Favorite season was season 5. Favorite character was Spike. Favorite episode was once more with feeling. I love the entire series even season 7.

Buffy was the reason I realized humans are incapable of reaching some sort of ideal solution to anything.

How? I got into online fandom, talking about episodes, analyzing, all that stuff, and even with exactly the same info, people would reach vastly different conclusions.

1. Favorite season?
S2 or S3 for me.

2. Favorite episode?
Once more with feeling (even though it happens in one of my most disliked seasons).

3. Favorite character?
Probably Buffy. Although I must admit I find pretty much all of Buffy's characters a bit problematic as "people"...

Bold One

There are some shows that give you 20+ with arcs. Agents of SHIELD is good for that and it's a
Jed
Whedon show.

the one with glory is season 5

also i dunno what this is about a current lack of character development. tv shows currently have more long term arcs than they did in the 90's and more than buffy did, even. buffy had a lot of standalone episodes, some of them you could say are filler/bad/irrelevant to the arcs going on.

and shows with 20+ episode seasons that mix in character development still exist on networks.

Season 4 was Adam and that was a blah season. Season 5 is with Glory.

My bad, season 5 then, such a great season, Tara and Willow,
Buffy's mum
, the crazy people, the key Spike's turn, that finale - I watched that when it aired.

And yeah, I kinda dug Glory

I usually recommend that people start with the finale of Season 1 and go into Season 2.

The only reason I disagree with this is I feel by watching the first season you get familiar with the characters so that by the time you hit Season 2, you're at a running start rather than trying to figure things out and catch up.

Krowley

Season one is a very primitive "proof of concept" season. It only vaguely shadows what the show will eventually become, but it still has some fun episodes. I generally don't skip it on my rewatches. Sometimes I skip certain episodes, like the one with the dummy.

"What's this? Sittin' around watching the telly while there's evil still afoot? It's not very industrious of you. I say we go out there and kick a little demon ass! What? Can't go without your Buffy, is that it? Too chicken? Let's find her. She is the chosen one, after all. Come on! Vampires! Grrr! Nasty! Let's annihilate them, for justice, and for... the safety of puppies... and Christmas, right? Let's fight that evil! Let's kill something! Oh, come on!"

Yeah, Spike. The run of episodes in S4 where he has to live with Giles and Xander are my favorite. He becomes a proto-Roger Smith in some ways.

Carcetti

Favorite Season: S2 or S3, can't decide
Favorite episode: the musical
Favorite character: Spike
My spirit animal: Anya

Media

i got to give it a watch then.

Season one is very rough and hokey due to the time era and budget. Get through it. It will be well worth the ride. Season 2 is some of the best television I have ever seen. Season 5 itself is my all-time favorite television season.

Also the episode called once more with feeling in season 6 pretty much ended the trend of musical episodes of television shows because it was so amazing it couldn't be topped.

Sheroking

Season one is a very primitive "proof of concept" season. It only vaguely shadows what the show will eventually become, but it still has some fun episodes. I generally don't skip it on my rewatches. Sometimes I skip certain episodes, like the one with the dummy.

Yeah, I think anyone watching the show SHOULD watch it, just with the knowledge that it gets better.

Aside from being super-early in the WBs life, with no budget and a soundtrack straight out of the cheesiest horror film, it has it's moments.

6iVpJ35.gif

Media

Yeah, I think anyone watching the show SHOULD watch it, just with the knowledge that it gets better.

Aside from being super-early in the WBs life, with no budget and a soundtrack straight out of the cheesiest horror film, it has it's moments.

6iVpJ35.gif

And then five seasons later we have amazing gems like this: (spoilers obviously, once more with feeling)
https://youtu.be/FPRu5vaAQYQ

Clessidor

One of the best TV shows in TV history. Hard to answer the what are my favorites about it. Love allmost all of it.

But I would favorite season would be season 6. It was kinda refreshing for the show to focus more on internal conflict than on a threatening Big Bad. I guess it's why the Musical turn out so well, because one of the biggest strengths of Musicals is that's easier for characters to speak out their feelings and internal conflicts.

My favorite episode on the other hand is clearly "Body". It's truely the best way in television to express the experience with sudden death. "Once more with Feeling" and "Hush" would share the second place for me.

And favorite character is too hard. I just learn to love all of them and enjoyed their character development. Impossible to give a concrete answer.

ionitron

Season 2 was the good kind of drama, probably my favorite. 3 was also incredible. The rest... meandered. I never finished the show, season 4 was okay and 5 was incredible whatever to me, took a lot to finish it. Never made it past a couple episodes of 6.

But it's totally deserving of still being remembered today. Great show. I LOVED angel, though, although season 4 was some of the worst stuff I've ever seen.

But if it's getting taken off Netflix, I really need to finish it ASAP.

Manu

Buffy and Angel are my all-time favorite series.

1. Favorite season?
S5

2. Favorite episode?
I can't pick just one. But The Body is up there for sure.

3. Favorite character?
Wesley, but only after he goes to Angel. Otherwise it's Spike.

Twenty years later, I've still yet to see an American live action television series to hook me in like Buffy. I think it's safe to say it's just not going to happen again for me. Modern television owes a lot to Buffy, Whedon, and the entire crew of writers who worked on it. Still my GOAT.

1. Favorite season?

Seasons 2, 3, and 5 are the strongest. But season 4 does have a lot of my favourite stand alone episodes.

2. Favorite episode?

Oh man, too many to list 'em all. Surprise, Innocent, Becoming Parts 1 & 2, The Prom, Something Blue, Hush, Fool For Love, Once More, With Feeling, Tabula Rasa, Grave, and Chosen are just a few.

3. Favorite character?

Buffy, Spike, Willow, and Giles. Rewatching the show a few times in the last few years since I finally bought the DVD box set cemented these four as THE FOUR for me.

I tried to get into Buffy once - I watched most of the first season, but it just didn't click. But I liked the Angel character, so I gave his series a spin, and ended up liking that way more.[/QUOTE]"]Passion of the Nerd made a video just for you! In short, you only need to watch a handful of episodes from season 1: Welcome to the Hellmouth, The Harvest, Angel, and Prophecy Girl.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I remember after-school TV on BBC2 being the holy trifecta of The Simpsons/Fresh Prince/Buffy. They don't make shows like them anymore :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Buffy and Angel are my all-time favorite series.

1. Favorite season?
S5

2. Favorite episode?
I can't pick just one. But The Body is up there for sure.

3. Favorite character?
Wesley, but only after he goes to Angel. Otherwise it's Spike.

I agree with pretty much all of this, especially the bolded. Although I'm not sure if The Body is really my favorite episode, I just appreciate it for sort of existing and actually being well executed instead of shlocky. The decision to have no soundtrack/music was really effective and inspired.

Hush is probably my all around favorite episode. Pretty funny that one of the best eps of the series is in what is widely considered the worst season. The best episode in the Buffyverse overall though is Hole in the World/Shells (I'm counting it as one episode cuz fuck you).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom