• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Apollon) |OT| Jazz was always there between us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalnos

Banned
Pretty cool that they're going to display some pre-existing Jazz and references instead of it being entirely original work musically. I wasn't blown away completely but I'm definitely going to keep watching.

EDIT: Though I guess I could have figured that out by reading the OT and looking at the tracks.

duckroll

Wow, the pacing for the first episode was -really- good. They didn't waste a single second and covered A LOT of characterization and scenes in the episode. Really, really digging it. Watanabe :bow etc.

Aeana

I really liked the first episode. Sentaro is amazing, and the first song played on the piano is my favorite song of all time, so it's like they were trying directly to gain my interest.

duckroll

I really like the dialects in the show too. It's a pretty carefully detailed production. Everything feels really "right" in general. Especially the playing of the instruments. Great stuff.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh damn I'm super tempted to order Crunchyroll now.

I need to watch all of Bleach by April 5th, too, so this is a perfect opportunity.

Ezalc

The only thing that bums me out is that there might not be sexy sax in this anime. Which is a crime since saxophones are awesome. Still looking forward to DATJAZZ allovermyface.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I guess my worry with this show is that it's an adaptation. Worse yet, an adaptation of an ongoing series! It almost seems "beneath" Watanabe, when all of his other shows were created from scratch. Can we really get a satisfying and conclusive arc when the story being adapted isn't actually finished?

duckroll

I guess my worry with this show is that it's an adaptation. Worse yet, an adaptation of an ongoing series! It almost seems "beneath" Watanabe, when all of his other shows were created from scratch. Can we really get a satisfying and conclusive arc when the story being adapted isn't actually finished?

It's not ongoing. The series has ended. They are adapting NINE volumes of manga into 12 episodes, so it's not a direct adaptation at all. Watanabe has already played around with pacing and developments a lot in the first episode. I would say it's in very good hands.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

The first episode already changed a number of stuff from the early chapters, and it's not ongoing, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Mumei

I recognized Moanin', though that's entirely because it was a duet on the last season of American Idol. <_<

Anyway, it was a great first episode. I had read the first chapter or two of the manga so much of it was stuff I'd already known, though, so I'm looking forward to next week more.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Awesome start - love all three characters already and Sentaro reminds me of my younger brother too much. God damn tease with Moanin' though, was hoping they would play the whole thing but I guess that is what next week's episode is for.

Would kill to hear a track from Kind of Blue, even if it was BGM. Worlds colliding and all.

Clair de Lune was a pleasant surprise.

XenoRaven

Assuming you're serious it's a streaming service that costs $5 a month and gives you access to tons of legally streaming anime with subs. 1080p quality for this series, also.

www.crunchyroll.com
Oh. With subs? Is there some sort of archive I can watch since apparently this show airs while I'm at work or do I have to be there when it's on?

Kalnos

Banned
Oh. With subs? Is there some sort of archive I can watch since apparently this show airs while I'm at work or do I have to be there when it's on?

It's not a livestreaming service so you can watch it whenever you please. Some people take offense to their subs but I think they're fine.

Kalnos

Banned
I forgot to mention Xeno that lots (all?) of shows air for free in SD on Crunchyroll one week after their airing in Japan. So episode one would go up one week from today for free for non-subscribers for example.

Go_Ly_Dow

Copy/Pasta:

Kids on the Slope

n4oLX.gif

That hit all the right notes. Great start.

Also one of the best OP's I've ever seen.

XenoRaven

I forgot to mention Xeno that lots (all?) of shows air for free in SD on Crunchyroll one week after their airing in Japan. So episode one would go up one week from today for free for non-subscribers for example.
Awesome. I can't believe I didn't know this existed.

Branduil

Wow, the pacing for the first episode was -really- good. They didn't waste a single second and covered A LOT of characterization and scenes in the episode. Really, really digging it. Watanabe :bow etc.

Yeah, you would never know this is a condensed adaptation just from watching that episode. A lot of stuff happened, but the writing and direction is just so smooth and effortless that everything felt completely natural.

Awesome start - love all three characters already and Sentaro reminds me of my younger brother too much. God damn tease with Moanin' though, was hoping they would play the whole thing but I guess that is what next week's episode is for.

Would kill to hear a track from Kind of Blue, even if it was BGM. Worlds colliding and all.

Clair de Lune was a pleasant surprise.

Freddie Freeloader yeeeeaaaaaa boooiiii

Also, seems like Crunchyroll is running a free 2 week trial. I will be partaking in this while I'm at work :D

Glad to see the Watanabe magic is in effect from all these posts. I'm always stunned by how much story and development his shows can pack into a scant 23 minutes

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It's not ongoing. The series has ended. They are adapting NINE volumes of manga into 12 episodes, so it's not a direct adaptation at all. Watanabe has already played around with pacing and developments a lot in the first episode. I would say it's in very good hands.

The first episode already changed a number of stuff from the early chapters, and it's not ongoing, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Oh, it's done? Well that's good to know. I looked on Wikipedia and it said 8 volumes ongoing, guess that's just out of date.

And yeah obviously things will be reworked, I was just afraid of there being some SURPRISE CONCLUSION that only the author knew that wasn't yet written down and they'd have to bullshit something but yes okay I feel better now.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
I'm thinking about signing up for Crunchyroll to watch this. Looks like there's a 14 day trial, so I'll at least do that. Is there anything else worth watching on the service for someone who's put off by most modern anime but loved stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Berserk, Paranoia Agent, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Shamploo?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm thinking about signing up for Crunchyroll to watch this. Looks like there's a 14 day trial, so I'll at least do that. Is there anything else worth watching on the service for someone who's put off by most modern anime but loved stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Berserk, Paranoia Agent, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Shamploo?

Crunchyroll has a very big library of shows, so you might be best off just by browsing through and trying different stuff out.

Try Fate/Zero. If you liked the more character drama focused parts of those shows and not just the action (and the premise of Kids on the Slope appeals to you) you should also check out Wandering Son and Usagi drop.

Branduil

One thing that was interesting in the first episode was that there wasn't a lot of music outside of the in-story performances. I wonder if that's something that's going to change alongside Kaoru's viewpoint, as he emerges from his confined inner world.

Instro

Yeah, you would never know this is a condensed adaptation just from watching that episode. A lot of stuff happened, but the writing and direction is just so smooth and effortless that everything felt completely natural.

That's a really apt way to describe the episode. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Anyway, that was a pretty brilliant first episode. Even without having read any of the manga you can tell they got through a lot of material, yet at the same time nothing felt rushed, thus allowing the audience to get a solid grasp of the characters. Also I really loved that opening scene, the camera isn't focused on the main character as he is walking up the hill meanwhile there is movement in the foreground and background that makes him blend in with crowd. Very cool. I'm also impressed by the...I guess the right word would be "authenticity" of the instruments. The touching of a few keys on a piano, the different sounds of the drums, etc; the animation and visuals really line up well with what is being played.

Also, definitely the best OP of the season, at least so far. The music+visual direction was outstanding. Hyouka might give it a run for its money, considering KyoAni's knack for awesome OP/ED's

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Q8Iny.gif

Swag

Eh, I've liked several other OP's from this season better, it's still a very good one though, to be sure.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Try Fate/Zero. If you liked the more character drama focused parts of those shows and not just the action (and the premise of Kids on the Slope appeals to you) you should also check out Wandering Son and Usagi drop.

Thanks, I'll look into those. And yeah, action isn't particularly important to me, though I do like the epic scope of some of those I mentioned. I just can't stand the modern moe stuff.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Thanks, I'll look into those. And yeah, action isn't particularly important to me, though I do like the epic scope of some of those I mentioned. I just can't stand the modern moe stuff.
Modern moe isn't as prevalent as it seems. There's been a lot of good stuff airing for the past all years.

BluWacky

"This melody seems like love", as the show's OP says.

I'm so embarrassed. I'm such a weirdo. I cried while watching this.

I have been so excited about Kids on the Slope since it was announced and it totally lived up to all my expectations. It's just beautiful. Is it money or just love that made this work so well?

I don't think there's much I can add that hasn't already been discussed but this was great and I have already watched it twice. Now I have to wait until next week which is sad, but at least there are lots of other awesome shows airing on Thursdays this season!

Grzi

This was really really good, no surprises here.

But now I'm hyped for Eureka Seven based on duckroll's impressions.

Jarmel

Banned
There's a guy playing a trumpet in the OP...

So good. I've always been a fan of brass instruments.

Whole episode was a lot better than I expected. Really really liking it so far. The character chemistry is extremely good. Also not as bothered by some of the character designs as much as I thought I would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom