• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

oneils

Is there any points in scanning planets? Is it only good if there happen to be an anomaly on one of them?
I just went to a random system, found some anomaly in a circle of asteroids, but that was it. The rest of the system was just non-landable planets that you could scan for no reason.

I think you get materials for crafting and that's how you upgrade weapons. You can get the materials on the planets too.

Chris_C

Has the game unlocked on PC Origin? I preordered, played the trial for 9 hours and my "Play" button is greyed out...

npvYqNl.jpg

valkyre

Is exploration worthwhile? Seems that people give conflicting reporte over the exploration thing. Others say there isnt much to explore except doing the quests, others claim otherwise.

My real question is, are there things to discover, surprises, landmarks, towns etc etc? Or is it just barren landscapes with the occasional enemy outpost? Also are the planets interesting enough and do they offer variety of locals?

Exploration is extremely important to me. If this aspect is worthwhile i am willing to give the game a chance.

One final question if i may, is Nexus conciderably large or is it the usual 4 small sections / corridors etc like in previous games?

Thanks

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I know not everybody like the flying & zooming in happening when selecting a planet on the galaxy map, but I kinda like it as someone who just love space and seeing the pretty views, on top of the relaxing galaxy map music.

Not everyone cup of tea I know, but still.

Madness

Is exploration worthwhile? Seems that people give conflicting reporte over the exploration thing. Others say there isnt much to explore except doing the quests, others claim otherwise.

My real question is, are there things to discover, surprises, landmarks, towns etc etc? Or is it just barren landscapes with the occasional enemy outpost? Also are the planets interesting enough and do they offer variety of locals?

Exploration is extremely important to me. If this aspect is worthwhile i am willing to give the game a chance.

One final question if i may, is Nexus conciderably large or is it the usual 4 small sections / corridors etc like in previous games?

Thanks

Exploration is reminiscent of ME1. It has more things to see. But it isn't as great as you would think. Sometimes it is fun, other times it isn't. It does feel pretty great though when you get to specific places without spoiling. There are things hidden for those into lore or exploration. It is better than the previous mass effects. How does that sound? Keep in mind exploration in previous games started to be non existent and was more linear.

The Nexus, as you upgrade does get bigger without spoiling. Keep in mind you also have outposts. Without spoiling. Naturally it doesn't recapure the feeling of first seeing the Citadel in ME1. But it can be large for sure.

valkyre

Exploration is reminiscent of ME1. It has more things to see. But it isn't as great as you would think. Sometimes it is fun, other times it isn't. It does feel pretty great though when you get to specific places without spoiling. There are things hidden for those into lore or exploration. It is better than the previous mass effects. How does that sound? Keep in mind exploration in previous games started to be non existent and was more linear.

The Nexus, as you upgrade does get bigger without spoiling. Keep in mind you also have outposts. Without spoiling. Naturally it doesn't recapure the feeling of first seeing the Citadel in ME1. But it can be large for sure.

Thanks for this. Sounds good to me. So the planets arent just barren wastelands where you hope onto your vehicle and drive across vast distances of nothingness just mining your way to the next enemy outpost, right? I mean there is actual interesting level design in there.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
How do I switch the driver profile? I'm running ultra wide and been a bit unhappy with fps.

You download a program called nVidia Inspector. Once you have it running, you click on the tools icon next to where it says Driver Version. You then select Mass Effect Andromeda from the profile list. Once that is done, you click on "setting value" for SLI compatibility bits (dx11), chose the one that lists the last 4 Battlefield games, and hit apply changes. Done :)

RoKKeR

Made my Ryder today (Asian female looks great... thanks to that other thread) and played less than an hour. Some jank and cheese here and there, but I'm happy to be playing Mass Effect again.

Should I pre-order before it unlocks tonight for the bonuses? Is there anything worthwhile in there?

Vamphuntr

I have all the characters. The game throws them at you really quickly. Made it to the second open world and the game wastes no time at being DAI. Quest markers and stuff all over the map.

pahamrick

So do we have to redeem the Andromeda Initiative helmet from watching those briefing videos or is that tied via the EA/PSN/XBL account?

Should be tied to your origin account, once you login to the game it should appear where the DLC items appear. (In your cabin once you gain control of the Tempest)

Made my Ryder today (Asian female looks great... thanks to that other thread) and played less than an hour. Some jank and cheese here and there, but I'm happy to be playing Mass Effect again.

Should I pre-order before it unlocks tonight for the bonuses? Is there anything worthwhile in there?

There's some weapons, one of which is apparently pretty powerful for the opening hours of the game, some armor pieces (I think it increases exp gain) an extra casual outfit, and a pet pyjack, along with a multiplayer item crate. YMMV on if you think they're worth it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just got back from the local GameStop with my copy.

Surprising number of people in line, i counted 24+ people and more coming in for ME by the time my turn came up.

Trickster

Anyone playing on hard? I'm trying, but it feels too hard? Like, the cheap kind, enemies just take so much punishment, and they hit crazy hard. I can hardly peak out of cover long enough to kill a normal grunt before my shield is gone

Hmmm. Played for quite a bit today. I gotta say I'm pleased, but not amazed. Game is very solid, with issues to dialogue and animation. Side missions are standard rpg fare for the most part. Nothing as mmoish as inquisition, but not too far off. They at the least tend to have a story to these side missions at least.

I don't know how to feel about the game as a whole, will wait for final thoughts. I think my biggest disappointment so far is how little characters you bring with you have to say about your missions.

Point was more, if you can give BotW perfect scores for everything by a lot of reviewers. And I have spent almost 50 hours+ with botw and done everything. If you can feel the game and it's writing and sidequests are essentislly perfect, how Andromeda is getting 6/10 reviews I don't know. Yes some of the sidequests and missions aren't the best, and some writing is awkward at times. But in my opinion, the game is pretty good so far. I want to keep playing and learning more etc. It does have its shortcomings.

I can feel you, I'm excited to play the game and expect to enjoy the hell out of it. But you have to step back a bit from the scores and this comparison. What gave Zelda those scores were very clear in the reviews and none of it had to do with writing or story. This game being better in both those aspects to you, does not invalidate Zelda or MEAs scores by their respective reviewers which were likely different across outlets. Also, step away from 10 = perfect game thinking. This isn't a math test where there are right or wrong answers and thus a perfect score is possible. It's a video game and a perfect score in this industry is a sign of recommendation and critical appraisal, not its inherent quality.

Zesh

Anyone playing on hard? I'm trying, but it feels too hard? Like, the cheap kind, enemies just take so much punishment, and they hit crazy hard. I can hardly peak out of cover long enough to kill a normal grunt before my shield is gone
It gets easier as you level up and upgrade your abilities.

Milennia

downloading patch now, there were quite a few old school mass effect fans at my gamestop for this i was surprised to see so many ppl, midnights havent been very popular recently by me

Madness

Thanks for this. Sounds good to me. So the planets arent just barren wastelands where you hope onto your vehicle and drive across vast distances of nothingness just mining your way to the next enemy outpost, right? I mean there is actual interesting level design in there.

They are wastelands until...

There is some level design at parts. But think of it sort of like Destiny meets Mad Max. I can honestly understand what you are asking here and I feel ultimately you will be disappointed. But it is something.

RoKKeR

Funny seeing the midnight launch talk in here... the last midnight launch I went (and will ever go) to was for ME3. Man, a lot has changed since then!

Anyone else finding the amount of dialogue for characters you gain at a time a bit disappointing? I don't know if I'm coming back way more often to try and talk with them again, but so often there's nothing new added

Um, wow. Put me in the minority, but I'm really enjoying this so far.

I'm not far at all, but the poor animation/writing complaints seem a tad overblown so far. Granted, it's not great, and there's certainly some jank here and there, but it's fairly easy to look past.

I'm liking male Ryder more than I thought I would. He sounds just like Nathan Drake, but it works for him. The voice work has been decent, overall. Nothing offensive.

Game is a looker, especially some of these environments. Really neat stuff to look at.

Honestly? And I'm still early, but - if you're a fan of Mass Effect, you'll enjoy this game. I'm really excited to dig into it some more.

Jaraghan

Is anyone else sticking with default Ryder? I tried customizing my Ryder, but I scrapped him because I wasn't happy with him. I'm sticking with default Ryders for my first playthrough.

sangreal

Is anyone else sticking with default Ryder? I tried customizing my Ryder, but I scrapped him because I wasn't happy with him. I'm sticking with default Ryders for my first playthrough.

I did, but I regret it now seeing some of the ones people have come up with. I changed his sister to one of the other presets though

I am, no complaints after my time with the trial.

I also plan to do a default fem-ryder playthrough after.

Madness

Always default for first playthrough. I didn't default my first ME1 playthrough 10 years ago, but went default after that.

Top Bottom