• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's actual quietness

Eria

There is no need to talk for the sake of talking, which is what Spencer has been doing in recent years.

They are doing what everybody should be doing, letting the games and the hardware do the talking. Just shut up and deliver.

Drencrom

There is no need to talk for the sake of talking, which is what Spencer has been doing in recent years.

They are doing what everybody should be doing, letting the games and the hardware do the talking. Just shut up and deliver.

Yup.

E3 is around 40 days away too, patience.

nero2082

they'll drop bombs when it matters, hoping for PSVR wave 2, they're in the driving seat, steady flow of releases throughout the year is pretty much guaranteed already - Horizon -> Crash Bandicoot -> RDR2/Destiny2 -> something from Sony in Q3/Q4

I think the whole thing will focus on God of War though because they're teasing it on social media (fb especially) quite a lot

They have to fill 3 (or 4) events in the year, I expect them to not talk much. In the other hand MS needs to get back to the people and their constant communication strategy is a good way to do it.

Yeh I really have trouble finding games to play because I can't change my PSN name.

All my friends will laugh at me if they see me playing online because of my PSN name. It ruins my self esteem :( . Therefore I just play nothing at all.
I've had my name for so long now and my friends all have shortened it to another nickname, I can't think of another to replace it.

XtremeDudexxx68 is here to stay.

StereoVsn

May - LocoRoco Remastered/ Farpoint
June - WipeOut Omega Collection/ Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
July - Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
August - Everybody's Golf/ Yakuza Kiwami/ Uncharted The Lost Legacy
September - Destiny 2 (Marketing)
October - ?
November - Call of Duty WW2/ Star Wars Battlefront II (Marketing)
December - ?

They could actually coast off what's already been announced, though this might give us an idea of when Knack 2 & Gran Turismo Sport may be releasing.
There is also Guilty Gear Xrd Relevator 2 getting released soon. This is overall a decent number of games for a quiet period before September and up madness starts.

DieH@rd

Banned
Speak softly and cary a big stick.

gMrnMRR.jpg

they'll drop bombs when it matters

Exactly. I'm very much expecting a PS4 Pro Slim announcement at E3, launching alongside Scorpio for either $299 or $349, depending on how Microsoft price their console. And naturally a price cut for the normal PS4 Slim. They've already got the games lineup nailed this year, so it's just hardware that needs the trump card now. Price is the only way to go on that one against Scorpio's power.

*Nintendo says relatively little* - "They have nothing!!!! Nintendoomed!!!"

*Sony says the square root of nothing* - "Pfft, who needs communication?"

Never change, GAF.

Yeah, because they're totally in the same spot right now, aren't they?

Ryuuga

Banned
Spencer's been talking about a whole bunch of nothing. Yoshida's been like "here's a bunch of critically acclaimed exclusives for you to play, right now".

I like the latter approach.

Yoshida doesn't say a thing and just places each game on table without breaking eye contact with you.

AtkO

Is it just me or things have been very quiet recently on Sony's side ? I mean since PSX, they have been radio silent while MS with Spencer have been very active in gaming medias.

Is it a Calm before Storm situation we are witnessing or are they a bit overconfident with their actual position in the market ?

They let the games speak for themselves, and there has been a shit ton of them.

Those "I'm concerned" threads based on nothing but personal bias are so frustrating because they keep happening.

Anung

Un Rama
What is there to be said? PS4's are selling hand over fist, E3 is in a few weeks and they've consistently had the best games of 2017 over the last few months. The games are speaking for themselves.

Phil needs to speak because there's not a lot of faith going forward and they have a new machine to hype up.

Kaydan

Banned
It's always been like this. Microsoft is an American company that is a lot more accessible to American media. Sony is a Japanese company based on the other side of the globe. When they do talk, its usually in a more formal way then what we've been hearing from Spencer the past few weeks.

Also I don't think they have someone with the same kind of charisma as Spencer to do these type of interview.

Exactly. I'm very much expecting a PS4 Pro Slim announcement at E3, launching alongside Scorpio for either $299 or $349, depending on how Microsoft price their console. And naturally a price cut for the normal PS4 Slim. They've already got the games lineup nailed this year, so it's just hardware that needs the trump card now. Price is the only way to go on that one against Scorpio's power.

I'd be shocked if they announced a hardware revision less than 1 year after the original released.

Usobuko

Banned
Sony early 2017 games > rest of 2017

Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Autonata
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Persona 5
Digimon Next Order
Tales of Berseria
Hatsune Miku Project DIVA
Horizon: ZD
MLB The Show (for the Muricans otherwise irrelevant :p)

What else am i missing

The Ubisoft multiplat games also serve the mainstream audience too. The biggest opening for Ghost Recon series for example, iirc.

Avatar aside, don't you think there's a reason people are saying that about Sony? But keep thinking everyone is a PS fanboy who hates Nintendo over here and let's ignore all the praise for the Switch and countless threads on the frontpage :p

Seriously. It seems "Cerium" (whoever they are) creates at least several Switch threads a day. Got damn. I mean, I love the concept of the Switch and plan to get one down the road, but at this point I'm waiting for the "Does the Switch make your pets happy?" thread.

On topic though: what does Sony have to talk about? They have the GAF 2015 Game of the Year with Bloodborne, everybody and their moms' 2016 Game of the Year with Uncharted 4, and just had a Q1 2017 that's very damn close to that "Fall of 2001 exclusives" picture for the PlayStation 2 in terms of quantity AND quality.

Nothing to say, just keep putting out the awesome games.

Sony is always quiet during the months leading up to E3. People thought Sony had little to nothing to show at last years E3 due to lack of leaks and being so quiet, and it ended up being one of their best shows.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sony is always quiet during the months leading up to E3. People thought Sony had little to nothing to show at last years E3 due to lack of leaks and being so quiet, and it ended up being one of their best shows.

Yup, pre-E3 period was quiet last year, but in the last week there were some news blow-outs for already announced games.

Last year up til now has been kind of crazy. But have you already forgotten the earlier PS4 years? Lots of talk, lots of videos, lots of waiting on 1st party games. :p After the launch window period they weren't really delivering until last year when the AAA games started to appear.

That is the usual for Sony truth be told .
First year and half of a new system is be okay and then they really get going .

That is the usual for Sony truth be told .
First year and half of a new system is be okay and then they really get going .

I'm fine with whatever approach Sony wants to take, as long as they keep dropping bombs.

I'm fine with whatever approach Nintendo wants to take, as long as they keep dropping bombs.

I'm fine with whatever approach... Wait a minute, where the hell are the Microsoft bombs???

Yeeeah, in my opinion, they don't have to say anything. The games in just early 2017 are more than enough for me. Games like RDR2 and Spider-Man releasing this year will probably make me faint.

It's only suspicious if there is something wrong that needs to be addressed. Far as I can see there isn't anything majorly wrong at the moment with PS4 so....

There are people on Gaf that want Spencer to talk more?

I see a fucking "Phil Spencer thinks/would love XY" thread at least once a week.
During the months of January, February, and March I kept seeing people say something along the lines of, "All these Sony exclusives, why is Spencer not reacting towards this? Why is he keeping us in the dark? What's the next move Spencer?" And I'm just sitting here going "Yeah Spencer, what is the next move?" As someone that used an Xbox as their primary console I need this man to talk. Hell yeah I'm invested. I need this man to talk about the future. He can't be quiet. I'd be worried if he was. He is the face of Xbox. The only face at Xbox.

pswii60

Overconfident bordering on arrogant.
Arrogance doesn't lead to a release like Gravity Rush 2 in 2017 (or the non-cancellation of TLG for that matter). PS4 is bordering on being my favourite console of all time.. the best console of all time. The diversity of games between retail and PSN is insane. The exclusives are also diverse and sublime. The only thing it's still missing is that one big massive huge 98/99 Metacritic killer app.. but I think it'll come.

Top Bottom