• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Assassin's Creed Empire details?

Stranya

I can't wait for this. I love Ubisoft, I love AC, and I love the ancient Egyptian period/setting. This post is 110% enthusiasm.

Hexa

That's your mistake. Your argument doesn't make sense

Black Flag had open/empty space
Empire is 3x as large
You conclude Empire will have 3x as much open/empty space

When multiple cities, more towns and settlements, ruins/temples/pyramids/etc. are just as likely and probable

I don't think creating cities or architecture large enough to cover 3x Black Flag is feasible. The size of Black Flag was only possible because of the empty space. Try to do that with cities and its going to get really expensive. They could use procedural generation, but for stuff like cities in AC, that would probably be even worse than empty space. Hell, even disregarding costs, having urban areas that big sounds like a pain in the ass to play through. Lastly, I don't see how the geography for that works out. Where would this map go? Take any 750km^2 block and I still think you'll get mostly empty space.

RdN

Damn, those images are incredible. Thanks for sharing.

I admit that my Egypt knowledge is lacking, to said the least.

But even so, I'm interested how they'll handle travelling in such a huge map.

UrbanRats

And thats why I hate it so much. The entire game is based on fire and forget mechanics. There is no sense of progress or flow as you move through the world. Every activity is meaningless and feels solely there to exist as content.

Even though the side missions have cutscenes, they are all incredibly restrictive, forcing the player to stick to a script, and any deviation from it = failure.

To me, GTAV is a thesis on everything wrong with open world games. Just a big world, with meaningless junk to do.

Say what you will about ubi games, but at least their activities have some form of meaningful movement of progression for the player. What do you get in GTA? Just money so you can buy a fucking car or a gun but the piss easy shooting mechanics make different guns straight up pointless.
I agree with the bolded, but how is it "meaningless"? Again, "meaningless" and "filler" are really starting to become buzzwords.
The reason why you do, say, a race in GTAV, it's because driving is fun, and driving in a race is more fun.
By that metric there is no meaning in anything you do in any game, if the reward is the activity itself.

I don't think creating cities or architecture large enough to cover 3x Black Flag is feasible. The size of Black Flag was only possible because of the empty space. Try to do that with cities and its going to get really expensive. They could use procedural generation, but for stuff like cities in AC, that would probably be even worse than empty space. Hell, even disregarding costs, having urban areas that big sounds like a pain in the ass to play through. Lastly, I don't see how the geography for that works out. Where would this map go? Take any 750km^2 block and I still think you'll get mostly empty space.

Again, works well enough for Zelda.
Big map, plenty of empty space, but it works perfectly well.

As long as they design traversal intelligently, and space out things with a decent logic.

- The world is over three times larger than that of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag.
LMncrc0h0.gif

RedSwirl

If it's Ancient Egypt, what time period of Ancient Egypt should it be? Just saying "Ancient Egypt" encompasses a period of some 3000 years if you count from unification to Cleopatra.

Cleopatra era is probably the first suggestion that would come up. The name "Empire" could suggest Rome as well as Egypt, specifically the late Roman Republi/early Roman Empire when Rome started being an empire and Egypt ceased to be one. Would Seti I-Rameses II make sense? The "former slave" rumor maybe suggests the main character might be Kushite, but that's just a guess. Knowing Ubisoft they'd want to work in Imhotep somehow and I could see that being some kind of side quest where you track down ancient artifacts he left behind (there's like a 2500 year gap between Imhotep and Cleopatra).

Any other ideas?

Run-M-Run

Jesper Kyd please!! It'd be glorious to have him on board for this as it's already sounding really amazing.

People have no imagination lol, imagine travelling through the desert and seeing the pyramids and cities forming in the distance, coupled with a day and night mechanic, arriving at Giza as the sun is dawning. I can imagine it being pretty majestic.

So much this.

"Being made by the Black Flag Team"

Sooo it's not going to be like a non-AC game ?

So it's the Prince of Persia openworld we always wanted ?

Sign me up !

lol

If there's anything Ubisoft consistently nails with these games, it's the setting. With the BF team behind this coupled with increased development time, I don't see any cause for doubt.

Jesper Kyd please!! It'd be glorious to have him on board for this as it's already sounding really amazing.

Wait, is Kyd's name popping up in these rumors? I don't see it anywhere...

That would be amazing news.

Hexa

It helps when you show them pictures :D

Alexandria (Cleopatra era)

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/07/cleopatra/alexandria-map

Temple of Amun-Ra in Karnak

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnak

For example this is how Memphis looked in movie Exodus

The Black Flag map is really big and 3x that is huge. Modern Alexandria would take up .4% of that.
You could take every single other AC map, put them together and you would still be magnitudes away from 3x BFs map.
No way in hell they pull that off without mostly empty space.

Hupsel

Watch them say on E3: "Our new world is the biggest one yet, even bigger than in Tom Clancy´s Wildlands" zzzzzzzz please quality over quantity and terrible open worlds pls.

dex3108

The Black Flag map is really big and 3x that is huge. Modern Alexandria would take up .4% of that.
You could take every single other AC map, put them together and you would still be magnitudes away from 3x BFs map.
No way in hell they pull that off without mostly empty space.

That is where creative liberty and messing with scale comes to help. I am not saying that there won't be empty space but there are tricks how to fill them in games.

Mad Max for examplje had some great locations. You would go and only see sand around you ans small peak of some building. You go there and you think that some kind of small shed is sticking out of sand. Then you enter that shed and you end up inside burred church/cathedral that is huge.

Munkybhai

I'm guessing that it'll be a really long, thin map following the Nile and then the delta areas, with travel by boat. There wasn't much to see in Egypt that was far from the Nile or another large body of water.

Think that they will have it set during the time of Ramses II and we can meet some of his 100 sons and 200 daughters?

CHC

Why not just come out and say the main character is black lol.

Because they are probably going to find some way to make him sort of white, like he's some half-Euro guy that somehow got involved in the worlds most historically unlikely situation. I'm expecting green or blue eyes for sure.

eizarus

Banned
All this talk of Black Flag is making me want to buy it on my PS4 considering the sale. I only played about half of it on my PC 2 years ago.

Worth buying guys?

Were they black though? IIRC there's a scholarly controversy regarding the "race" of the civilisation because it was a huge variety and they didn't bother differentiating between skin colour.

Make's me think they'll go with a slightly darker Ezio-looking dude.

dex3108

They didn't even announce game for the love of god :D

Because they are probably going to find some way to make him sort of white, like he's some half-Euro guy that somehow got involved in the worlds most historically unlikely situation. I'm expecting green or blue eyes for sure.

Yeah Ubisoft is really scared of making characters of different race, religion, sexual orientation...

Greeks were in Egypt since before Herodotus. Not historically unlikely at all

But I'd definitely prefer if they go all the way and just do an Egyptian hero

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Watch them say on E3: "Our new world is the biggest one yet, even bigger than in Tom Clancy´s Wildlands" zzzzzzzz please quality over quantity and terrible open worlds pls.
The open world of GR:R is noteworthy in how diverse it is. Same goes for the majority of their open world games when it comes to the different districts or biomes. So I don't get this complaint.

dex3108

The open world of GR:R is noteworthy in how diverse it is. Same goes for the majority of their open world games when it comes to the different districts or biomes. So I don't get this complaint.

They are nice put what he wants to say is that they are empty as you don't have anything interesting to do. And that is true. I hope that they will use map in a good way through various quests.

- The Character has slightly darker skin than we have previously seen for a main character.

BUT IT'S NOT ACTUALLY BLACK, SO IT'S TOTALLY OKAY FOR ANGRY WHITE DUDES THAT WANT GAMES SET IN EGYPT WITHOUT HAVING TO PLAY AS A BLACK CHARACTER.

Greeks were in Egypt since before Herodotus. Not historically unlikely at all

But I'd definitely prefer if they go all the way and just do an Egyptian hero

I agree but it would be interesting to have Athens or another Greek city to play around in or just visiting that city in that age period, I imagine a busy ancient Greek city with it's architecture and type of cloth... I dunno just in my mind it sounds great.

I agree but it would be interesting to have Athens or another Greek city to play around in or just visiting that city in that age period, I imagine a busy ancient Greek city with it's architecture and type of cloth... I dunno just in my mind it sounds great.
I believe there were some rumors that this new trilogy focuses on Rome, Greece, and Egypt, so you might just get that

Especially if they're doing Hellenistic era Egypt. Alexandia would fit in perfectly there

The main thing I want to see though is the game to perform well across all platforms. Really don't want to see another Unity, Black Flag ran well but it was a cross gen title so here's hoping.

Braag

All of that sounds good to me, except maybe the size of the world... I hope it's not bloated..

Three times larger!? How is that possible? It would be ridiculously big if they're counting all the water space + land.

Yeah was wondering about that. Gonna be camel riding for hours in the desert.

Crossing Eden

They are nice put what he wants to say is that they are empty as you don't have anything interesting to do. And that is true. I hope that they will use map in a good way through various quests.
Pretty sure that's the idea. Patience.

BUT IT'S NOT ACTUALLY BLACK, SO IT'S TOTALLY OKAY FOR ANGRY WHITE DUDES THAT WANT GAMES SET IN EGYPT WITHOUT HAVING TO PLAY AS A BLACK CHARACTER.
Of all the devs that would be afraid to have a black character, Ubi is not one of them.

sangreal

So the MC will be, like... Egyptian? I'd never have expected that.

You do realize that what 'Egyptian' means in this context is extremely controversial, right? We are talking about ancient egypt, not modern egypt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_race_controversy

Of all the devs that would be afraid to have a black character, Ubi is not one of them.

AC has always been very racially diverse, but posts like that are understandable because of the above

hydruxo

All things considered, I'm glad they're doing Egypt for the game that they took an extra year to work on. It has the most potential out of every setting they've done so far. I just hope the world isn't too big.

atr0cious

After that nudle mission in WD2, I have to agree, though they did seem shy on diversity issues at first. I hope the former slave is expounded on, and what that means for that era, since it could easily get muddy. I really don't know how I'll feel if they go civil rights preachy.

eizarus

Banned
I believe there were some rumors that this new trilogy focuses on Rome, Greece, and Egypt, so you might just get that

Especially if they're doing Hellenistic era Egypt. Alexandia would fit in perfectly there

I'm just waiting for the mission where you assassinate Pompey Magnus when he arrives in Alexandria.

Crossing Eden

After that nudle mission in WD2, I have to agree, though they did seem shy on diversity issues at first. I hope the former slave is expounded on, and what that means for that era, since it could easily get muddy. I really don't know how I'll feel if they go civil rights preachy.
Remember we're talking about the same series that had you murdering slave owners with the same machetes used to chop sugar cane and the same whips used to whip slaves.

Top Bottom