• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch calls out Yogscast as "an isolated island of egos".

Venfayth

MineCON - the official Minecraft convention - was this past weekend, and Yogscast was present. Apparently they did not mesh well with Mojang.

Mojang is the company, led by Notch, who created Minecraft. Yogscast is the most popular youtube channel for many varieties of Minecraft content.

https://twitter.com/#!/notch

Drama started when notch tweeted:
notch Markus Persson
I'm very sorry about the behavior of the people we won't work with any more. Celebrity or not, you don't f-bomb kids.

People started wondering what he was referring to, he confirmed:
notch Markus Persson
Yes, Yogscast.

Followed by ...

notch Markus Persson
Wow. Hate, insults and threats are flooding in from Yogscast fans. I'll stop biting my tongue now.

Yogscast repeatedly insulted people, talked behind their backs, refused to cooperate, and acted like total spoiled divas nonstop.

They called us "a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company", demanded that we pay them to come here (nobody else got paid).

And they claim they're the reason minecraft is big and that we should thank them more than anyone else in the community. They're total dicks

A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead.

Everyone else in the Minecraft community is all about respecting and caring. They're not. They're an isolated island of egos.

All this said, I'm very tired at the moment, and this will probably pass. I do like the work they do, very much.

Kinda interesting, Notch actually mad at someone.

OnPoint

Clone his game and/or steal his assets? Meh.

Disrespect his fans? Fire in the eyes.

I respect that, actually.

WedgeX

Banned
Yogscast was amusing back in....april, June? What the heck happened to those guys since?

In notch I trust.

Venfayth

Wait what? Who is Mojang and who is Yogscast?

Mojang is the company, led by Notch, who created Minecraft. Yogscast is the most popular youtube channel for many varieties of Minecraft content.

Should this be on gaming side? No one here plays video games.

Shouldn't this be in gaming?

edit: Yep, beaten.

Ugh, thought I did post in gaming. I'm having an off day. If a mod could move, would give them <3's.

Yogscast was amusing back in....april, June? What the heck happened to those guys since?

Half their Minecraft videos turned to crap. The informational ones Simon and Lewis do are still top-notch (no pun intended), but their ones like the It's Better Together map playthrough? Where when they couldn't figure out a puzzle in 5 minutes they just used TNT to blow through to the next one? They're starting to get real lazy.

Timan

Developer
warning reddit link

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/mkew4/my_experience_with_the_yogscast_team_at_minecon/

So, with this shitstorm of Notch vs. Yogscast, I thought I would weigh in my own opinion on it, such that it is.

I'm not sure that an "f-bomb" is the sole reason for Notch wanting to not work with them anymore.
Yogscast was invited as a special guest to MineCon and was even given their own panel. What I assumed, and what I believed that Mojang assumed when they invited them to a panel, was that they would speak for an hour (hour and a half?) about their Youtube videos, podcasts and the like. They would talk about their experiences, making videos, how they got so popular, etc. Instead, what we seemed to get was an hour of them showing videos of popular builds done using Minecraft. A whole team was up on stage and it seemed only Simon/Lewis spoke.

In addition, the entire team acted like a group of self-entitled pricks the entire weekend. I worked as one of the volunteer staff that weekend and they demanded to be let in to the Scrolls/Cobalt play test area before the rest of the crowd was. We allowed them to enter for 5 minutes, as we were trying to keep to a schedule, but they created a big stink when they were asked to leave so the people who paid good money to come to MineCon could play the games too. They acted like they were the Kings of Minecraft simply because they are minor celebrities in the Youtube world.

Adding on to that, they offered to sign things for fans, in the same vein as Mojang did on Friday night. Mojang was highly classy. They talked to fans, signed whatever they wanted, and all of them, despite being exhausted, were always friendly to whatever fan wanted a word with them, even if it was just to send them away. They even signed more for the ones that were cut off in line Friday night on Saturday. Yogscast, on the other hand, passed out tickets to people who wanted an autograph during their own panel! When fans complained that they couldn't get an autograph, their response was along the lines of, "True fans would have skipped the panel to get the autograph."

Finally, on a more personal experience. My friends and I entered the main hall right after the Yogscast panel to get good seats for the closing ceremony. The Styrofoam sign that said "Yogscast" that was slapped over the "Activate Minecraft" sign on the lever on stage during their panel was being removed by the stage manager after their panel, presumably to be thrown away. My friend wanted the sign as a keepsake from MineCon, and the sign was given to her. After the closing ceremony, one of their members hunted us down to get back this sign. She used to be a huge Yogscast fan, but this experience has soured her.
In Short: The Yogscast team didn't appreciate the gesture that was given to them to be invited as a special panel to MineCon and they treated it with almost indifference. They acted like it was Mojang that should be appreciative of them gracing MineCon with their presence.

Notch may have blamed the fallout between Mojang and Yogscast on an "f-bomb" in front of kids, but I think it was more than just that. I think that Yogscast wasn't what they were hoping they would be. Mojang should probably have reviewed what Yogscast was going to be like more than they did, but MineCon had many issues like that. It wasn't perfect, and it was a bit sloppy, but I don't think Mojang should suffer all the blame for issues with Yogscast.

Just my two cents.
EDIT: For those of you who want proof, the only proof I have is my staff shirt. I can take a photo of it when I get home.

Ugh, thought I did post in gaming. I'm having an off day. If a mod could move, would give them <3's.

Ahh, okay. I get it now!

Nows our chance to make real life references when a gaming thread gets put in OT, like when OT threads get put in gaming and everyone goes "lol can't wait till this game comes out!"

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I thought this topic was going to be about some kind of Nordic islands I had no idea about.

that sucks. i like yogscast. i get a good laugh every now and then and enjoy listening to their commentaries. i hope the youtube fame hasn't gone to their heads.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This is troubling. I follow the Yogscast on Youtube and both Simon and Lewis seem like really laid back people. I've never heard of anything like this about them.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Though the accounts of what Yogscast did aren't putting them in a bright light, Notch having a public bitchfest on Twitter and airing his dirty laundry isn't any better.

Oli

Yogcast is pretty good. I wouldn't have bought Minecraft had I not seen their videos. They make the game look fun.

Don't have much of an opinion on the incident, whatever it is, it isn't very clear.

And might I add that it is funny how many people are jumping to conclusions in this thread. It's only one side of the story people. Don't lose respect for the so quickly. Yeesh.

ezekial45

Banned
Its a shame to hear this. I liked Yogscast from time to time, and they didn't seem all that arrogant at all from the videos they posted.

But yeah, acting arrogant and disrespecting to the people who've been supporting you is fucked up. I can't imagine anything more pompus and egotistical. Especially from a group that basically just posts their playthroughs of videogames.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Though the accounts of what Yogscast did aren't putting them in a bright light, Notch having a public bitchfest on Twitter and airing his dirty laundry isn't any better.

I don't think this is a case of 'airing one's dirty laundry'. Why keep this private? They shit up his event after he invited them.

Rapstah

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. I was subscribed to their channel long before they started doing Minecraft and watched the beginning of their Minecraft series, but as they got more "famous" on Youtube (their Minecraft series videos get like 350 000 views on the first day nowadays) they also started acting more like spoiled idiots. They haven't acted this badly in any videos I've watched, but it's a thin line and I don't think I can watch their videos now without this souring it up.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
They should have just talked about this instead of blasting it over Twitter.

ultron87

Notch certainly has gotten quite adept at doing stuff publicly on Twitter just to get the community on his side.

I have no reason to doubt that he is being truthful, it's just that it seems like he does this a lot.

Red

Yogcast is pretty good. I wouldn't have bought Minecraft had I not seen their videos. They make the game look fun.

Don't have much of an opinion on the incident, whatever it is, it isn't very clear.

And might I add that it is funny how many people are jumping to conclusions in this thread. It's only one side of the story people. Don't lose respect for the so quickly. Yeesh.
How is any of this not clear

Delio

Wow,I really love the Yogscast. Followed them before they started the Minecraft vids and this is really shocking. They have always came off as really downto earth and in one video even mentioned staying later at a con signing everything. I just dont understand why it was diffrent this time.

Insaniac

shame on yogscast. I used to enjoy them, but they've slow progressively gotten more lazy in their videos in terms of the effort they put forth to be entertaining. As if they expect everything they do is just pure gold

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Wouldn't surprise me one bit. I was subscribed to their channel long before they started doing Minecraft and watched the beginning of their Minecraft series, but as they got more "famous" on Youtube (their Minecraft series videos get like 350 000 views on the first day nowadays) they also started acting more like spoiled idiots.
How so? I started following them after they started their Minecraft stuff, so I would like to get some more perspective.

Top Bottom