• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

SheHateMe

I'm in.

I'm waiting on my superior #euro version to arrive here in the states, so I might as well do it on my original NA SNES that I still adore.

"I do adore you, baby, you just got a twin sister that's hotter than you."

Given the right circumstances (after my son falls asleep) I can knock this out in about 4 1/2 to 5 hours tonight. The glitch might take me another 30 or so minutes.

I've played this through almost every year since 1991. Didn't do it this year because I had a hunch that the SNES Mini was coming. Glad to see my patience paid off.

So since it's still fresh on my mind, may as well give a short retrospective.

It's super interesting to me how Super Mario World plays. It's clearly the first point where Nintendo starts to really push it's philosophy as an accessible game for everyone while still being a difficult game for 'pros' of the time. While Kaizo players will likely scoff, the latter levels of Bowser's world and Special world are still very challenging even from a 'veteran' gamer such as myself.

You can see it being more welcoming to new players by more options to learn about the game mechanics in game. I took the time to read the boxes and it reminded me of mechanics I completely forgot existed (like the level in Chocolate Island that you have to beat both fast and slow to unlock both paths). But it also doesn't just info dump, and still teaches a lot of mechanics via show.

For example: Here are objects that come from the sky and squish you. Later those same objects are now smaller, but have spikes. They drop at the same speed so you can adjust quickly enough. Later those same spikey poles start going faster than before, but they start with only one so you can easily see this change and adjust before dropping multiple at once.

No challenge in this game feels unfair in the least, something Kaizo games definitely can't say and that's why it works. It's why players push forward because it's never the game knowing all the secrets and the players not, but rather the game tells you what you need to know and the only thing keeping you from winning is your own execution.

That said, overall, the game is to me than the last time I plowed through... but that's not really a con, my 7 year old daughter loved playing through it all with me. She struggled on the later levels, but she never got too upset and we just kept plucking at it.

Dineren

Banned
nk7q8bIl.jpg
8uheo5bl.jpg

I may have skipped 3/4 of the game, but I still beat it! #morton

I'm kind of amazed just how many of the secrets I still remember, looking forward to working towards 96 stars soon.

jennetics

Question, my tv just died and my SNES classic has been backordered (Walmart). If I miss the cutoff date for Super Mario World (i.e. October 15), have I lost my chance to get that stamp?

Question, my tv just died and my SNES classic has been backordered (Walmart). If I miss the cutoff date for Super Mario World (i.e. October 15), have I lost my chance to get that stamp?

From the first page:

How do I report a completed goal?
Just reply to this thread with the special goal hashtag that matches the goal you've completed. That's right, this is based on the honor system. Don't cheat! How do you know which hashtags match which goals? Continue below to find out this game's goals. You can reply with any goal hashtags in any SNES Classic Club thread, so if you're completing goals for a previous game, you can post them here or in the thread originally associated with the game! Optionally, include a photo of your accomplishment for posterity -- and the bot will stitch together a diary of your playthrough photos early next year! Confused? Click this tutorial reply screenshot to see an example of reporting a completed goal.

The dates are there primarily to curate, but it's never meant to punish :)

Currently in Lost Woods with all exits (except star road/special) gotten so far. This is where I start to lose track of where some exits are since I know there are backtracking exits and exits that depend on the remaining time/coin count.

Currently in Lost Woods with all exits (except star road/special) gotten so far. This is where I start to lose track of where some exits are since I know there are backtracking exits and exits that depend on the remaining time/coin count.

The only time that's the case is in chocoisland for one stage. Lost woods is all about the path. The only one slightly hard is the under water stages false wall.

Blizzard

Banned
My fiance and I reached world 3 today. It turns out she's terrible at Mario Kart, and I'm terrible at Mario World. :p

Mod question: May we please talk about other games as well? My ideal breakdown would be the OT for all the sales (preorder/sales/shipments etc. dominate it) plus another thread to exclusively talk about the games. I could post over there but I think it would be completely buried, and I wanted to talk/ask a couple of simple things about Secret of Mana which I've never played before.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
well, the real test of memory starts now for that 96*, I'm pretty sure I've done every exit to this point though. Question: Do Star Road normal exits count for the tally?

Yep, star road normal exits count, as do other dead-end exits. Bowser's Castle doesn't (I think!)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I tracked my SNES Classic and found that it won't arrive until October 10th. While that would still give me a few days to finish the challenge in time with everyone else, I thought I'd fire up Retro Achievement's emulator in hardcore mode (technically making things more difficult than even the SNES Classic as it disables save states and memory hacks).

Z1IdGAP.png

Please excuse my ghetto camera, but I figured this would be better than simply taking a screenshot

#morton

I finished about 45 exits before cheaping out and finishing up on Star Road. Even though I've played this game on RA before, I did actually unlock a few achievements (many of which I think were added after I last played so). I do plan on going back and unlocking the rest of the exits maybe later on this weekend. It's been a while since I've played through the special zone.

Now for the trip down memory lane - when the SNES first released I was too poor to buy one, but occasionally (for special occasions such birthdays / Christmas) I would get a small amount of money from my uncle and grandparents that I would fervently save up to put towards buying one. My mom taught me basic accounting practices and I had her hold on to my money while she would show me how to properly keep a ledger. Very rarely I would withdraw money (either to buy a book or maybe a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figure!) and she would also show me how to properly write in the date the money was taken out and how much and to keep a running balance in the ledger. I was 9 years old at the time, and she was earning her degree in accounting - so this is a very powerful and special memory for me. She eventually went on to get her master's degree in taxation and currently works for a really large international company that flies her around the globe to do cool and unique accounting things and I'm so very proud of her.

While I was saving up for my SNES, my parents would occasionally rent one from the video store along with a game or two. My favorites were Actraiser, Sim City and Turtles in Time but I had also played other games like Pilotwings and F-Zero which 9-year-old me thought were a bit boring. My grandfather got me and my brother a subscription to Nintendo Power magazine back then, so I got to read about all the new games coming out.

Finally in 1993 I had saved up enough money to get my own SNES console and two games. This was right after the $99 price drop for the console that didn't include the pack-in SMW. Strangely, I was extremely hyped for Mario Paint - the idea that I could buy a $60 game that also came with a mouse / mousepad was apparently too much of a value proposition for now 11 year old me to pass up. Think of all the cool things I could make with that! I bought the system with Mario Paint and The Legend of Zelda. I was not disappointed, although obviously in retrospect Zelda was the much better title. I probably spent 1000 hours with Mario Paint though, specifically the music section.

All this to say that shortly after I got the SNES, my relatives all heard the news and that Christmas I had scored Mario Kart, Final Fantasy IV, and Super Mario World. I played the ever loving shit out of all of these games - considering back then the only way to play something new was either wait for your birthday / Christmas or rent from the video store.

For Super Mario World specifically, I remember playing through this game with my older brother a lot and taking turns as Mario / Luigi - stealing lives from each other when they weren't looking, and leaving the console on all day when we went to school so we wouldn't lose our place or all of the extra lives we had unlocked. I think the first time through, it had taken us about a month or two to beat the game the first time - we explored all of the special exits and genuinely took our time with the game. I had read about the Star Road secrets in Nintendo Power and how it would lead straight to Bowser's Castle, but back then it almost seemed like an urban myth and besides those Yoshi levels were damn near impossible.

One final memory - when I was much older and my brother had kids, one year for Christmas I bought his two sons (at the time aged 6 and 8) their own SNES console and about 30 of my favorite games - Super Mario World being chief among them (also Actraiser, Super Mario RPG, Zelda, Chrono Trigger, Kirby, Mario Kart, etc). The kids absolutely loved them and I think made some memories of their own of playing this game when they were young.

All this to say that Super Mario World is not only an absolute joy to play even to this day but was also a big part of my life when I was younger.

#morton

Did a quick 20 minute run, star road'd it. Lover the game to bits still. I don't think I'll do all exits but I'll see how I feel about the achievos.

This is a great idea, and I'm in as well. Picked up my snes classic preorder from eb games today, and I've already put a few hours in. Man, SMW is harder than I remember, or I just suck now. Not quite through world 3 yet, and I've had to go back to the top secret level to restock on extra lives a few times now.

Time to git gud

Clarification on #3: Do we just need to perform the glitch with evidence? Or actually beat the game using the glitch again with evidence?

I think I'm on World 3 now? You know what, I don't think I beat this game as a kid.

Fun so far, but I know I'm missing a million secrets. I'll just play it the regular way and hopefully beat it.

Basically honor system,but nobody will believe it without evidence :)

Indeed, but the question was whether you just have to perform the Orb glitch or the like, or if it has to be done at a boss (which essentially means not taking any damage till you get to bowser)

Dineren

Banned
29jvZ5El.jpg

#luigi

I only planned to do the bare minimum to beat Bowser and finish the rest next week, but ended up doing it all. I've replayed SMW a few times (though not to 96*) and it always surprises me a bit how easy it is. The special zone was the only area that caused me trouble and even that wasn't too bad. I still had a lot of fun though, I think this is the first time since 1991 or 1992 that I hit 96* and I'm pretty confident I wouldn't have bothered without this thread, so thanks Stump!

I just learned what the 96 "exits" meant.

Can I go back after beating the levels the normal way to get the extra exits? I'm not really sure how it all works tbh. How many exits do you get if you don't do any secret stuff?

Blizzard

Banned

Can I go back after beating the levels the normal way to get the extra exits? I'm not really sure how it all works tbh. How many exits do you get if you don't do any secret stuff?
Yes, you can replay levels as many times as you want besides the castles, which don't have secret exits if I recall correctly.

Blizzard

Banned
Great, thanks.
Pro-tip about previously played levels if you haven't figured it out yet (I think one of the ingame tip boxes tells you this):
You can press start, then select to cancel out of a level you've played before. This is extremely useful if you want something like a Yoshi or a feather powerup and you know a previously played level where one of those things is found right at the start.

Yes, you can replay levels as many times as you want besides the castles, which don't have secret exits if I recall correctly.

You can replay castles by standing over them and pressing L+R together. The castles don't have multiple exits though, so there's no need to do this to get 96 and the star.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Red dot means two exits, yellow means one exit. First exit is the goalpost. Second exit is usually a key and keyhole.

You can back out of a completed level by hitting Start, and then Select

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
So... how do you trigger the graphical change in this since you can't reset after beating the game?

Nevermind... forgot it happens when you beat Funky and not finish the game.

Boke1879

I think I'm on World 3 now? You know what, I don't think I beat this game as a kid.

Fun so far, but I know I'm missing a million secrets. I'll just play it the regular way and hopefully beat it.

Straight up though. I never beat this as a kid either and right now I'm finding a lot of secrets. I would suggest after you beat it normally. To try them out. So far they haven't been too hard.

somehow the game lost my save and I lost about 6 levels of progress, so now I'm back in forest of illusion again. I forgot that one of my favorite things to do is overflow the 1up/point bonuses from bouncing on enemies and getting ridiculous scores in forest 1 by continously bouncing on wigglers then respawning them with a cape (and preferably yoshi).

Beefwheat

Dumb question. How can you get back to the title screen to see your progress when the save system is done through save states? Thanks in advance.

It looks like nobody answered this, so: the game will ask you to save at certain times (like completing Ghost Houses or Castles, f'rinstance). Do that and then just run the game fresh instead of loading your save state.

Making good progress but I'm now past the Forest of Illusion and will probably have to bust out Mario Mania from this point on. Also: This is my favorite Mario face in the game, possibly ever
b643QN4m.jpg

gattsu

Working on my playthrough! I was only allowed to have a gameboy for many years, so I missed out completely on the SNES. I actually have tons of memories of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe Edition (which was an incredible version), with the Boo races and all, and "Super Mario Advance", which I LOVED because it was so bonkers and had a character select. I didn't realize until years later that SMA was actually Super Mario Bros 2 reskinned!

Anyways, I've never played Super Mario World and so far it's pretty hard to me. Getting used to the snes controller feels very weird too. It feels like there's a lot of different mechanics I'm slowly grasping. It's very good, but I could see how nostalgia would push it towards GOAT for some people. Will update if I finish in time!

Working on my playthrough! I was only allowed to have a gameboy for many years, so I missed out completely on the SNES. I actually have tons of memories of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe Edition (which was an incredible version), with the Boo races and all, and "Super Mario Advance", which I LOVED because it was so bonkers and had a character select. I didn't realize until years later that SMA was actually Super Mario Bros 2 reskinned!

Anyways, I've never played Super Mario World and so far it's pretty hard to me. Getting used to the snes controller feels very weird too. It feels like there's a lot of different mechanics I'm slowly grasping. It's very good, but I could see how nostalgia would push it towards GOAT for some people. Will update if I finish in time!

It'll become a lot easier as you get the hang of it. It was actually devised to specifically be easier then SMB3, and it is - you can skip a fair amount of levels with the cape (although that's kind of missing the point), one up's are frequent almost to the point of absurdity and the game lets you "store" a powerup AND gives you Yoshi as an additional invincibility option that you can remount if you're fast enough. It's too easy imo.

Just got through world 2 (with all exits in w1/2 & 3 star road levels done) and have 50 lives already lol. Still love it though. Some of the levels are really imaginative, flying & yoshi are great fun, it plays like a dream and has a huge amount of charm.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Super glad to wake up and see people going for the glitch goal. To me it's totally ponderous to see how far speedrunning has taken these games. I never would have imagined that there are still, so to speak, secrets hidden in the games that I played thousands of hours of 20 years ago.

This youtuber Summoning Salt does videos about speedrun world record progressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USBboeK7oDA

In 2004, the speedrun record was 11:24. In 2011, the speedrun record was 10:44. That improvement is insane (driven by movement optimization and a glitch to conserve fight momentum through doors). Then, rapidly, the orb glitch knocked off another 20 seconds. The cloud glitch shaved another 20 seconds.

Which would be amazing if people didn't discover the credit warp. The current human record is ONE MINUTE AND 13 SECONDS.

Best thing is seeing some of these glitches done in a live race. I remember there was one in one of the water levels that got a lot of play in AGDQ's, though I don't know if it's still in the run.

Fugu

I will be honest: of all the mainline pre-64 Mario games, this has always been my least favorite. I'm going to use this challenge as an opportunity to revisit that belief. I've also recently replayed the NES trilogy, so there'll be ample context.

Super glad to wake up and see people going for the glitch goal.

When you do the first two goals before the thread was supposed to originally start, what else can you do :)

The harder part now is waiting to do Punch Out. What's the order on the RPGs? I want to tackle one to get use out of the system but want to choose one that's far out so I won't mind replaying it next year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SMW has a lot of levels where if you just fly or run through them the level seems like a boring waste of time, but if you set up your lines the way they're intended to, it's ingenious -- cases where enemy patterns are set up so that you can bounce off enough enemies to get a 1-up, blocks floating in air that are the exact right placement for you to land on them if you take a full speed blind jump off a cliff (1-3's first section is a great example of this) -- cases where there are platforms to land and take off from at exactly the place you need them for Yoshi + Cape. I think the more you replay it the more you realize how great a lot of the levels really are.

The harder part now is waiting to do Punch Out. What's the order on the RPGs? I want to tackle one to get use out of the system but want to choose one that's far out so I won't mind replaying it next year.

In order: Earthbound (beat game / all photos / stairs glitch your way to the end), FF6 (world of balance / beat the game / haven't decided between "get all rages" and "beat the game with minimum party complement"), Mana, Super Mario RPG. SMRPG will be the big finale.

For Super Punch-Out!!, the hardest goal stamp will probably be either a blindfolded run of the Minor Circuit or beating the entire game with no losses, no knockdowns, and quick KOs (best time on the leaderboard), and for F-Zero the top goal stamp will be getting a time within 10 seconds of the world record on Mute City 1 and the second goal stamp will be beating every cup on Master.

The first half of Cheese Bridge is designed for yoshi + cape because a full speed flight off the first platform lands you on the saws perfectly to make it to the midpoint by doing nothing other than holding run + jump.

UltraJay

Are people just doing the glitch and then completing the stamp? Because I thought you were then supposed to beat the game that way.

Top Bottom