• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omerta – City of Gangsters Announced (TRS by the Tropico devs)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Press Release:
Kalypso Media said:
Today’s a great day for fans of gangster-themed gangs, as we’re happy to unveil Omerta – City of Gangsters. Omerta will put you in the boots of a fresh-off-the-boat tough guy immigrant in 1920′s Atlantic City, as you fight to build your own criminal empire. The game mixes tactical combat with economic strategy as you recruit gang members to take out your enemies and build a criminal empire.

Read the full scoop, or check out the screens below.

Omerta – City of Gangsters is a simulation game with tactical turn-based combat. Taking the role of a fresh-from-the-boat immigrant, with dreams of the big life, the player will work his way up the criminal hierarchy of 1920’s Atlantic City. Starting with small jobs, his character recruits a gang and expands his empire by taking territory from other gangsters. Eventually he establishes his own crime syndicate and becomes the de facto ruler of Atlantic City.

The player strategically manages his business and his minions in a real-time format, slowly but steadily increasing his influence over the city. The player sends his henchmen out on missions ranging from assassinating an informant, to raiding a warehouse, springing a friend from prison, robbing a bank, or attacking a rival gang’s hideout. Nobody is above the law in Atlantic City, so it always helps to have a little cash handy to bribe a policeman or pay off a politician.

The turn-based combat in Omerta – City of Gangsters focuses on the tactical command of “The Boss” and his henchmen. Cover and stealth are essential parts of any shootout in the game. Finding the best vantage point to gun down an enemy, while taking cover from a hailstorm of bullets, can be just as satisfying as sneaking quietly behind a foe and taking him down.

• Historically accurate representation of Atlantic City and its landmarks
  • Strategic gameplay allows city overview, planning, expansion and gathering of intel
  • Turn-based tactical combat with a cover system and stealth action
  • 15 unique player controlled characters each with a unique personalities and backgrounds
  • An RPG system for development of player characters and managing their gear
  • Competitive and cooperative multiplayer mode with persistent multiplayer gang
  • 15+ hours of gameplay in a single play-through
  • 20 unique maps visualizing the various districts of Atlantic City
Developed by Haemimont Games. (No platforms announced yet)
Link to the press release with images

First Gameplay footage thanks to Saty

omerta-cityofgangsters-gdc2012-alpha-5.jpg

omerta-cityofgangsters-gdc2012-alpha-4.jpg

omerta-cityofgangsters-gdc2012-alpha-1.jpg

Yes you read that right: Turn Based Gangster Simulation.

Mindlog

Sounds like someone was working on Jagged Alliance and had an idea.

The sudden mild vitality of the genre pleases me. Go nuts Kalypso (Haemimont). I will probably be picking this up.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sounds like someone was working on Jagged Alliance and had an idea.

The sudden mild vitality of the genre pleases me. Go nuts Kalypso (Haemimont). I will probably be picking this up.
Im tired of the 'Tactical Turn Based Gangster Simulators' genre. The industry needs to green light more original ideas. ;)

Meier

Love Tropico but don't really get how this will work. Definitely will keep an eye on it but it seems like a Steam/Amazon sale game to me especially since they lack experience in the genre (I'm assuming).

JDSN

Banned
I was expecting the actual developers of Tropico (The dudes from Poptop that were moved to Firaxis) to do this, but Haemimont Games have done a decent job being true to the series. The more turn-based games, the better.

I read the title as the Portuguese equivalent of "TheShit". No exactly a good name...

For the sake of precision it should be actually spelled "omertà", that's a italian term mainly related to mafia and camorra, standing to indicate the refusal of potential witnesses of crimes to collaborate with the police when inquired - "I did see nothing", "I wasn't there" - due to fear of retaliation.

Definitely a bad-taste name, if you know what it means, anyway I suppose it's just they threw out some random term related to mafia not bothering too much, as they couldn't come up with a better idea, Godfather and Mafia being already taken.

Fersis

About the platforms i would guess: PC & X360 same as Tropico

DirtRiver

I used to play Omerta back when it was a browser game. It was fun for sure and the gang mechanics were pretty good.

Wondering how this will play. Definitely interested to see how I would run my own mob gang.

gabbo

Hopefully this has elements in it that I had hoped to see added into future Tropicos.
Will keep an eye on it

Sethos

Banned
Awww hell yes! So weird, I was just thinking about a game like this the other day - Almost installed Gangland again.

AAequal

Banned
Great news! It's been too long since I played game like this. Does anyone else remember Gangsters or Legal Crime? Gangsters especially was great game, so much to do in one game. LC was good too but it was kinda gangsters mini version. Edit. Seems like I wasn't the only fan of Gangsters ;)
M6Juo.jpg

gEem0.jpg

sqHIg.png

Wildesy

I loved Gangsters 2, if it's anything like that, I'm definitely in. Before this thread I pretty much thought I was the only person who had ever even heard of the game Gangsters! Now that I think of it, I've replayed Gangsters 2 about five times but I've never beaten it. I remember having a lot of trouble when the armoured cars/tanks started getting introduced.

..think it might be a time for a reinstall; thanks thread :p

On a side note, I'm surprised Kalypso keep pumping out games, I really don't pick them as a company that moves a massive amount of product. Is Tropico even popular at all? I never hear anyone talking about it, I certainly never thought it was a franchise that would justify four separate releases. I can think of a fair few other companies that made far more popular games but struggled to stay afloat. Anyway, I'm not complaining, their sort of company and the games they produce are a dying breed so it is good to see them releasing new stuff.

I'm still playing Tropico 3, just re-installed it, and I'll pick up Tropico 4 when all the DLC is out and they bundle it together at a good price. If this game gets good reviews I might pick it up at launch.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I loved Gangsters 2, if it's anything like that, I'm definitely in. Before this thread I pretty much thought I was the only person who had ever even heard of the game Gangsters! Now that I think of it, I've replayed Gangsters 2 about five times but I've never beaten it. I remember having a lot of trouble when the armoured cars/tanks started getting introduced.

On a side note, I'm surprised Kalypso keep pumping out games, I really don't pick them as a company that moves a massive amount of product. Is Tropico even popular at all? I never hear anyone talking about it, I certainly never thought it was a franchise that would justify four separate releases. I can think of a fair few other companies that made far more popular games but struggled to stay afloat. Anyway, I'm not complaining, their sort of company and the games they produce are a dying breed so it is good to see them releasing new stuff.

There's not that many notable game companies from Germany, so it's not like they'll get absorbed. They also don't have that many employees.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It's all about budget management. You don't need to sell 14 million units if your game cost a mil to make.

jonno394

OOh, my first Thought was Gangsters on the PC, glad to see I wasn't alone. I don't expect this will play anything like that though will it?

Top Bottom