• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gav47

Hey since this thread is loosely candy related, I hear Europeans often find that Hershey's chocolate has a vomit smell and taste, is this true?

The plain bars I've gotten from America kinda have a sour after taste to them but the cookies and cream flavoured bars they sell here are fine.

Oh and mistaking the UK for Ireland, unforgivable. The funniest thing is Ryan posted the video and he even said in the video that Galway was in Ireland.

Fascinating. I guess if you've grown up with it, you just don't notice it or it just seems like a normal part of the flavor. I definitely get the sour after taste but it never seemed unusual.

Fjordson

I'm a European and think Hershey's is okay. Not the best, but definitely not as bad as "vomit taste".

Though I've been living in California for 6 years now so maybe that has altered my taste buds or something :lol.

The Kid

On the topic of Hershey's chocolate, the reason for the taste is the fact that Hershey's boils its milk: http://www.hersheystory.org/about/milton-hershey.aspx. Milton Hershey did this as a way to mass produce chocolate cheaply, which at the time was available only to the upper class. The boiling of the milk goes to the point where the milk almost curdles, thus creating the taste of Hershey's chocolate.

Oh my god, Double Deckers are amazing. Cadbury's >>>>>>>>> ALL.

edit: Oh fuck. This is torture. Fuck. Right, first thing tomorrow I'm buying a massive slab of Cadbury's. Chocolate is basically the only thing that I can taste at the moment anyway.

Hamst3r

Hey since this thread is loosely candy related, I hear Europeans often find that Hershey's chocolate has a vomit smell and taste, is this true?

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/travel/13iht-13chocolate.10014453.html?_r=1

American milk chocolate — specifically Hershey's — is known for its tangy or sour flavor, produced by the use of milk that Landuyt refers to as "acidified." ... Hershey's puts its milk through controlled lipolysis, a process by which the fatty acids in the milk begin to break down. ... ... This produces butyric acid, also found in Parmesan cheese and the spit-up of babies; other chocolate manufacturers now simply add butyric acid to their milk chocolates...

There ya go. acidicbodyodorpukechocolate.

Haunted

American milk chocolate — specifically Hershey's — is known for its tangy or sour flavor, produced by the use of milk that Landuyt refers to as "acidified." ... Hershey's puts its milk through controlled lipolysis, a process by which the fatty acids in the milk begin to break down. ... ... This produces butyric acid, also found in Parmesan cheese and the spit-up of babies; other chocolate manufacturers now simply add butyric acid to their milk chocolates...
This produces butyric acid, also found in Parmesan cheese and the spit-up of babies; other chocolate manufacturers now simply add butyric acid to their milk chocolates...
also found in Parmesan cheese and the spit-up of babies
the spit-up of babies
sounds great

AcridMeat

Banned
I've never liked Hershey's chocolate either. The fact that there's deliberate incorporation of the awful aftertaste is hilarious to me.

Tradition is great huh guys?

Gowans

That's a lot of UK/Irish Sweets & Chocolate.

I realised in this video they call Stanley Knives Box Cutters.

And the US doesn't do Easter Eggs in Mugs???

PS Bunny Mix is Bullshit.

They also need to burn that Liverpool car sticker! ;)

Fuck!, so I entered the gamespot code on a really old gamespot account that I apparently had, and it turns out that account was banned 5 years ago or something (don't remember why) , so now I cant access anything beyond the frontpage.... Any way I can contact giant bomb dudes about this?

Cadbury's Easter eggs are some of my least favourite, I can only eat a little bit before I feel a bit ill.

However, I can eat tons of Galaxy chocolate in one sitting, that's the good stuff. :p

Random question - Has anyone in the UK eaten a Kit-Kat from mainland Europe? They taste so much better, almost worth driving to France for. ;)

Megasoum

Banned
Is it just me or the Black Ops podcast is not showing up on iTunes?

Edit: nvm...after mashing refresh for a couple of minutes it just popped up lol.

I'm telling you all, Brad is totally into just using that box cutter any chance he gets. The glint in his eye every mailbag video...

Man, it was like freaking Christmas. So much stuff!
Brad biting the egg, hahahaha Those chocolate mugs are pretty awesome. I would so buy one of those.

Darklord

Banned
I've been listening to old bombcasts. It's great hearing in 2009 Ryan getting so pissed off by Diablo 3 not being in beta yet and probably won't be released in 2010. Also Brad being so sure that Pandas were never coming to WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom