• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Announces New Corporate Identity Based on the “Amazing SEGA” Concept

LordKasual

Banned
Same Sega

Same Shit

Different "Resurrection" pitch

When they start churning out good games and not treating their fans like shit, then maybe people would actually believe anything they say

Raitaro

Same Sega

Same Shit

When they start churning out good games and not treating their fans like shit, then maybe people would actually believe anything they say

I have to agree. As long as Nintendo is making the games one would have expected Sega to release up to and including the Dreamcast and OG Xbox era, Splatoon and ARMS being the specific examples I'm thinking of, these kind of promises and corporate speech will remain just that: promises and talk.

Sonic Mania was a very welcome surprise while Daytona 3 came as a small miracle, and the renewed interest in localising Yakuza games is definitely appreciated, but they need to do much much more.

I have to agree. As long as Nintendo is making the gmes one would have expected Sega to release up to and including the Dreamcast and OG Xbox era, Splatoon and ARMS being the specific examples I'm thinking of, such promises and corporote speech will remain just that: promises and talk.

Ehh, Sega isn't in the same secured position as Nintendo where they can release novelty software on whim. I agree they need to take some risk, but they don't have mainstream mega-sellers to sustain new projects or fall back on. They have to be careful.

Pakkidis

Doesn't mean a thing to me unless they heavily invest in new games and existing IP's and make great games. Vanquish 2 please.

Aki-at

Same Sega

Same Shit

This year the lowest rated Sega game has been Dawn of War 3, the highest rated is Persona 5. If you want to exclude those two because they're not traditional Sega developers you're still left with Yakuza 0, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Hatsune Miku in the 80s on Metacritic.

We've got Sonic Mania coming with accurate classic Sonic physics. Further Yakuza games are being localised and the PC port initiative is going full steam (pun intended) ahead. We might even be seeing Shenmue 1 and 2.

I don't think it's fair to say they havent been releasing good games or have been treating their fans like nothing, not in recent times at least. You'd have a point if this was 2014 but recent developments at the company paints a different picture.

Alright SEGA I'm pumped and you're headed the right direction, BUT don't do the Capcom approach.

"We have Resident Evil games?"

REMASTER THEM ALL NON-STOP

"What about the rest of our back catalog, Power Stone, etc.?"

"RESIDENT EVIL YOU BUFFOON!"

impirius

0OkXO7al.png

I'm not sure what's happening here, but I respect the precision

I feel like a dog that been beaten by it's owner. SEGA constantly beats my hope into the ground but everytime they announce something I come back full of hype.

Trojan X

Banned
Time to change your logo sega

Time to come off the crack, bro. Madness talk.

Personally, I don't like this new image: it's unrealistic and doesn't communicate the right message to entice, re-invigorate and pull-in old & new audiences. In fact, it doesn't make sense. What's Amazing Sega? Their main video didn't really explain that (I was watching the Japanese version). Also, it's clear that they have spent a heck of a lot of money to that ad agency who created that jingle, but I do not like that jingle at all. It's rough to the ears and not memorable. Heck, Microsoft's Xbox jingle is far better than that! Even Nintendo Switch is more memorable.

I guess I'm going to see that Eye everywhere in Shibuya and Shinjuku now. To be clear, I'm not saying it's crap, I'm ultimately saying that out of all the messages that could have delivered I believe that is the wrong one and I think they've spent far too much for what they've received. If that CI was done for Samsung or an automobile company then that would be more understanding but this... Sorry, I find it unappealing and doesn't communicate what makes SEGA "SEGA".

Raitaro

Ehh, Sega isn't in the same secured position as Nintendo where they can release novelty software on whim. I agree they need to take some risk, but they don't have mainstream mega-sellers to sustain new projects or fall back on. They have to be careful.

That might be true but their current output is far removed from what old Sega fans associated with the Sega brand in many cases, so any promises to return to their glory days of quality games should come paired with game announcements that scream the Sega name of yore imo (i.e. blue skies Sega).

Their portfolio these past few years has been quite a jumble of very different things both Japanese and Western and while I appreciate some of the games included, most of them belong to long(er) running series that are known quantities and won't bring in many new fans possibly.

There's nothing wrong with making safe choices but if they are sincere about these new plans to become amazing again, they need to change things up and bring out some new IP or old IP revivals that people have been clamoring for. Yes, that would be risky, but that to me is what it would take to live up to the claims and promises they've been making these past years.

(That said, this past year or so has een quite good with the Mania announcement, the Yakuza 0 release and Kiwami and 6 localiztion announcements, Puyo Puyo Tetris coming over, a new Daytona being made - quality perhaps notwithstanding, Persona 5 releasing, etc. If they can keep up delivering more years like this, they'll do just fine, esecially if they find a way to mimic Nintendo's method of putting positive focus on upcoming games in a Direct-like manner.)

Fox Mulder

I feel like a dog that been beaten by it's owner. SEGA constantly beats my hope into the ground but everytime they announce something I come back full of hype.

It's pretty hard for me to get hyped by anything Sega these days. Especially over corporate roadmaps and fanboy dreams.

They were awesome when they had hardware because they could take risks and make unique titles. Nintendo can still do this, so can sony and MS. Sega can not.

I really like this. This doesn't make sense but it is like a modern day 90's Sega. I'm really curious to see what the upcoming years are going to look like from them.

As a life long massive fan of Sega, I'd certainly agree that they amaze me these days. Not in a way I'd like though unfortunately. I find their downfall a genuinely sad subject to discuss.

Aki-at

That might be true but their current output is far removed from what old Sega fans associated with the Sega brand in many cases, so any promises to return to their glory days of quality games should come paired with game announcements that scream the Sega name of yore imo (i.e. blue skies Sega).

Not a major point but I'd like to add what people feel like is Sega and what is Sega is very different. Mega Drive era Sega is radically different than Dreamcast era Sega :p

There's nothing wrong with making safe choices but if they are sincere about these new plans to become amazing again, they need to change things up and bring out some new IP or old IP revivals that people have been clamoring for. Yes, that would be risky, but that to me is what it would take to live up to the claims and promises they've been making these past years.

We saw in their recent stockholders meeting they want to revive IPs and make new ones so it's not just talk.

Of that we know they're expanding Atlus to make a new IP, RGG Studio might be working on one too (they've been a bit coy on their second project outside of the next Yakuza title) and Virtual On is getting a revival (albeit it being a crossover with a light novel series.)

ghibli99

A new Phantasy Star single-player RPG would easily slot into the category of 'amazing' for me. :)

Edit: And I like that first 2-second video. Looks slick and I like the sound.

Xiao Hu

Reaaaallly digging this new jingle.

I would love to see SEGA back in their former form. Not necessarily as a hardware manufacturer but at least being able to provide the diverse catalogue of games they used to. I think this might be the right direction for a future where digital platforms become more and more important, perhaps using opportunities for M&As is the next step to rebuild their marketshare
Capcom looks deliciously cheap

ArjanN

E3 should be interesting.

This year the lowest rated Sega game has been Dawn of War 3, the highest rated is Persona 5. If you want to exclude those two because they're not traditional Sega developers you're still left with Yakuza 0, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Hatsune Miku in the 80s on Metacritic.

We've got Sonic Mania coming with accurate classic Sonic physics. Further Yakuza games are being localised and the PC port initiative is going full steam (pun intended) ahead. We might even be seeing Shenmue 1 and 2.

I don't think it's fair to say they havent been releasing good games or have been treating their fans like nothing, not in recent times at least. You'd have a point if this was 2014 but recent developments at the company paints a different picture.

Pretty much. Sega has actually been very solid in recent years.

LordKasual

Banned

Sega has always been good at publishing hits. But as 1st party developers? Nah. I don't care about how many times they port their old hits to revive the cash flow either. And for every great game they publish that earns them bank (Persona, Hatsune, Yakuza), there are just as many amazing titles from developers that they leave in the dust (Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta), or they just flat-out ignore entire regions.

But all of that aside...I will never forgive Sega for how they treated the Phantasy Star Online/Universe/Portable playerbase. Not even going to go into details, but if you ever played PSOBB or especially Phantasy Star Universe, then you'd understand just how surprisingly few fucks Sega gives about its playerbase. If you think being a Sonic fan has been tough...boy.

The whole thing about "Sega of America" vs. "Sega of Japan" is bullshit too, i hear that crop up alot. The whole company has historically been really fucking grimy. It's a pity they have such a good eye for publishing habits.

Zukkoyaki

Sega (and Atlus) have been on fire lately... Persona 5, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Yakuza 0, Project Diva Future Tone, PC ports... Good shit, guys! Bring on SMTV, Project: Re Fantasy and whatever goodies Sega is cooking up ^_^

Loona

They should have resurrected Segata Sanshiro.

Blasphemy, he never died - he lives on in our hearts!

They could use a more universal modern-day mascot not associated to specific hardware like Segata or the Sega Hard Girls though, Hiroshi Fujioka won't be around forever, sadly...

I guess they could bring back Taro Sega from Segagaga, he's supposed to be young even back in the game's year of 2025...

Trojan X

Banned
Just to be clear to everyone. That video, the one talking about tracking eye movement and so on, it got nothing to do with games. It's just communicating what they, the ad-agency/creators did to get the SOUNDS in order to create SEGA's new - and rough sounding - new company jingle (below). This is used as SEGA's new Corporate Identity. It got nothing to do with the delivery of new games and so on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LilsZkQkdo

Again. I think SEGA are way off on this one as it's massively unrealistic and disconnected from their fans and core audience. I think this is the wrong message as explained earlier and communicate nothing about fun or what video gaming is all about. No way will this bring people back to SEGA either, in fact, many Japanese find this pretty lame as it doesn't give SEGA the impressive of being a "fun" company. So yup, I'm disappointed with this.

Top Bottom