• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Climax 27 [OT] It's a Real-Life Tournament Arc!!!!!

Dope animated ad for the G1;

Qm0woTQ.gif
Aww, where's Kenny Omega's knees?

Still pretty cool though.

SBlack

Neo Member
So hyped for this. It's my third G1, hoping this will be my first with watching all the undercards as well. Got Naito to win it but can't decide on who he's gonna meet in the final.

Hex

Banned
Suzuki is so awesome because again he looks like a guy that if you walk into a bar and see him, he would be cool as fuck to drink with but if you piss him off like ten guys covered with tattoos would come out of nowhere to beat your ass.
Even more so with Sanada sitting next to him with some A grade casual suit game going on

I've never had any problems watching all of it. I just don't get fatigued on New Japan.

Agree totally.

Even the openers with the lions and the inevitable match with Liger and Tiger Mask and the elders.

Edit: Kenny spitting fire

Hex

Banned
Kenny straight up "Please don't hurt me Mr Suzuki"

Edit : Could not understand Suzuki's response but judging by Kenny's face it was violent

Jashobeam

Tama Tonga is an idiot, yea move G1 tournament to the US and have nothing but gaijins in the tournament, sure, great idea. Why doesn't this fool just go to NXT if he hates Japan so much.

Jamie OD

Kenny straight up "Please don't hurt me Mr Suzuki"

Edit : Could not understand Suzuki's response but judging by Kenny's face it was violent

There's an unofficial twitter account that was translating some of the comments. @TheLionMarks is the handle.

Foggy

Tama Tonga is an idiot, yea move G1 tournament to the US and have nothing but gaijins in the tournament, sure, great idea. Why doesn't this fool just go to NXT if he hates Japan so much.

You familiar with Bullet Club's mission statement?

For those wanting to watch the presser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io3VqY-mkvg

So hyped for this. It's my third G1, hoping this will be my first with watching all the undercards as well. Got Naito to win it but can't decide on who he's gonna meet in the final.

Dude, don't bother. I'm US East Coast so I get up around 6:30 AM or so to catch the G1 matches, then watch the undercards later that day. Unless you are in a place like Australia where it's basically primetime TV for you, you're going to get burned out really quickly.

Be ready for Yano beating Okada to give Okada an easy night.

Did anyone else do the Voices of Wrestling G1 Pick 'em Contest?

Yup, did that one and the one on Reddit too. Same picks in both places. I have Naito winning block A with Ibushi runner up, Omega winning block B with Okada runner-up, and Naito winning the finals.

Syder

The presser intro got me really hyped on Tama Tonga, Sanada and EVIL. I hope those three have some really good matches this tournament and go far.

SBlack

Neo Member
I'm getting the impression i shouldn't try and watch every undercard. I'm pretty certain i wont manage it but i finish work at 1pm everyday so I've got the time to give it a good go

Never watched NJPW like that outside a couple of matches

But can someone explain to me the history between Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi.

I inhabit the world of Tumblr and you can get the jist of what I've heard on that website.

Heroman

Banned
I'm getting the impression i shouldn't try and watch every undercard. I'm pretty certain i wont manage it but i finish work at 1pm everyday so I've got the time to give it a good go
It like 20 3 plus hours shows, it like watching raw every other day.

I inhabit the world of Tumblr and you can get the jist of what I've heard on that website.

They used to be a tag team in DDT called Golden☆Lovers - there's a synopsis here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...n_lovers_the_saga_of_kenny_omega_kota_ibushi/

Not mentioned is how surprising it was that a match from DDT got "Best Bout", which is very impressive, so people are understandably hyped for another.

It like 20 3 plus hours shows, it like watching raw every other day.

Except it will actually be good.

They were a tag team named Golden☆Lovers in the promotion DDT. There was an implied homosexual relationship between the two. They split up and went different ways, with Omega joining Bullet Club and turning heel. They have hinted at the feud coming up in the past https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cpaC7c_Rdc and it seems like they are going ahead with it now https://twitter.com/UnderhookDDT/status/885541019348946944

Someone made this video about them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7jJ5Qdfxug

Seeing this stretch and carry over years has been awesome. It is kind of hard to summarise their whole history.

Top Bottom