• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

master15

Still my all-time favourite videogame. I can't quite fathom the amount of hours I've invested in the series, in between replying both games countlessly (Although not so much in recent years as it's too painful) and interacting with the community at Shenmue Dojo.

I really hope something to move the series forward happens at GDC but if we get more information and insight into the development, at this stage I've partially made my peace with the state of the franchise.

7e4gTF6.jpg

IrishNinja

thanks for the love, guys! OP updated with LelouchViBritannia's better banner

I don't think you understand the definition of "reasonable".

i didn't say steelbox with Lan Di rock 'em sock 'em Working Designs-style puppet doll though
out loud anyway

It's pronounced "Shen-moo!?"

i know i've seen otherwise but this is literally how i've always heard it said offline, yeah
aside: i bought the Shenmue hoodie over a year ago, and only local gaffers have ever recognized it, haha

If any of you are man enough, press on this link. If you make it to the very end of the video, i will give you $1000.

CLICK HERE NOW.

well, that was a pleasant eight minutes

ShodanMAN

Subbed.

So, the other night I was in bed thinking about Shenmue, and it occurred me something:

How is it possible that Ryo in Shenmue II travels to China, and all the locals speak Japanese! (English in the US version).
And assuming they all speak those languages in order for the gamer to comprehend, and they are really speaking Chinese, how does Ryo understands and speaks Chinese to them?
Did Ryo's father taught him Chinese?

That actually worked perfectly for me. The first Shenmue was in English, and because I was role-playing as a Japanese character, I understood everyone around me.

As for Shenmue 2, I approached it in a very different way. With the game being in Japanese, it fitted the feeling that I was in a foreign land, away from my (in character) home of Japan.

IrishNinja

So this is all about putting it on the PS4? Would get more support if you made it platform neutral.

honestly, that's the ideal situation, and mostly cause of Cerny's closeness to Suzuki & involvement in Sony/development of PS4, as well as Shu's talk of going after much-desired games, etc. honestly though, i'm pretty sure most fans would take what they could get at this point - i'd pay full price for a Dreamcast part 3 with similar assets to 2 in a bizarro world where that's for sale, heh.

Kikujiro

Best game ever.
A love letter from one of the (if not THE) greatest game developer in existence.

Shenmue's really something special and unique.

stn

I realllllly think the game, if its ever announced, should be released for all consoles. Despite my admiration of the franchise I'd be skeptical of its ability to break even or make a profit. Yakuza is slightly similar to Shenmue and its sold merely decently over in the West. Still, if its somehow announced and PS4 exclusive...well, I'll be getting a PS4 over XB1.

Omikaru

How solid is the emulation compared to nulldc and an actual dreamcast?

Some people have told me that in terms of performance, reicast is actually better than nulldc. Not having an Android device myself, I can't actually test it, so I dunno how accurate this is. I'd like to try it on an Ouya or something and see how it actually fares, but I have no way of doing so right now.

And to be honest, for emulation of Shenmue specifically, with some tinkering I've got better results with DEmul than nulldc on Windows, but neither are perfect.

Some people have told me that in terms of performance, reicast is actually better than nulldc. Not having an Android device myself, I can't actually test it, so I dunno how accurate this is. I'd like to try it on an Ouya or something and see how it actually fares, but I have no way of doing so right now.

And to be honest, for emulation of Shenmue specifically, with some tinkering I've got better results with DEmul than nulldc on Windows, but neither are perfect.

Damn, I wanted to get an iphone, but i may have to reconsider after seeing this.

Are we making stuff for the OP now? I guess I can whip up some avatars or something.

I look forward to seeing your work.

I was obsessed with all Shenmue details prior to it coming out but didn't have a Dreamcast so that was that..... until that Christmas was coming up and my Mum let slip she'd bought me a Dreamcast. Ahhhh! I bugged my Mum and Sister SO much about Shenmue that my sister cracked one day and screamed at me "I'VE BOUGHT YOU THAT STUPID GAME FOR CHRISTMAS!"
I went from shock to extreme happiness in a second. She got me the strategy guide too. I spent all Christmas morning showing my family how you could open drawers and pick up cups. I don't think they got it :lol

On Shenmue II's release date I skipped school and was outside this local indie game shop waiting for it to open. As soon as the owner opened the door I said "do you have Shenmue 2!?" he did but hadnt put his new stock out yet.
As he's doing this I'm talking his ears off about all the Shenmue II facts that I'd learned in Official Dreamcast Magazine (cheaaa!) and I give him a full recap of the first game haha. I guess he liked me or was impressed by my enthusiasm or something because when I bought the game he gave me a free copy of Powerstone 2 and some demos.
I then ran almost the whole way home :lol

NekoFever

On Shenmue II's release date I skipped school and was outside this local indie game shop waiting for it to open. As soon as the owner opened the door I said "do you have Shenmue 2!?" he did but hadnt put his new stock out yet.

I talked the owner of my local import shop into driving to his supplier in London (200 mile round trip) to pick up the Japanese version of Shenmue II as soon as it entered the country rather than waiting the day or two it would take for them to reach him. I was waiting outside the shop that evening for him to get home with the package. Must have looked like a drug deal going down.

Fair play to him for actually doing it, though.

I talked the owner of my local import shop into driving to his supplier in London (200 mile round trip) to pick up the Japanese version of Shenmue II as soon as it entered the country rather than waiting the day or two it would take for them to reach him. I was waiting outside the shop that evening for him to get home with the package. Must have looked like a drug deal going down.

Fair play to him for actually doing it, though.

Haha man that's awesome, I too can definitely relate to that lack of patience. I imagine you had to pay him a fair bit...?

There were a few cool indie shops in my hometown but last time I was there every single one had closed down :(
I can't remember the name of one but he let you play any game you were interested in before buying. He was a cool guy. Had a complete Game & Watch collection that he used to display in store too.

Can you guys help me out with something. I'm trying to complete the game (for the first time) and I suddenly can't make any progress. I'm on disk 3.

I completed my first day at the docks, but now I can't seem to advance the story. On the "2nd" day, no one comes to beat me up during the day. I've read a few walkthrough and guides that say that people should show up after lunch, like on the first day, but this isn't happening. I've repeated this day several times now. I've completed the day by meeting the box quota, exceeding the box quota (I delivered 11 when all I needed was 8), and I've even just sat the entire day in the warehouse waiting for the guys to show up, and nothing. I've tried skipping this requirement and just running around the docks at evening/night trying to get the people to show up around Warehouse 17, but no one is there.

I'd like to be able to finally say I've completed the game, but I've done this forklift junk for 3 days now and I've never gotten that sequence to occur. I'm tired of talking to random people on the dock, and I'm tired of wandering around at night hoping for something to happen. Is it possible I just encountered a bug that is preventing any forward progress?

I was obsessed with all Shenmue details prior to it coming out but didn't have a Dreamcast so that was that..... until that Christmas was coming up and my Mum let slip she'd bought me a Dreamcast. Ahhhh! I bugged my Mum and Sister SO much about Shenmue that my sister cracked one day and screamed at me "I'VE BOUGHT YOU THAT STUPID GAME FOR CHRISTMAS!"
I went from shock to extreme happiness in a second. She got me the strategy guide too. I spent all Christmas morning showing my family how you could open drawers and pick up cups. I don't think they got it :lol

As he's doing this I'm talking his ears off about all the Shenmue II facts that I'd learned in Official Dreamcast Magazine (cheaaa!) and I give him a full recap of the first game haha. I guess he liked me or was impressed by my enthusiasm or something because when I bought the game he gave me a free copy of Powerstone 2 and some demos.
I then ran almost the whole way home :lol

love this. sounds like me.

Can you guys help me out with something. I'm trying to complete the game (for the first time) and I suddenly can't make any progress. I'm on disk 3.

I completed my first day at the docks, but now I can't seem to advance the story. On the "2nd" day, no one comes to beat me up during the day. I've read a few walkthrough and guides that say that people should show up after lunch, like on the first day, but this isn't happening. I've repeated this day several times now. I've completed the day by meeting the box quota, exceeding the box quota (I delivered 11 when all I needed was 8), and I've even just sat the entire day in the warehouse waiting for the guys to show up, and nothing. I've tried skipping this requirement and just running around the docks at evening/night trying to get the people to show up around Warehouse 17, but no one is there.

I'd like to be able to finally say I've completed the game, but I've done this forklift junk for 3 days now and I've never gotten that sequence to occur. I'm tired of talking to random people on the dock, and I'm tired of wandering around at night hoping for something to happen. Is it possible I just encountered a bug that is preventing any forward progress?

Copied from a Shenmue guide found on Shenmue Dojo:

What happens is on the second day of work the Mad Angels Free-Battle that is
supposed to happen doesn't. This means you can't progress and you're stuck on
that day until you restart disc 3 (or in several tragic cases, readers of this
FAQ and visitors to my website have had to start the entire game again only to
have it happen again) or you use this method which will work no matter how many
times you've repeated the day:

The scene you need won't be triggered unless you approach the area with warehouse
3 in it from the correct side, which is the side with the white van on it. Take
the route along the long road where the forklift races start and past the white
van into warehouse 3. Keep going there this way and coming back to the crates this
way and you should get into the desired fracas at about 4pm.

I've had this happen multiple times before I learned there was a "correct" route that prevented the bug from occurring. Good luck :(

Elija2

Wasn't Shenmue HD confirmed to be a XBLA release? If so where is it?

It was never officially confirmed, although there were rumours that SEGA were indeed planning for it. Here's a post on GAF about why it was supposedly shelved, although I don't know how trustworthy it is (I myself believe it):

Afaik, it's mostly due to legal/copyright reasons.

back in '12 you may remember that Sega went into a port spree. JSR, Nights...they thought it was a great idea, with very low risk and nice proft potential since, well, they don't want to fund traditional AAA anymore. Multiple ports were in development, among them was the canceled Skies of Arcadia port.

Shenmue case was special since not many people know this, but apparently the engine for both games uses licensed technology. It's not Bink Video or Sofdec codecs, apparently it's related to the very own engine.

Well, the thing is, according to what I've been told, the owner of those technologies folded years ago, and it's not clear who owns the copyright now.

Someone shown Sega a working Shenmue prototype for Xbox 360...but after disappointing sales by JSR and Nights, they didn't care enough to bother with the legal hassle. So it never went through the prototype stage, and the Skies of Arcadia port was canceled.

And I guess my dream of getting Model 3/later arcade games ports went to shit as well ;(

NekoFever

Haha man that's awesome, I too can definitely relate to that lack of patience. I imagine you had to pay him a fair bit...?

There were a few cool indie shops in my hometown but last time I was there every single one had closed down :(
I can't remember the name of one but he let you play any game you were interested in before buying. He was a cool guy. Had a complete Game & Watch collection that he used to display in store too.

£60 or so. Par for the course for import games from a shop at the time.

Shenmue fans check this out.

Deepthroat over at the Shenmuedojo has been testing out Ryo's character model using the unity engine.

Press on the link and see what you think. It may take a little while to load but its awesome.

For some reason it doesn't work in my chrome browser, so i loaded it up with firefox. It might be different for all you guys though.

SHENMUE UNITY ENGINE TEST

Move using the keyboard arrows
run by holding left shift down
look around by holding the space bar.

Is it sad that I enjoy this demo of Ryo running around? Jokes aside, I like the weight and momentum emphasized here. It is MUCH MUCH better than the original game and surprisingly controllable.

Now.... is it TOO much to ask for a fan made Unity port from the original games here? I like this new animation system, especially when further refined.

I'll always remember the SCREESCREESCREE sound of my DC during load screens and especially playing those streetside Plinko games for HOURS. Seriously, I was telling the motel owner I was broke when really I had spent the last 12 hours dropping marbles.

Coxy

Top Bottom