• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX (PS4) |OT| The Place I'll Return To Someday

Shanaynay

They did fix the missing monster sound effects for this version. Doesn't look like anyone's mentioned this. Hopefully some other sound and animation bugs are fixed. Eyes still stay opened when casting though.

Also. I didn't brag enough in the previous thread so I'll post this again lol. Got it on my first try this morning after 3 hours of not getting passed 330 yesterday.

ckY0Dmw.jpg

"Peeling 1,000 onions makes your eyes teary. Jump-roping 1,000 times gets them tearier still."
-Onionmeister

Damn son, congrats.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Yep. I remember last time I played this (on PSX, not the PC version with speed boosts) I stole so much that by the start of disc 3 Zidanne's Thievery skill was doing 9999 damage. Great for beating
Ozma

Also PSA for first timers on how to get a very OP skill: Zidanne has a skill called "Thievery" which attacks for "Number of Total Steals Throughout Game x Zidanne's base speed" and it costs like next to nothing MP to cast. So stealing is not only getting you free items (and weapons/armor from bosses much sooner than it becomes available in stores) .. but it's also powering up your super un-blockable attack slowly but surely.

If you don't steal from enemies, the attack will do very low damage, the key is to keep stealing.

Thievery's attack is also range independent so it can hit enemies regardless of height, elevation or position on the field.
It fucking wrecked Ozma's shit.

Wow. I never knew about this move. Might as well max it out while killing 10,000 enemies. I think his base attack will be more than enough for Ozma at level 99 anyway but why not be even more overpowered lol.

Scotia

Banned
E8ZwVmR.jpg

Just finished it. Absolutely amazing game and still one of my all-time favourites. Tempted to play it again tbh but I'll probably wait a while. Now I eagerly await VIII on PS4.

Triple dipping due to the enhanced character models and price - worked out nice I did a free trial of PSN+ to play Destiny 2 Strikes, and it gives 20% off FF IX with PSN+

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yikes, what's with the framerate in the overworld?

I may be mistaken, but it's because the game on PS1 originally ran at like 15~20 or so FPS during the over world parts. IIRC it's 30 FPS "indoors" with the static image backgrounds, 15~20 in the over world and also 15~20 during battles.

On PC, people put out quick and simple mods to increase the frame rate, I doubt that's gonna happen with this port.

ZangBa

I just love modern gaming's fascination with taking old classic games and somehow fucking them up with ridiculous bugs that shouldn't exist. Ugly ass UI, music resetting, ass movement control. Just fuck my shit up, Square.

So many things I don't like about this release

- Unremovable grey bars
- Analog movement
- UI changes
- Music bug
- Overpriced

Still bought it. Still loving it. I know, I'm part of the problem and the reason why Square feels entitled to act this way. I can't loosen the grip they have on my childhood.

I've been feeling burnt out on modern games a bit and this is the perfect tonic. Now in my 30's and thinking about my mortality more, the themes of the game just feel right. I needed to play it right away.

One thing I won't stand for is the jump rope. Fuck that noise. And I'm not someone that shies away from ridiculous mini-games. I got all the celestial weapons powered up in FFX both on the PS2 and the PS4 re-release. I'm almost glad I'm so bad at the jump rope as to give up easily. The problem with the lightning/butterflies/chocobo race was that I knew I could do it if I put in enough time.

God the music in FFIX is sublime. Probably my favourite cast for how well rounded it is as well. Just at the Ice Cavern so far but having a blast. I love how a story that has such dark and heavy turns is also filled with such levity and joy at times. What a game.

They did fix the missing monster sound effects for this version. Doesn't look like anyone's mentioned this. Hopefully some other sound and animation bugs are fixed. Eyes still stay opened when casting though.

Also. I didn't brag enough in the previous thread so I'll post this again lol. Got it on my first try this morning after 3 hours of not getting passed 330 yesterday.

ckY0Dmw.jpg

"Peeling 1,000 onions makes your eyes teary. Jump-roping 1,000 times gets them tearier still."
-Onionmeister
I just finished college and got a full time career and I'm more impressed by what you just did.

Jeels

How are people handling the trophies. I won't get to play this until December...I hope they patch then or something.

brainslug

ckY0Dmw.jpg

-Onionmeister

You are a god.

I managed to get 100 jumps yesterday, it took me about 2-3 hours. I won't even bother trying to get more jumps. Absolutely appalling mini game.

Well, now I can finally progress with the plot today. :D

Despite all the issues with this port, I just bought it. Final Fantasy just means too much to me. Especially the PS1 generation of games.

Going for the platinum in spite of never completing the game 100% before.

I'll go for the jump rope trophy. I'll report back when I manage to get it, if I ever manage to get it.

kaitain19

The analog movement is terrible. Perhaps SE will patch this in the future?

The only penalty for using the max Gil cheat is disabled trophies, right? Since I don't particularly care about them, I'm considering just activating this cheat for my playthrough.

BigEmil

ckY0Dmw.jpg

-Onionmeister
You have one of the rare legit trophies hardly anyone will get. Should be printed and posted on your wall. GG

IIRC, it was typical practice by Squaresoft in the 90's/early 00s to junk most of the individual assets to a game once it was completed. Most of the pre-rendered background material for all three PSX FF games were amongst the assets destroyed. Such typcially shortsightedness by the company if true, such a shame...

Wasn't that typical practice by every Japanese game company back then?

sotojuan

The analog movement is terrible. Perhaps SE will patch this in the future?

The only penalty for using the max Gil cheat is disabled trophies, right? Since I don't particularly care about them, I'm considering just activating this cheat for my playthrough.

Feel free to do it but I found that getting the 10k from nobles is very easy in this version and then that gives you enough money to do the Cotton Robe trick. I have almost 100k gil in the beginning of disc 2 and I didn't even do the trick that much.

N7.Angel

FFIX is my favorite FF of all time, I really want to dips an another time but I know Square ports are usually crap, is this one better or they're still broken stuff in it ?

Not playing, but just to ensure you are all enjoying Melodies of Life. Such a great piece of music. I whistle it to my little boy these days. It has been fucking 16 years since the last time I beat it.

SilverArrow20XX

Wasn't that typical practice by every Japanese game company back then?

Not just Japanese. Western countries were really bad about stuff like that too just a couple decades earlier. Look at all the missing Doctor Who episodes. They aired, made their money, and BBC figured there was no more use for them. Thinking of the future wasn't really even considered.

TannerDemoz

Can see why this is Uematsu's fav score. Ice Caven is incredible and that nod to ffvii with rufus' ceremony is great - and I've barely scratched the surface.

this is my first and most beloved FF i ever played once it was released back then....

i still have my PS1 version and i'm still ready to play it any now and then, and i remember the first days i bought ps2, i used backward compatibility + smooth mode to enjoy replaying the game in a bit of higher textures , but trophies here are tempting to prove %100 completion , and no random fights mode can add more value to enjoy explorations everywhere ...

nothing to add from my reply , but i wanted to share my feeling regarding this gem that was once covered by the greatness of VII and VIII by their advance era and nomura style , but later it shined greatly maybe due to the disappointment of some people from XIII and afterwards

but that doesn't means that IX was any less than them , but it took some time to be appreciated by others i guess

SilverArrow20XX

Thanks to all the responses to my Hail to the King trophy. My ego is now stoked enough to have me in full throttle mode for the Platinum lol.

I'm at the part where
Ramuh
gives you parts of a story. I think I noticed it on my last playthrough too, but I forgot about it. This is a story from Final Fantasy II. Of course, no western players would have known this at the time.

So many things I don't like about this release

- Unremovable grey bars
- Analog movement
- UI changes
- Music bug

I thought I'd react strongly to all of these things, but believe it or not the only thing that's really tripped me up so far is that choosing "Continue" always defaults to the last auto-save, and that the game doesn't keep an auto-save when you manually save.

Alucrid

Banned
I thought I'd react strongly to all of these things, but believe it or not the only thing that's really tripped me up so far is that choosing "Continue" always defaults to the last auto-save, and that the game doesn't keep an auto-save when you manually save.

wait so if you do a manual save it deletes the auto save?

SilverArrow20XX

I'm not sure. It auto saves so often, I've never had it load all the way back to a manual save. I even restarted once in the middle of the Hunt Festival, expecting the autosave to be at the beginning of the hunt, but it started me basically right where I quit with 8 minutes left. It might even save every time you change screens.

I kind of like it because you can just force close and reload to retry one time only minigames, and it lets you immediately retry bosses.

If you select "continue" from the title screen, it loads the auto-save.

Even if you manually saved since the auto-save, if a new auto-save hasn't been created, it'll kick you back to before your manual save.

I had to reload the game once because of this (I lost a bit of grinding progress in the overworld because the auto-save was many random battles behind my manual save) and found it to be a really odd save implementation.

Unai

I'm not sure. It auto saves so often, I've never had it load all the way back to a manual save. I even restarted once in the middle of the Hunt Festival, expecting the autosave to be at the beginning of the hunt, but it started me basically right where I quit with 8 minutes left. It might even save every time you change screens.

I kind of like it because you can just force close and reload to retry one time only minigames, and it lets you immediately retry bosses.

That's exactly what happens.

ckY0Dmw.jpg

-Onionmeister

Fuck your King of Jump Rope!

Nemesis_

I feel like the game has glitched out on me or something.

I'm trying to steal the Gold Helm from the Antlion boss, but I have been attempting to steal for about fifteen minutes (using super speed) and I am unsuccesful. I've never had this with a boss before?!

I'm trying to steal the Gold Helm from the Antlion boss, but I have been attempting to steal for about fifteen minutes (using super speed) and I am unsuccesful. I've never had this with a boss before?!

Some of the steal rates are ridiculous. Wiki is saying the Gold Helm is a 6.25% chance.

Schneider

I've felt the rng has some problems too, mining for 'the one ring' achievement took me three hours, on the speed boost mode, where previously it's taken me less than half an hour :(

Nemesis_

After the (Disc 2 spoilers)
visit to Lindblum following the Atomos Attack
can you revisit? I accidently said I was ready to move on but didn't get to visit the Synth shop to look at new stuff. :(

Have I missed much? I feel so stupid

SilverArrow20XX

After the (Disc 2 spoilers)
visit to Lindblum following the Atomos Attack
can you revisit? I accidently said I was ready to move on but didn't get to visit the Synth shop to look at new stuff. :(

Have I missed much? I feel so stupid

There's the Exploder weapon for Zidane which is a nice upgrade from the Ogre. Other than that, just a bunch of accessories. They can all be gotten later. One of the accessories teaches Thundara though, so you can save time teaching Vivi all the -ara spells by using that with the Freeze or Fire staff.

Nemesis_

There's the Exploder weapon for Zidane which is a nice upgrade from the Ogre. Other than that, just a bunch of accessories. They can all be gotten later. One of the accessories teaches Thundara though, so you can save time teaching Vivi all the -ara spells by using that with the Freeze or Fire staff.

I think I've only missed Exploda. Vivi already knows all the Level 2 spells so that's not a big deal either. I'm more just worried I've missed some NPC interactions that'll lock out some quests or side events later on in the story

Gold Helm is nothing, NOTHING, compared to the Fairy Flute.

If they fix the music glitch I'll gladly pay for this.

I'm not gonna let the soundtrack get ruined for me because I keep hearing only the first 10 notes of every song.

SilverArrow20XX

I think I've only missed Exploda. Vivi already knows all the Level 2 spells so that's not a big deal either. I'm more just worried I've missed some NPC interactions that'll lock out some quests or side events later on in the story

There's a Mognet letter from Ruby saying she's desperate for recruits for her theater troupe. You may have got this on the way in. After the scene with Cid, but before you leave by talking to the guy, there's an ATE if you go South one screen. You can also find Lowell in the Theater district (the Tram is fixed after talking to Cid) and tell him about Ruby's troupe.

So you've missed the ATE trophy if you didn't get that. Don't think the Lowell thing does anything though. It's just a funny scene.

Nemesis_

There's a Mognet letter from Ruby saying she's desperate for recruits for her theater troupe. You may have got this on the way in. After the scene with Cid, but before you leave by talking to the guy, there's an ATE if you go South one screen. You can also find Lowell in the Theater district (the Tram is fixed after talking to Cid) and tell him about Ruby's troupe.

So you've missed the ATE trophy if you didn't get that. Don't think the Lowell thing does anything though. It's just a funny scene.

I think I already missed the ATE trophy anyway, but that sucks! Welp. Thanks for your help :)

I love this game, I feel like I'm cheating a bit using the time speed modifier but it just makes everything so much more manageable. I tend to disable it during boss battles though, I like to enjoy them to their fullest.

Top Bottom