• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Maxis Studio head Lucy Bradshaw comments on SimCity launch mess and online stuffs

GlassBox

Banned
Heh, somehow Polygon keeps getting her story first: http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/9/4081464/simcity-interview-ea-maxis-lucy-bradshaw
(long article, so I can't post the whole thing of course) New news, new thread. Not that many will believe her, and no doubt less will like what she has to say.
In an email interview with Polygon this evening, Maxis general manager Lucy Bradshaw says the entire studio — with additional help from across Electronic Arts — "has been against this challenge 24/7, working in shifts since the moment issues were being reported by our community." Additional SimCity servers are being deployed to bear the load, but simply adding more hardware will not fix the game's current problems.

"We have teams producing new servers, but we've identified that many of our issues were related to how [SimCity's] GlassBox [engine] managed the vast amount of simulation data through its database," Bradshaw explained. "We've addressed that and we've seen an 80% decrease in connectivity or responsiveness issues.

"Still, 80% is not good enough and so we are continuing to aggressively address this area."

Bradshaw said Maxis expects to see "great stability in the game" this weekend. Added server capacity, along with software improvements, is resulting in positive progress, she said.

Participation in SimCity's beta, Bradshaw said, along with other "demand metrics," helped determine how many servers Maxis estimated it needed at launch. But the release of SimCity this week brought with it unexpected demand and unforeseen technical challenges. Maxis' estimates were too conservative, it turns out.

"What we underestimated was a huge surge in pre-orders within the last week and the power of the great word-of-mouth created by the media and our community," Bradshaw said.

It wasn't just the number of players either, Bradshaw explained, as SimCity's servers performed differently once the game was released to the "wild ecosystem of live operations."

"We test and work out the capacity load of each server in load testing and through our beta events," she continued. "We have seen play behavior and load in areas that have stressed our game server [databases] in ways that we did not experience in Beta or Load Test.

Upon release, Maxis discovered that player capacity per server wound up being lower than anticipated in a live environment, Bradshaw said. The developer has applied fixes and optimizations, both on the client and server side, to address that.

What Maxis can't do, despite fan requests, Bradshaw said, is simply strip out the always-online architecture of the game.

"An online interconnected world has been part of our design philosophy since day one," she said. "It's the game that we've been wanting to create since SimCity 4 as we've wanted to explore the dynamics between cities as they exist within regions. Real cities don't exist in bubbles; they specialize and trade resources, workers and more.

"With the way that the game works, we offload a significant amount of the calculations to our servers so that the computations are off the local PCs and are moved into the cloud. It wouldn't be possible to make the game offline without a significant amount of engineering work by our team."

"Lastly, crisis brings out the best in Maxis. Everyone here put their hearts and souls into this game — it was an incredibly proud achievement to deliver the game we'd always wanted to build. To see it have these problems, and incite the community reaction that is has, has been heartbreaking for every single one of us. I'm incredibly proud of my team because they care so much about the people that play their games.

"Our team is working around the clock because they love SimCity and they want everyone to be able to play the game we intended them to experience."

Asked what she'd say to SimCity fans who can't play the game they purchased, Bradshaw pleaded to them, "Stick with us."

"Some of you have been fans of Maxis and SimCity for more than 20 years, through good times and challenging times like now. We love what we do and once this is behind us we hope that you'll see a great game created by passionate people."

Mrbob

Guess that internal memo of working with the media to run damage control rang true.

Protect the 9.5.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
"Real cities don't exist in bubbles"?

Good call. They exist in 2km squares

Nice.

Honestly, with the PR they've had on this game since day one, it seems like somebody over there is more concerned with making Sim City a message game than anything else. Remember the announcement of Sim City with all their weird philosophy and environmentalist talk, and bringing people up who didn't have anything to do with games?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Glass box engine

Lucy Bradshaw is that you?

WUH OH

i8VLwKx37S8e.PNG

massoluk

Banned
"It can't go offline, we offloaded shits to our servers."
"We decided to offload shits to our servers, and now they overload the servers to crash."

DocSeuss

The idea that cities work with each other and stuff is, I suppose, an interesting one, but they could have gone about this in so many different ways (like, y'know, a multiplayer mode).

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Nice.

Honestly, with the PR they've had on this game since day one, it seems like somebody over there is more concerned with making Sim City a message game than anything else. Remember the announcement of Sim City with all their weird philosophy and environmentalist talk, and bringing people up who didn't have anything to do with games?

What weird philosophy and environmentalist talks? I haven rapid attention to the game's development, but I may be interested in this.

The official announcement took place on March 6, 2012

Takes about a month to get GAF account approved.....

Poster has also started threads about Oakland and BART...

a0a99acf-08ed-4c8d-b900-38b1a4d8043b_zpsc120a011.jpg

Maxis is based right by Oakland. (Emeryville).

BobLoblaw

Banned
If you're going to make accusations against people it's a good thing to have.
Username: Glassbox
SimCity engine name: Glassbox
Multiple threads touting how EA is handling "overblown" issues.

That's enough to know that even if it's not an EA employee, it's someone running damage control. Any reasons why a normal poster would post multiple threads in such a short time-frame defending what is clearly the worse launch in history? I can't think of any.

Valnen

The official announcement took place on March 6, 2012

Takes about a month to get GAF account approved.....

Poster has also started threads about Oakland and BART...

a0a99acf-08ed-4c8d-b900-38b1a4d8043b_zpsc120a011.jpg

Maxis is based right by Oakland. (Emeryville).

I live in California too. Guess I'm a Maxis employee!

Valnen

Weirdly worded question that sounds like its from someone at least that worked on the game,

Even I admit that's pretty damning. At least there's no rule against people from game studios posting here. For some reason some people don't like that, though.

Top Bottom