• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain Revealed on Next Week's GTTV

StuBurns

Banned
Lion Heart said:
Call me optimistic but I am hopeful that we will see GT5, Trico, HR, and UC2 this year. The only one that worries me is Trico. Oh and MAG....:lol
Coming out this year?

That'd rape my bank balance, and leave Sony pretty much barren for a couple of years.

iamcool388 said:
I'm kinda worried about its controls scheme. I dunno how easy it will be to get used to it. I'll need a long ass tutorial for this game. :lol

I wouldn't worry about it. If the Fahrenheit tutorial was anything to go by, Heavy Rain's will be great.

Shurs said:

Before we signed Omikron with Eidos, we started developing a prototype on PlayStation 1. We presented it to a certain major publisher at the time who was very interested -- we had a city in realtime 3D running on PS1 in 1995. We did not sign the game with them because their CEO told us that PlayStation 1 would be dead in six months and that they would rather develop on PC. We were stupid enough to listen to him and work on a PC prototype that became Omikron. The CEO left the company a little bit later -- and this publisher left the industry.

Any guesses who this publisher was? Acclaim?

StuBurns

Banned
RavenFox said:
Well E3 might just satisfy the coming year :)
Yeah, maybe.

Even though everyone seems to think this will be the longest generation, it seems like it's going to be the shortest. Last generation we seemed to get two iterations of an IP (very generally speaking). Two GTs, two Metal Gears, two Final Fantasy's, two God of War's, two Halo's etc.

This generation, with the insane development times, it seems impossible that this could happen again. When GT5 is out, it seems like they'll have to start GT6 for PS4 because the development times will be even longer.

If we've not going to get these additional iterations, this generation is going to suck balls in about two years.

(sorry for the rant, it was on my mind)

RavenFox

Banned
stuburns said:
Yeah, maybe.

Even though everyone seems to think this will be the longest generation, it seems like it's going to be the shortest. Last generation we seemed to get two iterations of an IP (very generally speaking). Two GTs, two Metal Gears, two Final Fantasy's, two God of War's, two Halo's etc.

This generation, with the insane development times, it seems impossible that this could happen again. When GT5 is out, it seems like they'll have to start GT6 for PS4 because the development times will be even longer.

If we've not going to get these additional iterations, this generation is going to suck balls in about two years.

Well wouldn''t that mean this gen should last longer to get your dollar worth out of the hardware? I'm sure some new ip's will make it to E3[well for PS3] anyway. Kazunori Im sure will add content as the months roll by keeping the game fresh and GT fans happy. The dev time is taking longer but I think that's to be expected with the hardware.
You rant is all good :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
stuburns said:
Yeah, maybe.

Technically we are getting two FFs though ;)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
stuburns said:
That is true, and thank god.

Though, we're going from 2 KHs to most probably none.

Handhelds picked that slack up, but you're right. Software output has definitely taken a hit this generation.

230.jpg

I'm a bit concerned with this picture. I hope there's no angels and that kind of stuff in Heavy Rain

WinFonda

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not particularly sure how much they'd know, but one of the mods at PlayFire said that NCSoft will be making a PS3 announcement at E3.

For the love of all that is holy please be Guild Wars 2. It makes too much sense.

And since we're kind of fanning the flames of speculation here, GamePro recently did a feature detailing The Best Upcoming PS3 exclusives. It's a very vanilla list, but God of War III has an interesting tidbit attached to it:

1. God of War III

When you'll get to play it: 2009, exact date will be announced at E3 2009

They're being quite specific and firm here - which is uncharacteristic if you read the rest of the entries in the article. Do they know something we don't? Maybe. The only thing keeping me from believing a 2009 release date for GOWIII is just how crowded the calender is going to be.

WinFonda said:
For the love of all that is holy please be Guild Wars 2. It makes too much sense.

The two games that Sony should want from them are Guild Wars 2 and Aion. I'm not a MMO fan but I got into the Aion and beta and it's pretty damn amazing.

StuBurns

Banned
Callibretto said:
http://media.1up.com/media/03/7/1/4/lg/230.jpg[IMG]
I'm a bit concerned with this picture. I hope there's no angels and that kind of stuff in Heavy Rain[/QUOTE]
They said nothing supernatural in the game.
I hope they were telling the truth.

WinFonda

SolidSnakex said:
The two games that Sony should want from them are Guild Wars 2 and Aion. I'm not a MMO fan but I got into the Aion and beta and it's pretty damn amazing.
Ooooh, I forgot about Aion. It runs on the Crytek engine, right? They could probably get that up and running no problem with their new console technology.

WinFonda said:
Ooooh, I forgot about Aion. It runs on the Crytek engine, right? They could probably get that up and running no problem with their new console technology.

It runs on the original Cryengine.

WinFonda

SolidSnakex said:
It runs on the original Cryengine.
I see. From what I gather the original iteration isn't very hospitable for console development, so who knows if they have code written for the PS3. If they indeed bring it to the PS3 I bet it will be on the new console friendly tech.

RavenFox

Banned
Callibretto said:
230.jpg

I'm a bit concerned with this picture. I hope there's no angels and that kind of stuff in Heavy Rain
Whats wrong with Angels? You don't like the powerful servants of the Almighty?

Darkpen

Banned
Callibretto said:
http://media.1up.com/media/03/7/1/4/lg/230.jpg
I'm a bit concerned with this picture. I hope there's no angels and that kind of stuff in Heavy Rain[/QUOTE]
Most likely simply serves as symbolism more than anything else

wouwie

Looking forward to more info and to the game. Is Badalamenti doing the music again? I adored the soundtrack from Fahrenheit.

wouwie said:
Looking forward to more info and to the game. Is Badalamenti doing the music again? I adored the soundtrack from Fahrenheit.

Much like a lot of things about this game, nothing is known about who will be composing the soundtrack.

jonnyp

Callibretto said:

David Cage has stated several times that there are no supernatural elements in Heavy Rain
like in Fahrenheit

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not to veer off the road too far but a Guild Wars on PS3 would be a big deal to me. I would pay for it if need be since I used to play the first game and it is the only MMO I've ever invested any time in.

Now Heavy Rain, this is a game that sparks interest no matter the size of information released. These kinds of rich story games are so rare and the production certainly is rare. The kind of ambitious presentation are definitely rare.

Just saw this on that 1up page

So when I heard the developers were ready to show their next demo -- the first featuring actual story elements -- I knew it was time to ramp up our coverage for this week's cover story.

So, it looks like we will be getting footage from the real game this Thursday.

Kittonwy

Banned
Shurs said:

This totally reminds me why someone shouldn't get into the gaming industry, way too many costs involved, no assurance of success, projects that can be cancelled on a publisher's whim, so much of a studio's viability is tied to that of the publisher and a publisher's fate is often tied to multiple projects, so little control over just about anything and everything.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
My most anticipated game of this year. That's why I am going to have a media blackout. Don't know if i can resist tho.

huinbs.jpg

Starting this week, they're loosening their grip. We'll have more to share on Friday, but for today, the developers have provided 1UP with the teaser image above showing each of the four playable characters in the game. Poke around online and you may be able to find some clues as to who these silhouettes represent. The upper left image, for instance, looks like Madison, the star of the not-from-the-real-game "Taxidermist" level shown at E3 and Games Convention last year.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174281

The character names that were listed on the poster released a long time ago are Ethan Mars, Scott Shelby, Madison Paige, and Norman Jayden.

heavy-rain-20081211033812858.jpg

heavy-rain-impressions-20081211033055101.jpg

heavy-rain-20081211033818311.jpg

heavy-rain-20081211033911060.jpg

heavy-rain-the-origami-killer-20080820095825771.jpg

heavy-rain-the-origami-killer-20080820095827396.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The guy with the knife looks like he could fit into the second silhouette...?

OT, but re. "all these games coming out this year", I noticed this morning that the God Of War team is still hiring for a couple of (I would presume) fairly key posts, like Senior Level Designer for example. If GoW3 was coming this year, would their team not be at pretty much full capacity now? I really, really doubt it's coming this year.

gofreak said:

OT, but re. "all these games coming out this year", I noticed this morning that the God Of War team is still hiring for a couple of (I would presume) fairly key posts, like Senior Level Designer for example. If GoW3 was coming this year, would their team not be at pretty much full capacity now? I really, really doubt it's coming this year.

isn't it a known fact that gow3 will hit march 2010? it's still fiscal year 2009, like sony said and all gow's before were released in march.

gofreak said:

I dont think the guy with the knife is a playable character though?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kazuma_pt said:
isn't it a known fact that gow3 will hit march 2010? it's still fiscal year 2009, like sony said and all gow's before were released in march.

I think that should be fairly taken as read (as well as the fact that they've been coy about saying anything about its release, like they were with KZ2 last year). But some folks seem to be under the impression that 09 is likely.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They look like they are photographs..i.e. mapped using one of those capture machines.

The other two, and the character we saw in the last demo, look 'hand-crafted' by an artist (i.e. no captured with a fancy camera rig).

I wonder how or if they're going to use the two alongside each other..because there is a difference in visual style that's a bit obvious.

Dedication Through Light said:
I dont think the guy with the knife is a playable character though?

Well, we really don't know who he is. The video of him in it had nothing to do with the actual games storyline.

i asked this in an old HR thread, but noone answered: does this guy look like T-Bag from Prison Break? i think it's the same actor

tbag.jpg

sorry for the DP.

panda21

:-O

the character models look stunning

those scans look like they have to many polygons to be in game, i wonder if perhaps they just use them as a basis and go from scans of the actors to make the models of the ingame characters or something?

also is Angelo Badalamenti really doing the music???

N30RYU

°°ToMmY°° said:
i asked this in an old HR thread, but noone answered: does this guy look like T-Bag from Prison Break? i think it's the same actor

tbag.jpg

sorry for the DP.

080105machinist.jpg

looks more like Christian Bale in The Machinist.

Prothero

Neo Member
wouwie said:

From PlayStation: The Official Magazine (US) November 2008's Heavy Rain preview, with a side bar interview with David Cage:

Who's doing the music, and are there plans to work with Indigo Prophecy composer Angelo Badalamenti again?

CAGE: No, we really enjoyed the collaboration. I was really fortunate in my games bcause we had music from David Bowie in my first game [Omikron], then Angelo Badalamenti second, so who's next?! We want to explore different sound worlds and have different types of emotions from the music, so probably it will be a big Hollywood name that fits the mood of what we're doing.

So, no Badalamenti, unfortunately.

Andvary

°°ToMmY°° said:

sorry for the DP.

I think he looks more like Christian Bale in The Machinist.

9auumh.jpg

Atrophis

Hmm thought none of the areas OR characters we had seen so far were going to be in the final game. According to the Eurogamer preview of the game anyway...

Top Bottom