• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So I just ordered Axon 7 and it's coming Saturday... I have a LG G5 now.. on AT&T.. can I just swap the SIM and it'll just convert over?

Last few phones were always done at an AT&T store as I either needed a new SIM or bought a phone through them.

Jeffrey

So I just ordered Axon 7 and it's coming Saturday... I have a LG G5 now.. on AT&T.. can I just swap the SIM and it'll just convert over?

Last few phones were always done at an AT&T store as I either needed a new SIM or bought a phone through them.

I'm on at&t and I swapped easily with no hassle.

Toki767

My brother and literally came to the same conclusion tonight that we should switch from AT&T to T-Mobile.

Guess I gotta wait until the S8 is out though. No point in getting any other phone currently out.

Jeffrey

My brother and literally came to the same conclusion tonight that we should switch from AT&T to T-Mobile.

Guess I gotta wait until the S8 is out though. No point in getting any other phone currently out.

Check opensignal.com for your area first. T-mobile was finicky for me when I had it a few years ago near me.

Laekon

This. I'm so confused with all the leaks. I'm beyond confused. I just gave up today, I don't care. In a week I'll know what to count on.

But the worst part about seeing all the leaks? It's that I don't know what we are providing in the P10 that's gonna make us go to the next level.

There's no Leica/blurring photos/monochrome ace card this time, it's been used and isn't as exclusive or "groundbreaking" now with a lot of cameras catching up and going dual-lens. There's no bezelless phone, something eye catching. Design is very much similar actually to the P9.

We only have the "faster, more storage" thing going on. It's like a P9S year. I even thought after the Mate 9's 12+20MP camera they were gonna go with an awesome 20+20MP choice or something like that but apparently no it's 12+12 still.

It seems like a mild upgrade from the P9. If you're in the states that's fine there's no precedent there, but in Europe with P9 already here it feels like a gap year. With Samsung going bezelless and Apple supposedly blowing up everything with the iPhone 8 too, I feel like I'm gonna struggle selling these like I struggle now to sell P9.

And even from my costumer point of view, I maintain what I said. I feel slightly disappointed if the P10 is just what the leaks have shown.

The main upgrade I'm looking for is OIS in camera. While the P9 camera seemed to be pretty good it wasn't quite up to the S7/Pixel so I'm hoping the P10 is just a little better. Other then the camera and the changes to EMUI I'm not sure what else they could do. All these bezelless phones just seem unusable. I feel phones have matured fast and their are not a lot of improvements left to be made.

Their line up is out of control though. Sliming it down would really help them focus their marketing dollars and help with profitability. Mate 9, P10 Plus, P10, Honor 8, and Honor 6X is all they need. Pick up Googles OEM business and they would be set.

LeleSocho

Banned
P10 looks also uglier than the P9, unless they have intention of introducing another premium line of smartphones Huawei goofed up this year.

Dang you can snag a used S7 edge for like $350.

Half value in a year.
As expected for any high volume flagship that isn't the iPhone. I got my S7 for 499 instead of 699 last summer. It was 399 by Christmas (not regularly, though).

Phones simply aren't worth the price, especially if it's something that manufacturers and telcos want you to replace every year or two. That's why Chinese OEMs are getting (somewhat?) successful in other territories. You pay 200 bucks less for 90% of the other high-end phones.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
P10 looks also uglier than the P9, unless they have intention of introducing another premium line of smartphones Huawei goofed up this year.

Huawei is definitely gonna drop a Mate 10 towards the end of this year. They normally do 2 flagships a year. (aside with the hundreds of mid/flagship phones)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note do we know why Google is having such problems with stock?

Even if we concede that the Pixel is more popular than they ever dreamed of should they really be having stock problems essentially 5 months later?

Vanillalite

Hasney

Shouldn't you already know Google and be telling us? I always feel like companies who don't have vision have to use a life line to phone a friend or in this case ask the audience.

Biggest search engine in the world with advanced analytics and AI teams can't figure out what people want in phones

Vanillalite

Biggest search engine in the world with advanced analytics and AI teams can't figure out what people want in phones

It's head scratching.

Like Google doesn't know the things people want like better speakers, smaller bezels, and waterproofing?

You can't tell me someone over there doesn't already know this. So why ask us?

Vanillalite

I still think the Pixel 2 gonna suck especially if they are asking for tips.

Feels like you need 2 years out to really make a great design. Hence why we got all of those iPhone 8 leaks 2 years out.

Pixel 2 will be slightly better, but Pixel 3 will be what people actually want.

people want the nexus 6 basically.

And I don't disagree.

Really? I thought the Nexus 6 was a good example of how to destroy a good brand. Make the biggest, ugliest phone possible then price it at double the cost of the previous phone. I don't think a single person I know went from Nexus 4/5 to Nexus 6.

Hasney

Really? I thought the Nexus 6 was a good example of how to destroy a good brand. Make the biggest, ugliest phone possible then price it at double the cost of the previous phone. I don't think a single person I know went from Nexus 4/5 to Nexus 6.

Nexus 6 is what brought me onto the Nexus train. Damn good looking with the blue back. I miss it and probably would be still using it if it had a fingerprint reader.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sometimes it is best to make people feel involved, even if they aren't. Community engagement is great marketing

unless you're ZTE and have no idea what to do with this monstrosity

hawkeye.jpg

Vanillalite

Think they meant in terms of look.

I mean we already know the Pixel pricing is gonna be iPhone like.

More that the Nexus 6 has stereo front facing speakers with minimal bezels and the like.

Jeffrey

tbf I prefer companies that at least attempt different things like ZTE. Seriously if they dump their shitty ass early 2010s janky android skin for something more 'lean and clean', axon 2017 could be another winner.

nexus 6 was the 'reaction' I wish I got with the pixel. Its like 'woah the price hike... but damn this is some hot shit!"

pixel is just 'woah the price and... oh this body...)

Vanillalite

Do we have a date yet for the next Samsung conference or are they waiting for after their MWC shit?

They gotta be sending invites out in the next month for the GS8 event.

Top Bottom