• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
ENZtR.png

(visit the first two threads if you want information about hardware and the launch titles)

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere
PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released
PS Vita general discussion thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

z1TLC.png

Hardware Questions
Q: How big is the Vita compared to the 3DS?
A: Watch this comparison photo or this comparison video.

Q: How long is the battery life compared to the 3DS?
A: You'll get about four hours of gaming from it. You can read a more detailed breakdown here or here. If you're playing a less demanding title or a PSP game it will last longer.

Q: Is the Vita region free?
A: Yes, but you can only have one account activated at a time and online passes are region restricted.

Q: Are memory cards region free?
A: Yes, they are. Yoshida have been telling EU users to import 32 GB cards from the US.

Q: Does the Vita allow TV and Audio Out?
A: The Vita does support audio out, however the launch model Vita does not support video out.

Q: Question, do the thumbsticks click in? Like on a Call of Duty game for running.
A: No.​

Software Questions
Q: Is the PS Vita backwards compatible?
A: You can play some PSP games (see detailed list below). PS1 Classics are not compatible at launch. There are no current plans to make PS2 Classics or PSN games compatible.

Q: Is there a discount for buying the games digitally from the PSN store?
A: There will be some kind of discount. (source)

Q: Will PS+ members get an additional discount?
A: There will be no PS+ discounts in the US for Vita at launch. (source)

Q: Is there some kind of UMD trade-in program?
A: No.

Q: How do I download full games on the device?
A: You can only download games directly with the Vita or transfer them from a PS3. There are currently no other ways.

Q: Is there a way to watch YouTube videos?
A: Yes, there is now a YouTube app.

Q: Can you backup full games from your memory card to your PC using the Vita and the CMA application?
A: Yes.

Q: Is there a way to only backup your Vita save game files?
A: Yes, but it's a bit more complicated. Read more here.

Q: Is there a way to transfer PSP save games to a Vita?
A: Yes, follow the instructions in this post.

Q: Which memory card should you buy?
A:
• No Memory Card: Not even an option. Unless you are buying this thing for one game which doesn't save on memory card.
• 4 GB: If you go full physical, try some demos, get some mini games digital.
• 8 GB: If you go mainly physical, maybe one full digital game on memory cart, mini games, some PSP stuff.
• 16 GB: If you go mainly digital, full games, mini games, PSP games, some music & videos may need some rotation.
• 32 GB: If you go full digital, full/mini/PSP games, music & videos, pull stuff like "disgaea collection, persona collection, final fantasy 1-10 collection"​

Account/Regional Questions
Q: Can I use multiple PSN profiles or different regional accounts on a single Vita?
A: Yes, and you can even use the same memory card. Read this post for detailed instructions.

Q: How do I switch PSN account on my Vita?
A: Read this post.​

PSP Questions
Q: How do I access the PSP emulator settings?
A: While playing a PSP game, press and hold a finger on the touchscreen for a little while. The menu will pop-up, giving you the option to assign buttons to the right analog stick plus more.

Q: Is it true that most PSP games are incompatible with the PS Vita?
A: The list Sony posted here is incomplete. Resourceful NeoGAF members have helped us compile the list below. You can transfer these via a PS3 instead of downloading them from the Vita store. Please notify me if you find any errors in the lists.​

Troubleshooting Questions
Q: My Vita seems to be frozen, when I turn it off it doesn't turn back on or the PS logo flashes blue what do I do?
A: First off, obviously make sure your Vita hasn’t just run out of power, or hasn’t overheated in sunlight (in which case, simply leave it somewhere shady to fully cool). Then, hold down your power button from about 30 seconds until you see the repair menu. Try restarting the system first. If that works, great! It was just a little glitch, everything is ok. If the problem keeps reoccurring when you play a certain digital game, delete it and re-download. Still not working? Follow this guide.​

Compatibility List

Official threads for Vita games
Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PSV) |OT| Play for 10 Million Hours!
Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!
Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita
Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!
MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included
Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition |OT| Because "ultimate" is so 1995.
MotorStorm RC |OT|
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita) |OT| A port of a port, of course, of course
Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth
Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality
Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise
Super Stardust Delta (Vita) |OT| How to Refine Perfection
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack |OT| - Indie Action For Vita Launch
The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton
Touch My Katamari |OT| Touch, Squeeze, and Pinch
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes
Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| Drake arrives at a smaller screen near you!
Unit 13 |OT| Tactical Shooter on the Go (Vita)
WipEout 2048 |OT| Back to the Future

Official threads for Vita apps

Links
Playstation Vita Games: What does this thing have? @ NeoGAF
The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012 @ NeoGAF
Upcoming VITA Games & Apps Throughout 2012 Thread @ NeoGAF
PlayStation Vita Screenshots | OS Level Captures @ NeoGAF
Playstation Vita wallpaper thread | Customizing dat OLED screen @ NeoGAF
PS Vita BC thread of visual effects settings @ NeoGAF
Find a GAFer to play with @ Google Docs (hidden link, quote post to view it)
VITA Newb/N00b Q&A @ NeoGAF

PlayStation Mobile Developer Program (Vita & Android) @ NeoGAF
PlayStation Mobile SDK information @ NeoGAF

Playstation Vita Online Manual @ Playstation.net
Content Manager Assistant for Playstation (Windows) @ Playstation.net
Content Manager Assistant for Playstation (Mac) @ Playstation.net
Welcome to PlayStation Vita @ Playstation.blog
How to Download PSP Titles to PS Vita @ Playstation.blog

Registering access points (used by Near) @ Skyhook
How to Switch PSN Accounts on PS Vita @ YouTube (IGN)
How to Switch PSN accounts EASILY FAQ @ GameAxis Forums

Wallpapers @ Playstation Vita Wallpapers​

The OP is a work in progress. If you feel like anything is incorrect or want to add something, don't hesitate to contact me. Thanks to the NeoGAF community for helping out with the correcting of errors and filling out the FAQ!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Let's fix this thread title:

PS Vita General Discussion Thread |OT4| "There is no point in Vita, and that is exactly what makes it so special"

Jawmuncher

I feel we should start now on the title of the 5th thread...
Nah i'm just joking.

Now how about why does this holiday season feel pretty empty for the vita?
We do at least have 2 big games coming out AC and COD, but I was expecting a lot more announced at E3 for this holiday.

I still haven't finished Gravity Rush yet. After plowing through half of the game, I put it down and haven't picked it up in a few weeks. Motivation to play my Vita again?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
You know you have a trophy problem...

When you are about to start playing Lego Batman 2 on the PS3, while your VITA is about to start it's magically journey of eating electricity for Mortal Kombat Kung-Fu trophy

Ah, multi-tasking and being rewarded for ridiculousness

Jawmuncher

You know I was thinking about Final Fantasy X HD and why we haven't gotten it yet.
Now I know it's a long shot but they should just go and HD X-2 and 12 while they're at it.

Easily sell that for 60. and even a little more with some sort of CE.

Will part 4 be the OT where I finally acquire my Vita?
Hmm... I don't know, these topics move so fast with all the new software...

Motion to add

To the OP?
Yes!

I still haven't finished Gravity Rush yet. After plowing through half of the game, I put it down and haven't picked it up in a few weeks. Motivation to play my Vita again?
Of course! Maybe it'll get me to play more Gravity Rush, too.

You know I was thinking about Final Fantasy X HD and why we haven't gotten it yet.
Now I know it's a long shot but they should just go and HD X-2 and 12 while they're at it.

that idea would fit nicely with that futurauma gif "shut up and take my money"

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The Youtube question should probably be updated to reflect the existence of the Youtube app.

My favorite was actually "The raft that keeps on floating", but with a too negative tagline this thread would turn into shit.

I was quite partial to PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Vita's in its Heaven, All's right with the world".

Of course! Maybe it'll get me to play more Gravity Rush, too.

Looks like it's time to finish this game and get a Plat. I just really wish Technika would come out soon as I'm getting a rhythm game itch and DJMAX Portable 3 can only fill that spot for so long. Damnit! Why could Rock Band Blitz be coming to Vita as well? :(

So can I say it now....?

Yay new thread!! :D

So I'm almost done with UC and need a new game on my vita, I only have HGS, Motorstorm, Littledeviants and UC, What's a good vita game under/at $20??

I would pay $100 for that without a second thought.

So can I say it now....?

So I'm almost done with UC and need a new game on my vita, I only have HGS, Motorstorm, Littledeviants and UC, What's a good vita game under/at $20??
I believe Wipeout is $20 at Walmart? I'd go for that if you want a <$20 game.

This title disappoints the shit out of me. How dare you. I want to migrate back to the old thread.
That ship has sailed, man. Unless you're good at swimming, you'll never be able to go back.

Iacobellis

So can I say it now....?

If you can wait it out, Sound Shapes come out on August 7th on PSN at $15. WipEout 2048 is $20 at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom