• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor Warfighter review codes being sent on day 1?

THIS IS NOT ABOUT REVIEW EMBARGO

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-ep...pisode-229--in-the-garden-of-digital-delights

Skip to 2:18.

"Just want to talk a little about our MoH: Warfighter review. Our review is going up pretty late. EA has decided not to send us copies of the game until the day it ships. If you've watched the show over the last few years, I think you know: BUYER BEWARE, maybe?

"Marcus Beer: The phrase you're looking for is dodgy as fuuuck."

They gave MoH 2010 a 8.1, so can't be some weird blacklisting thing.

Genuine mistake? Any other websites getting the same deal?

UPDATE: Chris Kohler from Wired and Arthur Gies from Polygon have confirmed this.
oYPBo.jpg

Gamespot (Kevin VanOrd) also have confirmed this.

WKJP5.jpg

I don't this is more of a alarm bell then the embargo for AC3 (which is the day before release). It happens often, so I wouldn't start going crazy over it.

MrDaravon

I don't this is more of a alarm bell then the embargo for AC3 (which is the day before release). It happens often, so I wouldn't start going crazy over it.

With AC3 the embargo is going up the day before release. Review embargos going up the day before or the day of release are normal. EA is not even sending copies of this game out to reviewers until they could buy a copy in stores. Huge difference, and 99% of the time that means it's shit.

As far as other places I think I saw Chris Kohler mention this as well on Twitter yesterday, but I can't recall if it was in reference to them (Wired) directly or not.

S1kkZ

holding reviews back until launch is nothing unusual, but sending review copies out on launch day (which means reviews wont go up untill 2-3 days after launch)? like they said, pretty dodgy.

Choc

Banned
It is pretty weird for this to happen. I mean you can even preload on origin now so just let them unlock early?

:\

Wonder what EA's reasoning is.

With AC3 the embargo is going up the day before release. Review embargos going up the day before or the day of release are normal. EA is not even sending copies of this game out to reviewers until they could buy a copy in stores. Huge difference, and 99% of the time that means it's shit.

As far as other places I think I saw Chris Kohler mention this as well on Twitter yesterday, but I can't recall if it was in reference to them (Wired) directly or not.

oYPBo.jpg

This is really weird.

SJRB

Gold Member
This happens pretty regularly. Or reviews are under strict embargo until day of release.

I wouldn't immediately asume this game sucks and that this is a cover-up.

Choc

Banned
Do you? Do you really?

i mean the official company line. They have to have a reason, they wouldn tbe like BECAUSE WE THINK ITS CRAP

edit: oh i just thought of a potential possible legitimate reason.

maybe they have a 'no russian' moment they don't want spoiled. I know that sounds stupid but the mainstream media spoiled the shit out of that before the game came out thus ruined the developers intention.

Its possible, you never know. I would have preferred no russian to not be spoiled (pricks in mainstream media who dont realise what the fuck a spoiler is)

Megasoum

Banned
This happens pretty regularly. Or reviews are under strict embargo until day of release.

What happens regularly is that the embargo will go up to the release date which is fine (well...I think it sucks but it's the norm nowadays). What does not happen regularly is that the reviewer does not actually get the game before release day (especially for a big game like that).

But then again... MOH can be finished in 4-5 hours so I guess they still have time to do the review on day one lol.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh man, reviewers might have to stay up late to beat it.

Oh wait, the game is gonna last like 4 hours like the last one. It will be manageable.

This is not about embargo, it's about review copies being sent to websites so they can have enough time to review it until embargo. Sending review copies on day 1 is pretty unique for big games.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Meh. Can't say I care too much when a site gets review copies. GT has already made up their minds about it given past comments on demos. You are at the complete mercy of publishers anyways. Bitching about like you are not is laughable. Don't like it? Buy your own copies and play it with the rest of us.

sonicmj1

Meh. Can't say I care too much when a site gets review copies. GT has already made up their minds about it given past comments on demos. You are at the complete mercy of publishers anyways. Bitching about like you are not is laughable. Don't like it? Buy your own copies and play it with the rest of us.

I dunno. This is basically the equivalent of a movie not holding advance screenings for the press.

Yup. The game is shit.

There's no other reason. Take it from history.

Spoilers, really? If there was something controversial in it that would gain media attention then you bet your ass that that would have "leaked" by now to build word of mouth.

Kintaro

I dunno. This is basically the equivalent of a movie not holding advance screenings for the press.

I don't really agree since movie reviewers tend to ospoil the fuck out of movies in early reviews. Actually...game reviewers do it too. Not saying spoiler are the reason here.

Either way, I find whenever sites bitch about not getting advance copies they sound like whiny assholes. As if they are entitled to it. Again, know your place.

legacyzero

Banned
It's stuff like this that makes ya glad that you only paid half price.

I find this all suspicious too. %50 off as a premium member? Yeeaaahhh..

Take it from a person involved in game dev: this sort of obsfucation means someone doesn't want reviews hitting until after the game is being sold. You can guess what that means.

I don't really agree since movie reviewers tend to ospoil the fuck out of movies in early reviews. Actually...game reviewers do it too. Not saying spoiler are the reason here.

Dude, is not about you 'agree' or not, is just a common knowledge with movie enthusiasts that:

Not advanced screening to critics = The movie is probably shit

Either way, I find whenever sites bitch about not getting advance copies they sound like whiny assholes. As if they are entitled to it. Again, know your place.

You should work as PR person in EA

Take it from a person involved in game dev: this sort of obsfucation means someone doesn't want reviews hitting until after the game is being sold. You can guess what that means.

That they don't want the internet to think that their good reviews were paid for?

Their "place" is to receive games early for review. Sure they aren't entitled to it but when a publisher goes against standard procedure for a release, you know it's a red flag.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
probably means it's shit... They want to make sure that they get their hype sales before the word gets out that it's average..Thats my take.. If it was so awesome I would put it everywhere early!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
That 360 Beta didn't help spread the positive word, more negative

LOL

I'll get it 1 month later with BF4 access + Best Buy Pre-Order goodies thrown-in for good measure for $29.99 @ BF

Will wait for free on Origin then.

HA!

Survey time Go! Go!

probably means it's shit... They want to make sure that they get their hype sales before the word gets out that it's average..Thats my take.. If it was so awesome I would put it everywhere early!

so does it ease your concerns or gives you unrest =D

Kintaro

Dude, is not about you 'agree' or not, is just a common knowledge with movie enthusiasts that:

Not advanced screening to critics = The movie is probably shit

You should work as PR person in EA

I would rather work with Rockstar. You dictate everything, play sites like fiddles and sites eagerly suck their cocks for it all. Lol

Yes, I know what it usually means but MoH 2010 was a day 1 arrival too because Dice was running late. It still got decent scores and sold 5 million.

Top Bottom