• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Big Trouble in Little NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuiji

Did this show have a different show runner and different writers for every single episode? There seems to be very little consistency throughout. Danny keeps banging on about how its his job to 'destroy The Hand', and then goes about not doing anything even remotely close to destroying anything other than his character.

Am I supposed to sympathise with him? Because I don't. He becomes a whiny rich kid, leaving in a dream land who basically abandons every job he's supposed to be doing because of thinly veiled excuses for being a complete and utter useless twat.

Am I supposed to think that Davos is wrong when he criticises Danny? Because he isn't. Danny wanted to become the Iron Fist, knowing what his one and only job would be. First opportunity to leave and he bails, then beats up the only person calling him out on his bullshit. Why would Davos, the only person on the show who is actually trying to kill/destroy The Hand, suddenly align himself with Gao because Danny slapped him about a bit?

The only bright spot in the show was Colleen Wing, but then they even made her pretty intolerable towards the end of the show. "I live my life by the Bushido, honour and duty above all. So you have to abandon your duty as Iron Fist because booooooooobies!"

Honestly, the idea of seeing more of any of these characters (with the exception of Gao) makes me cringe. Teaming up these Netflix versions of Luke Cage and Danny Rand sounds like a terrible idea. But I guess we'll find an answer to one question, "What happens when two charisma vacuums operate in close proximity to each other?"

Adree

I honestly thought it was going to be revealed that Davos was his lover in Kun Lun. He seemed to be mad jealous at Colleen.

bigmase84

Neo Member
Did anyone else notice the rain dropping off of the camera when Danny rescued Colleen from The Hand's compound?

This whole show is annoying and I'm glad I never have to watch it again. What a crappy ending!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ep13, my feelings havent changed, its not good or bad, it...exists.

Little things annoy me tho, well a lot of things, but even if you dont go deep on changes, even if it was the exact same show, just off the top of my mind:

- you dont want a costume, fine. But at least every time Danny fights, have him take off his damn shirt. Pants and his tattoo showing is all you need to make him look special and not just some...dude.

36190303iron-fist-1447891788608_1280w.jpg

- Davos is horribly miscast, and I like the actor. But everytime Danny towers over him (and Finn is a scrawny guy) it looks ridiculous. I dont care about his race or ethnicity, but he should be the one towering over Danny, he should look imposing, he should sound imposing.

- Give Danny a fucking hair cut and a shave, jesus christ. What, are they afraid people will mistake him for Matt Murdock if he does or something?

Like I said, its just these little things that dont even go into the Buck problem that would make the show better without changing anything from the show structurely (and the show needed a lot of changes mind you, but im not even gonna go there right now cause I need to sleep lol).

I'm on the first episode, but is this show literally just all about Danny Rand scaring, stalking, and attacking people? Is he the villain of his own show?

tumblr_inline_mj1nvt6bPE1rrpsd7.gif

It seems after the first episode, Danny becomes significantly weaker during the course of the series. He went from a high-flying acrobat over a taxi to casually dealing with Rand's security guards to evading Coleen's attacks with relative ease to suddenly being a bitch that can be fought by standard thugs. Meanwhile, Coleen - who -couldn't lay a finger on Danny can suddenly take out Bokudo with relative ease.

The only reason why I haven't truly hated this show is that I feel it is a victim of terrible writing and directing. I myself am ok with the cast, but a good solid plot would be more than enough to take this to a higher level than this mediocrity.

The show is pretty much the epitome of medicore.

It also shows the flaws of how they've decided to do these Netflix shows in pretty start relief as a result. Once again the story that was being told was simply not enough for 13 episodes. Even saying that though, this was probably the worst offender in that I don't think shit show even had enough plot for six. The people in charge of these shows need to know it's OK to not spend the ENTIRE first season on an origin. They also need to understand that it's ok to have relatively stand alone episodes as well. This show needed that, badly.

I also don't understand how you have have a show about a character whose ENTIRE premise is being one of the best martial artists in the world, and get outdone by not only Daredevil, but by shows like Arrow. The fights, with about 3 exceptions were horrible. There are more cuts in the fight than even in a movie like Taken. Serously, watch a random fight and they are cutting around once a second, It was distracting and at no point did it seem like these people were deadly martial arts masters. Hell, the one who felt the most threatening was GAO, and she barely did a thing.

Colleen sucked as a fighter, Danny sucked as a fighter, Davos was ok. Bokudo was pretty lame by the end. The only decent fights were Iron Fist vs Drunken Monkey, Katana vs Wing Chung sword, and Katana duel in the rain. I suppose the big brawl escaping the compound was passable too.

They should have cut like 90 percent of the Meachum plot, because that was, by far the worst part of the series. Ward's actor was horrible in this. I liked him somewhat in Banshee, because his awkwardness served the character there, here it comes off as underacting while put up against his dad who can't stop chewing on the scenery. And not in a happy go lucky jeremy Irons way, more in a dog fucking up your shoes kinda way.

Finally, how sad is it that Claire seems as competent a fighter as Coleen or Danny?

Dunlop

Finally, how sad is it that Claire seems as competent a fighter as Coleen or Danny?

Never read the comics but thought this during their group fight scene.

I thought Iron First was supposed to be the supreme martial artist, but watched 13 episodes of him almost being taken out by jobbers and climaxed with him being knocked on his ass by a 50+ year old wielding a huge ass metal bar (which came right after his pouty session in the car below).

Wish that was my biggest problem with this series. The main character just seems horribly miscast and most of the side characters were forgettable.

Claire was the best part of the show lol

LOCK

I think Davos left to join the hand because of his jealousy. So he played Danny the whole time? The show just didn't convey that well.

Overall it was ok.

mentioned in the OT

the whole Hand thing hasn't made sense to me. Once Claire got into the picture, why didn't she call Matt? Surely he deserves to know if there's more Hand shit going on since daredevil is a sworn enemy

and this also makes me think if Gao has also been Hand all this time, why did she not have a bigger involvement in daredevil's seaon 2? why was she not more affiliated with nobu in season 1?

and I get that they have showed different factions of the Hand, but clearly Nobu's faction is evil as well, so what, there are like 2 evil factions going around in Hand that nobody was aware of?

Jake2by4

mentioned in the OT

the whole Hand thing hasn't made sense to me. Once Claire got into the picture, why didn't she call Matt? Surely he deserves to know if there's more Hand shit going on since daredevil is a sworn enemy

and this also makes me think if Gao has also been Hand all this time, why did she not have a bigger involvement in daredevil's seaon 2? why was she not more affiliated with nobu in season 1?

and I get that they have showed different factions of the Hand, but clearly Nobu's faction is evil as well, so what, there are like 2 evil factions going around in Hand that nobody was aware of?
Even more so, who is the real head of the hand and why would they allow rouge factions to do as they please.

Even more so, who is the real head of the hand and why would they allow rouge factions to do as they please.

I imagine it's going to turn out that there are five heads of the Hand with us seeing at least 3 by the point of The Defenders. I wouldn't be surprised if Elektra was one during her time. Thus, her defection would make it four Heads of Hand vs the four Defenders. Alternatively, Gao's been playing her own game and sits out the fight in Defenders leaving us with Nobu, Bakuto, ???, and ??? vs the Defenders.

I'm 3 episodes but it feels like a crappy CW show right now. Th fights are rarely exciting so far. They don't need wire-fu but holy fuck at the near zero excitement level for a lot of them.

I like Finn Jones. The horribly inconsistent writing has him looking bad, but I think he portrays Daniel well. It's the writers who can't decide who Daniel is.

Colleen is the best character so far. I guess they are capable of creating a good character.

Ward goes from ordering people to kill Danny to back to old friends, but he's still as asshole. Lol ok.

I'm starting to like Joy as well.

I think I am down because I actually had high expectations for this show.

Jake2by4

I imagine it's going to turn out that there are five heads of the Hand with us seeing at least 3 by the point of The Defenders. I wouldn't be surprised if Elektra was one during her time. Thus, her defection would make it four Heads of Hand vs the four Defenders. Alternatively, Gao's been playing her own game and sits out the fight in Defenders leaving us with Nobu, Bakuto, ???, and ??? vs the Defenders.

Starting to think the show runners have no idea what to with the Hand and are just making shit up.

Episode 2 - Danny is shown a 15 year old commercial.

Any advert that old would have been filmed with everything (people and gfx) framed in the 4x3 safe area, given the ubiquitous nature of SD 4x3 televisions at the time. Not 16x9 HD.

Sm8wG2Z.png

Sloppy production work.

Unless it was recorded on film.

So apparently the show ends with a big "twist" ending where Danny and Colleen return to Kun Lun only to find it has been destroyed and everyone killed by The Hand? Lmao. RIP Immortal Iron Fist for S2.

okay I thought that Kun Lun is just gone because the doors have closed.

Volimar

I'd put the quality somewhere around the back half of Luke Cage. Not great, but I was entertained. Joys heel turn makes no sense. You'd think that Danny was the only person she'd feel close to now. Why would she be interested in killing him?

Beefy

The drunk fighters accent was really weird.

The fighting was beyond shit and it felt like nothing had a impact.

The ending of this show was just...

I'm 3 episodes but it feels like a crappy CW show right now. Th fights are rarely exciting so far. They don't need wire-fu but holy fuck at the near zero excitement level for a lot of them.

I like Finn Jones. The horribly inconsistent writing has him looking bad, but I think he portrays Daniel well. It's the writers who can't decide who Daniel is.

Colleen is the best character so far. I guess they are capable of creating a good character.

Ward goes from ordering people to kill Danny to back to old friends, but he's still as asshole. Lol ok.

I'm starting to like Joy as well.

I think I am down because I actually had high expectations for this show.

I think they really succeeded with Ward. in the beginning I just hated him. Then I kinda understood where he is comming from and felt sorry for him being abused by his father and getting addicted to the heroin. The redemption later on really does make sense because Ward isnt portrait as a good person exactly but he has been on the receiving end and wants to end it once and for all.

Also Harold seems to be one of the better Marvel Villains for sure.
mentioned in the OT

well claire could have called up DD in Luke cage and in Jessica Jones as well as she was with all those people. she probably will do that in the defenders

The final shot of the series nicely embodies so much of what's wrong with its approach to the source material: It's supposed to be a big deal that K'un Lun has disappeared, but this has zero impact because we've never actually seen the city and thus have no idea what Danny and Colleen should be seeing there. If the final shot paralleled a proper establishing shot of K'un Lun, or really any proper flashbacks to it earlier in the series, it might actually mean something to the viewer!

Anyway, I blame Marvel for insisting on a gritty, grounded, street-level tone that simply didn't suit the material as least as much as I blame Buck for the execution. I absolutely don't doubt for a second those rumors back in 2015 that they were having a lot of trouble finding a pitch they were happy with, and it feels like they just gave up at some point.

Ward does have a good arc. For the most part, he's the only one in the show who consistently does what someone like him would do. He's messed up from abuse by his father. He's rebellious due to this. He legitimately does care for his sister going as far as to kill his father and later turn Iron Fist in order to protect her. Once he realizes who all the players are and who is willing to do what, he starts making moves again to protect his sister and protect the one other person who was legitimately trying to save her, Iron Fist. Unfortunately, Harold's manipulations mixed with Ward and Danny keeping the secret about her father as well as Ward hiding how far his drug use went broke Joy.

mentioned in the OT

The "rogue faction" thing is presumably meant to explain why Gao seemingly had nothing to do with Nobu or the Hand in DD, but then, shouldn't they have had some kind of antagonistic relationship or at least clear familiarity with each other, beyond their lines of work?

Gao having anything at all to do with the Hand is pretty obviously just a sloppy retcon.

looks to me like there may not be a head of the whole, just heads of the factions.
ould have called up DD in Luke cage and in Jessica Jones as well as she was with all those people. she probably will do that in the defenders
with jessica jones, claire did imply that she could have hit DD up but didn't because JJ explained to her he would've been useless against purple man.

with Luke cage, I think I read somewhere that the events of DD season 2 overlap with Luke Cage

but with Iron Fist, and the Hand, it is a direct tie to DD...she even kept mentioning how she stumbled upon the Hand before. it would've made all the sense in the world for her to hit up Matt. if he couldn't show up because the actor was busy or whatever fine, but they could have shown her attempting to get him in on the action.
The "rogue faction" thing is presumably meant to explain why Gao seemingly had nothing to do with Nobu or the Hand in DD, but then, shouldn't they have had some kind of antagonistic relationship or at least clear familiarity with each other, beyond their lines of work?

Gao having anything at all to do with the Hand is pretty obviously just a sloppy retcon.
if Colleen was under the impression that there is some good in the Hand, then both Nobu's and Gao's factions are evil.

and with the bolded, yes, I agree. I thought whatever cult Gao was a part of was another evil cult, separate from the Hand but now every fuckin body wants to be in the Hand

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Episode 2 - Danny is shown a 15 year old commercial.

Any advert that old would have been filmed with everything (people and gfx) framed in the 4x3 safe area, given the ubiquitous nature of SD 4x3 televisions at the time. Not 16x9 HD.

Sm8wG2Z.png

Sloppy production work.

That could of been such a nice touch if they showed just the corner of the rand icon in the lower thirds. Meaning it was 4:3 clip that was stretched and cropped and zoomed in the way a lot of old tv and commercials are when someone uploads them to youtube.

brawly

That "endfight" on the roof was so bad. The way he kicked the gun out of his hand and just ran away...wtf?

And yet again, no costume. Fucking hell, Marvel.

Wuiji

well claire could have called up DD in Luke cage and in Jessica Jones as well as she was with all those people. she probably will do that in the defenders

That will be fantastic. Then we can have a whole group of people lecturing each other about how killing is bad, and you shouldn't kill the bad guys. You should give the bad guys more and more opportunities to kill everybody else instead, because reasons.

Yado

The scene with Harold killing Kyle was so hammy and out of place. Felt like something from Gotham.

Shut up and die!!
uqZBm6v.gif

If we go to K'un Lun in season 2:

1lppg4.jpg

Only way Danny sucking this bad will ever make sense. I just cannot get over how bad the action in this series was. It's the damn show whose entire focus should be on badass kung-fu. It's like having a flash who can't actually run fast.

woolley

The thing that's bothering me is if Danny owns 51% of the stocks couldn't he just fire the board members and give himself more power over the company?

The thing that's bothering me is if Danny owns 51% of the stocks couldn't he just fire the board members and give himself more power over the company?

Yeah, I was bothered by that too, between Danny, Joy and Ward, they have to have a HUGE majority. How could they be voted out? I can't think of a corporate structure that works that way.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Joys heel turn makes no sense. You'd think that Danny was the only person she'd feel close to now. Why would she be interested in killing him?

Yea I didn't like that. Although she didn't actually agree to having him killed she just said "I'm listening" so perhaps she won't or she will tell Danny about it.

Is Davos right about Danny or what? He becomes the defender of Kun Lun and then dips on them, leaving them unprotected and the next to last scene in the show, we see they've been attacked. You had one job, Iron Fist

Danny's revelation in the last episode is something we knew by the third or forth, that Harold isn't his friend.

Everyone telling Danny not to kill the people he's been trained to kill was very annoying, too

Joy's heel turn? why exactly?

They really had no idea what to do with this adaptation. This dude should have fought a dragon and the show should have showed that to us, instead of just telling us

Should have started with Danny finding out his parents death was not an accident (maybe a trap by the hand) and then he bolts for New York. In this he's just like peace.

LotusHD

Banned
Is Davos right about Danny or what? He becomes the defender of Kun Lun and then dips on them, leaving them unprotected and the next to last scene in the show, we see they've been attacked. You had one job, Iron Fist

Danny's revelation in the last episode is something we knew by the third or forth, that Harold isn't his friend.

Everyone telling Danny not to kill the people he's been trained to kill was very annoying, too

They really had no idea what to do with this adaptation. This dude should have fought a dragon and the show should have showed that to us, instead of just telling us

giphy.gif

Devos will become the Steel Sèrpent. Thats what i get from the ending. I beleive hes gonna go the comic route and steal the Iron Fist powers for himself or try to. I think it was good for what crappy writing they have.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished.

- Sort of underwhelming. The actor who played Danny wasn't .. that .. good. Also, the show had multiple instances of someone calling Danny bad/childish and him immediately following up with a childish whiny retort. Not sure whether this was intentional or not but it was bad either way.

- Claire was the best character in the show, really glad to see her get more of the spotlight and kick ass.

At least the CW shows sell their main characters well before the quality ever drops off.

And I'll take
anyday.

And I pretty much loved all the Netflix stuff besides the back end of Luke Cage.
Even Colleen was great...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom