• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series in which you went from rabid fan to having a casual interest. What lost you?

Arrrammis

Rabid fan of the InFamous series, then Second Son and lack of any sign of new games happened. It's not that Second Son was a bad game, but it retconned almost every impactful choice that happens in the first two games, which really irritates me.

Reki

Tales? Symphonia is still my favorite JRPG, Abyss is great too. I have a PS3, a system with tons of Tales games available for it. Still never got one. From like Graces onwards the games look so unremarkable, like they are the fast food of action rpgs or something. Maybe they lost something since Team Symphonia was disbanded. I'm really interested to play Vesperia(Fuck Namco) but the rest just look blah, especially the last few ones which look like poor men's Xenoblade with those clumsy 3D environments. I remember listening to Zestiria's amazing soundtrack, then I watched some gameplay. How did they go from some of the best dungeons in JRPGs so those huge empty spaces like it was Quest 64 or some shit. Also the characters look like randoms took out of some isekai light novel or whatever. Past games had cool and distinct designs, like you would be interested of getting to know those characters before you even played the game, kind of like FF chars. The modern Tales casts just don't inspire me anything

I was really into Tales of Symphonia and Abyss too but again the series just hasn't evolved in a good way for me.

This so much. Fifteen years ago Tales of was one of my favorite jrpgs series. But the general presentation of the new games does nothing for me (even though I have heard good things about Berseria).

Xenoblade filled that void for me. I'm not too sure how XC2 will be (it looks more like the Tales series, ironically) but I'll be there day 1.

anothertech

Bungie stopped making that game. It got arguably worse. My favorite game in the series had an incredible remake that turned out to be a broken mess of a shtshow and it was over. That's pretty much what happened.

Nere

Fallout and Elder Scrolls games by Bethesda. What happened? Fallout 4 happened, it wasn't a bad game but it was a huge disappointment, they were streamlining features since Morrowind but Skyrim was really good, Fallout 4 though was too much. I was a huge fan of the company now I am cautious with them and will wait for impressions of their next game and then buy it.

goldenpp72

Halo lost me at 4, now I just play them some and move along but I used to really love the series. I loved Reach, thought 4 was just passable and so is 5. I'd also say this applies to stuff like Crash, where Wrath of Cortex was just really mediocre, horrible load times, and then the series went into 'C grade' game status and just never recovered. The trilogy release is the first time I was in love with the series again since.. The original trilogy, so it shows some hope that the formula still works for me.

Sydle

Final Fantasy and it lost me with XIII. I have never been so disappointed with a game in my life.

I bought XV, but have yet to find enough interest to start it and the user impressions I've read are not encouraging.

Magnus

Final Fantasy.

That name meant something at one point. Once the main series quality started to really fall off a cliff (FFXIII onward) and get way too diluted (mid-2000s, when the name started appearing on fucking everything), the brand really lost me. I now know that the name is not synonymous with quality like it used to be. It could get slapped on anything. The mismanaged pile of dung that was XV really cemented that. I downright resent the time I spent with XIII and XV. I'll approach XVI with massively lowered expectations. News about it will now just raise one of my eyebrows instead of both of them. I am still genuinely interested to see what happens next for the brand and the main series, but I'm not frothing at the mouth for it like I did right up until 2010.

Magnus

World of Warcraft - Probably my most played game ever, over ten thousand hours played I guess, but they managed to fuck everything with every single patch and expansion.

I'm honestly curious where this opinion comes from. With the exception of a few major offenders, the dozens of patches over the last 14 years have arguably only made the game better, and raised player Quality-of-Life with each release. How did each patch and expansion fuck everything? Even Warlords of Draenor, arguably the worst expansion, didn't fuck everything. It brought a ton of good for the game, and experimented with a ton of new ideas, many of which persisted into Legion and make that expansion (and therefore, all of WoW) better.

What made you lose interest in 2? Most people like 2 way more than 1.

It lacked everything that I liked about the first game. Also it had very obtuse cases that I'm certain had plotholes within them and the
big reveal of them all being the "Remnants of Despair" absolutely killed the likability of the characters.
. Rather than explain what properly happened after 1, it went off on a tangent. Would of been fine if it was it's own story and didn't try to continue the first game's.

Majmun

Kingdom Hearts

Kingdom Hearts III still hasn't released. I'm not really fan of spin-offs, prequels or in-betweens

Souls. The Bloodborne betrayal.

From Software betrayed their PC fanbase by whoring themselves for Sony cash after the series didn't even get big until the PC port to begin with. If they actually cared about their craft as an art instead of just money they would want it to be on the most powerful platform available instead of shackled to a dumbed down walled garden fake computer.

Their treachery doesn't deserve a penny. I boycotted Dark Souls 3 as well.
I hope this becomes a new copypasta. Also lol at implying the series didn't become big until the pc port.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Mass Effect. I tolerated the general dumbing down of ME2 because it was still a slick product, but ME3 destroyed my investment in the series. EA rushed out a shoddy conclusion to the trilogy and I stopped caring after that, way too many corners were cut for me to believe that EA cared as much as I did.

Fire Emblem - the 3DS entries killed my enthusiasm for the series. Awakening wasn't bad, but was nooooot a fan of the Fates package (especially the shoehorned child concept again). Still think FE7 is the pinnacle of the ones released in America, but I'm prolly in the minority.

Silvawuff

Sonic, for sure. Mania is bringing that spark back, though!

World of Warcraft. I want to love this game but it's been getting harder. I skipped MoP (regretfully) and was heavily disappointed by WoD. Haven't bothered with Legion.

ch4fx_

From Software betrayed their PC fanbase by whoring themselves for Sony cash after the series didn't even get big until the PC port to begin with. If they actually cared about their craft as an art instead of just money they would want it to be on the most powerful platform available instead of shackled to a dumbed down walled garden fake computer.

How do you feel about Demon Souls?

I'd probably say Mass Effect for sure. About to play the Andromeda trial though so you never know.

I think the big one for me is Pokémon. I just don't care anymore. Each entry has been successively more boring to play, despite technological advancements made. The core gameplay is dull as dishwater. They need to do a BOTW style reimagining that shakes up the formula. Sun and Moon weren't enough.

Resident Evil series, even though I loved RE7, the series really isn't what it used to be anymore.

What a delusional & pathetic attitude. Grow up will you?

Lijik

Super Paper Mario sucked out a lot of my love for the series with its bad platforming/rpg/pnc adventure game mashup (i still think the concept is cool even if the execution was botched) and obnoxiously long winded characters. The next two entries being okay at best, stripped down RPGs havent really reignited my interest to what it was back in the day

Spman2099

Final Fantasy is the big one for me. Actually, Square Soft in general. I used to buy anything that company put out. Their PS1 track record is amazing. Even the "bad" games were extremely playable. However, as of FFX, I felt like the quality of their output started to dip. FFXIII is when I realized that they had completely lost it. They are slowly building themselves up again, but they are thousands of miles away from where they used to be.

Daffy Duck

Sorry to keep banging the drum all the time but, Call of Duty and RNG supply drops.

And to add to this I really despise how Activision boast about the three year dev cycle and how great it is but still cannot ship a complete game on launch date.

They really do take the piss out of their community, its atrocious.

redcrayon

Final Fantasy- they were the biggest releases around for me, but XIII and it's sequels knocked it down to a b-tier at best series for me.

Mega man- I lost interest at around X3. By that point I'd played a dozen decent MM games and didn't really feel the need for any more.

Dead Space- after DS2 abandoned tension and horror to be yet another sci-fi shooter (albeit a very good one), it lost what I liked about the original.

Star Ocean. SO4 sent it screaming into 'avoid like the plague' territory after everything but the battle engine was a hot mess of pure nonsense.

Dead Space- after DS2 abandoned tension and horror to be yet another sci-fi shooter (albeit a very good one), it lost what I liked about the original.
oh please, this gets said all the time and the only difference between the two is ds2 has better pacing and a voiced protag

Dead space 1 had plenty of shoot bang and dead space 2 was plenty tense.

Zukkoyaki

Definitely Final Fantasy.

10-15 years ago I was obsessed with it. But then XIII happened (though ultimately I enjoyed it), XIII-2, XIV being an MMO and waiting forever for XV caused my interest to fall.

Haven't even played XV and honestly have no desire to.

redcrayon

oh please, this gets said all the time and the only difference between the two is ds2 has better pacing and a voiced protag

No. DS2 had a far greater focus on shooting with far more ammo and bigger set piece battles. Sure, it had tension, and DS1 had shooting (it is how you kill everything after all), but implying the focus on each element was the same in each game is just wrong. That's why it gets said a lot, because DS2 was still a good game but lost the pacing of the original for all-out action. In DS1 it was like you didn't quite have as many resources as you needed, in DS2 it was a full-on shooter.

Spman2099

Sony hired them to make a game so they made an amazing game. There is nothing artistically corrupt about that (unless you are one of the fools who believe that all artists should starve). I think you are being pretty petulant here.

Yeah, 2 had more memorable environments too like the cathedral and the school.

No. DS2 had a far greater focus on shooting with far more ammo and bigger set piece battles. Sure, it had tension, and DS1 had shootbang, but implying the focus of each element was the same in each game is just wrong. That's why it gets said a lot.
I played them both on the default difficulty and never had an issue with ammo for either and found them both about as equally scary. In fact I thought DS2 was more effective since the church and school were actually frightening to me (edit: holy shit lol), DS1's scariest moments for me were the plant sprinkler jump scare and the ending scare.

Also 1 was the only dead space game with multiple on rails turret segments.

TheXbox

Destiny. I played it religiously in 2014; did the alpha, the beta, and a few months post launch. I refused to pay for the DLC, though, and that's where the game lost me. PvE endgame became completely inaccessible. I played TTK for a bit as well, but as a solo player that only exacerbated my disenfranchisement with the series.

Destiny 2 looks as though it will have the same issues. Their solution for Raids is laughable. It's okay, though, it's a co-op game and people enjoy the hell out of it. It's just not for me anymore.

Caronte

Final Fantasy. I haven't truly enjoyed one since X and I see no signs of improvement (quite the opposite, actually).

Also, The Sims. I put into 1 and 2 more time than I want to admit, but after 3 and especially 4 I just can't anymore. Too many bugs and things that annoy me that never get fixed.

Aceofspades

Banned
Metal Gear Solid fan here, I HATE MGSV because it threw everything that made MGS special and turned into generic Far Cry game.

I hated this transition so much that I no longer have any interest in anything Kojima does.

I still adore MGS 1,2,3 and 4 though.

Jeb

Ace Attorney, first 3 had some kind of magic charm, from the characters, to the humor, to the twists, each had something to add to that charm.
The spin offs came out such as the Edgeworth games and vs PL, although not as good, still maintained a bit of that charm.
Then PW5 came out and was so bland and mediocre, without a hint of what made the series special.
Tried PW6, couldn't get past the first case, it felt like 5 as in it was devoid of that charm, so I stopped.

Lynx_7

Ace Attorney, first 3 had some kind of magic charm, from the characters, to the humor, to the twists, each had something to add to that charm.
The spin offs came out such as the Edgeworth games and vs PL, although not as good, still maintained a bit of that charm.
Then PW5 came out and was so bland and mediocre, without a hint of what made the series special.
Tried PW6, couldn't get past the first case, it felt like 5 as in it was devoid of that charm, so I stopped.

Hmm, this is a good one, actually. I still like Ace Attorney games, but I certainly don't love them as I used to. I went from feverishly hyping new entries and buying them as soon as I could to not really caring about new announcements. I still haven't even touched the new one, and that's sad. I've heard excellent things about AAI2 at the very least, but can't even muster enough enthusiasm to give it a try.

I think they either should've stopped at the original trilogy or gone in a completely different direction. Apollo Justice had the right idea, even if the execution was a mixed bag, and I really thought we were going to get an Apollo trilogy, but then they immediately backtracked in the next game.

Wamb0wneD

Paper Mario went from one of my favorite series of all time to one I want absolutely nothing to do with.

Sticker Star was so damn bad, I was hoping beyond hope for a return to form, but then they double down on their trash formula with Color Splash, and every indication from the producers states pretty loud and clear they just don't give a shit, so sayonara, Paper Mario, it was fun while it lasted.

I would immediately shut up if they gave us a TTYD remake with Colour Splash graphics or at least a damn Remaster for the Switch...

Final Fantasy 12 was the nail in the coffin for Final Fantasy for me. Horrible game. The fact it's getting threads like "ff12 remaster made me realize how bad ff15 is" is halarious to me and shows how far the series has truely fallin when one POS is held up and used to show how bad the series is now.

267402_1.jpg

ShutterMunster

Halo, Gears, and COD. Gears mainly after 3, Halo after 4 (solid SP, but MP was a disaster), and COD after MW2 (which was an unbalanced mess).

Would you say FROM shot themselves in the foot?

Wamb0wneD

Lmao what is this.

Would you say FROM shot themselves in the foot?

Haha.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Sonic, for sure. Mania is bringing that spark back, though!

World of Warcraft. I want to love this game but it's been getting harder. I skipped MoP (regretfully) and was heavily disappointed by WoD. Haven't bothered with Legion.
If Mania wasn't coming out Sonic would absolutely be my answer. My complete lack of interest in Forces is pretty unheard of for a mainline Sonic game for me. I legit have never given this little of a shit about a new mainline Sonic game coming out.

But Mania is hype.

Ace Attorney. Loved pretty much all the games up to AA5 (including PL vs AA), was obsessed with them for years, but AA5 was so mediocre and uninspired that it killed my interest for the series. I never played AA6.

Fire Emblem feels like it's gonna be the next one. Echoes gave me a little bit of hope but I get the feeling that FE Switch is just gonna be more waifu crap. I guess we'll see.

Ladekabel

Assassin's Creed

The first was good, the second and Brotherhood were great to amazing. But then Revelations and 3 happened. And after two garbage entries Black Flag was mediocre and they lost me. Interested in Origins though.

Top Bottom