• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do strip clubs make a lot of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask because I just ran into an old friend of mine who I hadn't seen in a while that now owns a strip club. He says he makes "more money than I can count". I didn't really want to ask how much since that would be rude...but it has made me interested!

I know theres more to it than throwin a buncha whores in a building, but do these things really act as a gold mine??

Amir0x

Banned
i know they used to get a ton of my money. Perfect place to get shit faced with friends.

This girl I know who used to strip made like triple the money there that she makes in her current job (which is like 12.50 an hour)

Amir0x

Banned
krackerjack said:
So if a recent college grad had the resources (money) to start one in a college town, would it be a good investment?

Well there's a lot to the business that I know I certainly don't understand. Make sure you are VERY educated on what you're getting into, and make sure you're prepared for a fight. Lots of towns do not like strip clubs to be built around them :p

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
krackerjack said:
So if a recent college grad had the resources (money) to start one in a college town, would it be a good investment?

Depends upon the town. While some college kids may have a ton of cash to spend, I think you might be better off opening your club in a town where there is a large population of young professional types. So if this college town has that population as well, then go for it.

Or if it's near a military base.

Amir0x said:
Well there's a lot to the business that I know I certainly don't understand. Make sure you are VERY educated on what you're getting into, and make sure you're prepared for a fight. Lots of towns do not like strip clubs to be built around them :p

This too.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Amir0x said:

And lots of connected people don't like competition. Or prefer security.

Seriously, be safe.

Macam

Banned
krackerjack said:

You know, when people ask questions like these, it's usually a sign you should probably just hand off your money to a financial professional to invest for you.

K0NY

krackerjack said:
If you have mob connections, or enough muscle to deal with them, then yes. You could do well. Strip clubs need to be able to handle drunks, deadbeats, fights, bitchy women and profiteering thugs. If you have the resources, go for it.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
My cousin owns a strip club....and she's done quite the job at running it into the ground since she got it.

None the less, i do some of their bookkeeping and the club, even with it being at it's lowest point in years, it still pulls in 4 digits of daily movement.

dark_chris

Gold Member
krackerjack said:

It would be a good idea but at the same time, i also think about also the students who can barely get by. I dunno why but in my mind, I just think most are just trying to get by... Like i am. lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
krackerjack said:
He says he makes "more money than I can count". I didn't really want to ask how much since that would be rude...but it has made me interested!
I can answer that one for you.

Instead of counting the money, you can sort the money by bill type, weigh 1 bill per stack and then weigh the stack.
Then you will know how much money is more money than you can count.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Like all businesses, it doesn't run itself. It's probably not all rosy either. If it was such an easy money maker, everyone would own a strip club. But having a friend who owns a strip club is cool!

dark_chris said:
It would be a good idea but at the same time, i also think about also the students who can barely get by. I dunno why but in my mind, I just think most are just trying to get by... Like i am. lol

Oh I know what you mean, but the amount of people that spend a ton of money at the bars downtown...sometimes as much as a semesters worth of books...is staggering!

Some of you guys make it sound like I'd get shot doing this!! I don't live in Manhattan or Los Angeles if that is what some of you are thinking lol.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
krackerjack said:
Oh I know what you mean, but the amount of people that spend a ton of money at the bars downtown...sometimes as much as a semesters worth of books...is staggering!

Some of you guys make it sound like I'd get shot doing this!! I don't live in Manhattan or Los Angeles if that is what some of you are thinking lol.

lol you can handle alot of the activities at home. Depending of the club of course. At this particular club money tends to exchange hands all by it self. The hoes work for direct payment then syphon off some of it to the club and the DJ. The co manager, i think, just pays himself. The club handles basic shit like utilities, a few minimum wage(ish) heads, rent, and alcohol.

Course you might want to stick around to keep the hoes in line though.

Strip clubs really do sell themselves. It's a nice business. Clubs in general are nice businesses (she owns a gay bar too). The only thing you ever have to worry about is getting heads in the building.

krackerjack said:

Those places are much safer than podunk environments. Healthy competition makes people work harder. Being the only club in the county is where crime starts.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
If your dream comes to fruition, I have a request. Plastic chair covers. I always feel disgusting tucked into those nasty semen sponges most strip clubs call chairs.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Recruiting girls is difficult for a new club, and very risky. Near a college town is probably the worst idea, get closer to corporate offices.

mr stroke

Guy I used to work with owned a shit hole club on the outskirts of town, and while he wasn't rich or well off, he always had a pocket full of cash and cheated on his wife nightly.

A lot of you guys say it is better to stay near corporate offices, why so? I figured drunk college dudes that don't have to get in their cars to go to the club and can just walk there and get hammered would make more money. Am I missing something?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
krackerjack said:
A lot of you guys say it is better to stay near corporate offices, why so? I figured drunk college dudes that don't have to get in their cars to go to the club and can just walk there and get hammered would make more money. Am I missing something?

College dudes are often broke and show up at the tail end of the night, already pretty drunk. The real money comes from the dudes with deep wallets who are willing to drop hundreds of dollars on drinks and private dances for themselves and for clients.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hmm from my knowledge here in Montreal the strippers don't belong to any club, they go where they want and keep all the money (no money to give to the club itself). So you can't recruit a stripper for a club, they chose where they go. Also contact dances for 10$ is nice (or whatever you call it in English):D

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
krackerjack said:

I reckon it's the expendable income. They seem like easier marks no?

Amir0x

Banned
urk said:
College dudes are often broke and show up at the tail end of the night, already pretty drunk. The real money comes from the dudes with deep wallets who are willing to drop hundreds of dollars on drinks and private dances for themselves and for clients.

There are a bunch of strip clubs that have gone BYOB, which is also an idea. Not necessarily as profitable, but you do alleviate one of many complications that go into running a strip club.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Amir0x said:
There are a bunch of strip clubs that have gone BYOB, which is also an idea. Not necessarily as profitable, but you do alleviate one of many complications that go into running a strip club.

I can't even imagine where the revenue comes from. what are the door prices at said clubs?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Amir0x said:

They allow people to walk in with their own liquor? I would think that would still require a liquor license and bring in all kinds of other potential liabilities.

I have seen a few scrap their bartenders in favor of bottled beer in bins that you can buy for three bucks a pop.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Man strip clubs in the US sound like they're really low class. Maybe it's a question of quantity over quality:p

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Ether_Snake said:
Man strip clubs in the US sound like they're really low class. Maybe it's a question of quantity over quality:p

Eh, some are pretty elegant.

Amir0x

Banned
Sol.. said:
I can't even imagine where the revenue comes from. what are the door prices at said clubs?

ALERT ALERT INFORMATIVE NSFW LINK AHEAD ALERT ALERT INFORMATIVE NSFW LINK AHEAD

NSFW: http://www.grandviewclub.com/index.asp NSFW

ALERT ALERT INFORMATIVE NSFW LINK BEHIND ALERT ALERT INFORMATIVE NSFW LINK BEHIND

This is the one close to me, it's only fifteen minutes away. I've been to it a few times. Basically twelve to fifteen dollar cover charge (though I think it's eighteen dollars now, the site is a bit outdated), and of course we all generously tip the ladies and such.

It's a very nice laid back atmosphere and usually everyone is pretty on target, and the clientele is surprisingly less shady than you imagine.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Ether_Snake said:

You gotta go the right city. Some clubs in Atlanta, New Orleans, LA, or Manhattan are pretty swank.

Gildor

Sol.. said:

I can't remember exactly, but they charged $5 or $10 for a bottle of liquor to be brought in, and also charge $1 per beer I think. Plus, you have to buy two non-alcoholic mixer drinks for $5 each.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Ether_Snake said:

Atlanta, is well known for having way too many clubs. But actually it aint all that packed. They gave communities a surprising amount of power to stop the construction of things such as strip bars and clubs.

Amir0x said:

ALERT ALERT INFORMATIVE NSFW LINK BEHIND ALERT ALERT INFORMATIVE NSFW LINK BEHIND

This is the one close to me, it's only fifteen minutes away. I've been to it a few times. Basically twelve to fifteen dollar cover charge (though I think it's eighteen dollars now, the site is a bit outdated), and of course we all generously tip the ladies and such.

It's a very nice laid back atmosphere and usually everyone is pretty on target, and the clientele is surprisingly less shady than you imagine.

Any other streams or is it safe to assume they charge the dancers a premium to work there?

Because when i say alcohol is a important stream of revenue at our club.....i like means it lol.

Sol.. said:
Atlanta, is well known for having way too many clubs. But actually it aint all that packed. They gave communities a surprising amount of power to stop the construction of things such as strip bars and clubs.

Any other streams or is it safe to assume they charge the dancers a premium to work there?

Because when i say alcohol is a important stream of revenue at our club.....i like means it lol.
yes they charge the dancers a stage fee every night they work, also at some clubs they get a cut off the top of all personal dances, that depends entirely on the club

Hero

Amir0x said:

Haha, you live near Grand View? It's a pretty cool place, BYOB. Not as seedy as one would think.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
women have to pay the house everynight. basically clubs pay nothing. say the house fee is 60$ and you have 25 gals that night in the then that is 1500 a day. You'd pay bouncers and servers but not the gals.. almost no overhead

So really, what you all are saying is as long as someone works really hard to make sure things are in line, it could be cash city?

Blackace

krackerjack said:
So really, what you all are saying is as long as someone works really hard to make sure things are in line, it could be cash city?

well most clubs have some sort of underworld connection. So it could be dangerous for a number of reasons as well..

SnakeXs

krackerjack said:

Like any business, it's much preparation, and some luck.

If you do things right and know what you're getting into then yes, the odds are in your favor. And a place that really does well? Definite cash cow.

Gildor

krackerjack said:

Also, you have to keep the customers in line so don't let a guy wear his cap backwards. It's disrespectful to the strippers.

See I just kinda get jitters when some of you say it could be dangerous....how is it any different than say putting in any other kind of business? I know I'm naive on the reasons, but could you elaborate a bit?

Gildor said:
Also, you have to keep the customers in line so don't let a guy wear his cap backwards. It's disrespectful to the strippers.

really?? I didn't know that

SnakeXs

krackerjack said:
See I just kinda get jitters when some of you say it could be dangerous....how is it any different than say putting in a pita pit or pf changs franchise? I know I'm naive on the reasons, but could you elaborate a bit?

This industry is lucrative. It can be relatively low risk high reward.

People who are doing okay may not appreciate the competition. Or may simply want a little service charge of sorts, to insure you don't have any strange coincidences.

That's one thing. Another is, due to the nature of the business, the higher odds of fights, or illegal activities going on. Easy to keep in check, just as easy to let slip.

A lot can go right, but a whole lot can go wrong. A smooth sailing place with good clients? A great flow of cash. But left unchecked, or simply some bad luck? Ouch.

Blackace

krackerjack said:
See I just kinda get jitters when some of you say it could be dangerous....how is it any different than say putting in any other kind of business? I know I'm naive on the reasons, but could you elaborate a bit?

really?? I didn't know that

Well it is a wiseguy business, and wiseguys don't really enjoy others taking money from them..

also it is a cash business meaning that it is a prime target for robberies armed or an inside job..

and the hat thing is a crock of crap. :lol

SnakeXs said:
People who are doing okay may not appreciate the competition. Or may simply want a little service charge of sorts, to insure you don't have any strange coincidences.

See thats the thing that makes me worry...I dont want to feel like someone has planted a bomb in my car or something!

But to kinda recoup:

After the hard work, after the preparation, after taking care of all the little details....keep the business clean and in check at all times with civilized clientel and I'm good to go?

FreezeSSC

krackerjack said:
See thats the thing that makes me worry...I dont want to feel like someone has planted a bomb in my car or something!

But to kinda recoup:

After the hard work, after the preparation, after taking care of all the little details....keep the business clean and in check at all times with civilized clientel and I'm good to go?

then i dont think you know what your getting into. as a owner of a strip club, unless you establish yourself as some high class strip club you will probably at first get alot of shady people working for you and clientels, you have to be comfortable turning a blind eye to somethings like drugs and stuff because i know that those places attract those kinda people. Unless you have the funds to make it some type of super high class place that is.

Well thats the thing, the people that would help manage it would be my buddies since we were 2 years old. As far as the drugs and stuff....I mean there would be security around obviously. Obviously if somebody is going to do something like that then they can get away with doing it whether it be outside a strip club or outside the local mall.

Perhaps I'm worrying a bit too much about the whole "dangerous" issue....the only strip club as of right now is 9 miles out of town and the guy that owns it is just some normal backwoods guy who bought the building after the Mexican restaurant that was first in it failed.

Whats funny is I'm not even that fond of strip clubs...but damn the business model and potential money made is amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom