• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Far Cry 5 set in Wild West 19th Century [Actually likely modern day Montana]

Will Ubisoft manage to keep any secrets for E3 (or even for their pre-E3 unveils)?

Results are only viewable after voting.

nOoblet16

So looking back to Vivendisoft's 2015 Far Cry survey :

it seems to be 6th option ;-)

Also seems like we already got some others in a way :
- 11 is most likely where FC: Primal was born as an idea
- 8 was in form of weird Trials game
- 4 is basically GR-Wildlands but with Bolivia instead of Peru
5, 9 and 10 are so much better ideas.

Mad Max style Farcry would give you western as well as a bit of modern both at the same time.

Skyzard

Banned
Sounds awesome. It's been enough time since 4 and wild west would be great with far cry if they can keep it interesting.

Jacknapes

Primal was a decent Far Cry game, however if the rumours of a Western Far Cry coming this year are true, and if RDR2 arrives this year as well, then it's a year of Westerns. However RDR2 will most likely trounce it.

I'm fine with this, especially if they go more 'weird west' to distinguish it from the spaghetti western theme we usually get. Far Cry 4 and Primal both heavily featured mysticism/magic so I'd like more of that.

One thing these games need is to give the adversaries more personality/story like the captains in Shadows of Mordor or the narcos in Wildlands. Killing a thousand faceless mooks on the way to 3 scripted encounters with bosses that you barely see in-game just isn't that involving.

_Rob_

Bring on the mechanical spiders!

giphy.gif

Although it may not appear so, I make this post completely honestly. I loved Wild Wild West, I don't understand why it gets so much hate!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
See the design or formula is not the issue, if it was Horizon wouldn't be the breakaway hit that it is. It's the execution that makes all the difference and to me FC4 atleast was very fun to play because it had very good shooting which I found fun. Plus the radio was fucking hilarious for me because I understand the language and all the Indian references it made.

That's for you though. The design and formula is a problem for me because it doesn't lean towards my tastes and in most cases actively opposes them. I can see why they're fun games, I just find them boring.

Rockstar does not do life action they show the game itself always :O
Also LOL @ people who believe that RDR2 comes out this year let alone September.

While I like that they keep shifting the Far Cry series around in an effort to ensure it doesn't get stale, I'd actually prefer a new Call of Juarez in the Old West as opposed to Far Cry going into that setting. Call of Juarez Gunslinger was superb, but at the time it was overshadowed by FC3: Blood Dragon.

EDIT - also, what's the online pirate game referenced in the poll? Have I missed some rumours on that?

nOoblet16

That's for you though. The design and formula is a problem for me because it doesn't lean towards my tastes and in most cases actively opposes them. I can see why they're fun games, I just find them boring.
So I take it you didn't find Horizon fun as well? If it's the formula that is the problem.

Indelible

Hopefully this is true, Far Cry would translate perfectly to a western setting. It would be great if we get this and a new Assassin's Creed this holiday.

If true definitely feels like they want some of that RDR2 hype but I am not gonna jump to any other conclusions. Might be a great game actually and can fill in that void because I definitely don't believe RDR2 will launch anymore this year.

This reminds me of how they marketed FC Primal. I believe they revealed it in the same year as release, actually it was quite a short time between announcement and release.

mckmas8808

Banned
They'd be better off delaying it until February or so. Better to come after Read Dead than before it.

You crazy. Then nobody would buy it. Be first and let everyone buy it just for the setting alone. You don't want to be compared to RDR2 AND be last lol.

Budi

Hell yeah, I'm in! First Far Cry ever to really interest me, besides the Blood Dragon DLC. Not enough Western games out there. And I've been happy with Ubi games myself, so I'll expect this to be atleast decent. I hope the story will be worth it, usually not the strongest in Ubi releases.

Oooh this one could be interesting, and a nice contrast to RDR2!

Far Cry has some great strengths in it's gameplay loop and I think could fit very well in a Wild West setting.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Consider me interested.

Far Cry West and Red Dead in the same year? Is that even possible?

* DICE reveals Battlefield Wild West at E3 *

yurinka

While I like that they keep shifting the Far Cry series around in an effort to ensure it doesn't get stale
Considering that Primal was the best selling Far Cry game, I think it was a good idea to try a new setting. Western did work very well with RDR and there isn't almost AAA competition with this setting. So I assume a Far Cry somewhere else (as a western) would work very well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I take it you didn't find Horizon fun as well? If it's the formula that is the problem.

I haven't played Horizon yet. I think I might like it. Need to chew through a few other games before I can commit.

But it's not simply "the formula". It's the nuances within that formula and how we define it, particularly how gameplay systems are expressed and balanced, and integration of progression and pacing. A lot of games are formulaic and simple, and I don't mind. Ubisoft's direction with Far Cry 3 onwards doesn't appeal to me, particularly in how XP economy and skill unlocks are fed to the player, along with what I feel is dull objective and mission structuring. It's a cliche, but they legitimately feel like the kind of games where once I've played the first couple of hours I feel I've seen all the game can offer, and the rest is fluff.

Fishook

As somebody who loves Western's, I am going to struggle playing a Ubisoft formula game for a while.I just see all the side missions now (stagecoach/bank robbery, Horse/Stagecoach Races, Clearing Indian/Mexican forts, Bounty Hunting and Duels.

Hopefully RDR2 will get a PC release as the first was the best game I owned on the brief time I owned a console.

big_erk

My son loves these games. I watch him playing them with this glazed over look in my eyes. Kind of the same look I get while he's playing COD. I hope WWII changes this though. I've missed WWII COD games.

jschreier

Hey - since my name has been attached to this thing, I just want to be clear: all I've heard is that the new Far Cry is set in Montana. I cannot confirm or deny anything "wild west" or "19th century," and all of that stuff actually feels like a big stretch from bottom-feeding rumor websites. I have no idea whether or not it's true.

Jawmuncher

Hey - since my name has been attached to this thing, I just want to be clear: all I've heard is that the new Far Cry is set in Montana. I cannot confirm or deny anything "wild west" or "19th century," and all of that stuff actually feels like a big stretch from bottom-feeding rumor websites. I have no idea whether or not it's true.

Dinosaurs Confirmed

Hux1ey

Banned
Definitely intrigued hope they change up the gameplay structure a bit though, so bored of the same old Far Cry progression.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Man this is going to be rushed so much to avoid RDR2 like the plague.

But hey, the more Wild West games the better. Primal was allright despite some "lazy devs" stuff. ;)

Top Bottom