• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dead Rising 3 set in California, stars Rick the auto mechanic

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Definitely seems the teaser was for Dead Rising 3.

Siliconera said:
Dead Rising 3 Is Set In California And The Protagonist Is An Auto Mechanic
By Spencer . December 8, 2011 . 2:28pm

Dead Rising 3 brings zombies to the fictional town of Los Perdidos, California. After the zombie outbreak, the town is locked down and under martial law. No one can leave, but Rick and a group of survivors have other plans.

That’s concept art for Rick, the lead character in Dead Rising 3 on the right. He’s an orphan and works as an auto mechanic. When the zombie apocalypse breaks our Rick is unsure of himself, so he isn’t the same kind of character like Frank West. His plan is to restore a plane and escape Los Perdidos before a bomb goes off and destroys the already ruined city. As a player, getting the plane to fly is one of your main goals.

One interesting tidbit a source tells Siliconera, is Dead Rising 3 has an undercurrent of themes about illegal immigration. Another character called Red leads an underground group of "illegals," which are infected people that aren’t registered by the government. Annie, Red’s girlfriend is a runaway that’s sympathetic to the infected. While some survivors are helpful, others went berserk. One of the psychopaths you fight is a biker gang member who drives a "Roller Hog" – that’s a motorcycle with a steam roller attached to the front.
Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/0...rnia-and-the-protagonist-is-an-auto-mechanic/

dr3cap6rz6.png

If it's as fun as Case Zero was I'm all for it. Haven't gotten around to playing Dead Rising 1 or 2, but I really liked Case Zero

Orayn

[Nintex];33297731 said:
So they're really going to milk it into the ground aren't they?

If by "milk into the ground," you mean "keep making Dead Rising because it sells and people like it," then I hope so.

I will wait for Dead Rising 3: Off The Record 2: Frank West In California Edition.

Seriously though Blue Castle. Frank West as the main and Rick as the co-op buddy. Having anyone other than Frank as the lead is just blasphemy, he IS Dead Rising. Whatever though, I loves me some Dead Rising and will be playing 3 day one. I can only hope the game has less checkpoints and goes more in the direction of DR1 than Off The Record.

MisterHero

Would buy 3 copies if it was Rick Dale from American Restorations

he can make all sorts of weapons out of vintage Coke machines

gconsole

Start to feel repetative now. This kind of system was fun first time. But not the third time! (actually fourth if include OTR)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Better be able to turn zombies into cars then.

[Nintex]

I bet Geoff is going to cry himself to sleep now that he can't hype this as the most unexpected expected sequel of all time.

Angry Fork

Was going to get DR2 but heard the PC version was bad and didn't even support wireless 360 controller. Was a deal breaker for me.

Snaku

Banned
If you're gonna keep forcing new leads in every game, when you know damn well people just want to play as Frank, why not introduce a female lead? Where's Dead Rising's Jill Valentine? Claire Redfield?

Serious sausage fest going on in this franchise.

Lead just looks boring as hell. Can we get a woman or something?
If you're gonna keep forcing new leads in every game, when you know damn well people just want to play as Frank, why not introduce a female lead? Where's Dead Rising's Jill Valentine? Claire Redfield?

Serious sausage fest going on in this franchise.
Why not the chick from the 1st one or even Stacey? Or a black dude that lives to the end? (Am I the only one that thinks TK looked like R.Kelly)

Rain_ng

Banned
Seems a little too soon for DR3... I'll still get it mind.

Didn't the teaser suggest that Frank was going to be in it?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hum... what about Chuck and Frank going after the drug company? The cure, Chuck's daughter? No, nothing? You won't continue that, Capcom?

Then screw you.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Looking forward to all the VGA reveals being zombie games.

- BOLD NEW METAL GEAR RISING DIRECTION! Raiden slices up zombies now because soldiers was a bit too bloodthirsty.

- HALO 4 UNVEILED! Master Chief lands on a Forerunner planet... over-run by the ever-living undead forms of its former masters!

- RESIDENT EVIL 6! Zombie Chrisssssssssssssssssss.

With all the foreshadowing they put in the end of Case West, I was seriously expecting DR3 to be a Frank/Chuck team-up.

I hope they're not just discarding all that stuff.

Was going to get DR2 but heard the PC version was bad and didn't even support wireless 360 controller. Was a deal breaker for me.

PC version of DR2 ran flawlessly for me. I am not sure of any issues with the wireless controller, but my wired 360 controller worked great.

California isn't that sweet. Stop setting all the games there.

Don't be jealous of the best coast.

With all the foreshadowing they put in the end of Case West, I was seriously expecting DR3 to be a Frank/Chuck team-up.

I hope they're not just discarding all that stuff.

I don't see why Frank and Chucks misadventures can't be DLC ala Case West and Case Zero. Have that DLC wrap up any lose ends that Case West left open and then start DR3 fresh with Rick. With how well Case Zero sold (not sure how Zero did compared) I would imagine Capcom will want to have more DLC "episodes" for Dead Rising.

Orayn

Just looked into this, and there appears to be a rather simple user-made fix for that. It's a solid PC port, so I'd definitely recommend it.

Angry Fork

PC version of DR2 ran flawlessly for me. I am not sure of any issues with the wireless controller, but my wired 360 controller worked great.

Anyone know if there's been a patch that allows wireless 360 controller? Or if they work properly with the game? If the PC version itself is fine then I'm interested but I can't play that kind of game on kb/mouse.

ninja edit

Just looked into this, and there appears to be a rather simple user-made fix for that. It's a solid PC port, so I'd definitely recommend it.

Nice I'll look into it then I bet I just missed some good Steam sale on it lol.

things I want to know:

- storyline sequel to DR 2 or "Off the Records" ?
- they keeping the Phenotrans plot from "Case West" or not ?

else, HYPE.

Well, at least it's not Frank again, though I would have preferred Chuck being the lead.

I'm really hoping that Capcom was being truthful in that this doesn't follow the Off the Record continuity.

Haunted

Dead Rising was a novelty and a greatly appreciated new IP. Second one was competently done, but just more of the same.

I'm not sure they can keep this up for a third game and get away with it.

CamHostage

Will wait for DR3: Off the Record.

I wasn't a real fan of the release style of it as a wholly different game (although Off The Record apparently had a lot of content plus some fixes,) but I wouldn't mind if all Dead Rising games introduced a new character but then brought Frank West out as a second campaign character. Adding Chuck to DR2 was I thought bold and interesting and a good way to continue a tricky franchise, but there was a weird fan backlash about it being "different" that I didn't really get. (True, there was something unique about DR that'd be a shame to lose, but especially since Capcom has already had great success swapping characters in Resident Evil releases, change could be good.) This structure (be it DLC or in-game second character... do they still do those?) seems like an agreeable compromise.

Top Bottom