• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series in which you went from rabid fan to having a casual interest. What lost you?

Composer

Assassin's Creed Series. I was a big fan of the series from AC1 to 3. But starting with AC4 they started removing the modern day element (the entire crux of the series) + creating the most generic protags to ever be featured in AAA games. They lost me after that, I played Unity nearly to the end, and Syndicate I've played for maybe 3 hours.

Kuro

also, zelda. but that's mostly about getting older and not really caring too much about some scripted single player stuff that just gets some new levels once every 5 years

Breath of the wild should be right up your alley then. Its basically wander around in a giant world just screwin around.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Assassin's Creed Series. I was a big fan of the series from AC1 to 3. But starting with AC4 they started removing the modern day element (the entire crux of the series) + creating the most generic protags to ever be featured in AAA games. They lost me after that, I played Unity nearly to the end, and Syndicate I've played for maybe 3 hours.

Same here. 3 felt like a drag and I couldn't get into the boat stuff in 4. I haven't played an AC game since, and Origins doesn't look like it's going to change my mind.

I_D

Diablo 1 and 2 completely dominated my time as a kid. Then Diablo 3 released, and it was a joke of a game compared to the first two.

Halo 1, 2, and 3 were all excellent as well. Then ODST released, and it was boring as hell, and Reach solidified that the series is dead to me.

Defect

Halo was losing me with Reach and then I pretty much lost all hope after 4 and MCC.

I'm back on board now that Halo 5 mp is actually good!

Whales

Banned
battlefield:

played bad company 1 like crazy
played a ton of bc2
played a looot of bf3

then when bf4 released for some reasons I really didnt play it much

and i quit bf1 pretty quick too

Not sure why... Bf1 I stopped because I honestly didnt like the weapons / gun feel

bf4 however is a mystery

Paper Mario went from one of my favorite series of all time to one I want absolutely nothing to do with.

Sticker Star was so damn bad, I was hoping beyond hope for a return to form, but then they double down on their trash formula with Color Splash, and every indication from the producers states pretty loud and clear they just don't give a shit, so sayonara, Paper Mario, it was fun while it lasted.

The Yakuza series for me. I bought the original right as it came out but after years of lauding the series I just stopped playing them. I had a lot less free time during graduate school and when I fell out I never really got back in after I finished 4. It also doesn't help that there's so much build up and minor subplots. Makes going back after a long break almost impossible. That being said, I'm still going to play Zero and Kiwami at some point. Just don't know when...

Yu Furealdo

After Call of Duty 4 came out, the Halo series completely lost my interest for a while. I still play the campaigns of the new ones just because I like the core gameplay but I've grown to dislike Halo multiplayer. If I'm gonna play an arena shooter, I'll choose Quake or Unreal Tournament any day.

draetenth

Fallout series with Fallout 3 (though NV was great - haven't played 4 yet). Basically went from an RPG to a walking simulator (and briefly back to an RPG with NV). I will never understood Zenimax's decision to get the Fallout franchise if they were going to end up practically just using the names and almost nothing else (seriously, they have the weapons, the drugs, the creatures of Fallout, but practically ignore the lore and history behind the stuff)... I mean for all intents and purposes they could have just made a post-apocalyptic world of their own and let someone who actually cared about the Fallout series get it.

Modding is pretty much the only reason I even play the Bethesda Fallouts (or any of their games really).

wolfhowwl

Banned
Souls. The Bloodborne betrayal.

From Software betrayed their PC fanbase by whoring themselves for Sony cash after the series didn't even get big until the PC port to begin with. If they actually cared about their craft as an art instead of just money they would want it to be on the most powerful platform available instead of shackled to a dumbed down walled garden fake computer.

Their treachery doesn't deserve a penny. I boycotted Dark Souls 3 as well.

Final Fantasy, definitely.

Started with VI (still my favorite entry), then played all of the other entries which I enjoyed to varying degrees (X, IX, XII, VII and V being my "best of the rest", in no particular order). I gave FFXI a wide berth as I don't play MMORPG's, so I don't count that. Still a big fan at this point.

Then FFXIII happened.
Then XIII-2.
Then Lightning Returns (purchased on a deep Steam sale out of curiosity, was still not worth it)
The next sequential numbered entry was yet another online game (FFXIV). Skip.
Type-0 was atrocious.
I held out hope for FFXV, and fully intended to give it a punt on day 1, but playing the Duscae demo killed whatever hope I had that I would enjoy it.
That is an absolutely abysmal track record over the past decade, at least for me personally, and I've finally come to accept that whatever Final Fantasy has become nowadays, it bears little resemblance to the games I used to love. Some people still enjoy it of course, I'm just not one of them.

I AM in for Zodiac Age, however, but only because I already know what I'm getting with that game. Any new, non-remake game in this franchise will face serious scrutiny from me before I make another purchase, no blind buys ever again.

old

COD

Not getting with the times. It's 2017. We're in the LoL MP-era started by Riot Games. MP games need to be supported indefinitely post launch with new content, balance updates, and glitch patches. COD still lives in 2007 where it was okay to release a game with only brief window of post-launch support before abandoning the game to work on the sequel. No one wants to invest the time, effort, and energy to get good at a game only to see it get replaced every year. Overwatch and CSGO are the new mp-shooter business models. Adapt or get passed over.

Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quests

I loved them long ago. Then they either started taking too long between releases* or they didn't bring them to America. I've got way too many amazing gaming options to be sitting around holding out for franchises that either take too long between installments or don't think I'm worthy of the localization effort.

*I'm only counting numbered main series single-player entries that released for consoles. I don't count MMORPGs like FF11 and FF14, spinoffs for handhelds like with Kingdom Hearts, or sequels like FF13-II and III.

Soul Calibur

I don't live somewhere where I can go to a "dojo" and play against other players in person. And my friends who did play fighting games with me scattered to the four winds after college. And I don't like playing frame-crucial games like fighters over the internet due to latency. So I play fighting games in their single player modes. SC used to have great single player content. They used to have an RPG-ish mode. Now they don't. They've cut back hugely on single player mode content and with it my interest in the series.

Kssio_Aug

Final Fantasy after XII. Versus XIII / XV 10 years development and how far the game went from the original vision in the 2006 trailer lost me together with the low quality XIII trilogy.

Meta Gear Solid after IV. Just like movies and series I hate when a story focused game was set to a great end and then gets extended for the sake of it's popularity.

Kingdom Hearts after CoM for PS2. Waiting too long for KH3 just reminds me of how shitty Final Fantasy has became as a franchise.

Muffdraul

FF for me too. Ironically, my first was IV in 1992 but I didn't care for it at all. Fell in love with VI in '94 and it was always a national holiday in my mind whenever a new FF came out after that. Started importing with VII and always played the JP version first from then on. Cracks started to appear with X-2 and XI. Then XIII broke me and I stopped feeling like a rabid fan after that. I liked XV, it turned out way better than I assumed it would, but it's already mostly forgotten, it wasn't *that* good. Really enjoying XII right now, I loved it when it came out but I couldn't get into IZJS back when it came out in 2007 but I'm having no problem getting into Zodiac Age.

joecanada

Cod - I still bought aw despite some misgivings and yep it was terrible. Haven't spent any real time with it since blops 2 which was also terrible. Why?

Servers . Plain and simple. No excuse for those or R6 servers in this day and age. Server browser is min requirements ala battlefield. Titanfall 2 I'll just plug here as best in gen servers.

NHL games.

Used to buy one every year, 2k series was my drug. I would play it daily, play in online leagues, etc. 2k8 was the best hockey game of all time, and 2k9 was an abomination.

I moved over to the EA NHL series just to play eashl. Haven't bought it the last few years, its the same damn game every year.

Same deal with Madden. Once they moved to the Xbox 360 engine it's never been the same. It was the SHIT on ps2/ Xbox. It's been awful since. I used to anticipate it every year, get it at midnight on release. It's at the point where I don't even or pay attention to it anymore, I can't even be bothered to download it on each access.

Basically EA ruined sports games for me.

KJRS_1993

Call of Duty lost my interest when Destiny was released. Little self-contained arena based ten minute matches look very outdated compared to this intermingled PvP - PvE game, where rewards from one mode carried through to the next.

Assassin's Creed also lost my interest after Unity / Syndicate. I just got too infuriated by the dreadful controls. I don't see Origins picking my interest back up either now my time to play is even more limited than before.

Their treachery doesn't deserve a penny.

Haha, 'treachery'. It's computer games ffs.
Bloodborne is the best of the lot as well.

Yu Furealdo

From Software betrayed their PC fanbase by whoring themselves for Sony cash after the series didn't even get big until the PC port to begin with. If they actually cared about their craft as an art instead of just money they would want it to be on the most powerful platform available instead of shackled to a dumbed down walled garden fake computer.

Bloodborne wouldn't have been made if Sony didn't fund and help make it.

Fbh

Halo.

I love Halo 1-3. 3 In particular is my most played multiplayer game ever, I participated in tournaments and made friends through the game.

But I didn't like some of the changes made in Reach and I didn't like the story mode so much.
Then 4 really lost me with the story and added even more things I didn't like in multiplayer (loadouts and stuff like that).

I have no interest in XB1 so I haven't played 5 and it's just no longer a franchise I like enough to get a console just to be able to play it.

If 6 makes it to PC I'll play it for sure but unless there are some massive changes I doubt it would be in my list of most anticipated games. Even more so because I don't like playing online shooters on PC.

Maybe mentioned before? Burnout. 1 to 3 I played tk death then Revenge came out and I was dismayed at the drop the series took. Didn't even play Paradise.

Kssio_Aug

With all due respect, but this is nonsense. This is From's job and they're there to make money, if Sony funded a exclusive game from them, why would they say no when they could do it? It doesn't mean they don't care about their craft as an art, since both Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne are very well developed games, with high quality gameplay, level design, atmosphere and lore; devs worked really hard on these game otherwise they wouldn't be that good.

Success

Easily the Mass Effect effect.

I hated one at first.
Saw that 2 was coming out I went back to play one.
LOVED 1 in the end.

I then played the Mass Effect where you played as Jacob and found that alright. I even listened to a Mass Effect audio book.

LOVED 2 so much that I almost got every in game achievement.

I heard that in ME3 that all your choices were trivialised and that was a real blow to me as I HATE it when games just present you with the illusion of choices instead of the real deal.

Eventually played ME3 and I was just bored. Knowing that none of your choices really matter just killed the game for me.

Andromeda form what I heard suffers from the same, your choices don't matter.

VDenter

Banned
Paper Mario. The first two were incredible games. Super was alright but Sticker Star and Color Splash were so fundamentally broken from a Gameplay perspective that it has almost completely killed my interest in this series. If Nintendo happens to make the next entry amazing then great and i will play it. If not i wont lose sleep over it. All this would not even be so bad if the Mario and Luigi series was still just as good but sadly its not, it too is also going downhill fast. Although not quite to the same degree.

3D Mario and Zelda would be up for nomination if it weren't for Breath Of the Wild and how incredible Odyssey looks.

DSix

Banned
Falcom:
I first played Ys Origin then Oath in Felghana. Finished both and loved them.

I thought Falcom were gods for a while.

Then I played VII and later VI. Never finished either, lost interest fast. Played Ys I and didn't like it. Played TiTS and lost interest even faster.

I don't really care about Falcom games anymore.

Epcott

Metal Gear.

Was a big fan (except for the MGO games) since the NES game. MGSV pretty much dulled my enthusiasm for the series. Then Konami stupidity after release absolutely killed it.

Was a fan of Danganronpa 1, then my interest completely shattered halfway through playing 2. I'll probably still play v3 since it looks like its a new story, I hope anyway.

Resident Evil after playing through 4, a majority might find the game fun but it has no reason being a RE title. 5 was so crap that I skipped over 6 completely. I jumped back in for 7 but the 2nd half of that has encouraged me to jump right back out. Depending on how REmake 2 pans out, that'll probably be the last RE game I play.

Halo after 4, clearly they were pushing for the COD crowd and ended up going full Call of Duty with 5. That and the story was going nowhere with a misunderstanding of how to create an expanded universe.

Sonic is one of them, as ashamed I am to admit it, I used to love the games as a kid but now I'm watching from the distance in sheer fascination in terms of how anyone can like whatever Sonic Team shits out these days. At least Mania exists.

Anything Konami makes after the Silent Hills cancellation, unless it's a rhythm game... I just cannot turn Pop'n down.

In the opposite direction, having casual interest to then being a rabid fan, Tekken. (I liked fighting games before, but I never really cared to get good at Tekken since 3D fighters weren't exactly my favourite)

SomTervo

"entire crux" as in "worst part"?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Toxi

Banned
Pokemon. I have played every mainline ebtry in the series and replayed many of them, but I just kinda stopped after finishing Sun. It's not that Sun was bad, it was lots of fun, it just that the formula was finally getting stale got me. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon do nothing for me.

Novocaine

I loved LOVED the first Binding of Isaac game. But my rabid fandom has definitely gone since Rebirth. Even though it's definitely a better game the support for it is just flat out shit. Takes forever to release the updates and the Australian Xbox store doesn't even have the base game.

Producer

lately, Atelier. Just dont like the direction they've been going with the latest trilogy, with regards to system mechanics like time limit system. And more subjective i havent dug the character designs and art.

Paper Mario, but even then I don't have a casual interest. What a disaster of a series.

I also stopped caring that much about Smash, The hype is exciting but 4 and Brawl have pretty disappointing gameplay.

Vanille

Yeah, Fire Emblem. The 3DS entries were abysmal.

I don't think Intelligent Systems has it in them to make another game on the level of FE7/9.

Madness

Halo after H4, MCC and H5. I joined GAF for Halo. 90% of my posts were about Halo. But I think I am done with the series now.

SpokkX

Halo - loved h1 campaign, loved h2 multi.. then each game got progressivly more stagnant. Halo should have evolved into something else by now (not saying Destiny is good but at least the structure is new). H5 was compentent but felt like a series just going through the motions.

Final fantasy - after 12 (best ff imo) i have hated the direction has taken. Awful characters, stories and gameplay imo (not played the mmo, ff14)

Mass effect - the ending to 3 killed the series imo. Andromeda didnt help

PrismStar

Resident Evil I think, I just don't like first person games in general , if RE7 were third person I would buy it in a heartbeat.

RBIYF

Neo Member
God of War - I was once a huge fan of the series until I played God of War III. Before that, GoW I & II were among my favorite games, I also really enjoyed Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta, and even had fun with Betrayal. The series lost me at God of War III. The series always featured extreme violence and nudity, but it seemed to walk a fine line....God of War III came off as trying too hard to be edgy that just felt juvenile to me, both though it's content and dark and blade aesthetic. Though it had a good intense opening I had come to expect from the series, GoW III went downhill after the opening sequence. I didn't like the 180 turns that certain characters (like Athena) took, and Kratos went from being an anti-hero character that I liked to a straight up jerk I wasn't fond playing as, top it off with a disappointing ending.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming God of War, only because it seems sorta like a soft reboot, it doesn't seem to have the try-hard edgy vibe anymore, and most of all because the Cory Barlog is once again heading it up.

Dizzy-4U

Fighting games in general.

Local play was all I cared about, playing everyday against friends was the reason I enjoyed it so much. They haved all moved on now so my motivation for improvement is completely gone. No singleplayer nor online can replace that.

Top Bottom