• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Re:Legend - monster raising RPG [PC/PS4/XB1/Switch] - KS concluded at 901% funding

This looks really good. Hopefully it can hit all of it's stretch goals.

I wish I had the money to pledge for the Master Tamer tier. Those monsters are so cute and I really want their plushies.

Yeah, I really shouldn't spend so much money on a video game, but it looks like something I'll enjoy a lot.

This is one of those instances where I had no idea I wanted this type of game until coming across the Kickstarter for it. Couldn't back it fast enough.

If you have a 2/3DS, you should check out Fantasy Life and Ever Oasis.

Looks like it will hit all of those stretch goals quite easily, so my chips are in! Just the $30 tier for now, might upgrade that later.

Really digging these updates too.

Lain

New day, new update.

Update #10: Weekly Backers Exclusive Mini-game!

Welcome to the our Weekly Backers Exclusive Mini-game! Today we are going to play "Pick-a-Magnus"! We have tried hosting the mini-game on Facebook and Twitter prior to this and the response that we received was phenomenal so we decided to make it a weekly game throughout the campaign.

Pick-a-Magnus Rules:

1) We will be posting a set of Magnus concept labelled from A - J.

2) You will go through every single one of them and select your favorite concept.

3) Leave a comment about your pick and explain why.

4) The Magnus with the most votes will be added to Re:Legend in-game.

Note: you can only select ONE, so pick carefully.

The rules are pretty simple right? These are the first stage baby Magnus and we're going to develop them into full grown adults so it will contain several evolution stages when you find them in the game.There's also a possibility of it becoming a plushie and without further ado, let us begin!

Week 1 Pick-a-Magnus Set:

5c1c.png

Winning Magnus will be announced in the next update. Enjoy! :)

This looks really cute and personally I love the "Well if Rune Factory is gonna be cancelled and Level 5 is gonna turn Fantasy Life into a mobile franchise, then we're just gonna make our own" attitude.

Lain

Looks like we have the winner.

Update #11: "Pick-a-Magnus" Winner & Magnus Reveal Friday

It's Friday, Friday, gotta reveal Magnus on Friday~ (Rebecca Black - Friday parody). XD

Today we're going to reveal a Magnus in the game and it's going to be something really cute and snuggly. Before we get into that, we shall reveal "Pick-a-Magnus" mini-game result! I'm sure you guys have guessed it through the comment section and here we go:

9h1c.png

This is our first week's winner! Not a real surprise as majority of you guys have voted for this cute little leviathan looking Magnus and it seems be an expected winner. Hopefully next week's "Pick-a-Magnus" would be a closer competition. Here's our favorite comment for this week's mini-game:

Bh1c.jpg

We can't wait to see it in-game and let's proceed to our Magnus reveal Friday! From this point onwards, we will be revealing a special Magnus every Friday and it could be anything ranging from babies to full grown Magnus. #magnusfriday

Without further ado, let's introduce our cute little desert buddy - Snachi!

Ah1c.png

Snachi is a sand dweller and you can find them hidden around the desert biome. They are usually burrowed under the sand so it's a little difficult to find them at times. Even though it may look cute, it is still an omnivore and it will eat you if you ever try to harm it. ;)

Snachi favorite/taming food: Desert Cactus Flower

Specialty: Earth Plowing

News: Snachi will be added as a new plushie add-on after tomorrow's update so stay tuned!

To be honest, I forgot to vote. On the other hand, they all looked nice to me so I'm fine with the winner.

Edit: Also, the Kickstarter reached 190k. 10k more to go for the full VA and just 60k more for the first console port (Switch).

Falk

that puzzling face
Feels odd for me to do one of these, but in the spirit of preventing double posts the way good people avoid cracks in the pavement, the campaign hit SG$200k and 2500 backers:

Update #12: Backers Challenge, New Add-ons, 2500 Backers Special, 200k Stretch Goal!

We're nearly 290% funded and just hit our S$200k stretch goal! So many things are happening today and we are really excited to talk about them! It is thanks to PC Gamer that we're able to hit the stretch goal so quickly today and they have written a neat article about us. Check it out:

http://www.pcgamer.com/monster-taming-meets-stardew-valley-in-this-upcoming-rpg/

Now let us introduce the brand new Backers Challenge board! This is a series of mission that you guys can challenge and every completed challenges will yield one Legend Token. The Legend Token can then be used to unlock special content in the game and the exact amount can be seen in Backers Shop board. Here's the challenge board:

JkvIagy.png

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playrelegend/
Facebook Trailer Share: https://www.facebook.com/playrelegend/videos/477443179281765/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/playrelegend
Twitter Retweets: https://twitter.com/playrelegend/status/890195294616338432
Fanart submission: Anywhere visible to us.

wufdpQA.png

Once we have completed enough challenges, we will be able to unlock all these super cool content in the game! The "Backer's" rewards are backers exclusive so let's complete all the challenges and show it off to your friends!

Other than Backer challenges, today we're going to introduce 3 new add-ons for the campaign and here they are:
G4Wme5G.png

* Addtional Copy of the game: +S$29
* Snachi Plushie: +S$70(+S$30 Shipping fees for tiers without physical rewards)
* Digital Strategy Guide: +S$40

Add-on Instruction:

In order to acquire the add-ons, all you need to do is edit your existing pledges. Increase your pledged amount by the price of the add-ons and let us know through a survey at the end of the campaign will do the trick. Pretty simple isn't it? :D

Without further ado, let's proceed to our 2500 backers special Magnus Evolution Showcase! This will be the 2nd evolution showcase so far and hope you enjoy it!

4Nk324f.png

This is Shroomie and as you can see, it's first evolution path is fixed and it is a little different from the Trocker Crab that we've shown previously. Despite having only one evolution path at first, it can still branch out into different path once it has hit the second evolution. Who knows there are some Magnus that can only truly evolve once they have reached higher maturity. The mechanics that we're trying to present is that evolution path is always dynamic and every Magnus can evolve differently. Predictability is something that we're trying very hard to avoid throughout the game experience.

Phew, that was a lot of new information and we did not expect today's update to contain more information than usual. We apologize for the slight delay and let's talk a little bit about our 200k stretch goal, Full Voice Acting!

We've received lots of feedback from you guys previously and we have made some changes to our voice acting plan to make sure it will improve the overall experience. Since we've hit the stretch goal, we're able to confirmed that we will be having English and Japanese voice acting! We're sure that's good news for a lot of you guys cause we know many players prefer Japanese vocal and English sub while playing games. We will talk more about them in the future and maybe record a few video about our voice acting recording session.

Hopefully that's not too much information in one go and let's work on our next stretch goal, the Underwater Biome! <3

Seems to be picking up steam. Last couple of days have been much stronger than the week before that. Stretch goal hype or good marketing? Whoever is running the KS campaign is doing a really good job with the daily updates, backer contests, etc.

Fancolors

Digging this so far. The aesthetics remind me of something you would see on a 3DS and monster designs brings me back to mid 2000s Korean MMOs.

Lain

Switch goal is really close, only 20k away.

Also, latest update:
Update #13:Underwater Biome Stretch Goal & Fanart Contest!

11 days into the campaign and we've already blew past the 6th stretch goal! That is phenomenal and something that we would not have expected before launching the campaign. We can't thank you enough for the awesome support. <3

Let us proceed to talk about one of the most anticipated stretch goal so far, the Underwater Biome! Before visiting this region, you would need to raise or catch a really big fish so it can carry you and your Magnus all the way to the bottom of the ocean. The Rabbitray in the trailer is a good example of mountable fish and it is a must for you to travel around the island or visit different places such as the underwater biome.

Xp1c.png

The underwater biome is a little different compared to other biomes as it will not be part of the main story and you will have to find it's secret location in the map. Ask around the village and you might find some hints to help you locate the exact position of the biome. There are plenty of bizarre Magnus living in the region and rare resources could be found in abundant hence making the visit extremely rewarding.

Vp1c.jpg

To make sure the underwater biome is packed with awesomeness, we have added "Pick-a-Magnus" second most popular Magnus into this region. We're sure this will make many of you happy so here's the Tital Seal Pup! :D

Wp1c.jpg

We shall leave the discovery to you guys so we are not going to disclose too much about it at the moment. Let's proceed to our next item on the list, the Fanart Contest! We were overjoyed when we saw the first fanart several days ago and many more after that so we would love to reward you guys for the effort.

The fanart contest will run for 2 weeks starting from today(Previous submitted fanart will be included) and three winners will be selected on every Sunday update. The winner will be able to select one of the available plushies as the winning prize so a total of six plushies will be given out in the contest. We're looking forward to see more of your artwork!

News: Digital Strategy Guide add-on will be turned into Physical Strategy Guide and the price will stay the same! No shipping fees will be added for backers who have backed tiers that contain physical rewards and S$30 shipping fee will be added for those without physical rewards.

Too bad I'm no good at that fanart thing.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm not going to take the chance on this project, but I'm happy to see it do well and I'll be there day 1 if it releases in a form that resembles their KS pitch video.

Here's the update from yesterday...

Update #14: Re:Legend Combat Spotlight: Bow & New Backers Shop!

Welcome back from the weekend, we hope you had a great time! Today we're going to showcase our third weapon type and it will the Bow!

NtWu7Zh.png

Bows are mainly for players who love to keep their distance from danger and prefer to attack enemies from afar. You're a range class so you will very vulnerable to attacks if you get too close to melee baddies. As you progress through the bow proficiency levels, the amount of arrows that you can shoot in every attack increases and they will spread out to hit more target. By maxing out the bow proficiency, you will be able to hit lots of enemies in one single shot and cover a huge area.

oKGjeuC.gif

Besides shooting more arrows, you will be able to unlock charging skill just like the other classes. Charging skills for bows have great area of effect and they can deal massive damage over time. Be sure to aim properly before charging up the skills as you will not be able to re-position yourself while charging. Once the charge is finished, the arrow will damage a huge area in front of you.

kQtpLf9.gif

That pretty much sums up the basic of bows and we will talk about other weapon types in the future updates. Up next is the NEW Backers Shop! This particular shop contains higher end content or items in the game, and they require much higher amount of Legend Tokens. When the current challenges are completed, higher tier challenges are unlock like the "Twitter Retweet Challenge" that you guys have completed previously. 4 Legend Tokens can be acquired from each completed base challenges and 3 more can be acquired from each completed higher tier challenges. The total amount of Legend Tokens that you can get is 42.

F3zzxui.png

Here's the New Backers Shop and as you can see the rewards are far greater than the base backers shop. Complete the advance challenges and you will unlock these awesome and backers exclusive content in-game. The last reward contains a very unique Magnus, the Amberlite Golem! We will talk about it if you guys are able to unlock it. ;)

...and here's the update from today!

Update #15: Dual Swords Weapon & Armor Design

We're back with our daily updates and boy oh boy are we close to the Nintendo Switch stretch goal! A little bit more and all of us can play Re:Legend anywhere we want! Lets hope we can hit it by tomorrow and move on to PS4 stretch goal. Today we have something special and we will get everyone involved in part of the game development cycle! Are you excited?!

Everyday we have to make decisions for the game's direction and the most exciting part of it will be deciding which asset are we going to choose to be in the game. For today's update, we're going to present you with our weapon and armor design workflow. We start off by selecting a biome from the game and proceed with designing the materials that could be found along the region. We will combine parts of the loot dropped by wild Magnus and materials found from activities like mining, logging, fishing, farming in the said region and rough up some concepts that could visually contain them. Despite the logic, sometimes we will end up picking the best looking concept instead of trying to fit the materials into them.

Today we're working on a dual sword armor and weapon concept in the Desert biome, so we would love to have you pick the best armor that could fit into the region nicely. Here's the Armor concept:

zMlXCuJ.png

A pair of dual sword will also be going along with the armor design so here's the weapon concept:

LYoKDlM.png

We will give you the power to select a set of weapon and armor that will fit together perfectly, and the highest voted set of weapon and armor will be going into the final game.

Hope you enjoy the update and let us know if you enjoy being part of the development cycle for today. Looking forward to see which combination you will be selecting and the result will be announced tomorrow! Have fun! <3

Hastati

Backed. It's just too cute, and I loved what I played of rune factory.

Grabbed a copy for a friend too, awesome that it has multiplayer, looks like a perfect fit for the Switch.

Damaniel

Banned
Any idea how far along the game is at the moment (that is, is there a tangible game or are they still solidly in the 'concept art/planning' phase)? This is pretty much the game I've always wanted but I don't want to get burned by a team with big ideas but little to show for it.

Oh well, I'll Kickstart it anyway.

Falk

that puzzling face
The KS trailer (which was also a Square Enix Collective trailer with different music a few months back) is all from in-game from various dev builds. Obviously stuff has changed a bit but there you have it.

Speaking a little candidly, there's still a long ways to go from meshing a bunch of functioning features into a game with progression and pacing, but there very much already is some form of 'game'.

Lain

I picked B and B too. They seem like the most apt for a desert setting to me while also maintaining a kind of cool feel.

Kaelan

Damn if it reaches PS4 goal it will be a hard choice. Switch for probability or PS4 for trophies and better online which I do like

kami_sama

Well, color me interested. I really like the concept, and the "throw the fish in the water" gif is great, making your own fishery in part of the lake/river/ocean/whatever is very, very interesting.
Also, Switch! I love when games come to the system!

Edit: backed! I spent a lot of time on Stardew Valley, so this will suck me right in.

I'm surprised this thread didn't got more attention. Based on the KS video the game looks promising and I'm happy to see the campaign doing well.

kami_sama

I'm surprised this thread didn't got more attention. Based on the KS video the game looks promising and I'm happy to see the campaign doing well.

Well, KS saturation is real, and there have been some projects that didn't end up as good as people liked (MN9 and YL) so KS games are getting less attention.
And while the pitch video is great, it is an unknown studio so people are weary.

Oh, I'm really happy this made the switch. My partner absolutely adores Fantasy Life and like minded games,some of our best gaming memories have been co-oping that and Animal Crossing on 3ds. Once there's a few games like this on Switch that deliver, I'm totally going to have to buy a second device ha

I had a look and couldn't spot it, do they have an idea of release window?

Well, KS saturation is real, and there have been some projects that didn't end up as good as people liked (MN9 and YL) so KS games are getting less attention.
And while the pitch video is great, it is an unknown studio so people are weary.

I think saturation/wariness would have very little to do with it. It just doesn't have the advantage of a well-known name or IP behind it. A chibified RPG in a niche subgenre is also naturally going to have a lower ceiling than something like MN9 or YL. It'll probably end up with around $400-500k by the end, which is very good for what it is.

Thores

I think saturation/wariness would have very little to do with it. It just doesn't have the advantage of a well-known name or IP behind it. A chibified RPG in a niche subgenre is also naturally going to have a lower ceiling than something like MN9 or YL. It'll probably end up with around $400-500k by the end, which is very good for what it is.
The thread for the Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter barely broke 2 pages. That IP is HUGE, and Chris Avellone is involved. Kickstarter burnout may not be the only factor, but it's a very real one, especially on GAF.

Falk

that puzzling face
Crowdfunding wariness is completely justified, mind you. I wouldn't say Kickstarters got robbed and are doing poorer than they should nowadays, so much as Kickstarters had a much easier time in their heyday because people were very much willing to look past the practicalities of game dev costs and buying into pie-in-the-sky ideas, because if a big name was involved, then they had to have had a plan, right?

Now, dreaming big on Kickstarter has resulted in a lot of cool things, such as the complete resurgence of the CRPG genre along with a lot of other really cool games, but the disappointment with other projects that limp past the finish line, or, in the case of some, complete cancellation e.g. Yogventures, or being eternally stuck in limbo, probably has made the average backer a lot more savvy about what might or might not be possible given a target budget and talent involved.

Full disclosure: I've been following the project ever since it was Legend of Lumina, although I actually had no idea they were from my home country until about three months ago (which is when we signed on to do the music), so I do know they've been chipping away at this project for a long while and intend to see it through to the end, and I do believe that their game plan for putting the money where the mouth is, is completely sound and in-line with e.g. operating costs for the duration in the region.

kami_sama

Crowdfunding wariness is completely justified, mind you. I wouldn't say Kickstarters got robbed and are doing poorer than they should nowadays, so much as Kickstarters had a much easier time in their heyday because people were very much willing to look past the practicalities of game dev costs and buying into pie-in-the-sky ideas, because if a big name was involved, then they had to have had a plan, right?

Now, dreaming big on Kickstarter has resulted in a lot of cool things, such as the complete resurgence of the CRPG genre along with a lot of other really cool games, but the disappointment with other projects that limp past the finish line, or, in the case of some, complete cancellation e.g. Yogventures, or being eternally stuck in limbo, probably has made the average backer a lot more savvy about what might or might not be possible given a target budget and talent involved.

Full disclosure: I've been following the project ever since it was Legend of Lumina, although I actually had no idea they were from my home country until about three months ago (which is when we signed on to do the music), so I do know they've been chipping away at this project for a long while and intend to see it through to the end, and I do believe that their game plan for putting the money where the mouth is, is completely sound and in-line with e.g. operating costs for the duration in the region.

Two things.
First, didn't know it was called Legend of Lumina before. But they've been working on it for a while it seems, so at least we know it is a real project and there's a working prototype.
And second, you're working on the music for the game?

I vaguely saw this game in a local Facebook group, but I was a bit busy to check it out.

Game seems... pretty cool from the trailer.

I won't lie, I loved Fantasy Life and I'm disappointed there apparently won't be a sequel except on mobile devices.

Not expecting this game to be a replacement, but I wouldn't say "no" to a good cutesy life RPG on the Switch.

Lain

Nice to see the thread gained a little bit of steam haha

Looks like B/B won for the set and I'm happy about it.

Update #16: Nintendo Switch, 3000 Backers Special & Dual Swords Set

We're currently half way through the campaign and we have already hit the very first console stretch goal! Great work everyone! Thank you so much for spreading the words and help us achieved the mission impossible. We cannot thank you enough for this and finally everyone can enjoy the game on Nintendo Switch.

i31c.png

Now that we have hit the Nintendo Switch stretch goal, you will be able to select it as your preferred platform at the end of the campaign. If you have pledged for multiple copies, you can select different platform for each copy as there's no restrictions. We've always aimed to release games on Nintendo's consoles as we grew up playing their awesome games and we would love to be part of their history. We are one step closer to it right now thanks to all of you!

Now let us move on to our 3000 backers special! Today we will be looking at Triemer Snail!(This feels like biology class for some reason...)

j31c.png

The Triemer Snail is classified as a linear evolution Magnus and as you can see, it only has one path of evolution. There are pro and cons for every Magnus and linear evolution Magnus are Magnus that grows at tremendous speed and are easy to handle. They are suitable for tamers who are impatient and do not enjoy complex raising method. Triemer Snail is a great early game Magnus and it will grow faster than the other Magnus that requires specific care and unique evolution conditions. They might look slow and sluggish but they are extremely useful at the beginning so you might want to keep one or two of them early on!

Next up is our Dual swords weapon and armor design result! The winner is.... weapon B and armor B combination! Here's the Sunraid Ryder Set! Whoo!

k31c.png

As expected of you guys, the results are one sided as usual and we find that really intriguing. We will do our best to make sure the next choice is tougher than ever! Let us know if you enjoy being part of the development cycle and if you would love to participate in more of them in the upcoming updates.

Lastly, you guys have cleared the first Backers Challenge board! We were surprised by the clearing speed and we are looking forward to see how fast can you guys clear the second board! :D

l31c.png

Lain

Do we have an ETA on when the Beta for PC/Steam will start ?

Not sure how accurate this is, but someone said Q1 2018 for the beta in the comment section.

In other news, just 7k away from PS4 stretch, and 37k away from X1. If it keeps this pace, the X1 goal will be hit in the next couple of days.

Lain

I wonder if they have been asked about a physical release in the comment section. I haven't been following all their replies over there.

Meanwhile, new update went up with a new Pick-a-Magnus minigame:

Update #17: Backers Exclusive Mini-game Pick-a-Magnus - Week 2!

Welcome back to our Weekly Backers Exclusive Mini-game, Pick-a-Magnus! It was a one sided vote last week so we're going to make it a little harder this time around. It will be no fun if most of the votes go to the same Magnus and we're pretty sure it's going to be more challenging today. As usual, here are the rules of the mini-game:

Pick-a-Magnus Rules:

1) We will be posting a set of Magnus concept labelled from A - J.

2) You will go through every single one of them and select your favorite concept.

3) Leave a comment about your pick and explain why.

4) The Magnus with the most votes will be added to Re:Legend in-game.

Note: you can only select ONE, so pick carefully.

The rules are still the same as the previous week and these are also the first stage baby Magnus. They will be evolving into powerful Magnus in the future and you will be guiding their fate today. YOU will make the choice and decide if they will live or remain as abandoned sketches for eternity. Now let us begin!

Week 2 Pick-a-Magnus Choices:

d71c.png

As usual, the winning Magnus will be announced tomorrow and have fun picking your favorite Magnus!

Note: We're REALLY close to PS4 stretch goal! Let's do this!

I picked B myself, the pot is kinda cute to me.

Top Bottom