• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red vs. Pink Salmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMigs85

My local store has Bumblebee canned pink and red salmon, but the red costs about 3x as much. Is it worth it or do they taste pretty similar?

ameratsu

If it's farmed salmon, it just has to do with how much astaxanthin and canthaxanthin they add to the salmon feed.

If the package doesn't specify "wild" (not to be confused with "wild caught") then assume you're buying farmed salmon.

salmofan111.jpg

Big-E

about as incorrect as a person can possibly be.

LOL. You know nothing. I come from the land of salmon. King (what I call spring), and silver (what I call Coho) are vastly superior to Red (what I call sockeye). Sockeye is a canning fish as it is good for cans. I don't eat salmon out of a can. Sockeye is the "top salmon" for people who can't afford the others. I am not saying I am rich as I only have Spring and Coho rarely and Sockeye is good in a pinch but can't hold a candle to those two.

Izayoi

Banned
LOL. You know nothing. I come from the land of salmon. King (what I call spring), and silver (what I call Coho) are vastly superior to Red (what I call sockeye). Sockeye is a canning fish as it is good for cans. I don't eat salmon out of a can. Sockeye is the "top salmon" for people who can't afford the others. I am not saying I am rich as I only have Spring and Coho rarely and Sockeye is good in a pinch but can't hold a candle to those two.
I lived in Alaska most of my life, and the opinion there is exactly the same. People don't even consider eating Pink, I was surprised when I moved to the lower 48 and it was commonplace.

moist

You don't come from the land of salmon if you use these terms. Copper river red > *

Big-E

I lived in Alaska most of my life, and the opinion there is exactly the same. People don't even consider eating Pink, I was surprised when I moved to the lower 48 and it was commonplace.

I don't think what people realize is that Sockeye is eating plankton all day. The others are eating other things.

zerotol

Banned
Surprised to see that some people prefer trout over salmon. I always thought rainbow trout was kind of bland and full of tiny little bones. It's not bad, I just always liked salmon better.

Izayoi

Banned
Surprised to see that some people prefer trout over salmon. I always thought rainbow trout was kind of bland and full of tiny little bones. It's not bad, I just always liked salmon better.
Pan-fried rainbow is damn good, but I perfer salmon over trout as well.

DonMigs85

I decided to get the red since they rarely have it in stock here and will have it for dinner tomorrow - however if the taste doesn't warrant the premium price, I'll go back to pink next time.
And is Keta salmon really supposed to be bad?

ameratsu

Norway is top. We don't farm that much actually because Atlantic salmon is more suited to farming.

EDIT: Wikipedia has a good article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaculture_of_salmon

Norway and Chile account for two thirds of the farm salmon produced. Most Chinook/Spring/King is farmed in New Zealand of all places.

I agree that BC is a relatively small producer compared to Norway, Chile, etc. But the BC farmed salmon industry is still worth $500 million annually.

Yes, Atlantic Salmon is well suited to farming even in the Pacific Ocean. Atlantic Salmon is the the most common type of fish farmed in BC by far; Pacific Salmon now represents a very small percentage of overall salmon production in the province. See here.

Big-E

I agree that BC is a relatively small producer compared to Norway, Chile, etc. But the BC farmed salmon industry is still worth $500 million annually.

Yes, Atlantic Salmon is well suited to farming even in the Pacific Ocean. Atlantic Salmon is the the most common type of fish farmed in BC by far; Pacific Salmon now represents a very small percentage of overall salmon production in the province. See here.

Which is why I say that most of the salmon I see abroad is the farmed Norway crap and if it were farmed BC salmon it is still Atlantic which doesn't hold a candle to the greatest of the spring and coho and to the lesser extent, sockeye.

DonMigs85

Well, I had the Bumblebee red salmon for dinner and I have to say, it wasn't dramatically better tasting than the pink - certainly not enough to warrant a 3x price increase.

mavs

Coho is always the cheapest of the three if you're buying from Alaska. Sockeye is better anyway, Chinook is too bland and Coho tastes musty.

OP, Keta is bad because it doesn't taste like (Pacific) salmon. It just tastes like fish.

Well, I had the Bumblebee red salmon for dinner and I have to say, it wasn't dramatically better tasting than the pink - certainly not enough to warrant a 3x price increase.

Dude, just buy whatever fresh fish you can get where you are. Canning Pacific salmon is just a waste of fish and money.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Get red salmon, cream cheese and bagels.

Oh sogood.gif

what do you do with canned salmon, anyway? Last time I had it was my mom making like fried salmon patty sandwiches with it when I was a kid.

DonMigs85

I read that apparently pink salmon tends to spoil rapidly or lose flavor fast compared to most other varieties of salmon, so that's why there was always a historic preference for red. However thanks to modern refrigeration and canning techniques, pink salmon taste and quality (at least in canned form) is just as good if not slightly better than red salmon. They did a blind taste test for canned salmon and there was a slight preference for pink.

http://www.purealaskasalmon.com/red-salmon-versus-pink-salmon-versus-tuna-2

So when it comes to canned, I guess the premium for red isn't really worth it.

Clydefrog

Ever since I got into the trout game I haven't even fucked with salmon. Trout for life.

Ever since I got into the puffer fish game I haven't even fucked with trout. Fugu for life.

sockeye salmon for life

edit: wait you're talking about CANNED salmon? wtf, gross.

DonMigs85

Ever since I got into the puffer fish game I haven't even fucked with trout. Fugu for life.

sockeye salmon for life

edit: wait you're talking about CANNED salmon? wtf, gross.

Hey now, it can be good on its own, in salmon patties or in salads and pasta sauce.

Salmon is fish and therefore not fit for human consumption.

Ehh, it can be an acquired taste. I didn't like sardines and most other fish as a kid but now I love them and can't imagine life without them. I only eat beef and pork a few times a month now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom