• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Possible mass shooting at office park in Maryland

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for that conservative crane-rigged billboard off I-70 to replace their ANTI-NFL message with a pro gun message next week.

Aye, school is on "modified Lockdown", they haven't said anything to teachers or students yet.

Looks like a workplace thing, but holy hell.
Good. I am glad to hear that. I am fairly freaked out, but my wife and I are in Aberdeen right now, so at least I know where she is.

LiK

Looks like it's considered a workplace shooting.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/920675948021927937

NEW: Maryland State Police releases picture of Radee Labeeb Prince, man suspected in workplace shooting http://cbsn.ws/2gsjrUB

DMbl5PPX0AA6zOs.jpg

He's on the run.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/920676256009654273

MORE: Police say Radee Labeeb Prince may be seen in 2008 Black GMC Acadia SUV; suspect considered armed & dangerous http://cbsn.ws/2yyZGRH

shiba5

Can't wait for that conservative crane-rigged billboard off I-70 to replace their ANTI-NFL message with a pro gun message next week.

Oh god, I know exactly what you're talking about. At one point, he had Hillary in a jail cell. Dude is nuts.

Two Words

The sad thing is that the fact that the gunman is black will completely nullify this as a gun issue for many Americans. They’re just going to see this as another “dangerous black man.”

zeemumu

My girlfriend is going to an on-campus event at the end of the month, and I couldn't feel more anxious about it right now. I know it isn't right, but I might attempt to talk her out of it.

You're being paranoid. You can't just hide yourself and your girlfriend away from any place where there will be a crowd.

Gin-Shiio

Talk her out of going to a college campus? What?

Don't let fear ruin your relationship like this.

I don't think voicing my worries regarding her safety would ruin my relationship with her. That said, I wouldn't stop her if she insisted on going.

Do you have a fear of her going to any place where groups of people might be gathered?
You're being paranoid. You can't just hide yourself and your girlfriend away from any place where there will be a crowd.

That's a fair point. It's easy to feel on edge as of late.

Don't man. These type of things are heartbreaking but don't let fear consume you.

You're right. I suppose this is just part of American life. Thanks, everyone.

I don't think voicing my worries regarding her safety would ruin my relationship with her. That said, I wouldn't stop her if she insisted on going.

That's a fair point. It's easy to feel on edge as of late.

You're right. I suppose this is just part of American life. Thanks, everyone.

Basically. As long as the rich and powerful aren’t affected or dead, the common people live with the fact
mass shooting can and will happen to them if they’re in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Kite

The sad thing is that the fact that the gunman is black will completely nullify this as a gun issue for many Americans. They’re just going to see this as another “dangerous black man.”
At least there won't be any posts about why this isn't labeled a terrorist attack in the media.

I mean, if he was white then they’d just trip over themselves with “mental illness”. There’s always a reason it’s not guns. Fucking insane.

Force lawmakers to do something about it and change the culture locally. America could be better and everyone knows this.

How would you suggest forcing lawmakers to do something about it? You have a quasi-government special interest group funneling millions of dollars to said lawmakers each year that is arguably more powerful that any currently existing arm of the government itself.

It wouldn’t matter either way. Gun nuts aren’t changing their minds.

It wouldn’t matter either way. Gun nuts aren’t changing their minds.
I mean, case in point, literally their first thought after every shooting is to buy more guns out of fear this shooting will be the one to prompt stricter laws. It’s disgusting.

Then you have the folks that threatened the life of that one guy from Phoenix who decided to give up his guns after Vegas.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Basically. As long as the rich and powerful aren't affected or dead, the common people live with the fact
mass shooting can and will happen to them if they're in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I don't think it will stop, even if someone rich and powerful dies. All the other rich and powerful people will just say "eh, it wasn't me who died" and keep on going.

Again. Dont these lunatics know this is not going to end well. I'm sure whatever reason this guys believes is a good reason to do this.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

yup. Several thoughts go through my head 1 being not again 2 i hope the shooter isnt black.

no one wants to accept that you're far more likely to be killed by an angry white man with a gun than you are a terrorist or a person of color.

It'll be "fun" to compare and contrasts Trump's response to this shooting made by a black man vs the Las Vegas one made by a white American.

No one even remembers Las Vegas anymore and the conversation about gun control came and went as it always does.

See you next time, America!

The narrative between a white and nonwhite gunman is a huge difference. From what I've seen it's always been "poor white guy, blah blah blah...." When it's a non-white, then it's "angry non-white person with X number of arrests did this....blah blah blah."

Both are at fault with what they did, but the narrative is so different.

I don't think it will stop, even if someone rich and powerful dies. All the other rich and powerful people will just say "eh, it wasn't me who died" and keep on going.
I mean, the GOP got shot up at a baseball game and one of the victims just stood up and went “yay guns” right after Vegas, so there you go.

Yup, this is the extra depressing part.

Sigh... I'm losing hope for y'all America, but I'll still "pray" for y'all. [figure of speech, don't believe in prayer]

Lucreto

Nothing will change it. Someone can take out the entire leadership of the NRA and nothing will happen.

Yup, this is the extra depressing part.

Sigh... I'm losing hope for y'all America, but I'll still "pray" for y'all. [figure of speech, don't believe in prayer]
whatcha talking about, “thoughts and prayers” solve everything!
Nothing will change it. Someone can take out the entire leadership of the NRA and nothing will happen.
Exactly. They’d probably wind up with thousands of folks throwing their hats in the ring to replace them.

I have a few friends that own a shitload of guns. I've been shooting with them before, but not once was I convinced or tempted to start my own collection. Just not for me.

I see the number of guns they own and I just question, "why someone need that many guns for since one is limited on how to use them?" I get it that some people like collecting like one collecting old consoles or baseball cards.

I dont know. They're just not for me.

It's weird that people in this thread are acting like this will be more than a day or two new story before being completely dropped.

Lucreto

I have a few friends that own a shitload of guns. I've been shooting with them before, but not once was I convinced or tempted to start my own collection. Just not for me.

I see the number of guns they own and I just question, "why someone need that many guns for since one is limited on how to use them?" I get it that some people like collecting like one collecting old consoles or baseball cards.

I dont know. They're just not for me.

There should be a limit on the amount people own. I have no problem people collecting guns but they should be decommissioned.

Nictel

First and foremost: This is the most awful thing to happen to the victims and their loved ones.

Secondly:
We need to arm teachers, children and toddlers at schools. Only way to prevent this.
Or gun control laws, LOL!

How would you suggest forcing lawmakers to do something about it? You have a quasi-government special interest group funneling millions of dollars to said lawmakers each year that is arguably more powerful that any currently existing arm of the government itself.

The power of NRA's money is overrated by liberals for sure. It's more about the fact a lot of people agree with other reasons why shootings occur and don't jump to gun control as the solution.

Gun control advocates have to keep raising hell and holding politicians accountable until they get what they want. Or give up. It's their choice.

The NRA’s Power isn’t money, though they do spend a fair bit, it’s that they’re impossibly obsessive, extremely coordinated, and absurdly active. They are more proactive in pushing their agenda and their propaganda than anyone else by far. Any time anything even tangential related to a tangent of gun control crops up they put out a highly coordinated push to control the messaging and yell into congress’s voicemail boxes to maintain to the status quo.

Top Bottom