• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Microsoft using a Nvidia GTX 7xx in the Xbox One demo units?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This picture was shot at e3

_1371234242.jpg

Look closely at the card in the desktop.

Apparently the demo units for the Xbox aren't using dev kits that are at the same level as what the Xbox specs are going to be. They are using PC's that have an Nvidia GTX card inside. For anyone that doesn't know about graphic cards and the technology differences, an Nvidia GTX 700 card should be much more powerful than the GPU in what will be the Xbox One.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Unlimited power of the cloud.

nesboy43

Banned
Because they want to show games that look better than what the system is actually capable of, it has been going on for a very long time.

jaosobno

It isn't that strange to have dev kits with more powerful hardware...

Xbone has 1.2 TFLOPS GPU (or 800-900 GFLOPS if downclock happened) and they use 4 TFLOPS GPU to demonstrate? I smell bullshit and a decent downgrade of visuals in actual games.

Savitar

Got to love the little tricks and flash they do to get away with such things.

Kinda sad how it's normal business.

FtsH

.....Never mind I see it now...HP branded computer with GTX graphics card...Can someone figure out its model?

Karak

ya weird. Crytek devs on Beyond3d stated that that game(Ryse) was on actual Xbox One hardware. So there is one.

Silky

Banned
That's a build of LocoCycle.
Which is a 360 game.
Which i'm pretty sure they're demoing the 360 build.
That's probably the reason why?

Raide

If E3 was about having real code or fully working games with no issues or complications, E3 would have hardly any games to play. It might as well be the Ouya sized event.

Because they want to show games that look better than what the system is actually capable of, it has been going on for a very long time.

This sort of . . . . I think they are cheating a bit for now with the un-optimized code. But they'll be able to optimize it over the next few months to make it look as good one the xbone as it looks on the demo system.

commedieu

Banned
Making the game look better than it actually will at launch.

This is going to be such a car wreck. If pic in op is true, and it is Nvidia(not amd) they are showing off what the game, running in windows, on a PC, would look like, in HOPES that they can get their hardware(rumored to be gimped and inefficient) working on it before the holiday season.

So as of today, there is no Xbone running software at e3?

If E3 was about having real code or fully working games with no issues or complications, E3 would have hardly any games to play. It might as well be the Ouya sized event.

Bullshit.

At E3' your games crash. You don't bring specifications of a system that aren't mirroring your console at all, and play it on that. Everyone warns that its buggy before you play it, and often even shoulder-play next to you. Microsoft's PR has to redefine everything, i see now its E3 as a gaming expo. Now all of a sudden devs didn't have kits as well as consoles running hardware in the past. Not Performance PC's.

Ploid 3.0

It isn't that strange to have dev kits with more powerful hardware...

It's comparable specs when that happens though. This is a Nvidia card and much more powerful. Nvidia isn't AMD.

Example, if I get a AMD card (I have Nvidia) I'd lose the nice Nvidia drivers I am used to, and have to switch over to AMD. Amd have different features than Nvidia. One of the reasons they had a harder time porting Xbox to 360 was because it wasn't nvidia right?

thuway said that games will get a big graphical downgrade after first being shown

I will laugh if it turns out to be true.

Maybe we can get CBOAT to clarify?

Yeah. Sony had been guilty of it before but I think they learned their lesson with Killzone 2 (hopefully).

Wasn't one of the insiders claiming that the Xbone games would look better the first time we see them before getting downgraded?

Crisium

Also keep in mind the only cards that are labelled like that are the:

Titan, 780, and 770. But the latter two of those cards only launched within the past few weeks. It is unlikely they only threw this together recently, so these devs kits are almost certainly running the GTX Titan.

The $1000 GTX Titan

The leaked Xbone specs make it most comparable to the $140 Radeon 7790.

Make your own conclusion as to what a Titan in there really means.

charsace

Apparently the demo units for the Xbox aren't using dev kits that are at the same level as what the Xbox specs are going to be. They are using PC's that have an Nvidia GTX card inside. For anyone that doesn't know about graphic cards and the technology differences, an Nvidia GTX 700 card should be much more powerful than the GPU in what will be the Xbox One.

To emulate the entire system?

Raide

This is going to be such a car wreck. If pic in op is true, and it is Nvidia(not amd) they are showing off what the game, running in windows, on a PC, would look like, in HOPES that they can get their hardware(rumored to be gimped and inefficient) working on it before the holiday season.

So as of today, there is no Xbone running software at e3?

Do we know what games were supposedly show on these PC's?

Judging by the cooler, that's either a GTX 780 or a Titan (it's probably the Titan as only it has enough VRAM) which are more than 3x faster than the Xbox One GPU, why would MS use PCs with such a massive performance jump over the real hardware?

Coconut

Banned

Because that's a PC. They aren't demoing that machines they are demoing the game.

Sendou

Also keep in mind the only cards that are labelled like that are the:

Titan, 780, and 770. But the latter two of those cards only launched within the past few weeks. It is unlikely they only threw this together recently, so these devs kits are almost certainly running the GTX Titan.

The $1000 GTX Titan

The leaked Xbone specs make it most comparable to the $140 Radeon 7790.

Make your own conclusion as to what a Titan in there really means.

I'm pretty sure my 680 is labelled like that.

Top Bottom