• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christer (6 years old), asked the king to be named "Sonic X"

Tailzo

A norwegian newspaper and website (Dagbaldet) wrote about a boy who asked his parents to write a letter to the king, and ask him to change Christer's name to "Sonic X". After a while the parents decided to let the kid write a letter himself.

Christer saw that the letter was not posted yet, and kept asking his parents to send it. So they actually did. Sadly (or rather fortunately), the king had to politely decline, as Christer was not yet 18 years old.

Link:
http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/04/23/nyheter/innenriks/navn/5882735/

What does this tell us? Is Sonic very popular among kids nowadays?

Rolf NB

Tailzo said:
You can't well specifically target tasteless yahoos with zero quality standards without kids turning up first and foremost.

Tailzo said:
Yes, Norway has a King.

Yes, but among 6 years old? Wouldn't 3d games be way too complicated for them?

Nope, just tonight I saw a 4 year old playing Mario 64 and Tony Hawk on the DS. These kids are growing up with 3D games, the same way we grew up with 2D ones. It's kind of scary really.

Kids still love Sonic, adults want to love Sonic. A great Sonic game could sell tons to everyone.

Chairhome

You do realize that Sonic X is the name of the cartoon (at least here in the States) and its possible that this kid didn't even know that it was a video game character. Unless it says so in the article that I did not read.

Wollan

gofreak said:
You have to write to the King to get your name changed?
No but this was a kid.

Doc Evils said:
Norway has a king?
Yup. 'Harald V of Norway'.

file.image.jpg

The man inspected me some years back:
KongensInspeksjon.jpg

abombb

Banned
Tailzo said:
Yes, Norway has a King.

You'd be surprised (that's why you hear them nonstop in your mic)

Parents are pretty stupid if they actually sent it.

Surely it shouldve been a 'Santa Claus List' deal of "yes we posted that letter asking the King to change your name to Sonic X, we certainly didnt pretend to post it and are lying to you right now so when you are 11 or 12 you dont regret this heartily!!"

Wollan

Reminds me of a personal story actually.

When I was six I drew down some plans for a boat that could turn into a helicopter (obviously inspired by Transformers). I asked my parents to write a letter asking a certain professor (highly regarded person in one of the bigger universities in the country), asking if he could build this for me.

He replied back that if I built him a backpack that could fly him around he would do me this favor hehe.

fanboi

Banned
Wollan said:

When I was six I drew down some plans for a boat that could turn into a helicopter (obviously inspired by Transformers). I asked my parents to write a letter asking a certain professor (highly regarded person in one of the bigger universities in the country), asking if he could build this for me.

He replied back that if I built him a backpack that could fly him around he would do me this favor hehe.

What is it with you people with writing people you don't know!

Go catch a whale or something! ;|)

Wollan said:

I hope you fly that boat to the moon somehow

fanboi

Banned
Wollan said:
No but this was a kid.

Yup. 'Harald V of Norway'.

file.image.jpg

Also, our king is WAY better:

10030.jpg

And you have always wonder... how his child could look like this:

madde.jpg

That shit is just insane.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tailzo said:
He probably likes Sonic Youth and Static-X.
Nothing to see here.

Ramenman

That tells me that some parents are a bit too nice. They were probably sure the king would decline when they sent the letter, but if you can't talk your son out of the idea of having "Sonic X" as his first name it's a bit worrying :/

Tailzo said:

:lol

That's funny because I was 6 years old when I played Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider 2 and Spyro.

Tenks

fanboi said:
And you have always wonder... how his child could look like this:

madde.jpg

That shit is just insane.

Plastic surgery, army of hair and makeup artists, nutritionist, workout coach and access to the top designer clothing brands generally leads to an attractive female

fanboi

Banned
Tenks said:
Plastic surgery, army of hair and makeup artists, nutritionist, workout coach and access to the top designer clothing brands generally leads to an attractive female

No plastic surgery there... but still, even without all that... she is damn hot.

Johann

fanboi said:
What is it with you people with writing people you don't know!

Go catch a whale or something! ;|)

I wrote to the CEO (or some higher-up) of Crayola and he gave me $600 worth of Crayola products. He said I reminded him of his grandson.

kottila

fanboi said:
Also, our king is WAY better:

At least our king is able to spell his name correctly...but your kings daughters definately beat ours

Tenks said:

She's just naturally hot, always has been. It's the nordic genes.

Tailzo

Ramenman said:
That tells me that some parents are a bit too nice. They were probably sure the king would decline when they sent the letter, but if you can't talk your son out of the idea of having "Sonic X" as his first name it's a bit worrying :/

:lol

That's funny because I was 6 years old when I played Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider 2 and Spyro.
I played Sonic the Hedgehog (1) and other 2d games. I guess 3D games are easy for children these days. But even I had some toruble playing through the last stages of Sonic Unleashed... Not that i am a great gamer, but I am 24 years old.

Tobor

From the way the thread title is worded, I thought Christer asked the king to change names. You have to admit, King Sonic X sounds interesting.

Tailzo

Tobor said:
From the way the thread title is worded, I thought Christer asked the king to change names. You have to admit, King Sonic X sounds interesting.
True. I should've written something like:

Christer (6 years old), asked the king if he could change hsi name from Christer to "Sonic X"

or

Christer (6 years old), asked the king if he could change his name to "Sonic X"

or maybe

Christer (6 years old), wanted to change his name to "Sonic X", so he asked the king!

Ramenman

Tailzo said:
I played Sonic the Hedgehog (1) and other 2d games. I guess 3D games are easy for children these days. But even I had some toruble playing through the last stages of Sonic Unleashed... Not that i am a great gamer, but I am 24 years old.

Well I didn't play Unleashed through the end, but the design flaws I encountered lead me to believe that may be it wasn't only coming from you :D

Also, playing games doesn't mean finishing them.

At 6 years old you just play to play. Finishing games was never really an objective to me.
And if it's really too hard, you just cheat code your way out of it. I did that a lot too.

fanboi

Banned
kottila said:
At least our king is able to spell his name correctly...but your kings daughters definately beat ours

She's just naturally hot, always has been. It's the nordic genes.

Dont make me Little Mac you.

Tailzo

Ramenman said:
Well I didn't play Unleashed through the end, but the design flaws I encountered lead me to believe that may be it wasn't only coming from you :D

Also, playing games doesn't mean finishing them.

At 6 years old you just play to play. Finishing games was never really an objective to me.
And if it's really too hard, you just cheat code your way out of it. I did that a lot too.

That may be true. My earliest memories of Sonic 1 was mostly replaying Green Hill Zone a countless of times.

Top Bottom