• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Issues thread

AirBrian

I think I ****ed my Wii tonight. We were playing Excite Truck and wanted to play Wii Sports. So not thinking, I just ejected Excite Truck from its main menu. The Wii then asked to insert the Excite Truck disc back in. I did and nothing happened. So I unplugged the Wii and plugged it back in and it boots right up. So I put Wii Sports in and we played for over 2 hours. I turned off the Wii, said my goodbyes, and came back in to play Excite Truck. Now I get this:

Wii said:
The system files are corrupted. Please refer to the Wii Operations Manual for help troubleshooting.

The only thing I can find on the Nintendo support site is this similar error:

"Wii console save memory is corrupted" error message

This message indicates that there is a problem with the Wii console's system memory and a repair is necessary. Please click here for repair options.
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/memory.jsp#corrupt

Looks like I'll be sending it in for repair. MOTHER****ER!!

fresquito

AirBrian said:
I think I ****ed my Wii tonight. We were playing Excite Truck and wanted to play Wii Sports. So not thinking, I just ejected Excite Truck from its main menu. The Wii then asked to insert the Excite Truck disc back in. I did and nothing happened. So I unplugged the Wii and plugged it back in and it boots right up. So I put Wii Sports in and we played for over 2 hours. I turned off the Wii, said my goodbyes, and came back in to play Excite Truck. Now I get this:

The only thing I can find on the Nintendo support site is this similar error:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/memory.jsp#corrupt

Looks like I'll be sending it in for repair. MOTHER****ER!!
It sounds like you turned it off while saving data. Maybe you have to format the Flash Memory (or hopefully just erase the data for the game having the problem) :-/ However, before doing, take a second opinion :)

AirBrian

fresquito said:
It sounds like you turned it off while saving data. Maybe you have to format the Flash Memory (or hopefully just erase the data for the game having the problem) :-/ However, before doing, take a second opinion :)
Yeah, that was my first thought too, but I ejected Excite Truck at the main menu. It wasn't saving or anything. :|

Also, I can't even get to any screen to erase/format the saved data. Immediately after the warning screen comes on is when I get the error message. :-(

tetsuoxb said:
I just started getting this issue today. They are called sparkles, and I am disappointed they are occuring. I think a recent system update caused it.

Sparkles, yes! Finally found other people with the same issues as me. I got it pre-Weather and Internet Channel updates, btw.

If anyone else has this, can you test it in the intro in Super Mario 64, where Peach is reading the letter. The sparkles/snow/dots show up real obvious there.

So I got an import S-Video cable since that was what Nintendo CS recommended, but that didn't fix it. It sort of actually makes it look worse since S-Video makes everything sharper on my TV.

Since that didn't work, Nintendo sent me a paid stamp to mail my Wii to be repaired. I'm really hoping that it can be repaired and not replaced. Damn it. :mad:

AirBrian

So this morning I turn on the Wii right before I'm about to call Nintendo, and it works perfectly fine. I load Wii Sports and Excite Truck and all the saves are there. WTF?! Maybe the system was on for too long? Who knows, but it looks like I'm off to buy an SD card today just in case. :|

My Wii is updating and hasn't moved in the past hour. :(

Edit: Maybe the servers are just slow. My internet is just fine though.

Edit: Crap, it's still hasn't moved. It's not frozen, it simply isn't doing anything.

Vargas

I have had my Wii since launch and I got the component cables as soon as they were available. As soon as I play a game with the component cables the screen will freeze every few seconds. A green or grey line will run horitzontally across the screen. As you can guess it can be a real problem with Wii sports. I called Nintendo up and the rep wasn't even aware of the problem since they never received any other calls about such a problem. They sent me a replacement set of cables but I got the same problem.

I do not think that inputs on my TV are the problem since my cable box is connected through them and I haven't had any problem with the box ever. I have a Dell W3207C 32 inch TV. Any help would be great.

blahness

I had a wiimote crap out on me last friday. My wifes 8yr old cousin was playing wii sports and clanged the nuchuck and wiimote together accidentally. After that the hand pointer would not show up, but the controller still functioned otherwise. I called nintendo and i should have one by the end of the week... good thing i have 3 other wiimotes :)

tetsuoxb

gettergooey said:
Sparkles, yes! Finally found other people with the same issues as me. I got it pre-Weather and Internet Channel updates, btw.

If anyone else has this, can you test it in the intro in Super Mario 64, where Peach is reading the letter. The sparkles/snow/dots show up real obvious there.

So I got an import S-Video cable since that was what Nintendo CS recommended, but that didn't fix it. It sort of actually makes it look worse since S-Video makes everything sharper on my TV.

Since that didn't work, Nintendo sent me a paid stamp to mail my Wii to be repaired. I'm really hoping that it can be repaired and not replaced. Damn it. :mad:

Do you have any update on your sparkles? I tried it out on a non-HDTV at 480i and they are less noticable than at component wide 480p but they are definitely still there.

brigadeer

About a week before Christmas, my Wii started to exhibit some discoloration in spots of games and in the Wii menu, and then started pixelating real bad in spots as well. Doing a little research, I found that these were signs indicative of internal overheating.

I called Nintendo about a day or so before Christmas, they offered me the advance replacement plan which I gladly accepted, took my credit card, and then shipped me off a BRAND NEW Wii, as opposed to a refurb. My Nintendo rep told me that all replacements for the next month would be brand new units as they had to stockpile a certain amount of refurb units before they could start going to those.

One thing that did bother me during this process is that my rep told me up front that I would be losing any virtual console games, and that there was no way to save them. He told me the EULA you agree to when you sign up for the Shopping Channel clearly states this. At that point, I had only downloaded Bonks Adventure, and only wound up losing $5. Still, makes me mad that I lose $5 because their console was defective.

Reading the Wii technical forums for awhile, it seems that a lot of other people were having issues similar to mine. The general consensus was that the people that were having overheating issues had their Wii placed in a Horizontal position, and had Wii 24 connect turned on, and standby mode on so that the Wii never turns off.

Apparently when in standby mode, the Wii uses only slightly less power than when on and running, which seems to be the issue. When the Wii is on and running, the fans are activated and funnel out the hot air. When in standby mode, the Wii is using slightly less power, which means it is generating heat, but has NO way to activate the fans to cool the console down if it gets hot. People also seem to think that the Wii gets better ventilation in the Vertical position using the stand than not. I don't understand that theory at all, but it's out there.

brigadeer

One last note. My replacement Wii was in fact a brand new unit, and to my surprise, came pre-loaded with the Weather Channel, and was completely up to date software wise.

My original launch day Wii was great, but I was always annoyed and the cursor when on the Wii dashboard screen, and it wouldn't move smoothly, and was herky jerky alot . Well, the new Wii does not have that problem at all. The cursor is rock solid and moves so more smoothly. I wonder if in the new firmware or software version that they made this better?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
my wii crapped out doing the update and said "internet error" now every now and then it comes up with the error "the system files are corrupted" and to read the manual, a reboot gets it running and I now can't get it online for at least 10 more days.

I keep getting the same two mail messages again and again, about the Forecast channels and Internet channel. I have downloaded both of those, but I still keep getting the messages again every time I delete or read them and turn Wii on stand by.

tetsuoxb

brigadeer said:
About a week before Christmas, my Wii started to exhibit some discoloration in spots of games and in the Wii menu, and then started pixelating real bad in spots as well. Doing a little research, I found that these were signs indicative of internal overheating.

I called Nintendo about a day or so before Christmas, they offered me the advance replacement plan which I gladly accepted, took my credit card, and then shipped me off a BRAND NEW Wii, as opposed to a refurb. My Nintendo rep told me that all replacements for the next month would be brand new units as they had to stockpile a certain amount of refurb units before they could start going to those.

One thing that did bother me during this process is that my rep told me up front that I would be losing any virtual console games, and that there was no way to save them. He told me the EULA you agree to when you sign up for the Shopping Channel clearly states this. At that point, I had only downloaded Bonks Adventure, and only wound up losing $5. Still, makes me mad that I lose $5 because their console was defective.

Reading the Wii technical forums for awhile, it seems that a lot of other people were having issues similar to mine. The general consensus was that the people that were having overheating issues had their Wii placed in a Horizontal position, and had Wii 24 connect turned on, and standby mode on so that the Wii never turns off.

Apparently when in standby mode, the Wii uses only slightly less power than when on and running, which seems to be the issue. When the Wii is on and running, the fans are activated and funnel out the hot air. When in standby mode, the Wii is using slightly less power, which means it is generating heat, but has NO way to activate the fans to cool the console down if it gets hot. People also seem to think that the Wii gets better ventilation in the Vertical position using the stand than not. I don't understand that theory at all, but it's out there.

Yay. That is the sparkles issue. My wii was in standby and with WiiConnect24 on, but stayed in vertical mode. Sounds like a call for warranty repair when I get home.

Actually, I just read the US EULAs and there is nothing about losing your VC games. Maybe because you chose the advance replacement plan.

Ranger X

This over-heating theory is bullshit because what would cause the more heat is probably the GPU and also the CPU when the GPU is running. When on standy, the CPU doesn't do much and the GPU doesn't do shit.

But about people losing their VC games, that's bullshit. Your games ARE registered online automatically when you purshase them. Nintendo could check what you bought and redownload them for you. If they don't do this they are a ****ing scam.

tetsuoxb

Ranger X said:
This over-heating theory is bullshit because what would cause the more heat is probably the GPU and also the CPU when the GPU is running. When on standy, the CPU doesn't do much and the GPU doesn't do shit.

But about people losing their VC games, that's bullshit. Your games ARE registered online automatically when you purshase them. Nintendo could check what you bought and redownload them for you. If they don't do this they are a ****ing scam.

Yeah, but the download is tied to hardware. If you choose advance replacement instead of repair, you get new hardware and thus do not get your games.

The overheating thing is probably a simplistic way of saying that the chips don't like to be left constantly on. I suspect it might be a manufacturing defect only present after chips are burned in, and Nintendo probably doesn't burn everything in during production. However, my money on pixel dropout or "sparkling" being a soley GPU issue.

Last night i got home from work and wanted to play a bit of Excitetruck when i couldnt turn on the system from the remote. So i turned it on manually and when i got to the menu none of my controllers would connect with the system. all four of the controllers would flash on their blue lights but would jsut shut off from there. I've tried new batteries and resyncing them but to no success. Does anyone know whats happening?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've started polling friends about their systems, and quite a few are getting the slighty red / blue discoloration blobs on the right and left side of the screen when in the primary system screens (dashboard), but not in games and not only once the system heats up.

So far, nobody has had sparkles or GPU corruption in pixels on the screen. The basic white background of the system screens, such as the update download window and message board, begin to discolor a bit almost immediately.

One person had the Wii hooked up to a CRT HDTV and the red / blue blobs stayed on the screen for a minute after changing the output to a television channel. His theory is that the Wii's video mode for its dashboard is tweaked poorly and it is overdriving the video output, might even present a danger of screen burn-in. Somebody else also said that the discoloration blobs showed up after the current round of system updates.

My own system also displays this behavior but zero actual graphic corruption in games, including hours-long zelda sessions. Also, it remains a bit warm when sitting in standby mode / connect 24, but not hot.

Any money on some of these issues being incorrect video driver settings in the current firmware revision?

On VC games and replacement consoles: I've seen claims that Nintendo is currently using your My Nintendo account link to verify VC game purchases in case they have to replace your system, and under those circumstances, can restore games to the new console and serial number so long as they were purchased while the Wii shop account was linked to My Nintendo. Any confirmation on this at all?

gkryhewy

tetsuoxb said:
Yeah, but the download is tied to hardware. If you choose advance replacement instead of repair, you get new hardware and thus do not get your games.

That doesn't make any sense. What if your system was irreparably damaged and couldn't be repaired - would you lose your games then too? One of the selling points of the 'My Nintendo' tie-in was that if your system died, NOA would help you redownload the VC games you'd registered free-of-charge. If I were that guy, I'd call back and talk to someone else.

MrNibbles

Banned
tetsuoxb said:
Actually, I just read the US EULAs and there is nothing about losing your VC games. Maybe because you chose the advance replacement plan.

Please read the information ON the Wii Shop Channel.
It states very clearly that you cannot regain Wii points in any way for any reason.

If you register a new Wii to your My Nintendo account, something happens.
Either the new Wii takes over, or the registration fails, I don't remember, and my Wii isn't here at the moment.

You CAN get your downloads back if you beg Nintendo Customer Service, but they don't have to give them back to you.

Ranger X

MrNibbles said:
Please read the information ON the Wii Shop Channel.
It states very clearly that you cannot regain Wii points in any way for any reason.

If you register a new Wii to your My Nintendo account, something happens.
Either the new Wii takes over, or the registration fails, I don't remember, and my Wii isn't here at the moment.

You CAN get your downloads back if you beg Nintendo Customer Service, but they don't have to give them back to you.

But i think that's exactly his point. There's nothing that tells you can't recover the games you bought, it's about not being able to recover your points. Totally different imo.

Nottyboxers said:
Last night i got home from work and wanted to play a bit of Excitetruck when i couldnt turn on the system from the remote. So i turned it on manually and when i got to the menu none of my controllers would connect with the system. all four of the controllers would flash on their blue lights but would jsut shut off from there. I've tried new batteries and resyncing them but to no success. Does anyone know whats happening?

Just turn OFF your console by holding the power button (until it turns red, not yellow) and then turn it back on. Test your wiimotes afterwards.

Devo

My wiimotes tend to die temporarily. They'll just stop working altogether, and switching the batteries doesn't work, nor resyncing. Usually switching the power off->on on the console fixes the problem. Nothing major, just kinda weird.

Grecco

Anyone explain this sparks thing further?

I noticed that the text in DBZ Budokai was a litle bit blurred on the lower left side

and i noticed i have that in the Wii main menu as well the remote is a litle blurry

So i guess i need to replace mine as well?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
brigadeer said:

That sounds exactly like my issue. :(

Guess I'll have to give Nintendo a call. If I transfer my Miis over to a replacement system, I'm guessing the system won't let them be edited since they weren't created on that system?

Pimpbaa

I turned off wii 24 connect immediately after noticing how hot my Wii would get when "off". I mean it feels hotter when that is turned on and the Wii is not in use than what it does when you are playing a game on it all day. They need to fix that pronto if they want people to use that feature without frying their Wiis.

CorwinB

Verboten said:
I think the SNES was the last console ever to not have any problems at launch (or ever).

That could also be a case of the Internets being much less used back then, and as such problems being much more difficult to track/share. :)

big_z

LordWillin said:
on the Wii remote is the home button supposed to be further in than the + and - keys?

No it should be very erect. So much so that when you push it down it pops the batteries out.

EDIT: if you want something to worry about hold the waggle up to some bright lights and look for hairline cracks around the A button. :D

XiaNaphryz

Just called Nintendo to get my replacement console sent. The girl who I was talking to didn't seem to know anything about new consoles being used in the replacement plan as opposed to refurbs, so I'm just assuming the previous poster above is correct about new consoles being used for the next month instead of refurbs.

Gonna be a bitch reentering all my address book contacts though.

XiaNaphryz

So since I'll be needing to transfer over save data, does anyone know if after copying my Wii Sports save data to the new Wii, will I have to bring over all my Miis for those records to apply? Or can I just recreate the Miis on the new console with the same name?

I ask because I'm guessing that transferring my Miis over to the new console will result in them being uneditable since they weren't created on that console.

Deku

Banned
I'm using the Wi-Fi USB dongle to go on-line but the name of the Wii connection is just a bunch of garbled text on the connection manager. It initially showed the correct system name for the Wii when it first went on-line.

Any fix for this?

CorwinB

I called Nintendo today about the sparks. Either their French customer support is waaaay understaffed, or they have lots of work in the post launch, post holiday period (or both). Took me two tries of 30+ minutes to get through.

In the end I spoke to a very nice person who told me to send my Wii back (thought so) and confirmed that I would get my Wii points back (either my downloads and my leftover points, or my points recredited). Apparently, they are currently setting up the transmission of data from one Wii to another in case of replacement, so it seems people won't get screwed on VC games being deleted if their Wiis are replaced. Bad news is that since this system is being set up right now, my Wii may take longer to come back.

TunaLover

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think it's just due to software. I too notice a difference in jitteriness of the pointer in various applications. The Wii main menu is somewhat jittery, the Mii Channel is even more jittery, Twilight Princess is perfectly smooth. Originally I thought some of them were doing a bit of buffering so they wouldn't spaz as easily, but like you I checked out the direct camera view in the sensitivity test and I don't see any indication that it should be detecting little spazes.

Same problem with Wii main menu, it worked very smoth the first 3 days, then it becomes jittery, I have no problems with others channels. It seems like a application problem nothing to do with the sensor bar, batteries, or Wiimote, since gameplay and other channels doesn't present the problem.

TunaLover

Bildi said:
Warning to everyone! Don't eat a carrot and play with the Nunchuk at the same time. My thumb was clean but the tiny amount of vegetable oil that must have been left on my thumb from the carrot stained the control stick and it's a bit yellow now. This may apply to other similar vegetables and possibly even some types of fruit (yes, even tomato).

I'm thinking of filing a class action lawsuit because there were no warnings about this. And before anyone asks, yes I had my wrist strap on at the time of this incident.

I kinda had the same problem, I clean my stick with a red shirt and it turn clear pink =º, it seems like the stick surface is a pigment eater!
I try wash it with warm water, soap... and the color seems becomes to normal day after day, anyway there some reports about those pink fingers, a guy it turn his nunchuck wire totally pink :p.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
XiaNaphryz said:
So since I'll be needing to transfer over save data, does anyone know if after copying my Wii Sports save data to the new Wii, will I have to bring over all my Miis for those records to apply? Or can I just recreate the Miis on the new console with the same name?

I ask because I'm guessing that transferring my Miis over to the new console will result in them being uneditable since they weren't created on that console.

It's worse than that.

Wii Sports Mii profile data is tied to the Miis on the system. If you delete a Mii (or never had it there to begin with), reimporting it won't do any good. When you start up Wii Sports, it will delete that Mii profile save game data as the system has no record of the Mii being on the system.

I believe that the Wii Sports training mode unlockables remain, but all profile data will be gone. Luckily, only Wii Sports and Wii Play do this.

My Wii seems to be working all fine and dandy, dandy and fine... but some sometimes Gamecube games cause errors (locking up, etc) and whenever there's a disc in it being read it makes the most awful clunking noise, like the laser unit is moving rapidly and hitting stuff on its innards.

It was silent as the grave when I got it last Christmas (06) and just got gradually noisier and noisier. I've switched it from vertical to horizontal, and that seemed to help for a while, but like I say it's just got gradually louder and louder.

How dangerous does this sound? Should I phone up for a repair? I've heard of lots of people suffering from this, but they were mostly after a knock or fall. My Wii has been treated lovingly from day 1.

PedroRVD

well, Im from Ecuador and my credit card works perfectly from here, in fact, only on Wii I can buy online....neither 360 or PS3 let me buy anything (credit card not valid).

I HATE the ugly IR function on the Wii Menu, the jittering drives me crazy...Nintendo has done a lot of updates and has not fixed that thing, in games like Metroid Prime I play from the same distant and the IR function is PERFECT.

Burai

shitonmychest57
My Wii is now bust.

The catch at the front of the DVD drive is stuck so when you try to eject a disc, it hits the catch and reloads itself. I wouldn't have minded, but I've got the dog-piss Nights 2 stuck in there. If Mario Galaxy had gotten stuck, I could have lived with not being able to play anything but that.

EDIT: Hang on, how old is this thread?

hirokazu

I decided to play some Mario Galaxy today after not touching the Wii for about 10 days. Everything's been perfect up until today.

Now while I was playing Galaxy, a horizontal area about 1/10 of the screen near the bottom froze up and then proceded to display progressively more garbled graphics while the rest of the screen was fine. I was like "WTF? Mario Galazy glitch?!" So I continued playing and it just got more garbled until it went away about 3 minutes later.

But then it kept coming back at regular intervals of maybe 30 minutes. Sometimes it would start about 40% of the way up from the bottom of the screen and then move until it got to where the first one was.

The glitch showed up about 4 times before I quit. I thought everything was fine again, but then when I was looking at what was new in the Shop Channel, it showed up again!

Anyone else have problems like this.

I got my PAL unit at launch, it's almost exactly one month since the shitty 12 month warranty expired. Fuck you Nintendo. Fuck your shit system. Fuck.

EDIT: And for those curious, yes I normally have WiiConnect 24 on, however on this occasion, the Wii got unplugged after my last play and has been on regular Standby with the red light until today, so it's very unlikely to be the cause.

Free DCharlie.

The lack of SD space is probably the most crippling "problem" to most people around here though and becoming more and more inexcusable.

Top Bottom