• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touch Arcade vs. NeoGAF

Coal

What the fuck? I don't see the big deal. I personally think that "Republique" looks like a sack of shit. Could I do better personally? No. But it looks like they're bringing nothing new to the table, and Kickstarter is a crock of shit to begin with.

Go ahead GAF, throw your money at imaginary products that may or may not ACTUALLY ever exist!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
while the way he's going about it is a bit immature, i actually agree with his reasoning and see kickstarter more as a predatory practice against gamers that will inevitably crash hard when a high-profile scam comes around because of it.

Cartman86

Banned
Informed trust. Kickstarter works on that. If a project doesn't meet that requirement for you then don't contribute. You know the risk. As high profile projects within the gaming community it makes sense to report on them for your readers. You don't have to report on every single one of them just like you don't have to mention the thousands of iOS games released every month. End of story.

Evlar

Banned
I've never backed a kickstarter project but it's not for lack of sympathy with the idea: I just don't have excess money to invest in gaming right now. It certainly makes more sense than per-ordering at GameStop.

I've been visiting Touch Arcade for a while and it's become just what should have been expected: a transparent marketing organ of the industry. I get much better information on every topic Touch Arcade covers from the proper GAF threads.

Coal

Informed trust. Kickstarter works on that. If a project doesn't meet that requirement for you then don't contribute. You know the risk. As high profile projects within the gaming community it makes sense to report on them for your readers. You don't have to report on every single one of them just like you don't have to mention the thousands of iOS games released every month. End of story.

Not when they don't bring anything new to the table when it comes to gaming. I swear that shit looks like girl Metal Gear, that's it. Oh, and she stole Ezio's clothes from Assassin's Creed.

Oh fuck her name is Hope too! So original! Well I HOPE this Kickstarter never gets off the ground just because of the unoriginal game it looks to be.

Cartman86

Banned
Not when they don't bring anything new to the table when it comes to gaming. I swear that shit looks like girl Metal Gear, that's it. Oh, and she stole Ezio's clothes from Assassin's Creed.

Oh fuck her name is Hope too! So original! Well I HOPE this Kickstarter never gets off the ground just because of the unoriginal game it looks to be.

Certainly if you don't like the game being offered then yeah don't contribute.

Kinda wish the actual dude's name is in the title. It's just 1 dude. The community is fine for the most part, and a lot of ios devs are on their boards so it's really easy to communicate issues/bugs/etc.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member

You don't want to play it so you hope it doesn't get made? You sound like a douche.

Wow, just came across this thread (thanks, fragmented era of GAF) and holy shit. I used to frequent Toucharcade to get the scoop on iOS games and all, but fuck that I'm done with that site.

What the fuck? I don't see the big deal. I personally think that "Republique" looks like a sack of shit. Could I do better personally? No. But it looks like they're bringing nothing new to the table, and Kickstarter is a crock of shit to begin with.

Go ahead GAF, throw your money at imaginary products that may or may not ACTUALLY ever exist!
If a project doesn't meet it's goal, it gets no money. So there really isn't much risk in funding a Kickstarter, other than the game might be bad, which is no different than buying a game.

I got banned for complaining about Kickstarter threads. Am I allowed to do it in this thread? It seems like an appropriate place.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey I admit I'm clueless on KS. Don't have to make fun.

People make fun because you're on the internet. It literally takes 5 minutes of effort to go to kickstarter.com and figure it out on your own. You're a smart boy. No one needs to spoon feed you the answers. Go there, read the website, and figure it out.

The only questions you should be asking are the ones you can't answer by researching yourself (and there are painfully few questions you cannot answer yourself on the internet).

Great, you personally think so. That's wonderful. The issue isn't about what you personally think.

Also, a "sack of shit"? Really? Hyperbole just gets thrown around these days?

Please explain to us how Republique is so painfully unoriginal.

Good lord. You sound incredibly angry about something that doesn't affect you at all.

Coal

You don't want to play it so you hope it doesn't get made? You sound like a douche.

No, I hope it doesn't get made because it looks like a piece of shit. I don't want to go to Gamestop and buy a green Xbox 360 case full of fecal matter just like I don't want Republique.

Didn't they mention something about "revolutionizing iOS gaming" or some shit? And now it's on PC? Fucking beautiful.

If it's so easy to get money on Kickstarter then maybe I should start one.

Painraze will you please donate to my game :3

To the poster above me: No, I'm not angry. I'm pretty calm actually, I just think it's retarded when people are defending this game like it was their first born son, not just here but other forums as well. It's just retarded, I don't care if it cured AIDS Republique will never be as good as all of the attention it's receiving. Sorry :).

Yeah it's just like all those other high production value story driven stealth games on iOS right?

Oh wait.

Evlar

Banned
No, I hope it doesn't get made because it looks like a piece of shit. I don't want to go to Gamestop and buy a green Xbox 360 case full of fecal matter just like I don't want Republique.

Didn't they mention something about "revolutionizing iOS gaming" or some shit? And now it's on PC? Fucking beautiful.

Sorry, I think a lot of us are confused on how the existence of a game you don't intend to buy impacts you.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member

What games have you worked on in the past? What kind of game were you thinking about making? I may throw $1 your way if I'm impressed.

El Sloth

Banned

You talk like Ryan Payton wronged you personally. Just don't back it and move on, man. No need to get so angry at it.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(

Get over yourself dude. Entitled gamers are the worst.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I see a whole bunch of exclamation posts and a bolded word in all caps.

Passionate then?

He's really passionate about a game he will never play or buy.

937612-GUBNHEV.png

DiscoJer

If a project doesn't meet it's goal, it gets no money. So there really isn't much risk in funding a Kickstarter, other than the game might be bad, which is no different than buying a game.

Well, bear in mind, there is always the possibility that the game will never actually even get made. There was a recent article on Gamasutra about an iOS game (Star Command) that was successfully funded for like $25,000 and the people behind it spend most of their money on crap, leaving very little left to actually make the game. (I think the game is still being made, but probably not as good as it would have been)

In some cases, these are people who have never run a business before. So don't know what they are doing. Others are probably unscrupulous.

So when you support a project, it's because you are willing to risk not seeing anything.

In a way, it's probably more the old patronage model used by artists and the like - where rich people would commission people to make a work of art.

Only in this case, it's a bunch of people doing the funding.

conman

Wow. As someone who has read Touch Arcade off and on for a while now, I'll definitely be opting for the "off" option now.

I've never supported a Kickstarter project (and don't intend to), but this EiC at Touch Arcade crossed the line in terms of professional integrity.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I actually agree with what some of this guy said. There really is an inherent problem with the Kickstarter model, and I think we'll see crooked developers taking advantage of it a lot in the future.

That being said, I'm not super passionate to the point of being a bit nutty, like the TA guy, or Coal (no offense dude, but you come off a little strong). I'd rather just not support projects like these and let the system work itself out.

Evlar

Banned
Well, bear in mind, there is always the possibility that the game will never actually even get made. There was a recent article on Gamasutra about an iOS game (Star Command) that was successfully funded for like $25,000 and the people behind it spend most of their money on crap, leaving very little left to actually make the game. (I think the game is still being made, but probably not as good as it would have been)

In some cases, these are people who have never run a business before. So don't know what they are doing. Others are probably unscrupulous.

So when you support a project, it's because you are willing to risk not seeing anything.

In a way, it's probably more the old patronage model used by artists and the like - where rich people would commission people to make a work of art.

Yeah, there's certainly more risk involved, as should be expected. The concept is to provide funding for stuff that isn't getting adequate funding from the normal channels, and a lot of the cause for that is the "too risky" perception. Fairly or not.

thetrin

Well yeah. That was the initial point of Kickstarter. Patronage. The gift tiers are added incentive to patronize a given creator.

It really isn't too hard to see which Kickstarters are more suspect than others though. That's why I did the Double Fine and Idle Thumbs ones, because those are names I trust. That's just a general rule I have with all products, not just video games.

hiro4

I actually agree with what some of this guy said. There really is an inherent problem with the Kickstarter model, and I think we'll see crooked developers taking advantage of it a lot in the future.

What is the inherent problem?
That people donate money for a product they might never see?
Kickstarter isn't an investment it is a donation with added incentives and rewards for the people who donate.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Let's ban Touch Arcade from GAF and never mention this dude again. Although he must feel at the top of the world right now, seeing how some are giving him way too much attention.

There really is an inherent problem with the Kickstarter model

People keep saying stuff like this, but Kickstarter has been running successfully for three years, with projects spread across numerous fields and industries, with very little in the way of high-profile failures or malfeasance on the part of successful project runners. If people are suggesting that this model is dangerous now that the video game industry is looking at it, that doesn't suggest that there's something wrong with Kickstarter; it suggests that there's something wrong with video game people.

numble

What did they spend their money on?

Eusis

People keep saying stuff like this, but Kickstarter has been running successfully for three years, with projects spread across numerous fields and industries, with very little in the way of high-profile failures or malfeasance on the part of successful project runners. If people are suggesting that this model is dangerous now that the video game industry is looking at it, that doesn't suggest that there's something wrong with Kickstarter; it suggests that there's something wrong with video game people.
Well, I wouldn't discount the nature of the medium too. More people are required than for an art project, and more can go seriously wrong that's subsequently hold things up like a computer destroying glitch (though I've only ever seen one incident of that, the Gurren Lagann MMO Konami was making).

Still, I definitely understand being skeptical of Kickstarters and these projects, I doubt anyone notable is SCAMMING here, but it's possible the project incurs a lot of difficulties, or simply doesn't turn out as good as you'd have wanted. But there really isn't any reason to be as outright nasty and antagonistic as this guy is being.

Pyccko

Geez, dude needs to calm down. He's acting like Kickstarter cheated on his sister or something. If you don't want to support the game, don't, but don't act like everyone that does is some kind of garbage animal.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Kickstarter, itself, is fantastic for bringing innovations to life, etc. And it's not that I don't think it can't be used in the realm of video game development. What I do see, however, are game developers taking advantage of the system. It's not really a huge deal because, like I said before, the problem will work itself out. But I didn't mean there was a problem with Kickstarter on the whole, just with regards to game development. It's really easy to exploit the system by overpromising and underdelivering, especially if youre a small, unheard of developer.

Edit: Sorry for the broken-ness of that paragraph. I'm typing on an ipad and I'm pretty tired. =P

hiro4

It's really easy to exploit the system by overpromising and underdelivering, especially if youre a small, unheard of developer.

But how big are the chances that it you are a small unheard of developer you get the funds you want? Unless you spend a lot of time to make your project believable it seems like it would be very difficult.

Top Bottom