• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

K' Dash

zewone said:
Yeah, I forgot rental copies don't include multi,.

If I hadn't mentioned I didn't buy the game, does that change the shitty story?

I'll go buy the game right now after work if that makes the game any more comprehensible.

You're ridiculous.

If you're not interested in the game, why are you even here?

luxarific said:
I'm sure it'll be covered in next year's Gears novel. Having finished Gears 3, I think reading the novels are basically a prerequisite to understanding all the new characters in the game. Really wish we could have seen Michaelson (the captain of the aircraft carrier/head of the COG navy) or Trescu - their roles are huge in the books (bigger than Sam's and Jace's for sure).
I know I know :) I can't wait for The Slab! I've been religiously purchasing and reading every novel to date. Traviss understands and handles the Gears universe fantastically.

CliffyB

Playah
Regarding the ending, we had that discussion about how it should play out. I wouldn't have the whole "the queen reaches for a weapon after Marcus says 'you're not worth it' moment that's in every bad movie." Marcus is a broken man and has always had a good side and a bad side. She needed to be killed, straight up, in a stone cold manner, with Dom's knife.

And no, the entire story isn't black and white. The Locust were being driven from the underground because of the Lambent infection which Adam failed to stop in time.

Proelite

zewone said:
When did CoD sell me single player segments or gun skins?

Considering Gears 3's campaign is longer than COD4 + Modern Warfare 2 put together, I think Activision probably should start selling single player segments.

I am guessing you also hate Valve for selling episodes 1 +2, Bestheda for their SP dlc, Rockstar for the sp dlc, etc.

CliffyB

Playah
joat217 said:
I just realized something, are we going to play the gears graphic novel for the dlc?
Gears_3_Season_Pass_thumb.jpg

Thats Michael Barrick from the first gn, what Gears 3 did was bring in all the expandid universe for this moment in game. I mean we have Jace and he was there too.

No, it won't be the graphic novel, but it will have all new campaign content that doesn't have Marcus, Dom, Cole and Baird in it. Expect Barrick and more...

Grisby

Seth Balmore said:
I know I know :) I can't wait for The Slab! I've been religiously purchasing and reading every novel to date. Traviss understands and handles the Gears universe fantastically.

The only problem I think is that there is was just too much to do in a final Gear game. Loved the added dialog and stuff Traviss brought to the table.

CliffyB

Playah
Proelite said:
Considering Gears 3's campaign is longer than COD4 + Modern Warfare 2 put together, I think Activision probably should start selling single player segments.

I am guessing you also hate Valve for selling episodes 1 +2, Bestheda for their SP dlc, Rockstar for the sp dlc, etc.

No offense to any other game, but we also have 4p co-op in the main campaign, which seems to be rare these days. Plus arcade mode and mutators.

LiK

CliffyB said:
Regarding the ending, we had that discussion about how it should play out. I wouldn't have the whole "the queen reaches for a weapon after Marcus says 'you're not worth it' moment that's in every bad movie." Marcus is a broken man and has always had a good side and a bad side. She needed to be killed, straight up, in a stone cold manner, with Dom's knife.

And no, the entire story isn't black and white. The Locust were being driven from the underground because of the Lambent infection which Adam failed to stop in time.
Oh, that was Dom's knife? That flew over my head. Thanks for pointing that out.

Kimosabae

Banned
Kusagari said:
Cole is basically a modern day athlete ramped up to 11 and put into a shooter. He's clearly based on people like Money Mayweather and Bart Scott. The fact people find that 'racist' or insensitive is hilarious to me. He's exaggerated just like 99% of characters in shooters.

Wait a minute, so a conscious interpretation of influential, black icons in a society are put into a character form that doesn't adequately represent the population of the race said character represents - and is highly caricaturized to fit an ideal that a lot blacks feel pigeon-holed into due to historical circumstances to boot... and it confuses you blacks are at least annoyed by this?

In America, who cares about exaggerated White-Europeans? They've set the status quo - there's no such thing.

I don't want to come across as offended, here, I'm just saying there's a legit commentary to be sensitive to regarding Coletrain, and people are being dull, in more ways than one, by trying to pretend there isn't an issue with his character.

Grisby

LiK said:
Oh, that was Dom's knife? That flew over my head. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah, me too. That ending's a bit sweeter now.

Also, I didn't recognize the above pictured guy. The Gears GN's are the only pieces of fiction I haven't touched yet. Gonna get on that soon.

zewone

claviertekky said:
How does that change the fact that you support other franchises that sell content ways you find unethical?
What did I find unethical? I don't have a problem with MP based games selling map packs down the line. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

And I didn't come here to cause a stir. I beat the game last night on Hardcore. I came here hoping that like minded people were just as upset as I was regarding the way the trilogy ended.

I didn't come here to discuss the DLC prices Epic is trying to charge. It was brought up because I mentioned that I was glad I didn't invest in it because I was really let down.

If no one else feels the same way as I do, then this will be my last post in this thread and you can all continue doing whatever is was going on before I posted here.

CliffyB said:
No, it won't be the graphic novel, but it will have all new campaign content that doesn't have Marcus, Dom, Cole and Baird in it. Expect Barrick and more...
Sweet! Thanks for the heads up Cliff. I love Delta but I really want to see you guys explore other characters in the franchise with Gears 3, not just with Karen's books and comics. :)

zewone

zewone said:
What did I find unethical? I don't have a problem with MP based games selling map packs down the line. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

And I didn't come here to cause a stir. I beat the game last night on Hardcore. I came here hoping that like minded people were just as upset as I was regarding the way the trilogy ended.

I didn't come here to discuss the DLC prices Epic is trying to charge. It was brought up because I mentioned that I was glad I didn't invest in it because I was really let down.

If no one else feels the same way as I do, then this will be my last post in this thread and you can all continue doing whatever is was going on before I posted here.
I was also hoping for some answers to the questions I had.

TheOddOne

CliffyB said:
Take my money Mr. Jazz Jackrabbit.

Proelite

zewone said:

zewone said:
OH WAIT! I know! We'll find out in the overpriced DLC that was purposely left out of the game to sell to us later?

You probably shouldn't have said this then.

K' Dash

CliffyB said:
No offense to any other game, but we also have 4p co-op in the main campaign, which seems to be rare these days. Plus arcade mode and mutators.

Fuck yesss, I've been having a fucking awesome time playing 4 player campaign with gaffers, just amazing, GOW3 is the best bang for you buck in a AAA release since I can remember.

I just want to know one thing and one thing only Cliffy, are we gonna see more from Cole/Baird/Carmine in DLC form?

Please say Yes.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
CliffyB said:
Yeah, lots of replay value. You guys did a terrific job; hope it sells a lot.

LiK

_dementia said:
Yeah, he gave it to Marcus in an earlier cutscene and didn't ask for it back.

Man, not sure how you remembered. After all those explosions and battles, I forgot about it completely.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Agreed. Just keep the "emotion" out of it or use some much needed funds to hire some professional writers.

uh, they actually hired a professional writer for Gears 3.

watership

MCXC Pioneer said:
Coletrain's racial sterotype used to bother me in the first two games but I've become desensitized by now. Still, shame on you Cliff.

This is the funnies thing i've read all day. Well done.

Just finished the game. It was fun but I wasn't a fan of the story. The whole series has, at least to me, felt like a bro-fest where you expect the main characters to high five each other and drink beer constantly so things like Doms death came of weak and a bit forced. I pretty much didn't care about his death once it happened. Also, as has already been mentioned the submarine fuel plot was a bit ridiculous.

K' Dash

LiK said:
Man, not sure how you remembered. After all those explosions and battles, I forgot about it completely.

In Mercy Marcus was trying to flip a switch that was stuck, then Dom hadled him the knife, when he flips it, he turns to Dom to give it back but Dom was on the other side of the room with the other switch, so he keeps the knife with him.

Proelite

CliffyB said:

Mostly importantly jump in and out co-op that's open to the public. That's pretty much non-existent in games besides Gears. I hate Halo Reach's way of doing co-op.

One small thing that bothers me is the ability for players to choose between creating and joining a public co-op session. I think it would have been smarter for the server to decide that so that it works better when the user base for campaign dwindles in the future.

LiK

K' Dash said:
In Mercy Marcus was trying to flip a switch that was stuck, then Dom hadled him the knife, when he flips it, he turns to Dom to give it back but Dom was on the other side of the room with the other switch, so he keeps the knife with him.
Yea, didn't stick with me. Especially after all various epic battles towards the end.

CliffyB said:

Have you guys toyed with the idea of pre-E-Day or E-Day DLC?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
LiK said:
When Marcus thrust the knife into her chest and said "This is from Dom and everyone you killed, you bitch," I immediately thought of that cutscene where Dom gave him that knife. But yeah, it's easy to forget little details like that. The ending was really good, but the Dom scene earlier felt a bit uneventful for some reason. It felt like he died too early in the game, although, I guess, most people would have never expected that.

smh @ the people complaining about the writing and not 'getting' certain parts of the game. Really? A lot of more serious games have had far, far worse writing.

Meisadragon said:
It felt like he died too early in the game, although, I guess, most people would have never expected that.

I certainly didn't.

And my favourite character, no less :(

CliffyB

Playah
Anabuhabkuss said:
We're comparing it to more "serious" games that have had far, far better writing.

To which you've provided very few examples of, to be fair. If you're saying "Portal" series then, sure, that's some brilliant, amazing work!

I'm not going to defend our story here, those who love it and get it truly adore it. You can find plot holes in nearly anything, from Lord of the Rings to Dark Knight. Story, like any art, can be somewhat subjective and is easy to pick on.

The GAF crowd can be somewhat cynical. If you go to Youtube and look up many of the cutscenes deemed "silly" or "cheesy" on here the majority of the comments over there cite how the scenes moved them, made them misty eyed, or out and out made them cry. And those of you citing Cole as some bad stereotype - guys, that's just Lester being Lester. We introduced Jace as a more laid back character as a contrast Cole's enthusiasm. (which, after playing his sequence, is his way of overcompensating for not being the center of the universe and having to risk his neck for a can of beans now along with some aches and pains.)

I believe we're getting better at storytelling with each effort and the critical consensus is that this is the best Gears narrative yet, and we'll keep doing better in the future. You can pick anything to shreds on the internet because you've got the time and balls afforded to you by a keyboard and monitor. ;)

EDIT: And no, we're not going to answer everything. Creatives often leave certain questions unanswered so they can answer them later or let the hive mind of the internet to figure it out. The Gearspedia has already solved a lot of these questions.

Seth Balmore said:
Same here. Ain't afraid to admit I feel for the characters.
Damn straight.

The Dom scene affected me more than I thought it would or could. His actions beforehand (visiting the grave, giving his knife to Marcus and his general demeanor) all worked to unknowingly set the stage. And when the music kicked in... wow. Just a well done scene that fits with the Gears universe and takes fans back to the very start of it all.

Its without a doubt the best Gears storytelling to date, and I'd argue the best pacing in a Gears game, but there are still some major questions left behind.

For my part I just want to know what the thought was behind getting fuel for the sub twice. Just feels like a mistake.

jackdoe

CliffyB said:
EDIT: And no, we're not going to answer everything. Creatives often leave certain questions unanswered so they can answer them later or let the hive mind of the internet to figure it out. The Gearspedia has already solved a lot of these questions.
To be fair, that's a cop out. It frustrated me as a Lost fan, to the point that I don't even want to touch the Blu-rays that I have sitting on my shelf (since I know that most of the questions are going be left unanswered or dropped like a bad habit). If I was more heavily invested in the Gears story, I would be frustrated as well. Luckily it's a game and the gameplay is good so the unanswered questions are more of a niggling annoyance than full on frustration.

Arjen

CliffyB said:
To which you've provided very few examples of, to be fair. If you're saying "Portal" series then, sure, that's some brilliant, amazing work!

I'm not going to defend our story here, those who love it and get it truly adore it. You can find plot holes in nearly anything, from Lord of the Rings to Dark Knight. Story, like any art, can be somewhat subjective and is easy to pick on.

The GAF crowd can be somewhat cynical. If you go to Youtube and look up many of the cutscenes deemed "silly" or "cheesy" on here the majority of the comments over there cite how the scenes moved them, made them misty eyed, or out and out made them cry. And those of you citing Cole as some bad stereotype - guys, that's just Lester being Lester. We introduced Jace as a more laid back character as a contrast Cole's enthusiasm. (which, after playing his sequence, is his way of overcompensating for not being the center of the universe and having to risk his neck for a can of beans now along with some aches and pains.)

I believe we're getting better at storytelling with each effort and the critical consensus is that this is the best Gears narrative yet, and we'll keep doing better in the future. You can pick anything to shreds on the internet because you've got the time and balls afforded to you by a keyboard and monitor. ;)

Compared to how a story driven game like Dragon Age 2 gets trashed, i think you're doing rather well here on GAF ;)

Lingitiz

I actually really liked the storytelling despite all the unanswered questions. It is definitely the best Gears story yet, and great for what it is: a blockbuster action game.

I don't know if its just me, but most of my attachment to the characters comes from playing them in multiplayer all these years. For me that is much more significant than any attachment I could make during the storylines.

K' Dash

CliffyB said:

Take it easy Playah, there's A LOT more Love than hate.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm pretty surprised that people actually bought enough avatar shirts to let Carmine live. I wasn't sure if I wanted him to or not, but I think it worked well the way they showed him pick up the helmet(after teasing it with the dead COG and the floating helmet) right after Adam ate it.

Grisby

Papercuts said:
I'm pretty surprised that people actually bought enough avatar shirts to let Carmine live. I wasn't sure if I wanted him to or not, but I think it worked well the way they showed him pick up the helmet(after teasing it with the dead COG and the floating helmet) right after Adam ate it.

I should have gotten a shirt. Some of the money went to charity i believe. Him getting up at the ending put a huge smile on my face. Great stuff.

Someone's got to keep the Carmine line going for future deaths.

Lingitiz said:
I don't know if its just me, but most of my attachment to the characters comes from playing them in multiplayer all these years. For me that is much more significant than any attachment I could make during the storylines.
That's a good point, and its Horde for me. Dom isn't just Dom, but the face of your buddy who was there for you throughout your Gears 1 and 2 insane run. Dizzy isn't just some NPC that you have to save every once in a while, its your brother who won't stick with the damn team and gets downed at the other end of the map just as a fresh wave enemies spawn in - leading to crazy rescue missions, I told you so's, screams and laughs as everybody gets brutally blown to shit by a gaggle of boomers.

Its hard not to see your friends in these characters, and for all the bitching about bro-talk in these games who hasn't had Marcus bellow out a Fuck Yeah just as you were actually yelling it? Good times all around.

Papercuts said:

Mike Capps said that the vote was basically a landslide though at the time and for obvious reasons he wouldn't reveal which side won.

Anyone remember the promo art they released of Clayton Carmine where he was standing over a field of dead locusts and looked like a total bad ass? I'm kind of disappointed they didn't pursue that angle in the campaign but I guess they didn't want to take away too much from the main plot line with Marcus and Dom. Maybe in the DLC?

zewone

CliffyB said:

Pat yourself on the back. There's plenty of people who will tell you how awesome your game is how you can do no wrong.

I loved Gears 1 and 2 and was invested in the story and the characters. I was hoping for some closure or at least to give the story and the people involved the proper respect I thought was deserved. I feel that you let me down, and other Gears fans I played with (through co-op in the other Gears games). You can tell me "tough shit" about the answers I'm looking for, but that doesn't change the fact that I was truly disappointed in Delta Squad's swan song.

And for the people saying Gears is a multiplayer game/action blockbuster and shouldn't be held to the same standards in it's story telling, than they shouldn't try to evoke emotions out of their audience. If the game is meant to be tongue in cheek or just "balls to the wall" action, they should stick to that.

Rimfya

Banned
I like the Gears universe and the story. Not enough to read books and comics though (I don't have time afforded to me to be reading those). But I didn't like the pacing in Gears 3.

In Gears 2 you had Dom talking about finding Maria from the very beginning, something that didn't happen until a few acts later. In Gears 3 you only have Dom pining for her moments before he dies, we peer into Cole's soul once and never again, Baird and Sam have something going, once.

I think the emotional beats would've had more payoff if they had the time to earn them. If Dom was constantly depressed and had a death wish for the whole game for example.

Lastly I can't buy your point about creatives leaving questions unanswered. Unless it's the central conceit of the narrative (what's in the suitcase?) it just feels like you ran out of time or answers.

Imagine a movie where half the plot devices are red herrings unless you spend hours on the Internet to read about them - you know, with all that time your keyboard and mouse affords.

:)

Awesome game cliff. Moment to moment gameplay is first class regardless of all my own personal nit picks.

Is there any way to disable shaky-cam in single player?

I've been playing split-screen both in campaign and multiplayer, and the shaky cam is either not present on lessened to an extent that I don't even notice it. I'm trying to play multiplayer by myself, though, and the camera is making me sick. I usually don't have that problem if I'm playing a game, but shaky cam causes the same out-of-control feeling that watching someone else play a game like Portal does. I mean, even Portal 2 only bothered me a little. This is just out of hand.

Rimfya said:
I think the emotional beats would've had more payoff if they had the time to earn them. If Dom was constantly depressed and had a death wish for the whole game for example.
There was setup though, beyond those last moments, just not so overt. In fact the very first collectible pickup, in the very first room in the game is a psych report on Dom if I remember correctly.

Rimfya

Banned
NullPointer said:
There was setup though, beyond those last moments, just not so overt. In fact the very first collectible pickup, in the very first room in the game is a psych report on Dom if I remember correctly.
This has to stop. Game stories should not be fleshed out in collectables, audio logs, comics and books. They should be supplementary, not divided up into chunks of the main narrative.

Rimfya said:
This has to stop. Game stories should not be fleshed out in collectables, audio logs, comics and books. They should be supplementary, not divided up into chunks of the main narrative.
I understand where you're coming from, but in an action game, much less a co-op action game you don't want to slow the game down with too many cinematics. Its a balance that has to be struck in order to keep your replaybility, especially in a game with an arcade scoring mode.

The balance in Gears 3 worked for some but not others. I honestly don't know if there is a way to please everybody with this kind of thing.

Top Bottom