• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leonardo DiCaprio - The Greatest Actor of Our Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect his skills but he doesn't work for me. His huge bulbous head, his dumb facial hair, his voice... I can't take him seriously in most of his more serious roles, despite his chops.

Leo's good, but Tom Hanks:
tom-hanks-forrest-gump-c10101930.jpeg

Tom Hanks is amazing but....For the love of all that is holy if he is put up one more time I am going to lose my mind. This generation people!

UrokeJoe

Can someone please define the generation we are speaking of. DDL is probably the best in all, but it is nice to know what you are working with. He is certainly not of Leo's.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Tom Hanks is amazing but....For the love of all that is holy if he is put up one more time I am going to lose my mind. This generation people!

Some people were saying Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, so I was like "sure, throw Hanks in the mix"

If its just the last couple of decades the frontrunners are DiCaprio and Damon probably.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Leo in definitely up there. I would throw up Christian Bale in there too. I don't know if I've seen another actor make me believe in a character as much as he has. The guy is unreal. What about Jake Gylennhal? I don't think I've seen a bad role from him. Love his stuff.

Well if we're talking about the greatest actors of "our" generation, I would say Tom Hardy is a much better choice. He has that natural flair for acting.

I actually haven't seen that many of his movies, but I was really impressed with what I did see. From what I remember from watching Inception, he stole the show in about every scene he was in. He was great in Bronson as well. I'm surprised he hasn't received more attention.

Amir0x

Banned
daniel_day_lewis.jpg

He says no.

now that's a great actor.

Leonardo DiCaprio is certainly competent, but his range is very limited in terms of the type of performance he actually ends up delivering, and he repeats cues extremely frequently. The dude is no masterclass.

Daniel Day Lewis actually sinks into his roles and becomes new people; Leonardo DiCaprio enters a role and the character becomes Leo.

Leonardo DiCaprio is certainly competent, but his range is very limited in terms of the type of performance he actually ends up delivering, and he repeats cues extremely frequently. The dude is no masterclass.

Daniel Day Lewis actually sinks into his roles and becomes new people; Leonardo DiCaprio enters a role and the character becomes Leo.

Ami your killing me man..Just killing me.

Damn it, I agree with you on something.

im officially sick of johnny depp after watching the rum diary

his jack sparrow schtick is basically a part of every role now

The Chef

Well if we're talking about the greatest actors of "our" generation, I would say Tom Hardy is a much better choice. He has that natural flair for acting.

I actually haven't seen that many of his movies, but I was really impressed with what I did see. From what I remember from watching Inception, he stole the show in about every scene he was in. He was great in Bronson as well. I'm surprised he hasn't received more attention.

Hahhahahaha this is great.
So your nominating him "Best Actor of the Generation" based on what you kinda remember from one movie? LOL

Fry

I love that scene. Goddamit, where the hell is Michael Biehn these days?????

Locked in Sculli's basement.

Leo is certainly one of the best, but not the best. He's the main character in my favorite film though (The Departed), so I've been appreciating his work ever since. He's one of my favorite actors, and I love that he and Scorsese have a great partnership.

UrokeJoe

and that is why he is the best. Just not of Leo's generation, so any comparison is stupid.

Switters

Goddamn, OP said generation and you guys are posting dudes 10 to 30 years older.

Leo's generation is Pretty much just Leo. No one his age has sustained such immaculate credibility for so long.

His only competition was River Phoenix and he's dead. Learn to read and follow context clues.

Speevy

Banned
Leonardo DiCaprio is about 10 years older than me, and I'm about 10 years older than a lotof this forum.

So no.

Draconian

Good actor, but I really can't praise his Gangs of New York performance. Yeah it was a lot better than Titanic, but truth of the matter is Danial Day Lewis made everyone look like amateurs in that film. Liam Neeson and Brendan Gleeson were the only ones able to keep up with him.

I have the same feeling after just watching that. I think you have to be really careful with who you cast with Daniel Day-Lewis because he can easily overshadow the rest of the cast, as I believe he did in that movie. It's ok in There Will Be Blood when he's actually the main character.

UrokeJoe

Goddamn, OP said generation and you guys are posting dudes 10 to 30 years older.

Leo's generation is Pretty much just Leo. No one his age has sustained such immaculate credibility for so long.

His only competition was River Phoenix and he's dead. Learn to read and follow context clues.

Oh shit you made me cry. For reals..

neoism

yes in 20 years most def... he has been really smart about what movies he makes. He will definitely get a best actor one day. I really like him in a lot of movies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If we're going 1970 and younger, I want to throw out Sean Astin. Just too bad his career seems to have plateaued after LotR.

D6Y8N.jpg

The Chef

If we're going 1970 and younger, I want to throw out Sean Astin. Just too bad his career seems to have plateaued after LotR.

D6Y8N.jpg

Great actor.
Besides Viggo Mortensen its interesting that nearly everyone from LOTR seems to be way under the radar. What was the last movie Elija Wood was even in?

Karak

I WOULD have said no. I wasn't a fan until way later. Blood Diamond of all things changed me. I am not sure why but...it opened my eyes to that dude and now he really does seem to be a modern day enigma of acting excellence. That role man. He made a movie I would have found uninteresting at the very MOST to be riveting. God damn that fucking ending.
Except for fucking Titanic...jezuz.

As an actor though the guy is top notch and just seems to get it. He is also insanely intelligent in picking his roles despite many of them being wholly different from one another.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm glad I'm not the only one tired of Johnny Depp. He certainly has a 'shtick', and I'm certainly sick of it. And I'm sick of all of his stupid hats and stupid glasses and stupid man-bracelets. He hasn't done anything really compelling IMO in a long time.

Loxley

Great actor.
Besides Viggo Mortensen its interesting that nearly everyone from LOTR seems to be way under the radar. What was the last movie Elija Wood was even in?

Movies? Nothing incredibly notable, but he has his own critically well-received TV show:

The Chef

This is definitely what I had in mind for "Our Generation" I think as young as being born in 1970 on.
Ryan Gosling, Matt Damon, James Franco

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

You have a pretty strict definition of 'generation'. Matt Damon for example is only four years older.

UrokeJoe

You have a pretty strict definition of 'generation'. Matt Damon for example is only four years older.

You're stupid. He made an effort. Define it smart ass. I would include Matt, but that is me, anyone want to challenge that I am okay with it.

Sadsic

Leonardo DiCaprio was born in 1974. He's part of gen X; anyone born 1982+ is a Millennial, including myself

Hahhahahaha this is great.
So your nominating him "Best Actor of the Generation" based on what you kinda remember from one movie? LOL
This seems like an awfully hostile response.

I mean, there's no need to laugh at me or misrepresent me. I was just using Tom Hardy as an example of one of the greatest actors of our generation. I've admittedly only seen a few of his roles, but unless he has given a bunch of terrible performances that I'm not aware of, I don't see the problem. From the few roles I have seen, he appears to have a remarkable amount of talent and I think he holds a lot of promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom