• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Trendy reports rumor that 3DS Lite is coming, thickness and runtime improved

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Same magazine is reporting 3DS Lite rumors. Would be thinner and have longer battery life.

http://jin115.com/archives/51838525.html

Lk0a6.jpg

also...

thickness and runtime improved

Giggity.

Delio

Lol So how are they going to fit a better battery in the already packed 3DS with it being thinner?

cvxfreak

Lol So how are they going to fit a better battery in the already packed 3DS with it being thinner?

Their wording is a bit weird, to be honest: the Japanese literally says that the thickness and runtime will be improved. But I'm not sure how improving thickness can be equated to anything other than making it thinner.

Jonnyram

- reduced size of existing components
- reduced battery consumption from existing components
- longer/wider form to offset the thinness
to name but 3 possibilities.

mdtauk

Better battery life can come from lower power consumption. And things shrink over time.

One of the big complaints about 3DS is battery life. It would be astonishing if Nintendo doesn't address that with a revision to one degree or another.

(But I would prefer a 3DS XL :( )

It's surely too soon for any significant gains to be made though. The DS had a ton of empty space that they could cut down on quite easily, making the DS Lite easy to produce in such a short span of time. The 3DS doesn't have that luxury though (there isn't even enough space inside to fit a 2nd Circle Pad in)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The main way to improve battery life while having a thinner system is if the parts they are using are less energy intensive.

This would either have to come from changes to the screen's energy draw or by using less power intensive versions of their CPU, GPU, and/or RAM chips.

Neo C.

Annnddd all credibility is lost. Good luck fitting a bigger battery in there!

Longer battery life with the same (or even smaller) battery is possible when you can increase the energy efficiency and the quality of the battery itself. I'm not saying it would be easy though, the 3DS is already very energy efficient.

Edit: beaten. And yeah, some components could be made smaller or thinner.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Their wording is a bit weird, to be honest: the Japanese literally says that the thickness and runtime will be improved. But I'm not sure how improving thickness can be equated to anything other than making it thinner.

Really? I hear complaint all the time about how it's already too thin and hurts peoples' hands, maybe they have decided to make it thicker. I'd rather they just went all-out and made a 3DS XL, but whatever.

enishi

How reliable Nikkei Trendy is? Even if it is given there will be a new 3DS revision, I doubt that it will be thinner...

The original 3DS is not good to hold for long time. It will only be worse if new one is even thinner...

Saroyan

I wouldn't want the 3DS to be any thinner, I'm already looking to get a grip for mine because it makes my hands cramp up after playing it for a bit.

PerZona

There will definitely be a Monster Hunter for the Vita, just that we don't know when. Hope the rumor is true though, can't wait to play MH with my PS Vita's beautiful screen <3

Erethian

I don't think it's the same.

And another of Nikkei's predictions was that you'd be able to install retail 3DS games to the system's internal memory.

How reliable Nikkei Trendy is? Even if it is given there will be a new 3DS revision, I doubt that it will be thinner...

The original 3DS is not good to hold for long time. It will only be worse if new one is even thinner...

As posted a few posts above, they have been correct before

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nikkei and Nikkei Trendy are two different things aren't they?

Salaadin

Really? I hear complaint all the time about how it's already too thin and hurts peoples' hands, maybe they have decided to make it thicker. I'd rather they just went all-out and made a 3DS XL, but whatever.

Yeah I hear that a lot too. I know it hurts my hands to the point where Im probably going to buy a grip to make it thicker. "Improved thickness" might mean they are making it a little thicker. That would add some room for a bigger battery.

BurntPork

Banned

SmokyDave

Hilarious. Totally hilarious. Now we just need official confirmation on a Vita price-cut and the sky will have totally fallen in!

GDGF

Soothsayer

I have no idea if they're the same group, but this is the description of Nikkei Trendy :

The core readers of Nikkei Trendy are businesspeople in their 30s
and 40s who work hard and enjoy their private lives. As
trendsetters, they are keen to learn about new products/services on
the market, and make their discerning selections based on their
original standards and values.
The articles in Nikkei Trendy offer fair evaluations of a myriad of
new products/services that come to the market while analyzing
new trends. The magazine also employs many visual images to
convey the actual “feel” of the new products to its ardent readers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It seems they're the same parent company.

Nikkei said:
Nikkei issues some forty magazines, including Nikkei Corporate Quarterly, Nikkei Business, Nikkei Electronics, Nikkei Computer, Nikkei Medical, Nikkei Architecture, Nikkei Personal Computing, Nikkei Trendy, Nikkei Woman, and Nikkei Money, and delivers information over the Internet through more
than ten major Web sites, such as Nikkei Business Online, ITpro, and nikkei TRENDY net. Centered on the fields of management, technology and lifestyles,
Nikkei offers extensive support for businesspersons at work and at home by providing information that is specialized, cutting-edge and useful. We also issue
magazines that attract large readerships in cooperation with foreign media, with titles like National Geographic Japan, a magazine focused on Earth issues, Nikkei Science, an international science magazine, and Real Simple Japan, a lifestyle magazine originating in New York. Many events are hosted by Nikkei, such as ITpro EXPO, Security Solution, FPD International, BioJapan, and Innovation Japan, and the seminar forums are widely respected. In addition, we cover more specific fields through the newsletters Nikkei Glocal, Nikkei New Media, and Nikkei Biotechnology & Business among others.
Source: http://www.nikkei.co.jp/nikkeiinfo/english/publish/index.html

1-D_FTW

- reduced size of existing components
- reduced battery consumption from existing components
- longer/wider form to offset the thinness
to name but 3 possibilities.

With room for the second slider built in, right?

This is why I held off on the sales this Holiday. I didn't want to deal with the hassles of ebaying it after 3 months.

I don't know how reputable this rumor is, but I had every expectation that news of some kind would break in January.

BurntPork

Banned
Just like the DSlite amirite.

That at least took 15 months to be released. This is probably coming next month.

This doesn't even make fucking sense. There are special editions of the current model coming in March! I learned my lesson, that's for sure.

I was thinking that this wouldn't come any earlier than June. If it turns out that this doesn't release until after E3, I'll be fine. The only issue is that I'm not sure if I want to trade in my Zelda 3DS. :/

Nikkei recent rumors have been way off.

What about Fire Emblem DLC and installing games to 3DS internal memory? Still waiting.

Now they are calling a 3DS Lite and Monster Hunter Vita, are we sure this isn't a prediction edition? LOL

EDIT: I see, so there's a difference between Nikkei and Nikkei Trendy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom