• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best sd cards for wii?

boiled goose

good with gravy
My 1 gig card just got full from DLC and vc/wiiware games. I'm looking to buy a new card that is large enough to support me for the rest of the generation but is still good value.
Any suggestions?

I have this:

Kingston 8GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Card SD6/8GB

512DWiu1JKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It cost me only $18.99 CDN (but seems to have jumped up in price lately). No problems and plenty of space (tens of thousands of blocks).

KingGondo

Banned
I don't think there's some huge difference in quality between brands or anything. Just get the one with the best size-price ratio. Who cares if it has a Wii logo on it?

Xyphie

Just make sure what you're buying isn't some Chinese Knock-off with terrible transfer speeds and you'll be ok.

Salmon

MisterHero said:
yes but isn't the Wii SD limit 2GB, or has that changed?
It supports SDHC cards now, and you could get yourself a 32GB card if you want. I would prefer a 4-8GB card. SanDisk or Lexar if you go by quality. Don't mind different speed on those cards and everything, it's useless.

Non Wii brand cards fucks up your console? :lol They're made by SanDisk and it's just a regular SanDisk SD card with the Wii logo on it....nothing else.

He was just joking. Time to check those sarcasm detectors!

An 8GB card, or even 4GB, should be more than enough for downloading whatever you want. I have a 4GB one in my Wii now (hot!) and have about 50 VC and Wiiware games on it, and I've used like one tenth of the free space one it.

Buying a 16-32GB card would be overkill as you'd never ever fill one up.

Wait the Wii supports SDHC now? No more generating giant files of garbage to keep the free space < 2GB? (Not that I actually did it, too lazy.) Nice!

Struct09

Colonel Nelson said:
Wait the Wii supports SDHC now? No more generating giant files of garbage to keep the free space < 2GB? (Not that I actually did it, too lazy.) Nice!

SDHC support went in with the 4.0 update, the same update that lets you play games off your SD card.

I have an 8GB Kingston that works well, it's fast enough. Before that I had a 2GB OCZ that was also quick.

Salmon

Colonel Nelson said:
Yeah, and you can store (AND play) all your VC and Wiiware games on the SD card! Sweet huh?

Xavien

Sandisk Extreme SD cards have always worked very fast and reliably for me (remember SD card transfer speed is not fixed, some cheapy SD cards have truly craptacular transfer speeds).

SandiskExtremeIII8gbSD.jpg

boiled goose

good with gravy
UltimateIke said:
Just remember that SDHC cards don't work with disk games like Guitar Hero/Rock Band, Animal Crossing, SSBB, ExciteTruck, etc.

for the downloadable content or the game saves only?

I want to be able to use the same card for DLC and wiiware/vc games.
Can you use the RB2, GHWT, AC DLC from a SDHC card?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
amtentori said:
for the downloadable content or the game saves only?

I want to be able to use the same card for DLC and wiiware/vc games.
Can you use the RB2, GHWT, AC DLC from a SDHC card?

No.

Davey Cakes

tass0 said:
What is the max I should spend for a sd card for just a few gamesaves (3 - 6 saves)?
You can get a 2GB one off of Newegg.com for six bucks, free shipping. That'll set you for life.

I have a standard 2GB SD card for GHWT DLC and a 4GB SDHC for VC/WiiWare. I only swap cards when I play Guitar Hero, so it isn't a big deal. Hopefully GH5 and other future DLC games will be SDHC compatible.

Top Bottom