• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

I don't have a Wii U, but I've been craving one. I didn't think I would, but this game just intrigues me so damn much.

Are you guys still loving it a week later?

Got back into it last night, and the more I play, the more I like it...I think I'm one more play session away from being totally hooked.

Well really the whole game goes back to more core fundemental game design. Re-doing areas if you fail. No instant checkpoints. No health regen. Learning by progressing, progressing by learning. It's a fantastic title in that sense but today we have been so held by the hand in gaming, alot of people equate these mechanics to "game sucks".

Agreed, I like it, more of the old school way of playing without contstant checkpoints, I found myself getting lost, and having to just explore to find the next trigger point.

Downhome

What did it say?

It said...

Hello!
If you’re still alive…
Meet here next Wednesday!
Please…

ZombiU_DevTeam

I checked this morning right after 8am est and noticed the message was gone, and I looked all around that little area and never saw anything out of the ordinary. So, who knows...

Aw man, since I beat it, I have to delete my save and start over to even see these community things, that's kinda jacked. Anyone tried backing up their save to a USB drive?

Hey guys, I'm at the part where
you need to get the second book from the flat of that fellow, Ron something if I recall. Just about to use the elevators that are side by side.
How much would you estimate I have left?

I am loving this game. I was excited when I first saw previews, a little unnerved when I saw some of the reviews, bought it on a hunch and am absolutely loving it. I am the type of guy who moves slowly and methodically and clears everything and this game was built for me. I haven't had this much pure fun with a game in forever. The gamepad is used well. Here is hoping for more games like this on the wii u.

Nairume

Banned
It said...

Hello!
If you’re still alive…
Meet here next Wednesday!
Please…

ZombiU_DevTeam

I checked this morning right after 8am est and noticed the message was gone, and I looked all around that little area and never saw anything out of the ordinary. So, who knows...
I noticed a whole bunch of user made frown faces and skulls on that wall when I checked an hour ago, so I'm wondering if maybe the devs spawned a whole bunch of zombies on them.

Here's what mine says in the place where the message was previously.

6ADA7065-443E-4C6C-BF10-997E79F3D961-1393-0000015708A1D62B.jpg

Here's what it says when I scan it.

8BB93DE8-48AC-42E0-A55F-F91A26008DED-1393-00000158E9F001F2.jpg

oatmeal

Banned
That's awesome. The online integration is much better than I expected.

I died last night and it really hurt me deep inside. Got surrounded by three swat fucks. They are tough to take down, threw a flare but ran into a corner and a fat dude bit me. Gah.

I have no save file where I can fully explore the city, so sadly I'll have to pass.

I still hope for everyone that finds him that his loot is better than the random 0 points dude you find that only brought the 6 ammo pistol with him.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I hope they drop him in the middle of a gigantic horde and when you reach him, he'll only have six chocolate bars. Bwahaha.

Really I hope they're able to patch and add weapons to the game that drop from ZombiU Dev zombies. That'd be really cool and give me a reason to go back into it over and over.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Confession: I have never made use of my planks, even though I have multiple.

Haha, that's the joke. I've used them in a few cases, like I'll plank up the door near the safehouse and the fence while I'm facing the horde there. But playing through, never knowing if I'll need them, they seem like the most useless item to carry around. Not to mention the likelihood that you'll come across a bunch while you're out searching.

The only time I can think of planks being useful is during the first base defense super early into the game, if you can even get enough before that mission triggers.

For the rest of the game, they're pretty much useless due to the way you aggressively progress through the city.

SuperPac

So I'm not that far into the game, just got to the outskirts of Buckingham palace. What's your strategy for dealing with multiple zombies rushing you at once?
I ran out of ammo at the turret when those swarms of zombies started pouring out, and then got surrounded. Maybe I should have conserved my ammo more during the shootin' gallery portion of that...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So I'm not that far into the game, just got to the outskirts of Buckingham palace. What's your strategy for dealing with multiple zombies rushing you at once?
I ran out of ammo at the turret when those swarms of zombies started pouring out, and then got surrounded. Maybe I should have conserved my ammo more during the shootin' gallery portion of that...

Near the save point at the turret there is
a box with a lot more turret ammo

From what the word is, a lone zombie popped up with some random gear in its B.O.B. I guess it was whoever could get to the bugger first would get the gear.

I hope it succeeds as well. I really want a sequel. I can say it being a Wii U only title doens't help but I'm hoping they realize that and set there sales expectations accordingly, especially with a launch game.

Hobby

Late game spoilers:
I didn't realize just how much I was making use of the gamepad until going through Buckingham Palace again after collecting all of Dee's letters and having it flicker on and off repeatedly. Didn't make me panic or anything, but it made me tread more carefully than I typically do.

Not done yet, but it's been a really cool game. Just wish there was a bit more to the melee combat.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Serious time (and spoiler protected)
How do I get to the Tower of London? I'm very lost looking for it. I thought it would be the path on Brick Lane but there is a code I don't know for it... ugh... spent the better part of an hour just wandering around

So since I have continously posted my progress, I shall keep doing so until I beat the game. About 2/3rds in.

Areas name only spoilers for this line of text:
Nursery End/Church Beginning

I died after getting the meds from the teleporting nurse, so I backtracked, and was suprised to find zombies in places I already killed them. Luckely I drew them our one by one and eventually got back to my previous survivor, right next to an online survivor to boot.

I made my way out've the nursery and was about to exit the uh...nursery fields when a swarm of zombies started attacking me while prepper was trying to get the door open. Took a few out but died. Next time going in, there were only a couple left and I finally escaped the Nursery. Got back to the uh...Petrol Station (I don't really care to remember the names of these places.) and the guy is now a zombie and killed his son, so I killed him. One thing that bothers me was I couldn't bash the sons head in to be sure that he was dead, same with the nurse and trust me, you'll want to bash her in. Wtf game?

By this time I have a...fire grenade and a couple flares and a big health pack with me, I also find and keep a shotgun with me right about now. So I go towards the Church and use the fire grenade against a couple zombies running at me. Find a mine and keep going, killing a couple zombies here and there, when I see ten red dots on my motion sensor.

Surely these are rats...right? I get my mine out just incase and proceed with caution...when I hear the scream of a zombie. I see like twelve zombies rushing at me really fucking fast so I quickly set the mine down and back the fuck up and the mine goes off...and kills

EVERYONE
ONE
OF
THEM

Fucking awesome. I went a little further and found another warp point so I saved and quit. Almost at the end of the journey guys, its been great.

Edit: @ islave...or whatever your name was (sorry!) go back to where you last were at the
swamp area, where you first get the Tower mission then go through the swamp. I had got lost at that part too.

Unfortunatly I don't remember whe the swamp area is...

How active has this game been? Does it seem like it sold well, or do we have no idea? I really want it to succeed.

Nothing official yet, but I've seen a few posts on various forums saying that some shops had sold out, and I think someone (on here?) said that it was the third busiest game on Miiverse soon after launch.

I think it will sell over a million before Christmas. Ambitious prediction, I know, but you've got to take into account the ZombiU bundles in Europe and the fact that the survival horror genre, and zombie goodness in particular, is pretty big in Japan. The Wii U is going to fly off shelves in Japan due to having Monster Hunter Ultimate and a Beta for Dragon Quest X available on launch day, and I can see plenty of people picking up ZombiU for the reasons I've mentioned.

This could be the start of a huge franchise for Ubisoft, as long as they don't do an Activision and milk it to death.

I'd like to know this as well

You find an infected zombie with the players name above it. If they died with a decent score, then they are the 'red' zombies and harder to defeat but usually carry a weapon upgrade.

also, THE LOOT. Dead players tend to have some great stuff unless they died really early.

NateDrake

You find an infected zombie with the players name above it. If they died with a decent score, then they are the 'red' zombies and harder to defeat but usually carry a weapon upgrade.

also, THE LOOT. Dead players tend to have some great stuff unless they died really early.

But do they randomly appear in your game? I'm just wondering if there is a reason I haven't encountered one yet.

I think the guy that reviewed it is probably the same type of person who was complaining about "tank controls" while the rest of us were busy exploring a mansion with chris, jill & barry.

ZombiU is a damn fine game. No other way around it. There are clipping problems here and there and combat on stairs can look funny (zombies literally shooting into the air) but there is nothing in this game that would warrant anything below a 7. I respect Edge's score because I feel like they're one of the few outlets that use a 10 point scale appropriately.

The gamespot, ign and game informer reviews are complete and utter nonsense. All of those reviews were published before the online functionality was even available. I know for damn sure they aren't going to do a retraction or an update. The majority of videogame journalists are not journalists. The majority of them probably don't even have a degree in journalism, or english for that matter. Especially not the clowns at ign. Those guys are too busy living the supposed lifestyle of a "gaming journalist" that they've forgotten that their job is to act as watchdogs and report news so we can make informed decisions. It's the same concept with local news and world news.

Besides, people on neogaf should be smarter than to judge games solely on reviews. Let the masses have their opinions formed through others. Not me though, I'll play it for myself and decide.

/rant

Yup, i agree!

majik13

i think you have to have friends that die and they become those named zombies.

I read on miiverse that randoms will enter your game, even if you do no have any NNID friends. I have super spotty internet, and a connection that keeps dropping(hopefully getting new service up tonight) but I am about 8 hours in and I have yet to receive any notifications, or seen other infected survivors :( Though I occasionally see messages and can leave messages.

Sanctuary

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with your friends list. I'm also not sure if when a person dies, if they instantly spawn (or if there's a very short grace period for the player before their corpse is fair game to all) in everyone's game, or if it's just a cluster of random people. I've killed about six various player corpses and I don't have anyone on my friends list yet. Most of them were outside of the safe house, or below the heavy machine gun, but I killed a pinata
in the kitchen area of the nursery.

Also going to experiment on my current run to see if ammo types that drop are tied specifically to the weapon types that you own. So if you don't pickup a certain type, ammo other than the matching type would drop. I hope that's the case, because there's a lot of useless guns in this game and the ammo for them is way too rare. I would rather have more ammo of the gun types that I use than having a gun that has 1 round by default that you must collect 60 - 70 rounds just for it to actually be worth using at all due to it's pitiful firepower and spread.

I still say the Crossbow is the best weapon in the game hands down. Even if you don't headshot enemies (it's the easiest weapon to snipe with), you can take any enemy 1 on 1 with it, and it takes on average three shots to kill your average zombie. You simply fire anywhere on it's body, and then you can reload and fire again before it reaches you. The
red aura/upgrade zombies take six shots, and the spitters take the same I believe
. It's much faster than the annoying bat, and as long as you don't miss, you get all of your ammo back.

It's probably the best selling third party game but well under Mario U (and Nintendo Land).

I'm not sure how that's actually relevant, when you consider that most of the third party launch titles are ports that people already owned for the other systems if they really wanted those games and could afford them.

Played this for a few hours after buying it today. I hafta say, graphically I find it a little underwhelming.

Doesn't mean I'm not having a blast with it though- I love the design here. Games with deliberate combat are so refreshing, and I dig the rogue-like elements.

Effect

Okay I cheated a little. I looked at a few minutes of video on youtube of what I had to do in
Buckingham Palace after I reached the Doctor
. Even with doing that there is nothing like experiencing things for yourself. Even if you know what could be coming that only helps you so much. You still feel the tension build. You still jump back and have to react in the moment. What you have for equipment is going to be different as well. Etc. Was still a fun experience and got through it alive and back to the safe house.

I noticed a item on one of the scaffolding there. I figure I have to
go through the wall after the room with the fire to reach it. Should I expect anything there once I start crawling through? Is that the crossbow since I found bolts in the room with the fire
?

Need to gather more supplies now. Do items in certain areas respawn if the CCTV cameras show there is ammo in an area? I got items from the area before but they still show the same thing. Haven't been back to it though.

Almost afraid of going back to the
Buckingham Palace gates
. I think there was a grenade I left and would like to get it but not sure if it's worth it (on my 4th survivor and my score is 3980 and would like to get that hire and just not die) or if that type of area respawns as well. Need to find more flares as well. Those have been working great for me.

go through the wall after the room with the fire to reach it. Should I expect anything there once I start crawling through? Is that the crossbow since I found bolts in the room with the fire
?

Need to gather more supplies now. Do items in certain areas respawn if the CCTV cameras show there is ammo in an area? I got items from the area before but they still show the same thing. Haven't been back to it though.

I think there was a grenade I left and would like to get it but not sure if it's worth it.

As far as the room with the scaffolding and fire, all levels of that should be accessible from that room except for the area that you have to come out a duct. You have to come back to that later. Take the ladder to your left when you first enter the room and you should be able to reach any other part of the room though.

Edit: I honestly wouldn't worry about the grenade. I found that as well as mines and planks to be the most useless items. I dropped them as son as I picked them up.

Hah, that's 2 of my posts that have showed up on go nintendo

Welp, thought I was done with the game but played again. Late-ish game spoilers.

Got lost in the Church Catacombs...but eventually found my way to the point of the spitter, and a whole bunch of regular zombies on the thin walkways. Shot at the spitter, and a couple zombies before I ran out've bullets and lured them off the walkways. Went through it, knocked another zombie off with the cricket bat and got through...only to be kidnapped by some fucking people.

So was it all a trap? Or was there really a girl there? Kinda having a hard time following the story. Also what happened to my kidnapper? Get eaten by a zombie? But how? I WANNA KNOW THESE THINGS.

Lost five survivors in the arena. I am glad that I could start from there...eventually thought of the explosions and got through it after running out've bullets a couple times. Then before the kidnapper...goes away he says to push the button...when theres four armored zombies behind the gate :lol

I got all of them with pistol bullets before opening the game though. I r awsum

Apparantly prepper got mad at me and says hes out? But he talked to me when I got back to the safe house? Feels like this game is losing it abit...still a great game but now I have to do what I hate to do most in games. I have to fucking search for stuff. Fucking letters...

Still a great experience and can't wait to finish it! I am nearing the end, I can feel it.

Btw: is there anyway to upgrade the safe house item storage limit? I have too many items :lol

It doesn't help that one of the slots can't be used because of that placeholder glitch!

Edit: The fuck? Mines being useless items? Tell that to my mine that killed ten zombies in one shot.

Sanctuary

Okay I cheated a little. I looked at a few minutes of video on youtube of what I had to do in
Buckingham Palace after I reached the Doctor
. Even with doing that there is nothing like experiencing things for yourself.

I have no idea what you're talking about. There's literally one "oh shit" moment in Buckingham
your first time through anyway, the final time is a bit more hectic

?

The crossbow is right after you pick up
the XL bag. It's in the same crawlspace area, but it's in the section where you take the ladder down and walk through the revolving section of the wall that leads to the large piano/stairs room near the beginning.

Effect

Thanks. Didn't even think to look back in the other direction. Just wanted to get out and didn't bother looking around as much as I should.

The mines might be good if you know what to expect. Perhaps more useful on the second playthrough when you know you can trigger and lure a group. Using them in the middle of a fight is insanely risky. You can do it but you need to back up and 180 and keep moving as fast as you can. The blast radius seems to be big as well.

@Sanctuary It's not about the "oh shit" moment. Each person handle's horror differently and the game's atmosphere is doing a number on me. Not being a big horror fan as well normally is helping to keep me on my toes. So even when I know something could happen it's still getting to me when all I'm hearing is noise from the game, the radar on the gamepad, seeing my low ammo count, and not wanting to lose my character.

Sanctuary

I stocked up on any mines that dropped, specifically for
the post nursery event
as well as possibly needing them later, but only found myself putting them to any good use once the entire time through my last run. Planks were okay at the beginning section while learning the game, especially
the defending the safe house event
, but in general mines and planks are a waste of space.

@Sanctuary It's not about the "oh shit" moment. Each person handle's horror differently and the game's atmosphere is doing a number on me. Not being a big horror fan as well normally is helping to keep me on my toes. So even when I know something could happen it's still getting to me when all I'm hearing is noise from the game, the radar on the gamepad, seeing my low ammo count, and not wanting to lose my character.

I get you. I grew up on horror movies, and have played most Survival Horror type games (except the Fatal Frame and Deadly Premenition games), so I guess I've built up a tolerance to that kind of thing. That's not to say I wasn't startled a number of times with this game though, because I certainly was. On my initial playthrough, the tension was insane, especially once reaching
the nursery.
That had more to do with me psyching myself out though than anything else. It was because of all of the prerelease footage and hype suggesting that it was one of the hardest sections of the game, and that almost everyone dies there.
I didn't actually die there, but the section right after it gave me fits, and I think I got really lucky the first time there.
I didn't die until a little ways past that, due to being completely unprepared
for a very unexpected event.
I think I practiced that section maybe five times, learning it inside and out for my no death run attempt. It paid off too.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Jesus, Tower of London is brutal. I went on a suicide 6-bullet mission to retrieve my pack from my previous survivor who happened to be stuck in the middle of a huge hoard of walkers... Lets just say it went even worse then I thought it would.

Top Bottom